TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
April 29, 2024, 08:25:07 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Re: Bargain Bin  (Read 134405 times)
RobertD
Holy expletive delighted...
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: New York City

« Reply #360 on: April 06, 2024, 08:36:21 PM »

My uni roommate was a massive Rush fan, and i was educated/tormented by them for a few years, and saw them live twice. I respect the musicianship but never quite got into them beyond  some of the basics. Occasionally I will dust off the compilation I have by them but I seem to hit the skip button eventually…sorry to the Rush fans!

I'm just a little shy of Surf's Up and I'm deeper than Twist and Shout....Iain Matthews
PaulT
Up pops Paul with the Flowerpot Men
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Gloucester

« Reply #361 on: April 06, 2024, 09:01:57 PM »

Mike - thanks for the tip!

Today's haul... Iarla O'Lionaird "Foxlight" and Charlie Haden "Rambling Boy", 50p each

Flobbadob!
Nick Reg
The Dreaded
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: NEWCASTLE, STAFFS

Merry Hell have been

« Reply #362 on: April 08, 2024, 01:01:03 PM »

Couple of jazz samplers for 50p each, and Rush's 3CD "Different Stages - Live" set for a quid.  Never been a fan of Rush, never really listened to them much. so thought I'd give 'em a chance!

And I did. And it's gone into the "donate to charity shop" pile. Not for me. Fine musicians, but I can't get into it.

Can't understand that... but then I would probably say very much the same thing about some of the bands you're into, so chacun à son goût.

I saw them 41 years ago and enjoyed them but when I listen to anything but the most classic of classic material I tend to wonder why they're playing 7 notes when only 3 would suffice.  I think that a lot about music, mind, so it's not to be taken seriously (hides King Crimson and VDGG material under the bed quickly so nobody accuses him of being a hypocrite)...
Can't possibly be as bad as Inner Mounting Flame by John McLaughlin.

There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets
Glen S
and I do love a bit of Macca whimsy

Loc: Oxford

« Reply #363 on: April 08, 2024, 03:02:14 PM »

Couple of jazz samplers for 50p each, and Rush's 3CD "Different Stages - Live" set for a quid.  Never been a fan of Rush, never really listened to them much. so thought I'd give 'em a chance!

And I did. And it's gone into the "donate to charity shop" pile. Not for me. Fine musicians, but I can't get into it.

Can't understand that... but then I would probably say very much the same thing about some of the bands you're into, so chacun à son goût.

I saw them 41 years ago and enjoyed them but when I listen to anything but the most classic of classic material I tend to wonder why they're playing 7 notes when only 3 would suffice.  I think that a lot about music, mind, so it's not to be taken seriously (hides King Crimson and VDGG material under the bed quickly so nobody accuses him of being a hypocrite)...
Can't possibly be as bad as Inner Mounting Flame by John McLaughlin.

Many years ago in a article, one of my musical heroes Dave Gregory of XTC, mentioned "Inner Mounting Flame" as a big influence on him in his formative years, which immediately prompted me to go out and buy a copy...

I still have it and have tried several times to get into it, but have so far failed big time! Grin
Nick Reg
The Dreaded
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: NEWCASTLE, STAFFS

Merry Hell have been

« Reply #364 on: April 15, 2024, 10:57:21 AM »

We have a local band called Greg Murray and The Seven Wonders, who play at Bank holiday festivals , small venues etc , and have played at The Acoustic Festival. Many would consider them a party band but they are a cut above due to Gregs outstanding original songs. I enjoy them immensely. I was therefore chuffed to find a 2005 solo album by Greg in a local charity shop. On getting it home I was intrigued to see a list of "thanks to" including one John Kettle as producer. Of course I had to follow this up. John remembers the album and played quite a bit on it himself , and has asked for a copy. Quite a find. The album is pretty good too , as, by the way, is John's latest excursion with Phil Odgers on The Songs of Phil Ochs. Will have to discuss further when we see Merry Hell twice next month.

There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets
PJayBe

« Reply #365 on: April 16, 2024, 10:05:49 PM »

Greg is great.  I have an album and a triple album download of his.  All superb stuff.
PaulT
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #366 on: April 17, 2024, 06:11:55 PM »

A long weekend in Wales resulted in the following:

e2k "SHIFT" for 95p (from COB Records in Porthmadog);

Simple Minds "Live in the City of Light" for £1.60, and a CD+DVD by Dolennu (multi-tracked & looped violins, synths & drums) for £1.10, both from charity shops in Bridgnorth on the way home.  The former because it's got the late John Giblin on bass; the latter is reminiscent in parts of pieces by Ed Alleyne-Johnson, Ric Sanders and Don "Sugarcane" Harris, with a smattering of Jerry Goodman and Jean-Luc Ponty.

Flobbadob!
bassline (Mike)
the Spens is mightier with the Swarb
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Wolverhampton

« Reply #367 on: April 17, 2024, 06:46:44 PM »

Simple Minds "Live in the City of Light" for £1.60, and a CD+DVD by Dolennu (multi-tracked & looped violins, synths & drums) for £1.10, both from charity shops in Bridgnorth on the way home.  The former because it's got the late John Giblin on bass; the latter is reminiscent in parts of pieces by Ed Alleyne-Johnson, Ric Sanders and Don "Sugarcane" Harris, with a smattering of Jerry Goodman and Jean-Luc Ponty.

All Hail Cob Records.
A huge chunk of my collection came from there, after finding it on a school trip in early 1978, for 40 years, give or take.
I'd take a trip, buy a load of stuff, hang out on the beach for a bit, then come home.

Well I never did..
PaulT
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #368 on: April 17, 2024, 07:45:17 PM »

All Hail Cob Records.
A huge chunk of my collection came from there, after finding it on a school trip in early 1978, for 40 years, give or take.
I'd take a trip, buy a load of stuff, hang out on the beach for a bit, then come home.

If I didn't already own the 2CD version of "Liquid Tension Experiment 3", I'd have been tempted by a 2CD + Bluray version...

Flobbadob!
Alan2
Other peole know stuff so I don't have to
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #369 on: April 18, 2024, 08:32:47 AM »

All Hail Cob Records.

I didn't know COB was still around.  Way back in the past I used to buy from them mailorder to save a little and avoid going 'into town'.  Thinking about  it now it wasn't a great service as returns were a hassle and their packaging was poor, by today's standards.
bassline (Mike)
the Spens is mightier with the Swarb
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Wolverhampton

« Reply #370 on: April 18, 2024, 09:36:50 AM »

All Hail Cob Records.

I didn't know COB was still around.  Way back in the past I used to buy from them mailorder to save a little and avoid going 'into town'.  Thinking about  it now it wasn't a great service as returns were a hassle and their packaging was poor, by today's standards.

I did mail order with them for a while, I never had any issues with that.
I took great joy in looking through the list whenever it came out.
They opened branches in Bangor, which I visited, and Wrexham, which I didn't, but only the original remains.
The first thing I bought from there was an Italian picture sleeve single of Pink Floyd's Point Me At The Sky c/w Careful With That Axe, Eugene.
I can't remember the last thing, but I've got a few thousand albums now, I only had about a dozen then.

Well I never did..
Peter Allen

« Reply #371 on: April 18, 2024, 11:28:01 AM »

I too have fond memories of COB mail order and their long stock lists  , no recollections of packaging issues , only item I know I still have is "Adventure" by Television on red vinyl , bought from them in 1979 for £2.29 , a bargain
Jules Gray
Go on, groove my truffles
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Cheltenham

What makes the buzzard buzz?

« Reply #372 on: April 18, 2024, 11:31:55 AM »

The first thing I bought from there was an Italian picture sleeve single of Pink Floyd's Point Me At The Sky c/w Careful With That Axe, Eugene.

I've got one of those.

Jules

Now be thankful for good things below
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #373 on: April 18, 2024, 03:26:13 PM »

I too have fond memories of COB mail order and their long stock lists  , no recollections of packaging issues , only item I know I still have is "Adventure" by Television on red vinyl , bought from them in 1979 for £2.29 , a bargain

£10.85 today (Bank of England Inflation Calculator).

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
PJayBe

« Reply #374 on: April 18, 2024, 05:35:45 PM »

Used to love our annual holiday in Porthmadog.  Was allowed an hour or two in Cob by the missus, never came away empty handed!!!
Will S
A twinset of librarians
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: in deepest Devon

« Reply #375 on: April 21, 2024, 05:43:17 PM »

Charity shop bargains in Truro yesterday - £1 each for Neil Young's Decade compliation, and for the 2CD expanded and remastered vesrion of Fleetwood Mac's Tusk

All the diamonds in the world
That mean anything to me,
Are conjured up by wind and sunlight
Sparkling on the sea
(Bruce Cockburn)
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #376 on: April 21, 2024, 06:43:29 PM »

Charity shop bargains in Truro yesterday - £1 each for Neil Young's Decade compliation, and for the 2CD expanded and remastered vesrion of Fleetwood Mac's Tusk

I love Decade.  Had it really early on, so I still hear (in my head) some of it in that order...

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Jules Gray
Go on, groove my truffles
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Cheltenham

What makes the buzzard buzz?

« Reply #377 on: April 21, 2024, 11:38:07 PM »

I love Decade.  Had it really early on, so I still hear (in my head) some of it in that order...

One of the most satisfying compilations... by anybody.

Jules

Now be thankful for good things below
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #378 on: April 23, 2024, 08:35:37 AM »

Ashley's Guv'nor 4cd box set for £11.26 inc delivery.  I've got a couple of them already but at that price, it seemed churlish to argue...

steve-n
Ironic Hooverer

Loc: Leafy Warwickshire

« Reply #379 on: April 23, 2024, 12:09:25 PM »

[quote

You're supposed to tell us when it's at the cheap price, man... Wink
[/quote]

Cheesy
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: