TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
November 27, 2021, 05:49:07 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 171 172 [173] 174   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Listening to.......  (Read 570471 times)
John From Austin
Donovan is my new texting buddy
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Austin

« Reply #3440 on: November 10, 2021, 11:25:08 PM »

"Better Days," "Easy," and "The American Dream."

I swear those could be the answers in a "Guess three song titles on the new Doobie album" competition from any point in the last 50 years.  I kind of guess that's the point....

Grin The Doobies never fail to pick me up, which I think is the point!
DarrenWilliams

Loc: St Helens

« Reply #3441 on: November 11, 2021, 08:52:34 AM »

I have tired of the random selection function in the mobile listening station and so have stuck with Thompy’s Mock Tudor today. As we all know and agree, his best and most consistent album out of all of them…  Wink

You'll get no argument from me.

That and The Old Kit Bag. Anything after those I don't return to that often, including Sweet Warrior which I know some people rate.

I'm currently listening to the first few VdGG albums Smiley
Dan O.
I was the face of 2001
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #3442 on: November 11, 2021, 11:57:25 AM »

Other opinions available, but Mock Tudor was probably RT's last most consistently good album you can listen to all the way through with hardly a duff track on it. His albums since then have all had their moments of greatness, but lack consistency...
RobertD
Holy expletive delighted...
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: New York City

« Reply #3443 on: November 11, 2021, 02:18:27 PM »

Other opinions available, but Mock Tudor was probably RT's last most consistently good album you can listen to all the way through with hardly a duff track on it. His albums since then have all had their moments of greatness, but lack consistency...

I agree regarding Mock Tudor-Kit Bag, Sweet Warrior, Front Parlour Ballads, Still, Electric, Dream Attic all have terrific moments, but definitely lacking the cohesive punch Mock Tudor has. I will say that at least for me, 13 Rivers has turned into an album I play frequently. I rate it highly

I'm just a little shy of Surf's Up and I'm deeper than Twist and Shout....Iain Matthews
Peter Allen

« Reply #3444 on: November 11, 2021, 02:51:25 PM »

Whilst I prefer Mock Tudor , I agree with Robert that 13 Rivers has to be something of a return to form
Adam
I'm looking at you, Cool Cat!
Folkcorp Guru

I'm a llama!

« Reply #3445 on: November 12, 2021, 07:38:54 AM »

Bright Lights, the new album from Susanna Hoffs of Bangles fame. Excellent west-coast paisley rock, with great versions of Time Will Show the Wiser, I want to see the bright lights tonight and One of these things first. Well worth a spin!
mickf
I'm old enough to have been one!
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Blackwood, South Wales

« Reply #3446 on: November 12, 2021, 11:30:53 AM »

Been listening to some classic Moody Blues this morning, as a nod to Graeme Edge.

If I had all the money I've spent on drink, I'd spend it on drink!
PaulT
Up pops Paul with the Flowerpot Men
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Gloucester

« Reply #3447 on: November 12, 2021, 11:41:42 AM »

As soon as I get home, I'll be playing the CD and DVD set I've just bought... "Chronicles : 60 years of The Chieftains". A pure coincidence that it's been released, by Claddagh Records, so soon after Paddy's passing, as proved by the notes in the booklet that refer to him in the present tense. A fitting memorial to a great musician.

Said the straight man, to the late man...
GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #3448 on: November 16, 2021, 10:29:36 AM »

Doobie Brothers - Liberte

I've listened to the album straight through about a dozen times now, and I pronounce it my favorite new album of the last decade. The songs are simply superior to those on their last several studio albums. The producer made some choices that make the songs too similar to one another (e.g., very similar drum sound on all the tracks), without the eclecticism they were known for in the past, but it's a minor issue. Tuneful music, beautifully played, and memorable melodies. Who could ask for anything more? Favorite tunes include "Better Days," "Easy," and "The American Dream."

I have listened to this a few times now and have to confess I am not hearing what John is hearing. Leaden rhythms. Unmemorable melodies. Generic AOR completely lacking the feel and swing (for want of a better word) of the Doobies in their prime. The saving grace is that both Tom Johnston & Patrick Simmons are in fine voice. I was really looking forward to this one but so far I am disappointed.
PaulT
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #3449 on: November 18, 2021, 01:02:21 PM »

King Crimson "Music is our Friend" recorded in concert in the USA this summer/fall.  Only listened to the 4 tracks from the "family & friends" (warmup) show and the rendition of "Islands" is just superb - the best I've ever heard by this (or any) line-up of KC.

A review by John Kelman was of the opinion that these were the slightly weaker tracks, and that the others (recorded on the tour's last night in Washington) are on an even higher level. These will have to wait until tomorrow, when I'll have the house to myself...  Wink

Alan2
Other peole know stuff so I don't have to
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #3450 on: November 20, 2021, 09:11:38 AM »

Transatlantic era Pentangle.

It's remarkable for its longevity. And how ahead of their time they were.

On the London Calling  Label sessions LP Jacqui is introduced as 'not just a lady but a very pretty young lady'.  😄😁😆
GubGub (Al)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #3451 on: November 20, 2021, 05:46:34 PM »

Joni Mitchell Archives Volume 2: The Reprise Years (1968 - 71)

It is great, obviously, but an awful lot of solo acoustic Joni to take in at a single sitting, especially with the multiple perfomances of several songs. I think I need to break it down into digestible packages, Le Hibou Concert, Carnegie Hall Concert, BBC In Concert, Demos and Outtakes etc.
Jim
Klaatu barada nikto
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: manchester

Here To Help

« Reply #3452 on: November 20, 2021, 09:49:36 PM »

The 1979 no nukes concert  by Bruce Springsteen and the E st Band, stunningly brilliant performances from all involved

The Dude abides
GubGub (Al)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #3453 on: November 22, 2021, 10:37:14 AM »

The latest issue of Mojo lists their top 75 albums of the year. Despite buying a lot of music during 2021 I note that I own precisely 3 of these, two of which I don't like very much, and none of their top 10 Folk releases, though I do have 8 of their top 20 issues. I'm not sure what this says about me, or Mojo.

Anyway, I am now listening to Promises by Floating Points, Pharoah Sanders and the London Symphony Orchestra, which is Mojo's top album of the year. I have long been an admirer of Pharoah Sanders but did not know this existed. This is Jazz/Classical crossover, with a little bit of electronica mixed in. It is almost ambient and reminds me for some reason of Pink Floyd which it does not remotely resemble. Is it the best album of the year? I don't know but it is very beautiful.

(For what it is worth, my favourite album of the year is probably Utopian by Ian McNabb with honourable mentions to Dancing or Dying by Celtic Social Club and Dolenz Sings Nesmith by Micky Dolenz, none of which feature in the Mojo list.)
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Caer

« Reply #3454 on: November 22, 2021, 11:49:12 AM »

I could have sworn I mentioned this when it came out but a quick search tells me I must have restricted my mumblings about it to FB.  It's a magnificent album.

I've still not got around to listening to Utopian. Must rectify that.

The latest issue of Mojo lists their top 75 albums of the year. Despite buying a lot of music during 2021 I note that I own precisely 3 of these, two of which I don't like very much, and none of their top 10 Folk releases, though I do have 8 of their top 20 issues. I'm not sure what this says about me, or Mojo.

Anyway, I am now listening to Promises by Floating Points, Pharoah Sanders and the London Symphony Orchestra, which is Mojo's top album of the year. I have long been an admirer of Pharoah Sanders but did not know this existed. This is Jazz/Classical crossover, with a little bit of electronica mixed in. It is almost ambient and reminds me for some reason of Pink Floyd which it does not remotely resemble. Is it the best album of the year? I don't know but it is very beautiful.

(For what it is worth, my favourite album of the year is probably Utopian by Ian McNabb with honourable mentions to Dancing or Dying by Celtic Social Club and Dolenz Sings Nesmith by Micky Dolenz, none of which feature in the Mojo list.)

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Dan O.
I was the face of 2001
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #3455 on: November 23, 2021, 04:47:37 PM »

First listen to "Raise The Roof", the new album from Robert Plant & Alison Krauss.

Verdict : joyful - if you enjoyed their 2007 effort "Raising Sand", you'll enjoy this one too.

It's almost as if they took a fortnight off, and went straight back into the studio without missing a beat, instead of letting almost 14 years pass by.
PaulT
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #3456 on: November 23, 2021, 07:21:57 PM »

Leon Redbone "live & kickin", picked up for £4 in a charity shop, together with a 5CD set of early Dr John fir under a tenner...

mickf
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #3457 on: November 24, 2021, 05:48:17 PM »

I've been doing a bit of driving today and I loaded up the cds in the car, Firstly, a band I wasn't too familiar with: 'Faeland' - with 'When I Close My Eyes' I hadn't heard of them until a few weeks ago, but this cd is perfect for having on while I'm driving. Pretty mellow and relaxing. Then I opted for Show of Hands 'Witness', which is one of my favourite SOH albums. Finally 'Brainwashed' by George Harrison, which was the last album he released. I think it's probably second only to 'All Things Must Pass' as his best album.

Alan2
Other peole know stuff so I don't have to
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #3458 on: November 25, 2021, 08:50:04 AM »

I've been doing a bit of driving today and I loaded up the cds in the car, Firstly, a band I wasn't too familiar with: 'Faeland' - with 'When I Close My Eyes' I hadn't heard of them until a few weeks ago, but this cd is perfect for having on while I'm driving. Pretty mellow and relaxing. Then I opted for Show of Hands 'Witness', which is one of my favourite SOH albums. Finally 'Brainwashed' by George Harrison, which was the last album he released. I think it's probably second only to 'All Things Must Pass' as his best album.

Faeland are offering their CD free, postage only, on Facebook.

Edit: IT'S  £4 postage and comes from abroad and you might be hit for VAT.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2021, 09:21:03 AM by Alan2 » Logged
mickf
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #3459 on: November 25, 2021, 11:31:47 AM »

I know, I took advantage of this (free copy of their 1st CD) along with a half price offer for their current one. With postage etc it came to a tenner for both albums, not too bad.

Pages: 1 ... 171 172 [173] 174   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: