TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
March 08, 2021, 10:34:19 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 128 129 [130] 131 132 ... 134   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Listening to.......  (Read 339632 times)
PaulT
Memory jogger
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Gloucester

« Reply #2580 on: February 20, 2021, 06:26:47 PM »

That is superb! Thanks Rob!

Said the straight man, to the late man...
GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #2581 on: February 21, 2021, 10:27:16 AM »

Happy Birthday To Me - a freebie disc given away with a purchase at the late lamented Mercer Street branch of EZ Street Records in Seattle many years ago. I probably haven't played it since I first brought it home and I have barely heard of most of the artists on it apart from Foals and Blitzen Trapper but it is almost all excellent.

and

Hot Cookies - a Cooking Vinyl sampler from the late 80s and pretty much the place where I first discovered Oysterband, Edward II and Gregson & Collister.
Chris from Fieldtown
Sorry Bob

Loc: Fieldtown, Oxon

« Reply #2582 on: February 21, 2021, 08:25:02 PM »

Happy Birthday To Me - a freebie disc given away with a purchase at the late lamented Mercer Street branch of EZ Street Records in Seattle many years ago. I probably haven't played it since I first brought it home and I have barely heard of most of the artists on it apart from Foals and Blitzen Trapper but it is almost all excellent.

and

Hot Cookies - a Cooking Vinyl sampler from the late 80s and pretty much the place where I first discovered Oysterband, Edward II and Gregson & Collister.

Those Cooking Vinyl samplers introduced me to a lot of fabulous music as well. What a great pioneering label it was.
mickf
Nevertheless, quite entertaining
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Blackwood, South Wales

« Reply #2583 on: February 21, 2021, 09:04:45 PM »

New Oysterband song (and lovely video)- Wonders Are Passing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Da676yC1nQ

Nice song.

If I had all the money I've spent on drink, I'd spend it on drink!
John From Austin
Donovan is my new texting buddy
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Austin

« Reply #2584 on: February 22, 2021, 01:07:22 AM »

Just acquired the complete Pentangle albums box set. I've worked my way through Basket Of Light so far. I'm very late to Pentangle, but my patience has been rewarded.

Outside of seeing Danny T. play with RT a few times, my closest brush with Pentangle live was seeing Bert Jansch open for Neil Young in Boston many years ago. He was so quiet in that big theater (and there was so much conversation) that I could barely hear him. People stopped talking when they recognized Blackwaterside, and they paid attention from that point, thankfully.
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Caer

« Reply #2585 on: February 22, 2021, 08:08:00 AM »

Just acquired the complete Pentangle albums box set. I've worked my way through Basket Of Light so far. I'm very late to Pentangle, but my patience has been rewarded.

Outside of seeing Danny T. play with RT a few times, my closest brush with Pentangle live was seeing Bert Jansch open for Neil Young in Boston many years ago. He was so quiet in that big theater (and there was so much conversation) that I could barely hear him. People stopped talking when they recognized Blackwaterside, and they paid attention from that point, thankfully.

That's a great set (as is The Time Has Come box).  Didn't Bert do something with Neil during those gigs as well?

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
John From Austin
Donovan is my new texting buddy
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Austin

« Reply #2586 on: February 22, 2021, 05:33:20 PM »

That's a great set (as is The Time Has Come box). †Didn't Bert do something with Neil during those gigs as well?

Sadly, not at the Wang theater show I saw. The format was 45 minutes of Bert, alone with acoustic guitar, followed by two hours of Neil, alone with various guitars and keyboards. Lots of feedback. It was very cool.
GubGub (Al)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #2587 on: February 22, 2021, 08:27:41 PM »

A mere 12 years after aquiring this, two tracks suddenly resonated with me as a result of which I took delivery today of a nice vinyl copy of the 10th anniversary reissue of Blitzen Trapper's Furr album and it is really rather wonderful.

The other track was by Sera Cahoone of whom I know nothing but now have an album on the way

Also today I took a first ever listen to Everything Waits To Be Noticed by Art Garfunkel, Maia Sharp & Buddy Mondlock from 2002 and what a revelation! It is a really splendid record. A total surprise after 30 years of MOR cover versions from Artie (albeit there are several cuts from his 70s albums that I am quite fond of). This is by some distance his finest work outside of Simon & Garfunkel. His debut as a songwriter (which sadly he hasn't pursued, subsequently releasing just a single album of standards). Well worth a listen if you are not familiar.
Alan2
Other peole know stuff so I don't have to
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #2588 on: February 23, 2021, 12:12:39 PM »

June Tabor.   Not a completist, but I have a few of her albums. The most recent one i bought was a Record store day 2LP release of Ashore.
ColinB
a better way to put it
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Lancaster

« Reply #2589 on: February 23, 2021, 04:41:34 PM »

The new release from James Yorkston & The Second Hand Orchestra - The Wide, Wide River.

Listen to my Off The Beaten Tracks radio shows on Mixcloud
https://www.mixcloud.com/cmbertram/
Will S
A twinset of librarians
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: near Aldbrickham, in the Royal County

« Reply #2590 on: February 23, 2021, 05:04:26 PM »

Bit of an Al Stewart thing going on today:

A Beach Full Of Shells, followed by Down In The Cellar and now Indian Summer Live.

All the diamonds in the world
That mean anything to me,
Are conjured up by wind and sunlight
Sparkling on the sea
(Bruce Cockburn)
Sue & Chris

« Reply #2591 on: February 23, 2021, 05:08:11 PM »

An afternoon of bluesy noodling with the Tedeschi Trucks Band, Walter Trout, and Little Steven.
Nick Reg
The Dreaded
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: NEWCASTLE, STAFFS

Merry Hell are coming

« Reply #2592 on: February 23, 2021, 05:19:19 PM »

An afternoon of bluesy noodling with the Tedeschi Trucks Band, Walter Trout, and Little Steven.

Susan Tedeschi and Derek Trucks are the bees knees. I watch them on Youtube several times a week along with Boygenius and Wilco.

There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets
Nick Reg
The Dreaded
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Merry Hell are coming

« Reply #2593 on: February 23, 2021, 05:26:06 PM »

On Cd its The Fellside Collection by Jez Lowe.

wayne stote
Many thanks for the Doobies advice

« Reply #2594 on: February 23, 2021, 07:23:52 PM »

A Beach Full Of Shells, followed by Down In The Cellar and now Indian Summer Live.

That sounds like a very pleasant way to while away a couple of hours.  Smiley
ColinB
a better way to put it
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Lancaster

« Reply #2595 on: February 23, 2021, 08:30:24 PM »

I was listening to his album The Ballad Beyond just yesterday which I bought at an unplugged gig he did in Morecambe 2 or 3 years ago. How's the Fellside Collection?

Listen to my Off The Beaten Tracks radio shows on Mixcloud
https://www.mixcloud.com/cmbertram/
Nick Reg
The Dreaded
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Merry Hell are coming

« Reply #2596 on: February 23, 2021, 10:32:27 PM »

I was listening to his album The Ballad Beyond just yesterday which I bought at an unplugged gig he did in Morecambe 2 or 3 years ago. How's the Fellside Collection?

Excellent ,a lot of his best known songs, as its the first 6 albums on 5 cds. I had some vouchers to redeem so got it for £19 from Amazon, but its £15 from Jez's website. Tremendous value.

GubGub (Al)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #2597 on: February 23, 2021, 10:45:19 PM »

Vinyl day today.

Furr (disc 2) - Blitzen Trapper
The Chirping Crickets - Buddy Holly & The Crickets
Monolith of Phobos - The Claypool Lennon Delirium
Autobahn - Kraftwerk
Alan2
Other peole know stuff so I don't have to
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #2598 on: February 24, 2021, 09:01:48 AM »

That sounds like a very pleasant way to while away a couple of hours. †Smiley

Indeed. Excellent choices of AS albums.

Year of the cat gets a deluxe anniversary release this year.
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Caer

« Reply #2599 on: February 24, 2021, 09:40:14 AM »

Does anyone here know Grey Malkin (the Hare and the Moon et al)?

There's a really interesting review here (and a playlist he's put up) https://www.northcountryprimitive.co.uk/post/ghosts-murder-talking-ravens-what-s-not-to-like-an-interview-with-grey-malkin?fbclid=IwAR2wj3M2-gSUQw-hzrcvVnpE2CCD96kpKsBu5D3kMfZyQszz4glhb7E1D0Q

So I've been listening to that playlist this morning.  And, somewhat bizarrely, an Reo Speedwagon best of....I feel a bit dirty but I quite enjoyed it  Smiley

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Pages: 1 ... 128 129 [130] 131 132 ... 134   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: