TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
April 18, 2021, 12:45:40 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 137 138 [139] 140 141   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Listening to.......  (Read 377507 times)
Alan2
Other peole know stuff so I don't have to
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #2760 on: April 06, 2021, 05:20:11 PM »

Katie Spencer:  ep of John Martyn covers.
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Caer

« Reply #2761 on: April 06, 2021, 05:52:00 PM »

It's rather lovely, isn't it...  Smiley

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Nick
Calendar Boy
Administrator

Loc: South Oxon

Block and Chip

« Reply #2762 on: April 06, 2021, 06:41:59 PM »

The Breath: Carry Your Kin and Only Stories.

Very lovely vocals, guitar and flute.

You've got questions, we've got assumptions
PaulT
Memory jogger
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Gloucester

« Reply #2763 on: April 06, 2021, 07:13:39 PM »

In the car today: Henry Kaiser and Wadada Leo Smith and band playing electric Miles.

Said the straight man, to the late man...
wayne stote
Many thanks for the Doobies advice

« Reply #2764 on: April 06, 2021, 10:51:38 PM »

Recently discovered The Pretty Things. Bought the albums S.F. Sorrow & Parachute on a whim. Completely different to what I was expecting. Much more interesting!  Smiley
Nick Reg
The Dreaded
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: NEWCASTLE, STAFFS

Merry Hell are coming

« Reply #2765 on: April 07, 2021, 08:23:34 AM »

Recently discovered The Pretty Things. Bought the albums S.F. Sorrow & Parachute on a whim. Completely different to what I was expecting. Much more interesting!  Smiley

Freeway Madness and Silk Torpedo aren't too shabby either.

There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets
Alan2
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #2766 on: April 07, 2021, 08:26:31 AM »

It is David. Thankyou for drawing my attention to it.
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #2767 on: April 07, 2021, 09:08:37 AM »

And Savage Eye and Cross Talk...(all of which sound very different from each other).  They were such a magnificent band.

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Peter Allen

« Reply #2768 on: April 07, 2021, 09:40:13 AM »

It is David. Thankyou for drawing my attention to it.

The biggest accolade I can pay her is that I left her Weather Beaten  CD in the car CD drive when I sold the Qashqai last May , and the new owner wouldn't return the disc ! Love's it as much as the car (and I didn't want that  back)
Will S
A twinset of librarians
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: near Aldbrickham, in the Royal County

« Reply #2769 on: April 07, 2021, 11:35:38 AM »

Bit of an Al Stewart thing going on today:

A Beach Full Of Shells, followed by Down In The Cellar and now Indian Summer Live.

That sounds like a very pleasant way to while away a couple of hours.  Smiley

Indeed. Excellent choices of AS albums.

Year of the cat gets a deluxe anniversary release this year.

There are few of Al's albums I don't enjoy but these are particularly good.

Tempted by the YOTC anniversary edition, but not at £50, especially as I don't have the means to benefit from the 5.1 version.  The 2CD version is more interesting, pricewise, but that doesn't have the complete concert recording on it.  Decisions, decisions...

Been looking at the reviews on A****n, and there are some comments about the sound of the live concert being pretty poor.  Anyone here heard it and like to comment?

All the diamonds in the world
That mean anything to me,
Are conjured up by wind and sunlight
Sparkling on the sea
(Bruce Cockburn)
wayne stote
Many thanks for the Doobies advice

« Reply #2770 on: April 07, 2021, 11:56:32 AM »

Thanks for the heads-up!

I've just sent for Freeway Madness which is on a twofer with Cross Talk which came out the best part of a decade later. Seems like an odd pairing, a bit like putting Unhalfbricking and Gottle O' Geer together. Still, I'll get to see how they evolved, I suppose.  Smiley
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #2771 on: April 07, 2021, 12:11:16 PM »

Thanks for the heads-up!

I've just sent for Freeway Madness which is on a twofer with Cross Talk which came out the best part of a decade later. Seems like an odd pairing, a bit like putting Unhalfbricking and Gottle O' Geer together. Still, I'll get to see how they evolved, I suppose.  Smiley

Enjoy.  Having spent most of my life thinking S F Sorrow was their masterpiece I've recently come to the conclusion that it's not, it's Parachute that is the true peak.  Pete Tolson was such a very very good guitarist...as much as I love Dick T, that was the best.  The X PT's version a few years back (The Pretty Things minus Phil - with the long lost Pete T back in the fold) is magnificent too.  Wally is always going on about what a fab guitarist Pete was...I don't think I've ever heard him praise Dick.  I've always wondered what their relationship is like...

Nick Reg
The Dreaded
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: NEWCASTLE, STAFFS

Merry Hell are coming

« Reply #2772 on: April 07, 2021, 01:46:39 PM »

Just playing Freeway now, for the first time for ages. Its bloody magnificent.

There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #2773 on: April 07, 2021, 04:30:54 PM »

Just playing Freeway now, for the first time for ages. Its bloody magnificent.

Ha.  I played that earlier.  I forgotten that WW isn't playing on it (well, hardly), but is there as producer.  

I've since progressed to the Infinite Fog 30th anniversary release of Coil's Love's Secret Domain.  Yin and yang!

RobertD
Holy expletive delighted...
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: New York City

« Reply #2774 on: April 07, 2021, 05:55:02 PM »

Skeletons From The Closet-Best Of The Grateful Dead. Yes...I know its a rather pedestrian, one-sided collection that does not really speak to what they were truly about, but its the only thing I have by them. And as Bob Weir (or whoever does his Instagram posts) liked my Photo/Music post today featuring Sugar Magnolia I feel like I owe them a little thank you. Next up and related is Mickey Hart's Mystery Box which featured my friends the Mint Juleps on vocals  Cool

I'm just a little shy of Surf's Up and I'm deeper than Twist and Shout....Iain Matthews
Shane (Skirky)
Simply looking at your dogtags
Global Moderator

« Reply #2775 on: April 10, 2021, 03:36:45 PM »

Revisiting 1984’s peerless ‘Across a Crowded Room’. Very much the exchange of barbs across the fence with the same week’s release (IIRC) of ‘One Clear Moment’. As I remember, we used to play them one after the other in the shop so that everybody got an equal hearing. On reflection, RT’s record has not dated nearly as severely - if at all - as Linda’s technology-heavy effort.

Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog, it’s too dark to read.
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #2776 on: April 10, 2021, 04:44:05 PM »

On reflection, RT’s record has not dated nearly as severely - if at all - as Linda’s technology-heavy effort.

That's the case with so many mid-80s recordings that tried to sound 'modern'.  Think of the CSNY gang: Landing on Water/Right By You/Innocent Eyes etc - they all sound like they come from the Ark whilst stuff they did a decade and a half earlier still sounds timeless.  80's keyboards really were evil weren't they?

Jules Gray
Go on, groove my truffles
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Cheltenham

What makes the buzzard buzz?

« Reply #2777 on: April 10, 2021, 06:00:02 PM »

That's the case with so many mid-80s recordings that tried to sound 'modern'.  Think of the CSNY gang: Landing on Water/Right By You/Innocent Eyes etc - they all sound like they come from the Ark whilst stuff they did a decade and a half earlier still sounds timeless.  80's keyboards really were evil weren't they?

100% this.

Jules

Now be thankful for good things below
RobertD
Holy expletive delighted...
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: New York City

« Reply #2778 on: April 11, 2021, 02:21:02 AM »

Revisiting 1984’s peerless ‘Across a Crowded Room’. Very much the exchange of barbs across the fence with the same week’s release (IIRC) of ‘One Clear Moment’. As I remember, we used to play them one after the other in the shop so that everybody got an equal hearing. On reflection, RT’s record has not dated nearly as severely - if at all - as Linda’s technology-heavy effort.

Agreed about it not being as dated sounding as Linda’s but ‘twas released in 1985 good sir!

I'm just a little shy of Surf's Up and I'm deeper than Twist and Shout....Iain Matthews
Alan2
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #2779 on: April 11, 2021, 10:36:36 AM »

100% this.

Jules

I know what you mean. Its noticeable but it doesn't always bother me. I was listening to some 80s John Martyn recently and it has a very 80s sound.
Pages: 1 ... 137 138 [139] 140 141   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: