TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
April 28, 2024, 07:49:39 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 20   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Re: Bargain Bin  (Read 134319 times)
Jules Gray
Go on, groove my truffles
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Cheltenham

What makes the buzzard buzz?

« Reply #320 on: November 22, 2023, 10:56:16 PM »

Another half price offer from Euro Amazon. This time it's the Germans, who have the 6CD edition of The Beach Boys' Sail on Sailor for under 50 notes...

https://www.amazon.de/dp/B0BG2Y52CV/ref=pe_27091401_487024491_TE_item

Jules

Now be thankful for good things below
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #321 on: November 23, 2023, 08:04:17 AM »

Another half price offer from Euro Amazon. This time it's the Germans, who have the 6CD edition of The Beach Boys' Sail on Sailor for under 50 notes...

Jules

£48.34 v £111.76.

Wow.  Thank you.

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #322 on: November 23, 2023, 06:09:36 PM »

Jules

Tempting but the well has run dry for the time being.
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #323 on: November 23, 2023, 06:34:14 PM »

I've just received a very nice Free Reed Swarb box set for £25 delivered.  No complaints!

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Alan2
Other peole know stuff so I don't have to
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #324 on: November 24, 2023, 08:59:17 AM »

I've just received a very nice Free Reed Swarb box set for £25 delivered.  No complaints!

New?  Sounds like a bargain.
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #325 on: November 24, 2023, 09:11:30 AM »

25% off Earth recordings (Trees, Bert Jansch, Trevor Lucas, Pearls Before Swine etc.) releases on Bandcamp today

Redeem coupon: blackearthday

https://earthrecordings.bandcamp.com/music

PJayBe

« Reply #326 on: November 28, 2023, 10:22:49 PM »

Regarding this :

The good news : Mine arrived today.

The bad news : I have to wait a month to hear it.....
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #327 on: November 29, 2023, 08:07:37 AM »

As good as - with one corner tear on the box (probably from poor packaging tbh), but otherwise... It's actually one of my favourite of the Free Reed boxes.

Glen S
and I do love a bit of Macca whimsy

Loc: Oxford

« Reply #328 on: November 29, 2023, 09:34:26 AM »

As good as - with one corner tear on the box (probably from poor packaging tbh), but otherwise... It's actually one of my favourite of the Free Reed boxes.

Now, that's a real bargain! Smiley

For some reason I never did get around to buying the Swarb Free Reed set, although I have the Fairport, RT and Cropredy releases which get regular revisits. It seems a lot of love went into the creation of these boxed sets, and I still enjoy the experience of finding hidden gems and browsing through the booklets.

It appears that the individual CDs, Booklets etc (minus the outer box), are available from the Free Reed website for £4 each, which seems like great value!  

http://www.free-reed.co.uk/
« Last Edit: November 29, 2023, 09:46:36 AM by Glen S » Logged
GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #329 on: November 29, 2023, 11:23:02 AM »

Regarding this :

The good news : Mine arrived today.

The bad news : I have to wait a month to hear it.....

Mine arrived on Monday but I'll have to wait a month before I have time to hear most of it.

I did play the Blu-Ray last night though, which sounded great.
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #330 on: November 29, 2023, 11:30:34 AM »

For some reason I never did get around to buying the Swarb Free Reed set, although I have the Fairport, RT and Cropredy releases which get regular revisits. It seems a lot of love went into the creation of these boxed sets, and I still enjoy the experience of finding hidden gems and browsing through the booklets.

It appears that the individual CDs, Booklets etc (minus the outer box), are available from the Free Reed website for £4 each, which seems like great value!  

Good luck with that.  I've sent them messages in the past and they've never responded despite theoretically them still being in business.

Glen S
and I do love a bit of Macca whimsy

Loc: Oxford

« Reply #331 on: November 29, 2023, 11:34:14 AM »

Good luck with that.  I've sent them messages in the past and they've never responded despite theoretically them still being in business.

Oh! That's a shame...I must admit, I was tempted! Undecided
blagden
Money for
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: South God's Own Country

I am a rebel - whilst ever my wife will let me be!

« Reply #332 on: November 29, 2023, 04:20:20 PM »

From the Stockport Vinyl Fair at the weekend for £1 each - the 3LP set Lotus by Santana, three Barclay James Harvest LP's and a Manfred Mann's Earth Band one all in very good condition.

Coincidently passed Strawberry Studios on the way back to the train station where BJH did alot of thier recordings and bizarrely where Nigel Sedaka recorded Solitaire?
Nick Reg
The Dreaded
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: NEWCASTLE, STAFFS

Merry Hell have been

« Reply #333 on: November 30, 2023, 10:36:28 AM »

From a charity shop
Game of Thrones series 1, 2 and 3 box set 15 DVDs  for £1
Harry Potter 8 films box set on 8 DVDs for £2
Wasgij jigsaw (i love them) box set of 3 puzzles for £5. I initially thought that I had done 2 of them but all three are original pictures on which puzzles were based ( normally you are shown a picture and the puzzle itself is based on what those in the picture can see or alternatively years into the future).

There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets
PaulT
Up pops Paul with the Flowerpot Men
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Gloucester

« Reply #334 on: December 01, 2023, 10:18:17 PM »

A 2CD set by Damo Suzuki's Networks, recorded live in Hollywood and Paris. Just over £2 from CD Bazaar in Prague, while I was there for the Crimson Marathon gig, which was superb, btw.

Flobbadob!
Nick Reg
The Dreaded
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Merry Hell have been

« Reply #335 on: December 12, 2023, 01:41:57 PM »

Charity shop CDs 5 for a quid.

2 by Bruce Guthro
Donnie Munro live double cd acoustic
Skippinish
and to make up the 5 Best of Barbara Dickson  (because I wanted The Caravan Song)

Bit of a Scottish theme there.

davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #336 on: December 19, 2023, 10:07:54 AM »

Bargain of the century (but be as generous as you can be).  All of Daniel Johnston's genius from the 80s and 90s available on a 'pay what you want' basis until 24:00 on the 20th.  Remastered by Kramer and money to the estate.  Buy, buy, buy...

https://danieljohnston.bandcamp.com/

Nick Reg
The Dreaded
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Merry Hell have been

« Reply #337 on: December 19, 2023, 11:12:57 AM »

Bargain of the century (but be as generous as you can be).  All of Daniel Johnston's genius from the 80s and 90s available on a 'pay what you want' basis until 24:00 on the 20th.  Remastered by Kramer and money to the estate.  Buy, buy, buy...

https://danieljohnston.bandcamp.com/

Who is he?

Jim G
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Bridport ,Dorset

« Reply #338 on: December 19, 2023, 03:17:38 PM »

I love Daniel Johnson's stuff.

He is classified as an "Outsider" musician whose music was admired by the likes of Kurt Cobain, Tom Waits, the Flaming Lips and Sonic Youth.

There is a documentary film about his life, death and works called "The Devil and Daniel Johnson' (it was available free on Amazon Prime a while ago) which is a fascinating viewing of a tortured creative.

An appearances towards the latter part of his life was captured on video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JkczI1-be1k a really moving and fragile performance with Glen Hansard.  His solo recordings and performances, like so many outsider musicians are pretty raw and sometimes difficult for people to get into - I think this reveals what a great song writer he was.
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #339 on: December 19, 2023, 03:43:28 PM »

I love Daniel Johnson's stuff.

He is classified as an "Outsider" musician whose music was admired by the likes of Kurt Cobain, Tom Waits, the Flaming Lips and Sonic Youth.

There is a documentary film about his life, death and works called "The Devil and Daniel Johnson' (it was available free on Amazon Prime a while ago) which is a fascinating viewing of a tortured creative.

An appearances towards the latter part of his life was captured on video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JkczI1-be1k a really moving and fragile performance with Glen Hansard.  His solo recordings and performances, like so many outsider musicians are pretty raw and sometimes difficult for people to get into - I think this reveals what a great song writer he was.

I'm glad somebody's got the patience to respond to a "who is he" query like that.  I just mumbled "FFS, just google it (or don't)" under my breath Wink Grin

Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 20   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: