TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
December 02, 2021, 05:19:22 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 167 168 [169] 170 171 ... 175   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Listening to.......  (Read 573369 times)
Will S
A twinset of librarians
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: in deepest Devon

« Reply #3360 on: October 13, 2021, 02:46:31 PM »

Now listening to U2 October on it's 40th birthday!

All the diamonds in the world
That mean anything to me,
Are conjured up by wind and sunlight
Sparkling on the sea
(Bruce Cockburn)
Nick Reg
The Dreaded
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: NEWCASTLE, STAFFS

Merry Hell are coming

« Reply #3361 on: October 13, 2021, 05:35:16 PM »

Here's another, expressed as a negative. Liege and Lief isn't the best Fairport Convention album. It's just okay. 😊

You'll get no traction with that around here. Believe me, I have tried.  Grin

And the greatest folk rock album is Rise Up Like The Sun by The Albion Band. Or maybe On The Shore by Trees.

But Liege and Lief was the first. Possibly.

I've long laboured the point on here and elsewhere that L&L is my least favourite of the first five.  I recognise and acknowledge its importance, but enjoy it less than all the others. Fwiw my faves are generally Full House followed by WWDOOH and/or Unhalfbricking.  I've also presented an argument for RULTS as greatest folk-rock album (it's like a bloody echo chamber in here Smiley ), although that view is inconsistent.  Much as I adore OTS I suspect that might be pushing it just a fraction too far, but it's not a million miles away.
Pretty much spot on

There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets
Jules Gray
Go on, groove my truffles
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Cheltenham

What makes the buzzard buzz?

« Reply #3362 on: October 13, 2021, 06:39:38 PM »

Here's another, expressed as a negative. Liege and Lief isn't the best Fairport Convention album. It's just okay. 😊

Away with you!  It's a work of genius and a total masterpiece, and by far the most consistently great Fairport album of all time.

Liege & Lief; Hark! The Village Wait; and No Roses are the holy trinity of British folk rock.

Jules

Now be thankful for good things below
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Caer

« Reply #3363 on: October 13, 2021, 07:40:24 PM »

Away with you!  It's a work of genius and a total masterpiece, and by far the most consistently great Fairport album of all time.

Liege & Lief; Hark! The Village Wait; and No Roses are the holy trinity of British folk rock.

Jules

I never had you down as a conservative traditionalist, Jules  Wink

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #3364 on: October 13, 2021, 08:47:41 PM »

Jules

I like Hark! I don't love it and I have never been able to get on with most of No Roses but that is probably because I have real problems with Shirley Collins'voice. It always reminds me of Candice-Marie from Nuts In May
Peter Allen

« Reply #3365 on: October 13, 2021, 09:40:51 PM »

Shirley Collins  / Albion Country Band  :   No Roses (Mooncrest  LP).

I play Shirley Collinss albums regularly enough now, and  I've had this one since around 1986.    I was a bit late to the SC party, but had listened to Fairport since the 1970s.   No Roses is as good as any Fairportp album. And probably one of the best folk rock albums out there by anyone.  There, I've said it.   The normal IMHO qualifier applies  of course. 🙂

Not sure that's as controversial an opinion as you seem to think it is, Alan.  Just a fact, I reckon... brilliant album.  I've got an original UK release cassette  Smiley

I only know Shirley from The Prospect Before Us era of the Albion Dance Band , so I'll be tracking down  a copy of No Roses on CD or Vinyl , if I can afford it , on the back of these claims , looking forward to it already. I'm by coincidence about to play Liege & Lief as a double expanded CD ,arrived today but it's never been a solid favourite of mine in it's original format...the drum sound is overly flat and dull IMHO others will love it of course
Jules Gray
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #3366 on: October 13, 2021, 10:55:34 PM »

I never had you down as a conservative traditionalist, Jules  Wink

*blows raspberry*

Alan2
Other peole know stuff so I don't have to
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #3367 on: October 14, 2021, 09:17:51 AM »

And the greatest folk rock album is Rise Up Like The Sun by The Albion Band. Or maybe On The Shore by Trees.

I've long laboured the point on here and elsewhere that L&L is my least favourite of the first five.  I recognise and acknowledge its importance, but enjoy it less than all the others. Fwiw my faves are generally Full House followed by WWDOOH and/or Unhalfbricking.  I've also presented an argument for RULTS as greatest folk-rock album (it's like a bloody echo chamber in here Smiley ), although that view is inconsistent.  Much as I adore OTS I suspect that might be pushing it just a fraction too far, but it's not a million miles away.

We are somewhat on the same page here.   On the Shore is indeed one of the finest records in the Folk Rock genre. My favourite Fairport album, if i must nominate one  is Holidays.  Unhalfbricking runs at a good second.  Full House is one of the best Fairport albums without Sandy.  Liege and Lief is IMO let down by production. I've yet to hear an edition that sounds good.  It may be like Tull's Aqualung insofar as  its a turd which can never be polished.
Albions?  I'm not familiar with all of their early  catalogue, but Battle of the Field has always given me pleasure.
GubGub (Al)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #3368 on: October 14, 2021, 10:48:02 AM »

We are somewhat on the same page here.   On the Shore is indeed one of the finest records in the Folk Rock genre. My favourite Fairport album, if i must nominate one  is Holidays.  Unhalfbricking runs at a good second.  Full House is one of the best Fairport albums without Sandy.  Liege and Lief is IMO let down by production. I've yet to hear an edition that sounds good.  It may be like Tull's Aqualung insofar as  its a turd which can never be polished.
Albions?  I'm not familiar with all of their early  catalogue, but Battle of the Field has always given me pleasure.

If you don't know Rise Up Alan, you need to urgently correct that situation. It is a towering achievement in British folk rock.
Jules Gray
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #3369 on: October 14, 2021, 10:55:24 AM »

Liege and Lief is IMO let down by production. I've yet to hear an edition that sounds good.  It may be like Tull's Aqualung insofar as  its a turd which can never be polished.

I get that the production is a bit boxy and wooden (I believe they wanted it like that, because they were all fans of The Band), but "a turd"?!?!   Shocked

Jules

Alan2
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #3370 on: October 14, 2021, 11:14:12 AM »

If you don't know Rise Up Alan, you need to urgently correct that situation. It is a towering achievement in British folk rock.

I have a copy of Rise Up.   I love the final track especially,  with the McGarrigles.
Nick Reg
The Dreaded
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: NEWCASTLE, STAFFS

Merry Hell are coming

« Reply #3371 on: October 15, 2021, 10:20:43 AM »

Iron Men of Rap - Men They Couldnt Hang featuring Atlilla The Stockbroker. The second best b side ever (after Otway of course).

There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets
GubGub (Al)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #3372 on: October 15, 2021, 05:43:53 PM »

Bob's Back Pages: A  Night of Bob Dylan Songs - Lucinda Williams

Wow, that's how do do an album of Bob Dylan covers. Superb. My god, Man of Peace rocks like a mutha (if I am permitted to use that term.  Grin)
Poor Will (Bill)
coocoocachoo would just be silly
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Bognor Regis West Sussex

« Reply #3373 on: October 16, 2021, 10:42:13 AM »

Espers : Espers II
I imagine Trees were a strong influence on this wonderful album.

In the words of the Zen Master " Don't just do something, sit there"
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Caer

« Reply #3374 on: October 16, 2021, 12:50:52 PM »

Espers : Espers II
I imagine Trees were a strong influence on this wonderful album.

Bloody marvellous band.  And yes, clearly.

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
mickf
I'm old enough to have been one!
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Blackwood, South Wales

« Reply #3375 on: October 16, 2021, 01:12:43 PM »

I've just taken delivery of two new albums by the same artist. The first is 'The Emancipation of Eva Grey', which is apparently the last time that Thea Gilmore's name will be on an album for the foreseeable future. The second album is 'Afterlight' by the person who, as I'm sure most of you know by now, is the artist who was formerly known as Thea Gilmore. They couldn't be more different. 'The Emancipation of Eva Grey' is the first of her albums that I've been disappointed in. The subject matter is the journey taken by a woman in the 1920s/30s, which is interesting. But the jazzy music, which, apparently stemmed from her participation in the soundtrack for the 2020 film 'Blythe Spirit', is, to my mind, frothy and disposable. A shame if this turns out to be Thea Gilmore's swansong.

However, the 'Afterlight' album is another in the long line of her albums that grabs you right from the opener (the spoken word 'Of All the Violence I Have Known') and never really lets go until the final track. Putting aside her well publicised domestic situation and the reason for the name change, it is, in my opinion, a stunning piece of work. I shall be playing this a lot, I'm sure,

If I had all the money I've spent on drink, I'd spend it on drink!
Chris from Fieldtown
Sorry Bob

Loc: Fieldtown, Oxon

« Reply #3376 on: October 16, 2021, 08:35:42 PM »

I've just taken delivery of two new albums by the same artist. The first is 'The Emancipation of Eva Grey', which is apparently the last time that Thea Gilmore's name will be on an album for the foreseeable future. The second album is 'Afterlight' by the person who, as I'm sure most of you know by now, is the artist who was formerly known as Thea Gilmore. They couldn't be more different. 'The Emancipation of Eva Grey' is the first of her albums that I've been disappointed in. The subject matter is the journey taken by a woman in the 1920s/30s, which is interesting. But the jazzy music, which, apparently stemmed from her participation in the soundtrack for the 2020 film 'Blythe Spirit', is, to my mind, frothy and disposable. A shame if this turns out to be Thea Gilmore's swansong.

However, the 'Afterlight' album is another in the long line of her albums that grabs you right from the opener (the spoken word 'Of All the Violence I Have Known') and never really lets go until the final track. Putting aside her well publicised domestic situation and the reason for the name change, it is, in my opinion, a stunning piece of work. I shall be playing this a lot, I'm sure,

Just arrived here and needs a proper listening slot, not a background fill to other activity. Hope I can make time tomoorow for this, why is it so much harder to do now? Greatly intrigued having followed the link from someone (sorry, memory fail) for the candid and revealing interview by Thea. I appreciate more and more when music tells someone's story and this is a perfect example. 
Alan2
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #3377 on: October 19, 2021, 10:16:42 AM »

Liege and Lief is IMO let down by production. I've yet to hear an edition that sounds good.  It may be like Tull's Aqualung insofar as  its a turd which can never be polished.

I get that the production is a bit boxy and wooden (I believe they wanted it like that, because they were all fans of The Band), but "a turd"?!?!   Shocked

Jules

An expression i picked up on another forum Jules.  'Polishing a turd'  means trying to make something presentable where the original is simply beyond that.
Jules Gray
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #3378 on: October 19, 2021, 10:34:52 AM »

'Polishing a turd'  means trying to make something presentable where the original is simply beyond that.

Yes, I know what it means.

Jules

PaulT
Up pops Paul with the Flowerpot Men
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Gloucester

« Reply #3379 on: October 19, 2021, 08:16:08 PM »

Santana - Lotus. The Japanese SACD version. Stunning sound quality, especially compared to the virtually unlistenable CD release, which was just horrible. Expensive, but so worth it!

Said the straight man, to the late man...
Pages: 1 ... 167 168 [169] 170 171 ... 175   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: