TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
January 16, 2021, 11:20:32 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 120 121 [122]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Listening to.......  (Read 293302 times)
PaulT
Memory jogger
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Gloucester

« Reply #2420 on: January 13, 2021, 12:51:02 PM »

John Coltrane The Complete 1961 Village Vanguard Recordings...MP3 from Amazon for £3.49 (4 & 1/2 hours of music) which I have now burnt onto CDs...Amazing sounding remastering of a 60 year old recording... Cool

Glen - did you find any problems with the last track? One reviewer says "Track 22 "Spiritual (#4)" is faulty starting at roughly the 14:30 to 15 minute mark, after which it just plays like a stuck record for the final 5 minutes".  This comment was posted in Dec 2018, so it may have been rectified by now - no other reviewers mention it...

Cheers
Paul

Said the straight man, to the late man...
RobertD
Holy expletive delighted...
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: New York City

« Reply #2421 on: January 13, 2021, 04:22:51 PM »

The three albums by Health & Happiness Show-Tonic, Instant Living and Sad & Sexy. All solid, roots based music with great songs by James Mastro, who was in The Bongos. I was slightly behind the boom days of the Hoboken, NJ music scene in the 1980's with The Bongos, Feelies, Yo La Tengo, etc, but I did see H&H Show several times (once they even opened for Oysterband!) and they were really good

I'm just a little shy of Surf's Up and I'm deeper than Twist and Shout....Iain Matthews
GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #2422 on: January 13, 2021, 04:25:08 PM »

The three albums by Health & Happiness Show-Tonic, Instant Living and Sad & Sexy. All solid, roots based music with great songs by James Mastro, who was in The Bongos. I was slightly behind the boom days of the Hoboken, NJ music scene in the 1980's with The Bongos, Feelies, Yo La Tengo, etc, but I did see H&H Show several times (once they even opened for Oysterband!) and they were really good

James Mastro. That name rings a bell. Has he been part of Ian Hunter's Rant Band in recent years?
Nick Reg
The Dreaded
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: NEWCASTLE, STAFFS

Merry Hell are coming

« Reply #2423 on: January 13, 2021, 04:35:27 PM »

James Mastro. That name rings a bell. Has he been part of Ian Hunter's Rant Band in recent years?

And played on the last Mott The Hoople tour.

There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets
RobertD
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #2424 on: January 13, 2021, 04:38:00 PM »

Yes, he has been touring with Ian Hunter for quite awhile now I believe. Also owns a great guitar shop in Hoboken called Guitar Bar

I'm just a little shy of Surf's Up and I'm deeper than Twist and Shout....Iain Matthews
Glen S
and I do love a bit of Macca whimsy

Loc: Oxfordshire

« Reply #2425 on: January 13, 2021, 05:18:20 PM »

John Coltrane The Complete 1961 Village Vanguard Recordings...MP3 from Amazon for £3.49 (4 & 1/2 hours of music) which I have now burnt onto CDs...Amazing sounding remastering of a 60 year old recording... Cool

Glen - did you find any problems with the last track? One reviewer says "Track 22 "Spiritual (#4)" is faulty starting at roughly the 14:30 to 15 minute mark, after which it just plays like a stuck record for the final 5 minutes". †This comment was posted in Dec 2018, so it may have been rectified by now - no other reviewers mention it...

Cheers
Paul

Hi Paul...I read that comment too, but then decided that for £3.49 it was worth the risk... Grin

No problems at all with my copy (I've just checked track 22 again to make sure)...It's a lovely sounding recording...Really pleased...And for that price it's a no brainer!... Smiley

Glen
PaulT
Memory jogger
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Gloucester

« Reply #2426 on: January 13, 2021, 05:49:59 PM »

Thanks Glen. I went for it anyway, like you...

Said the straight man, to the late man...
Bridgwit (Bridget)
I had a feeling there would be stripping involved
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: South Wales

« Reply #2427 on: Yesterday at 11:47:51 AM »

Working in my newly-appointed and luxurious* home office with a view of the Exmoor hills (a tiny wedge between the rooftops but it's there! And I can see Minehead Butlins on a clear day...) so I can listen to music all day. Today is a nice, laid-back relaxed day of jazz. Currently The Essential Dave Brubeck and soon to be Miles Davis and Thelonious Monk.

Nice  Wink

* For luxurious read functional

Never look down on anyone
Unless you're helping them up
fat Billy(Bill)
Babycham Bill
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: deepest suffolk

may decay in direct sunlight

« Reply #2428 on: Yesterday at 12:09:54 PM »

Working in my newly-appointed and luxurious* home office with a view of the Exmoor hills (a tiny wedge between the rooftops but it's there! And I can see Minehead Butlins on a clear day...) so I can listen to music all day. Today is a nice, laid-back relaxed day of jazz. Currently The Essential Dave Brubeck and soon to be Miles Davis and Thelonious Monk.

Nice †Wink

* For luxurious read functional

I made a small error the other week, listening to charlie parker when attempting to do something complex on screen
Alan2
Other peole know stuff so I don't have to
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #2429 on: Yesterday at 12:33:40 PM »

Sandy Denny: I've Always Kept a Unicorn- the Acoustic..(Island 2LP, 2016).
wayne stote
Many thanks for the Doobies advice

« Reply #2430 on: Yesterday at 01:06:03 PM »

Trevor Lucas - Live At The Troubadour

The old Attic Tracks cassette remastered and released on CD. Didn't know it existed until a few weeks ago but it's a very enjoyable collection.

I've never heard the original tape to compare and contrast but the sound quality on the CD is good and Trevor is in fine voice throughout. Happy to add this to my Fairport pile.  Smiley
John From Austin
Donovan is my new texting buddy
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Austin

« Reply #2431 on: Yesterday at 05:15:35 PM »

I love that CD; I need to dig it out of the pile and rip it to iTunes so I can actually listen to it occasionally.
wayne stote
Many thanks for the Doobies advice

« Reply #2432 on: Yesterday at 06:07:58 PM »

I love that CD; I need to dig it out of the pile and rip it to iTunes so I can actually listen to it occasionally.

I'm really enjoying it.

Have you (or anyone here!  Smiley) heard his two Sixties solo records. If so, any good?
John From Austin
Donovan is my new texting buddy
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Austin

« Reply #2433 on: Yesterday at 09:18:58 PM »

I'm really enjoying it.

Have you (or anyone here! †Smiley) heard his two Sixties solo records. If so, any good?

Not me. I've seen vinyl copies of Overlander for sale on eBay for $1 plus shipping. I've got Eclection, but I rarely listen to it. Trevor's couple of songs are the best ones on it.
Speleologist (Robin)
racing in gales

Loc: Gibraltar or Spain

I'd rather be sailing

« Reply #2434 on: Yesterday at 10:23:02 PM »

I bought the Cassette at Cropredy many years ago. I haven't listened to it for years as I have no means of playing it. I'll have to investigate getting it in a format I can use.

"Posthabui tamen illorum mea seria ludo"
RobertD
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #2435 on: Yesterday at 10:31:34 PM »

I bought the Cassette at Cropredy many years ago. I haven't listened to it for years as I have no means of playing it. I'll have to investigate getting it in a format I can use.

It is available on Itunes, if you have that. I bought the download from there last year and its quite enjoyable. Not great sound quality but Trevorís voice shines. I heard some of Overlander via YouTube. Its very folky, very Martin Carthy-esque. Which Iím guessing is how he found himself in Carthy snd Swarbís circle. I know on one of the early Carthy/Swarb albumís Trevor was  mentioned as Martinís source for a song.

Alan2
Other peole know stuff so I don't have to
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #2436 on: Today at 08:53:18 AM »

Sandy Denny and the Strawbs:  All Our Own Work  (Numerophon 2LP, 2014).

Saddened while listening to this, by the realisation that 3 of the 4 musicians on it are no longer with us.
mickf
Nevertheless, quite entertaining
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Blackwood, South Wales

« Reply #2437 on: Today at 09:06:07 AM »

A few months ago I bought 'Angel Headed Hipster', a tribute to Marc Bolan by a variety of artists, some who are household names, others less so. I've only just got round to listening to it. Unfortunately, in my humble opinion, it's uniformly awful. What a wasted opportunity. Oh well..

In order to expunge it from my mind I went to my tried and trusted 'Neil Young's Greatest Hits' cd. All the Neil Young you'll ever need (again, in my humble opinion!!)

If I had all the money I've spent on drink, I'd spend it on drink!
Pages: 1 ... 120 121 [122]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: