TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
January 16, 2021, 11:32:44 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 119 120 [121] 122   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Listening to.......  (Read 293304 times)
Nick Reg
The Dreaded
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: NEWCASTLE, STAFFS

Merry Hell are coming

« Reply #2400 on: January 07, 2021, 05:00:37 PM »

Lost Songs by The kettles aka Merry Hell/Tansads dropped through the letterbox today. Lots of rarely played songs by both bands many with new arrangements and different singers. Nice to hear Pendle Hill live again and john doing an interesting take on the goddess Janet's classic Shes Not Gone. Several vocals by John and Bob, but I would have liked to hear John sing Horses which I have not heard live since my retirement party when he did it for me. Its a song that is very relevant today.

My copy also arrived today, along with When We Meet Again CD single (featuring the Social Isolation Choir - of which I am a part).

Yes, mine too but they are quarantining for a couple of days before I play them.

According to Amazon they were despatched ages ago, so once they are out of the envelope they should be OK. However I have absolutely no issue with your decision. Stay safe.

There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets
GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #2401 on: January 07, 2021, 05:06:53 PM »

Lost Songs by The kettles aka Merry Hell/Tansads dropped through the letterbox today. Lots of rarely played songs by both bands many with new arrangements and different singers. Nice to hear Pendle Hill live again and john doing an interesting take on the goddess Janet's classic Shes Not Gone. Several vocals by John and Bob, but I would have liked to hear John sing Horses which I have not heard live since my retirement party when he did it for me. Its a song that is very relevant today.

My copy also arrived today, along with When We Meet Again CD single (featuring the Social Isolation Choir - of which I am a part).

Mine came direct from the band and I know from an email that they were still sending them off as recently as yesterday

Yes, mine too but they are quarantining for a couple of days before I play them.

According to Amazon they were despatched ages ago, so once they are out of the envelope they should be OK. However I have absolutely no issue with your decision. Stay safe.

Mine came direct from the band and I know from an email that they were still sending them off as recently as yesterday so I'm not sure when they were despatched. I only do this with things that have no shrink wrap. Much as I hate the stuff, if an item is wrapped I just remove it, discard it and wash my hands and then I am ready to roll.
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Caer

« Reply #2402 on: January 08, 2021, 08:35:08 AM »

Carolyn Franklin, after reading this https://www.theguardian.com/music/2021/jan/07/a-legend-in-her-own-right-carolyn-franklin-arethas-forgotten-sister

This is bloody marvellous https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=26hYyrCQ5DE&feature=emb_title

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Nick Reg
The Dreaded
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Merry Hell are coming

« Reply #2403 on: January 08, 2021, 11:04:23 AM »

Mine came direct from the band and I know from an email that they were still sending them off as recently as yesterday

Mine came direct from the band and I know from an email that they were still sending them off as recently as yesterday so I'm not sure when they were despatched. I only do this with things that have no shrink wrap. Much as I hate the stuff, if an item is wrapped I just remove it, discard it and wash my hands and then I am ready to roll.

Even those ordered from Amazon come direct from the band but I still got the notification from Amazon. the band dont actually mind, profitwise, where you order from but Amazon orders do qualify for their chart.

GubGub (Al)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #2404 on: January 12, 2021, 04:58:24 PM »

A lot of Kinks. 2 disc deluxe editions of all of the following, which I have just picked up:

Kinks
Kinda Kinks
The Kink Kontroversy
Face To Face
Something Else By The Kinks

To be followed by a lot of Immaculate Fools, courtesy of the new Cherry Red boxed set of their complete studio albums plus a newly compiled live disc. I loved their first two albums back in my college days but lost touch after that.
Jules Gray
Go on, groove my truffles
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Cheltenham

What makes the buzzard buzz?

« Reply #2405 on: January 12, 2021, 05:25:53 PM »

To be followed by a lot of Immaculate Fools, courtesy of the new Cherry Red boxed set of their complete studio albums plus a newly compiled live disc. I loved their first two albums back in my college days but lost touch after that.

I wonder - did they ever stop sounding like a poor man's Psychedelic Furs?

Jules

Now be thankful for good things below
GubGub (Al)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #2406 on: January 12, 2021, 05:46:50 PM »

Jules

1. I wouldn't know. I have never listened to the Psychedelic Furs.
2. Immaculate Fools and Dumb Poet amongst others are peerless songs that don't sound like a poor man's anybody.
3. Are we meant to go round trashing people's musical taste here? ☹️
Nick Reg
The Dreaded
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Merry Hell are coming

« Reply #2407 on: January 12, 2021, 06:48:59 PM »

Jules

1. I wouldn't know. I have never listened to the Psychedelic Furs.
2. Immaculate Fools and Dumb Poet amongst others are peerless songs that don't sound like a poor man's anybody.
3. Are we meant to go round trashing people's musical taste here? ☹️

I really liked them, have to listen to this.

Andy
Brain half the size of a planet
Global Moderator

Loc: South West Wales

Not perfect. Never claimed to be.

« Reply #2408 on: January 12, 2021, 07:17:53 PM »

Steely Dan. Lots of Steely Dan.

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion, C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhšuser Gate.

Lost in time like tears in the rain
Jules Gray
Go on, groove my truffles
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Cheltenham

What makes the buzzard buzz?

« Reply #2409 on: January 12, 2021, 08:33:33 PM »

Are we meant to go round trashing people's musical taste here? ☹️

Then I retract the "poor man's", but they sure did sound like The Furs.

Jules

Now be thankful for good things below
Swamp Donkey (Keith)

Loc: Bedfordshire

« Reply #2410 on: January 12, 2021, 08:47:53 PM »

Lost Songs by The Kettles aka Merry Hell/Tansads. I canít get the song Sheís Not Gone out of my head. Missed out on the Tansads, Iím too young †Wink I am going to explore the Transads back catalogue.
Also Trad arrr new album Strange News, is such good rock/folk.

Well it's turned out nice again!
Glen S
and I do love a bit of Macca whimsy

Loc: Oxfordshire

« Reply #2411 on: January 12, 2021, 10:32:42 PM »

John Coltrane The Complete 1961 Village Vanguard Recordings...MP3 from Amazon for £3.49 (4 & 1/2 hours of music) which I have now burnt onto CDs...Amazing sounding remastering of a 60 year old recording... Cool
Nick Reg
The Dreaded
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Merry Hell are coming

« Reply #2412 on: January 12, 2021, 11:22:07 PM »

Lost Songs by The Kettles aka Merry Hell/Tansads. I canít get the song Sheís Not Gone out of my head. Missed out on the Tansads, Iím too young †Wink I am going to explore the Transads back catalogue.
Been playing that song for donkeys years (see what I did there), but then you know that.

John From Austin
Donovan is my new texting buddy
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Austin

« Reply #2413 on: January 13, 2021, 12:33:26 AM »

Do they still sound like a poor man's Doobie Brothers?  Grin
Alan2
Other peole know stuff so I don't have to
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #2414 on: January 13, 2021, 07:35:22 AM »

Heather Nova : Pearl (LP  2019).
Nick Reg
The Dreaded
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Merry Hell are coming

« Reply #2415 on: January 13, 2021, 08:49:54 AM »

Do they still sound like a poor man's Doobie Brothers? †Grin
Probably but more bor......zzzzz

Peter Allen

« Reply #2416 on: January 13, 2021, 09:23:14 AM »

A lot of Kinks. 2 disc deluxe editions of all of the following, which I have just picked up:

Kinks
Kinda Kinks
The Kink Kontroversy
Face To Face

Is the bonus stuff worth listening to , I'd imagine this becomes more interesting by Face To Face onward , as the studio technology slowly starts to improve , and Ray's songwriting develops ?
Will S
A twinset of librarians
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: near Aldbrickham, in the Royal County

« Reply #2417 on: January 13, 2021, 09:30:40 AM »

Interesting.  I had the first album and enjoyed it, but haven't heard it now for years.  In fact I'd kind of forgotten about them.  Must look it up on Spotify.

All the diamonds in the world
That mean anything to me,
Are conjured up by wind and sunlight
Sparkling on the sea
(Bruce Cockburn)
Will S
A twinset of librarians
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: near Aldbrickham, in the Royal County

« Reply #2418 on: January 13, 2021, 11:41:29 AM »

Interesting.  I had the first album and enjoyed it, but haven't heard it now for years.  In fact I'd kind of forgotten about them.  Must look it up on Spotify.

Well, that's an interesting experience.  Usually when reminded of a band whose album(s) I had in the past, listening again brings the songs back to me.  But with the Immaculate Fools first album, there's nothing there apart from a vague familiarity with the general sound.  I could even have sworn that the album was self-titled, but apparently I was wrong about that too!

All the diamonds in the world
That mean anything to me,
Are conjured up by wind and sunlight
Sparkling on the sea
(Bruce Cockburn)
GubGub (Al)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #2419 on: January 13, 2021, 11:51:39 AM »

You won't be disappointed by Tansads. Essentially Merry Hell but with a slightly punkier attitude but good luck finding affordable physical copies of some of their albums.

Kinks
Kinda Kinks
The Kink Kontroversy
Face To Face

Is the bonus stuff worth listening to , I'd imagine this becomes more interesting by Face To Face onward , as the studio technology slowly starts to improve , and Ray's songwriting develops ?

I am working my way through. Basically you get mono and stereo versions of each album (except Kinda Kinks which is just mono) plus associated singles, B sides, EP tracks, BBC sessions, demoes, alternate mixes for overseas releases. A lot of stuff but inevitably a fair bit of song repetition.

Interesting. †I had the first album and enjoyed it, but haven't heard it now for years. †In fact I'd kind of forgotten about them. †Must look it up on Spotify.
[/quote]

Listening to that first album now and it really is splendid. I †can't comment on the Furs comparison but I do hear a bit of Big Country (who I am actually not especially fond of). I can't remember which band came out of the traps first but my first encounter with Immaculate Fools was supporting Tom Robinson in Guildford when he was touring the Hope & Glory album (the one which contained War Baby) which would have been 1984 I think.
Pages: 1 ... 119 120 [121] 122   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: