TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
March 04, 2021, 06:24:58 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 111 112 [113] 114 115 ... 133   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Listening to.......  (Read 336812 times)
Ian_
blazzawazzada brortewtomay
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Warwickshire

None the wiser

« Reply #2240 on: December 02, 2020, 01:04:23 PM »

The Thirteenth Floor Elevators - Easter Everywhere

A 2cd set with mono and stereo mixes - the mono wins hands down. Never enjoyed the first album or Bull of the woods much, but this one goes deep.... Smiley

The most beautiful experience we can have is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science." Albert Einstein
Jules Gray
Go on, groove my truffles
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Cheltenham

What makes the buzzard buzz?

« Reply #2241 on: December 02, 2020, 01:11:50 PM »

A 2cd set with mono and stereo mixes - the mono wins hands down. Never enjoyed the first album or Bull of the woods much, but this one goes deep.... Smiley

I could never get past that ******* jug.

Jules

Now be thankful for good things below
Jim G
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Bridport ,Dorset

« Reply #2242 on: December 02, 2020, 06:32:04 PM »

New splendid Tankus The Henge album  Luna Park - popped through my letterbox this morning - including the long-awaited release on CD (for me at least) of their song Susie Sidewinder , of which I have long admired the live version.

Oh dear someone had too much time on their hands during lockdown. The track Susie Sidewinder is so overproduced it sounds like it has been recorded underwater!  The wonderful live  acapela introduction of live version has been left off very dissapointed. Sometimes less is more.
Alan2
Other peole know stuff so I don't have to
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #2243 on: December 03, 2020, 09:23:39 AM »

Pete Atkin albums. My old Lps and CD reissues, which are themselves getting on a bit.

I come back to these often enough..They never pall, as Clive might have said. Songwriting which is outside the pop and rock territory altogether really.

Ian_
blazzawazzada brortewtomay
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Warwickshire

None the wiser

« Reply #2244 on: December 03, 2020, 09:45:21 AM »

I could never get past that ******* jug.

Jules

Grin

The most beautiful experience we can have is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science." Albert Einstein
GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #2245 on: December 03, 2020, 09:46:24 AM »

Dancing Tunes - the new album by Edward II. It is a collection of traditional Jamaican songs and as such seems to have less folk in the mix this time but also less reggae. It is closer to calypso.

I haven't been focusing on the lyrics but it is a very happy, sunny sounding record for a rainy day.
Bridgwit (Bridget)
I had a feeling there would be stripping involved
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: South Wales

« Reply #2246 on: December 03, 2020, 10:21:03 AM »

Dancing Tunes - the new album by Edward II. It is a collection of traditional Jamaican songs and as such seems to have less folk in the mix this time but also less reggae. It is closer to calypso.

I haven't been focusing on the lyrics but it is a very happy, sunny sounding record for a rainy day.
That sounds like the kind of music I need today!

Never look down on anyone
Unless you're helping them up
Andy
Brain half the size of a planet
Global Moderator

Loc: South West Wales

Not perfect. Never claimed to be.

« Reply #2247 on: December 03, 2020, 03:02:10 PM »

Me too. Great, innit. The album notes say this is Mento / Calypso. So, minty!  Fez

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion, C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate.

Lost in time like tears in the rain
PaulT
Memory jogger
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Gloucester

« Reply #2248 on: December 03, 2020, 03:14:34 PM »

Yep, it's a great album - enjoyed the dub versions, too!  Cool

Said the straight man, to the late man...
ColinB
a better way to put it
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Lancaster

« Reply #2249 on: December 03, 2020, 03:54:31 PM »

Mossy Christian - Come Nobles and Heroes

In the press release he's described as, "a young man steeped in traditional music". He plays fiddle and concertina & melodeon and has guests on the album playing brass instruments, hurdy-gurdy and clog dancing.

http://nicksites.net/mossy/

Listen to my Off The Beaten Tracks radio shows on Mixcloud
https://www.mixcloud.com/cmbertram/
DarrenWilliams

Loc: St Helens

« Reply #2250 on: December 03, 2020, 04:04:24 PM »

I have hinted very heavily to my better half that I would like this for Christmas, along with the Trees box-set.
GubGub (Al)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #2251 on: December 03, 2020, 04:06:26 PM »

Yep, it's a great album - enjoyed the dub versions, too!  Cool

I think the dub versions are my favourite tracks.

Am now on to Luna Park! by Tankus The Henge. About half way through first listen. Pretty good so far, though the first two albums will take some beating.
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Caer

« Reply #2252 on: December 04, 2020, 08:57:27 AM »

Laura Cannell and Kate Ellis Winter Rituals ep

I don't know what it is, but like all of Laura's work, I absolutely love it.

https://brawlrecords.bandcamp.com/album/winter-rituals-ep

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
GubGub (Al)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #2253 on: December 04, 2020, 10:42:15 AM »

Am now on to Luna Park! by Tankus The Henge. About half way through first listen. Pretty good so far, though the first two albums will take some beating.

Well the songs are great but the CD is brickwalled to the point of distortion. It is an uncomfortable listen and may therefore be a rare one.  Sad
Nick Reg
The Dreaded
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: NEWCASTLE, STAFFS

Merry Hell are coming

« Reply #2254 on: December 04, 2020, 12:10:46 PM »

Pete Atkin albums. My old Lps and CD reissues, which are themselves getting on a bit.

I come back to these often enough..They never pall, as Clive might have said. Songwriting which is outside the pop and rock territory altogether really.

I love Secret Drinker and Road of Silk

There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets
GubGub (Al)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #2255 on: December 04, 2020, 12:55:36 PM »

Is it wrong that the second track on the new Edward II album reminds me of the Bonzo Dog Doo Dah Band?
Andy
Brain half the size of a planet
Global Moderator

Loc: South West Wales

Not perfect. Never claimed to be.

« Reply #2256 on: December 04, 2020, 01:03:13 PM »

Well the songs are great but the CD is brickwalled to the point of distortion. It is an uncomfortable listen and may therefore be a rare one.  Sad
You might want to try ripping it to MP3, then using MP3Gain, which changes volume losslessly.

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion, C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate.

Lost in time like tears in the rain
GubGub (Al)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #2257 on: December 04, 2020, 01:14:26 PM »

You might want to try ripping it to MP3, then using MP3Gain, which changes volume losslessly.

Thanks Andy. I'll try that.

Meanwhile I have just given another listen to Wreckless Abandon by The Dirty Knobs. It really is one of the most enjoyable flat out rock n roll records of the year. It is not trying to be anything other than what it is, which is a lot of fun.
Alan2
Other peole know stuff so I don't have to
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #2258 on: December 05, 2020, 08:53:33 AM »

I love Secret Drinker and Road of Silk

Me too. Pete/Clive never made a bad album.
GubGub (Al)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #2259 on: December 05, 2020, 10:33:58 AM »

Not sure if this should be here or in the Bargain Bin thread. New box of the complete Island albums by Bob Marley. Eleven discs for £30. Standard versions not expanded but I have only ever owned three non compilations, the expanded Live, Exodus and Kaya sets which I shall keep. I do have the Songs of Freedom box and a two disc best of.

Listening this morning to Catch A Fire and Burnin'
Pages: 1 ... 111 112 [113] 114 115 ... 133   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: