TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
November 30, 2021, 09:33:36 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 161 162 [163] 164 165 ... 174   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Listening to.......  (Read 571845 times)
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Caer

« Reply #3240 on: September 01, 2021, 08:42:28 AM »

Things I never expected to say part 231:
The new Toyah album, Posh Pop is brilliant.  
No, really - it's a totally fab pop-rock classic, with some decent songs, no trash, great production and some quite frankly extraordinary plank thrashing and Frippertronics from young Bobby.  
And this wasn't just because I was listening to it at full blast at 5am as distraction therapy due to the fact I desperately wanted to get out of bed and relieve myself, but my back wasn't having it...[I did a big walk with lots of climbs on Sunday and my lower back has been screaming at me since Monday morning...trappednervetastic]

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Malcolm
crazily brandishing my swat
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Powys

« Reply #3241 on: September 01, 2021, 01:17:14 PM »

The Ashgrove Sessions. Jerry Donahue and Susan Rey, accompanied by everyone else we know or didn't know!!
Not issued until after JD's stroke.
John From Austin
Donovan is my new texting buddy
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Austin

« Reply #3242 on: September 01, 2021, 06:29:36 PM »

New Los Lobos CD, "Native Sons." This is an album of covers, with the common thread being that the songwriters are associated with Los Angeles. I'm halfway through, and the highlight for me so far is a medley of "Bluebird/For What It's Worth" originally by [The] Buffalo Springfield. A faithful rendition with outstanding vocals and guitar by David Hidalgo.

Just finished "Return of the Grievous Angel," a 1999 Emmylou Harris-produced tribute to Gram Parsons. There are some hits and misses, but my general take is that no one sings a Gram Parson's tune better than Gram Parsons. Highlights were "Hickory Wind" sung by Gillian Welch and "In My Hour of Darkness" sung by an ad hoc group of folk musicians, including Buddy Miller. Emmylou is all over the album, as well, which definitely lends an air of authenticity to the proceedings.

Chris from Fieldtown
Sorry Bob

Loc: Fieldtown, Oxon

« Reply #3243 on: September 02, 2021, 02:28:24 PM »

Just picked up a copy of the Year of the Cat reissue when browsing my local store. Listening to it fresh I was struck by just how implanted certain albums are with specifictimes in my life, YOTC absolutely back to 6th form and friendships of the time. Listening to the album now a couple of thoughts arose, firstly what an incredible writer Al Stewar is and what an amazing guitar player Tim Renwick is, perfectly judged playing throughout whether a delicate fill or a full blown lead. Great to be re-aquained with this album.
Alan2
Other peole know stuff so I don't have to
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #3244 on: September 02, 2021, 03:55:50 PM »

Just picked up a copy of the Year of the Cat reissue when browsing my local store. Listening to it fresh I was struck by just how implanted certain albums are with specifictimes in my life, YOTC absolutely back to 6th form and friendships of the time. Listening to the album now a couple of thoughts arose, firstly what an incredible writer Al Stewar is and what an amazing guitar player Tim Renwick is, perfectly judged playing throughout whether a delicate fill or a full blown lead. Great to be re-aquained with this album.

I resisted buying this yet again, but it is indeed a fine album. I revisited the 2000 CD remaster not long ago and it sounds good. Also included a recording of the artist talking about the album.
Alan2
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #3245 on: September 02, 2021, 03:57:18 PM »

Fotheringay:  Fotheringay  (Island/ Caroline LP reissue,  2018).
blagden
Money for
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: South God's Own Country

I am a rebel - whilst ever my wife will let me be!

« Reply #3246 on: September 02, 2021, 04:15:33 PM »

The Miner's Strike Radio Ballad available on the BBC Sounds catch up app, quite an extraordinary piece of work.
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #3247 on: September 02, 2021, 04:24:01 PM »

The Miner's Strike Radio Ballad available on the BBC Sounds catch up app, quite an extraordinary piece of work.

Didn't know about that...many thanks.  Here's the link (at least I assume this is what you mean) https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00r33b2

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #3248 on: September 02, 2021, 05:15:47 PM »

Incidentally, my VdGG box (with signed postcard) has arrived  Smiley  Where to begin?!

Chris from Fieldtown
Sorry Bob

Loc: Fieldtown, Oxon

« Reply #3249 on: September 02, 2021, 09:00:30 PM »

Incidentally, my VdGG box (with signed postcard) has arrived  Smiley  Where to begin?!

At the beginning  Grin (i know it's not that simple really)
blagden
Money for
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: South God's Own Country

I am a rebel - whilst ever my wife will let me be!

« Reply #3250 on: September 02, 2021, 09:18:36 PM »

Didn't know about that...many thanks.  Here's the link (at least I assume this is what you mean) https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00r33b2

It is, an emotional and inspirational listen particularly the testimony of the Miner's wives describing the return to work of their men. Commissioned music by John Tamms, Jez Lowe and the excellent Ray Hearne amongst others. I implore you to give it a listen.
Alan2
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #3251 on: September 03, 2021, 09:00:53 AM »

Sandy Denny  :  Like an Old Fashioned Waltz  (Island LP reissue,  

transparent vinyl, Record Store Day 2018).
Will S
A twinset of librarians
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: in deepest Devon

« Reply #3252 on: September 03, 2021, 10:00:37 AM »

I resisted buying this yet again, but it is indeed a fine album. I revisited the 2000 CD remaster not long ago and it sounds good. Also included a recording of the artist talking about the album.

I ended up buying the download version (I don't have a 5.1 system so paying all that extra for something I couldn't benefit from didn't make sense, but I did want the whole live concert, not the limited version on the 2CD edition) and I reckon that the new remastered version is beautiful and brings out a lot of little things that existed but weren't so obvious in the original.

All the diamonds in the world
That mean anything to me,
Are conjured up by wind and sunlight
Sparkling on the sea
(Bruce Cockburn)
Peter Allen

« Reply #3253 on: September 03, 2021, 11:34:29 AM »

I've a still sealed one , what's the clear vinyl  pressing like ?
Shankly (Peter)
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Liverpool, England

« Reply #3254 on: September 03, 2021, 03:04:33 PM »

The new album from Jinjer. Great stuff if you like progressive metal. Superb musicians and Tatiana's voice is amazing. Good videos on Youtube too
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #3255 on: September 03, 2021, 03:43:36 PM »

The new album from Jinjer. Great stuff if you like progressive metal. Superb musicians and Tatiana's voice is amazing. Good videos on Youtube too

I had a look at this lot after someone on here (you?) mentioned them previously.  It was a live festival show from earlier this year, I think.
 Not really my thing, although some of the more melodic stuff was quite enjoyable in a sort of Tool-like manner.  Her singing is pretty damned extraordinary though...

Alan2
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #3256 on: September 05, 2021, 11:12:18 AM »

I've a still sealed one , what's the clear vinyl  pressing like ?

Excellent.  
Alan2
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #3257 on: September 07, 2021, 09:02:54 AM »

Van Morriston on vinyl:

Astral Weeks,  Common One,  Wavelength.

I don't count myself as a great Van Morrison fan, but every so often I seek out the bunch of his albums
I have and play some.

Astral Weeks is beautiful,  but I find the vocals strident and harsh at times  making this a tough listen.

Common One I bought relatively recently and I like it almost in spite of myself.  An album of grooves rather than songs. 'Wordsworth and Coleridge smoking dope'... really?

Wavelength has taken me years to hear properly.  It seems to need very good phono to bring out the detail.
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #3258 on: September 07, 2021, 09:25:32 AM »

Van Morriston on vinyl:

Astral Weeks,  Common One,  Wavelength.

I don't count myself as a great Van Morrison fan, but every so often I seek out the bunch of his albums
I have and play some.

Astral Weeks is beautiful,  but I find the vocals strident and harsh at times  making this a tough listen.

Common One I bought relatively recently and I like it almost in spite of myself.  An album of grooves rather than songs. 'Wordsworth and Coleridge smoking dope'... really?

Wavelength has taken me years to hear properly.  It seems to need very good phono to bring out the detail.

I often preach the 'love the art, not the artist' maxim...but I'm afraid I've been unable to listen to the man recently, much as I love some of his half a century and older material...

Bridgwit (Bridget)
I had a feeling there would be stripping involved
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: South Wales

« Reply #3259 on: September 07, 2021, 09:42:39 AM »

Ranagri - A YouTube mix. They're coming to local music venue Acapela and I like to "try before I buy"   Grin

Was rather surprised to see Tony Christie singing one song with them but he's great! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sijuJUxJoVM&list=RDEMXDPNji9L64-mNfrk9MZYJA&index=4

Never look down on anyone
Unless you're helping them up
Pages: 1 ... 161 162 [163] 164 165 ... 174   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: