TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
March 29, 2024, 08:02:22 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 18   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Re: Bargain Bin  (Read 128119 times)
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #20 on: January 28, 2019, 05:38:01 PM »

Doesn't get much more of a bargain than this.  Free Teardrop Explodes download from '79 from the man himself:

https://www.headheritage.co.uk/the-teardrop-explodes-bristol-1979/?fbclid=IwAR2c7rqdgGDFuPGUub4lYxHVPolmcV3dD04OOX3X7gW8UkV2dTjrUKpZbQE

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
PaulT
Up pops Paul with the Flowerpot Men
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Gloucester

« Reply #21 on: January 28, 2019, 08:03:00 PM »

Anyone with a passing interest in up-tempo, feelgood, bluegrass flavoured jam band music could do worse than downloading "Travelogue 2018" a monster Nugs.net freebie (mp3) from the fab String Cheese Incident. Four CDs worth culled from last year's shows, coming in at 4.5+ hours. An 'andsome bargain indeed.  Smiley

http://nugs.net/browse/music/20917/The-String-Cheese-Incident-mp3-flac-download-Travelogue-2018

Thanks for the tip Ian. I'd not heard any SCI before, but I have to agreed with DMJS - it's a bit one-dimensional for my tastes, but fine to stick on a USB stick for long car journeys, like this weekend just gone...

I used to really enjoy SCI.  Did you see them when they came over?  They can be a bit one dimensional but that is hard to resist!  Thanks for the heads up.

Flobbadob!
Jim
Klaatu barada nikto
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: manchester

Here To Help

« Reply #22 on: January 28, 2019, 10:54:56 PM »

Doesn't get much more of a bargain than this.  Free Teardrop Explodes download from '79 from the man himself:

https://www.headheritage.co.uk/the-teardrop-explodes-bristol-1979/?fbclid=IwAR2c7rqdgGDFuPGUub4lYxHVPolmcV3dD04OOX3X7gW8UkV2dTjrUKpZbQE

Thanks for that David😍👽

The Dude abides
AdrianW
always good to have a target to miss
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: South Cheshire

"The weird bloke"

« Reply #23 on: February 08, 2019, 01:04:14 AM »

This may be old news, but Sainsburys have what looks to be an attractive two for £25 offer on a range of vinyl records, including some double albums. Pity I no longer have a working record deck.

-- Adrian
I cried for madder music and for stronger wine,
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #24 on: February 08, 2019, 06:35:48 AM »

This may be old news, but Sainsburys have what looks to be an attractive two for £25 offer on a range of vinyl records, including some double albums. Pity I no longer have a working record deck.

Buy them for when you do!

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #25 on: February 13, 2019, 07:29:42 PM »

Not really a bargain, but still RELATIVELY cheap for what it is, I just bought a copy of this (SF Sorrow autographed vinyl set) for the (in lieu of) pension fund.  My God, it's beautiful.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xhL9NCYSF6w

PaulT
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #26 on: March 19, 2019, 09:12:03 AM »

For £3 each yesterday - from Quicksilver Music, Market St, Southport - a cracking little shop! - the Ric Sanders Group at Lincoln cathedral (standard CD and binaural/DTS/mpeg video CD) and Johnny Cash "Ain't No Grave).

Flobbadob!
PL (Peter)
able to create swamp magic

Loc: SW Germany

If it`s Wednesday, you survived Tuesday.

« Reply #27 on: March 20, 2019, 07:25:29 AM »

Well bought - Ric Sanders Group at Lincoln Cathedral - a beautiful album.
Enjoy
PaulT
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #28 on: April 04, 2019, 06:57:29 AM »

Another charity shop bargain - an "industry-only", ie not for commercial sale, double CD of trad, Gaelic and Scots music. Breabach, AfroCelts, Skipinnish, Julie Fowlis, Blue Rose Code, Kris Drever and many more... 34 tracks of fine tunes, songs, arrangements and playing. All for £1.50!

Flobbadob!
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #29 on: April 05, 2019, 04:46:33 PM »

Signed Peter Blegvad and Andy Partridge?  Fifteen quid?  Er, ok, then...

https://burningshed.com/store/ape/artists-ape/peter-blegvad-andy-partridge/peterblegvad_gonward_boxset

PaulT
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #30 on: April 11, 2019, 04:52:07 PM »

If you've be tempted to exchange (admittedly for a relative pittance) any of your unwanted CDs or DVDs via the "recyclabox" units to be found in a number of supermarkets... it's too late - as I just discovered. Disks are no longer accepted, just electronic (media) devices, phones etc. Bah! Angry

Flobbadob!
PaulT
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #31 on: April 14, 2019, 10:36:19 PM »

£2 from a charity shop in Middlesbrough today: Jerry Donahue's Telecasting Recast cd.

Flobbadob!
ColinB
a better way to put it
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Lancaster

« Reply #32 on: May 01, 2019, 02:31:15 PM »

4 items for £20 at HMV today

Sarah Jarosz's Undercurrent and Rhiannon Giddens' Freedom Highway for 7 and 8 quid respectively and they're doing 2 books for a fiver so I picked up Down and Out in Paris and London by George Orwell and Billy Bragg's Still Suitable for Miners.

I couldn't remember exactly where I'd heard Sarah Jarosz before but I'm glad I bought her cd as it's a fine collection of songs. Her voice reminds me of someone like Alison Krauss or Gillian Welch. That sort of sound anyway.

Listen to my Off The Beaten Tracks radio shows on Mixcloud
https://www.mixcloud.com/cmbertram/
Nick Reg
The Dreaded
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: NEWCASTLE, STAFFS

Merry Hell have been

« Reply #33 on: May 01, 2019, 02:54:33 PM »

I couldn't remember exactly where I'd heard Sarah Jarosz before but I'm glad I bought her cd as it's a fine collection of songs. Her voice reminds me of someone like Alison Krauss or Gillian Welch. That sort of sound anyway.

She was on the main stage at Shrewsbury FF a couple of years ago, if you were there or watched the live feed.

There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets
ColinB
a better way to put it
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Lancaster

« Reply #34 on: May 01, 2019, 03:39:02 PM »

She was on the main stage at Shrewsbury FF a couple of years ago, if you were there or watched the live feed.

Nope I wasn't there and don't think I saw the live feed. I think it was a video or two I saw last year of the band she's in called I'm With Her. Again, I saw their cd in HMV but just knew I'd seen the name somewhere. I wasn't having a good time remembering things as I knew I'd heard a track by Rhiannon Giddens on the latest Songlines cd but couldn't remember the name of the group she's in and couldn't get online on my phone to google her. That group is called Her Native Daughters which also features Allison Russell of Birds of Chicago.

Listen to my Off The Beaten Tracks radio shows on Mixcloud
https://www.mixcloud.com/cmbertram/
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #35 on: May 07, 2019, 06:19:54 PM »

Quite an expensive bargain, but arguably a bargain nonetheless.  From Richard Morton Jack (on Facebook) via his closed Psychedelic Supermarket FB site:

"Last year an Apple acetate surfaced containing music put together in London and Dublin in 1974 by Chris Thompson, as a possible follow-up release to his classic 1973 Village Thing LP. Thankfully, it was bought by Donald McLeod, a fellow New Zealander, with the intention of working with Chris to share it with fellow music lovers.

Donald has specially pressed 40 copies on heavy lilac vinyl, exclusively for sale through me to collectors in the UK / Europe, on a first-come, first-served basis.

They come in a thick printed board (350gsm) sleeve, containing an insert (with background notes and images) and a poster.

In addition, Chris will sign / dedicate them if you wish.
The cost is 35 GBP (+ P&P from the UK). If you would like one, please PM me. As ever, when they’re gone, they’re gone!"

Alan2
Other peole know stuff so I don't have to
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #36 on: May 07, 2019, 10:15:54 PM »

Sounds nice. I've had the album.on CD for some time (Scenescof). 40 copies ain't many
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #37 on: May 08, 2019, 06:37:18 AM »

Sounds nice. I've had the album.on CD for some time (Scenescof). 40 copies ain't many

This is the (so far, I think) unreleased follow up, Alan  Smiley

PaulT
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #38 on: May 08, 2019, 06:45:08 AM »

Yesterday... a Taraf de Haidouks live cd "Band of Gypsies", The Necks "Silverwater", and the 2005 deluxe reissue of Talking Heads' "Remain in Light", which includes a dvda with a 5.1 surroundsound mix. All for £4.99.

Flobbadob!
Alan2
Other peole know stuff so I don't have to
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #39 on: May 08, 2019, 01:23:12 PM »

This is the (so far, I think) unreleased follow up, Alan  Smiley

So I've discovered since posting David - I joined the Fbk page and looked at the advert. Sold out already, so.i wont be tempted, but thanks for flagging it up.  Roll Eyes
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 18   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: