TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
January 29, 2022, 04:18:34 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: David Crosby on Sky Arts  (Read 7439 times)
ColinB
a better way to put it
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Lancaster

« Reply #20 on: November 19, 2020, 02:47:16 PM »

One snippet of news I picked up on Twitter is that Crosby has recorded a version of For Free with Sarah Jarosz. Quite a thrill for her. As she says, "Singing a Joni tune with @thedavidcrosby... what could be better??" Looks like it's going to be included on his next record.

My favourite version of that is the one on CSN's Allies, which I think was recorded live in the late 70's.

Allies was a bit of a mixed bag what with there being two studio tracks at the start of what was essentially a live album. For Free and Shadow Captain were from the 77 tour with the other live tracks being from 82. As it says on the album's Wiki page...

"Presumably they were chosen as they were strong David Crosby performances, something becoming more difficult for Crosby to muster evidenced by his minimal participation on the band's previous studio album as he dealt with personal difficulties that would eventually lead to his time in prison."

Personal difficulties being a nice way of saying he had a serious drug problem.

Listen to my Off The Beaten Tracks radio shows on Mixcloud
https://www.mixcloud.com/cmbertram/
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Caer

« Reply #21 on: November 19, 2020, 02:50:37 PM »

One snippet of news I picked up on Twitter is that Crosby has recorded a version of For Free with Sarah Jarosz. Quite a thrill for her. As she says, "Singing a Joni tune with @thedavidcrosby... what could be better??" Looks like it's going to be included on his next record.

My favourite version of that is the one on CSN's Allies, which I think was recorded live in the late 70's.

Allies was a bit of a mixed bag what with there being two studio tracks at the start of what was essentially a live album. For Free and Shadow Captain were from the 77 tour with the other live tracks being from 82. As it says on the album's Wiki page...

"Presumably they were chosen as they were strong David Crosby performances, something becoming more difficult for Crosby to muster evidenced by his minimal participation on the band's previous studio album as he dealt with personal difficulties that would eventually lead to his time in prison."

Personal difficulties being a nice way of saying he had a serious drug problem.

And yet, and yet....the drugged up idiot could still sing.  I saw a Wembley Arena show in '83, some of David's performances were great.  At the encore, he turned up soaking, which was apparently because Stills (I think the legend goes) had thrown a bucket of water over him to extinguish his crack pipe.  It's a funny old world....

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Jules Gray
Go on, groove my truffles
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Cheltenham

What makes the buzzard buzz?

« Reply #22 on: November 19, 2020, 03:17:45 PM »

At the encore, he turned up soaking, which was apparently because Stills (I think the legend goes) had thrown a bucket of water over him to extinguish his crack pipe.  

Desperate times.

Flash forward a few years and Crosby's dried out, and it's Stills who is still shoveling snow like there's no tomorrow.

Jules

Now be thankful for good things below
John From Austin
Donovan is my new texting buddy
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Austin

« Reply #23 on: November 19, 2020, 04:43:57 PM »

At the encore, he turned up soaking, which was apparently because Stills (I think the legend goes) had thrown a bucket of water over him to extinguish his crack pipe.  

Desperate times.

Flash forward a few years and Crosby's dried out, and it's Stills who is still shoveling snow like there's no tomorrow.

Jules

I can measure the differences among Crosby, Stills and Nash, having seen all three in live performance within the last few years. Crosby and Nash are absolutely solid, with Crosby on top because he never sings off key (to my ear). Stills has great presence and enthusiasm, and plays great, but cannot sing to save his life. And he was always my favorite among the three singers...
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Caer

« Reply #24 on: November 19, 2020, 04:53:19 PM »

Stills has great presence and enthusiasm, and plays great, but cannot sing to save his life. And he was always my favorite among the three singers...

He's profoundly deaf, John.

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
ColinB
a better way to put it
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Lancaster

« Reply #25 on: November 19, 2020, 05:31:52 PM »

Stills has great presence and enthusiasm, and plays great, but cannot sing to save his life. And he was always my favorite among the three singers...

His hearing's been bad for quite a few years. I saw CSN in 2009 and there were times then that his singing was a bit wayward which I'm guessing was due to his hearing problems. It's a real shame but we've got his records to enjoy.

I know that AC/DC singer Brian Johnson has had some revolutionary treatment to save his hearing. He had to sign some legal doc saying he wouldn't say what it involved but if he's recovered well enough to rejoin the band it must be something quite special and will hopefully benefit other musicians in the future.

Listen to my Off The Beaten Tracks radio shows on Mixcloud
https://www.mixcloud.com/cmbertram/
Bridgwit (Bridget)
I had a feeling there would be stripping involved
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: South Wales

« Reply #26 on: November 19, 2020, 05:33:56 PM »

When i saw Crosby, Stills and Nash in Manchester 2013 (I think) he was as rough as you would expect for someone who has lived as he has, but once his voice was warmed up and he let it rip, he was truly amazing. They all were. One of my all-time favourite concerts.

Never look down on anyone
Unless you're helping them up
wayne stote
Many thanks for the Doobies advice

« Reply #27 on: November 19, 2020, 06:17:29 PM »

Desperate times.

Jules

I can measure the differences among Crosby, Stills and Nash, having seen all three in live performance within the last few years. Crosby and Nash are absolutely solid, with Crosby on top because he never sings off key (to my ear). Stills has great presence and enthusiasm, and plays great, but cannot sing to save his life. And he was always my favorite among the three singers...

I caught him live on the Man Alive tour, back in 2008, in Manchester. I almost didn't go because of rumours of his decline, but, happily, he was on tip top form that night. Solo acoustic during the first half and with a full band for the second. It was truly one of the great concerts of my life so far.  Smiley
Jules Gray
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #28 on: November 19, 2020, 07:46:48 PM »

I caught him live on the Man Alive tour, back in 2008, in Manchester. I almost didn't go because of rumours of his decline, but, happily, he was on tip top form that night. Solo acoustic during the first half and with a full band for the second. It was truly one of the great concerts of my life so far.  Smiley

I should have gone.  I'm glad he was good.  I'll always have a huge amount of love for Stills.

Jules

Chris from Fieldtown
Sorry Bob

Loc: Fieldtown, Oxon

« Reply #29 on: November 19, 2020, 09:02:59 PM »

I should have gone.  I'm glad he was good.  I'll always have a huge amount of love for Stills.

Jules

After the CSN album, Still's second album was the next recording of theirs I got thanks to a friend recommending it. I played and played that record just loving the sheer variety of styles and great songwriting. The fab guitar playing was the decider. I bought every Stills album up to Right By You. Of course the fall off in quality is evident but there was always enough to enjoy and keep me buying thanks to a healthy dose of loyalty.
wayne stote
Many thanks for the Doobies advice

« Reply #30 on: November 19, 2020, 10:08:05 PM »

Jules

Always felt he deserves a little bit more appreciation than he generally gets.

You've probably already heard it but just in case, the Live At Shepherd's Bush CD is a decent representation of Stephen on that tour. The Manchester show (and I imagine the London one also) was four or five songs longer but that aside, as live albums go, it's a good one.

Chris from Fieldtown
Sorry Bob

Loc: Fieldtown, Oxon

« Reply #31 on: November 19, 2020, 10:39:22 PM »

Jules

You've probably already heard it but just in case, the Live At Shepherd's Bush CD is a decent representation of Stephen on that tour. The Manchester show (and I imagine the London one also) was four or five songs longer but that aside, as live albums go, it's a good one.

Thanks for that Wayne, it passed me by so I'll have a look on Spotify or Youtube and see if I'm tempted into a purchase.
Jules Gray
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #32 on: November 20, 2020, 12:54:50 PM »

Oh, I'd say he deserves a lot more.  Between 1966 and 1973, he rarely put a foot wrong as a writer, singer, guitar player, multi-instrumentalist, and arranger.  His subsequent fall from grace should in no way cloud any of this.  Stills was an absolute titan.

You've probably already heard it but just in case, the Live At Shepherd's Bush CD is a decent representation of Stephen on that tour.

I haven't heard it.  I tend to shrug off live albums.  I love studio records and I love live shows, but usually (not always) tend to think of live albums as a failed attempt to make the concert thing work in the context of the record thing.  Being there is everything.

Jules

Shane (Skirky)
Simply looking at your dogtags
Global Moderator

« Reply #33 on: December 27, 2021, 06:20:28 PM »

Finally got round to watching this last night. A phenomenal piece of work (the documentary, not Cros, although…).
He seems - or seemed - genuinely contrite that everybody he made his best work with no longer wants to have anything to do with him. But that last performance, crikey, you wouldn’t want that to be the last thing people remember, would you?

Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog, it’s too dark to read.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: