TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
March 02, 2021, 07:58:37 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 108 109 [110] 111 112 ... 133   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Listening to.......  (Read 335841 times)
wayne stote
Many thanks for the Doobies advice

« Reply #2180 on: November 18, 2020, 10:02:58 PM »

I only got two Stones albums. Steel Wheels which I picked up because Phil Beer played on it and I was curious about his contribution, and Exile On Main Street, which was in a job lot of CD I acquired recently.

They are both pleasant enough while playing but neither give me any clues as to why the band are so iconic.
Jim
Klaatu barada nikto
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: manchester

Here To Help

« Reply #2181 on: November 18, 2020, 10:53:38 PM »

The must have Stones albums are, in chronological order,  Beggars Banquet, Let it Bleed, Sticky Fingers and Exile on Main St, no record collection worth shelf space is complete without them.

Today, yesterday and some of tomorrow i have been listening  to the Trees box on Amazon music, its quite a decent set, better than i was expecting, but some of Celia Humphries singing sets the dogs in the neighbourhood off howling!😱

The Dude abides
Alan2
Other peole know stuff so I don't have to
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #2182 on: November 19, 2020, 08:35:34 AM »

The must have Stones albums are, in chronological order,  Beggars Banquet, Let it Bleed, Sticky Fingers and Exile on Main St, no record collection worth shelf space is complete without them.

Today, yesterday and some of tomorrow i have been listening  to the Trees box on Amazon music, its quite a decent set, better than i was expecting, but some of Celia Humphries singing sets the dogs in the neighbourhood off howling!😱

I've been listening to the Trees 4LP set . It's very good indeed,   and I wasn't expecting the 2018  live tracks from the 'on the Shore Band'.  
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Caer

« Reply #2183 on: November 19, 2020, 08:42:23 AM »

I've been listening to the Trees 4LP set . It's very good indeed,   and I wasn't expecting the 2018  live tracks from the 'on the Shore Band'.  

I've got the whole recording somewhere.  It's great.  I had a ticket too...just couldn't get there.  Harumph.

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Jules Gray
Go on, groove my truffles
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Cheltenham

What makes the buzzard buzz?

« Reply #2184 on: November 19, 2020, 09:32:06 AM »

I've been listening to some of their old albums on Spotify and Between The Buttons is worth a listen if only for the large variety of instruments Brian Jones played on it.

That one's certainly underrated.

Jules

Now be thankful for good things below
GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #2185 on: November 19, 2020, 10:27:29 AM »

And those are the ones I have. I've also got Aftermath, Get Your Ya Ya's Out, Some Girls and Steel Wheels (which was my first Stones album) along with The London Years  & 40 Licks compilations. I realise it is heresy but I actually don't like Exile very much but I am definitely a casual Stones fan at best. I am currently reading Dreaming The Beatles by Rob Sheffield and he characterises the difference between the Beatles and the Stones thus. The Beatles are a self effacing "I hope we passed the audition" and the Stones are a lascivious "You wouldn't want my trousers to fall down", which is, I think, hugely astute.

My only criticism is the sequencing of discs 3 & 4. Why not keep all of the 2007 remixes on one disc and everything else  on the other, thereby preserving a more coherent listening experience and avoiding song duplication?

Meanwhile, today I am mostly listening to:

Tamotait - Tamikrest
New York Songs & Stories - Suzanne Vega
Between A Breath & A Breath - Dyble Longdon
Fake Tan - Iain Matthews & The Salmon Smokers
Wildflowers: All The Rest - Tom Petty
Alan2
Other peole know stuff so I don't have to
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #2186 on: November 19, 2020, 11:07:24 AM »

I've got the whole recording somewhere.  It's great.  I had a ticket too...just couldn't get there.  Harumph.

That's interesting . I wonder if it'll ever surface? Celia sounds  a bit uncertain but on  the whole it's very good.

Pity you couldn't make it David.
 What happened?
ColinB
a better way to put it
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Lancaster

« Reply #2187 on: November 19, 2020, 11:09:47 AM »

I only got two Stones albums. Steel Wheels which I picked up because Phil Beer played on it and I was curious about his contribution, and Exile On Main Street, which was in a job lot of CD I acquired recently.

They are both pleasant enough while playing but neither give me any clues as to why the band are so iconic.

Well I've learned something there. I bought Steel Wheels as I saw them on that tour though I wouldn't have known who Phil was back in those days.

My collection of Stones albums has been a bit random. It started with the compilations Rolled Gold and Made in the Shade which my sister had back in the 70s. Since then I've bought Exile on Main Street, Some Girls, Undercover and Flashpoint. I was given A Bigger Bang as a present but only played it a couple of times and then got rid of it.

Back on topic I was listening to Joni Mitchell's Song to a Seagull and Clouds last night. Also a bit of Miles for Aisles but wasn't in the mood for her with a backing band.

Listen to my Off The Beaten Tracks radio shows on Mixcloud
https://www.mixcloud.com/cmbertram/
Peter Allen

« Reply #2188 on: November 19, 2020, 12:02:36 PM »

Rolling Stones LP's were missing from a lot of the "Top 10 albums" lists on here last month , I really enjoyed reading those lists very much , thanks to all those who contributed .
For me as a fan of the Mick Taylor years , it's the lack of consistency , their Lp's have moments of greatness , but not enough of them , to make a truly magnificent run of albums . I'd struggle for a worse pair than"Black & Blue" and  "Love You Live" to put you off following a band's output.
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #2189 on: November 19, 2020, 12:56:39 PM »

I still think the Beggars, Let it Bleed, Sticky Fingers, Exile run with Get your Ya Ya's out in there as well, is one of the greatest runs of albums by any band ever.  

Having said that, I don't actually listen to much Stones these days.  And incidentally I do listen to far more Beatles than I used to.  Go figure.

Having a Richard and Linda morning here (digitally, not the 8-tracks).

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Nick Reg
The Dreaded
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: NEWCASTLE, STAFFS

Merry Hell are coming

« Reply #2190 on: November 19, 2020, 01:45:15 PM »

Rolling Stones LP's were missing from a lot of the "Top 10 albums" lists on here last month , I really enjoyed reading those lists very much , thanks to all those who contributed .
For me as a fan of the Mick Taylor years , it's the lack of consistency , their Lp's have moments of greatness , but not enough of them , to make a truly magnificent run of albums . I'd struggle for a worse pair than"Black & Blue" and  "Love You Live" to put you off following a band's output.

But Black and Blue contains one of my favourite Stones songs, Memory Motel, after Brown Sugar and Gimme Shelter of course.

Its The New OK here at the moment, to be followed by some Martin Stephenson I think.

There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets
Andy
Brain half the size of a planet
Global Moderator

Loc: South West Wales

Not perfect. Never claimed to be.

« Reply #2191 on: November 19, 2020, 02:28:24 PM »

Thursday Variety #Jukebox

#Decemberists #Dylan #EasyStarAllStars #Elvis

* 0527-folder.jpg (48.31 KB, 480x480 - viewed 198 times.)

* 0610-folder.jpg (44.45 KB, 490x480 - viewed 202 times.)

* 0625-folder.jpg (31.36 KB, 488x480 - viewed 202 times.)

* 1569-folder.jpg (46.5 KB, 481x480 - viewed 198 times.)

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion, C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate.

Lost in time like tears in the rain
DarrenWilliams

Loc: St Helens

« Reply #2192 on: November 19, 2020, 02:57:44 PM »

As great as Sticky Fingers and Exile are, the two I keep coming back to are Beggars banquet and Let It Bleed. They've got a nice balance of acoustic and electric.
wayne stote
Many thanks for the Doobies advice

« Reply #2193 on: November 19, 2020, 03:05:14 PM »

Well I've learned something there. I bought Steel Wheels as I saw them on that tour though I wouldn't have known who Phil was back in those days.

My collection of Stones albums has been a bit random. It started with the compilations Rolled Gold and Made in the Shade which my sister had back in the 70s. Since then I've bought Exile on Main Street, Some Girls, Undercover and Flashpoint. I was given A Bigger Bang as a present but only played it a couple of times and then got rid of it.

Back on topic I was listening to Joni Mitchell's Song to a Seagull and Clouds last night. Also a bit of Miles for Aisles but wasn't in the mood for her with a backing band.

I read an article somewhere - possibly Rock 'N' Reel - that mentioned Phil's Stones connection. It piqued my curiosity so I picked up the album. He doesn't play a massive part in proceedings but he's tasteful as ever, when required.
Jules Gray
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #2194 on: November 19, 2020, 03:14:02 PM »

Having said that, I don't actually listen to much Stones these days.  And incidentally I do listen to far more Beatles than I used to.  Go figure.

Well that one's easy to figure - The Beatles are much better.   Wink

Jules

Now be thankful for good things below
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #2195 on: November 19, 2020, 04:15:13 PM »

This won't be for everyone/many on here, but if you like a little twisted "techno" (?) then this new Cabaret Voltaire track is, er, 'banging'.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nhds6KtWZHE

Grauniad article about the new album here https://www.theguardian.com/music/2020/nov/19/cabaret-voltaire-shadow-of-fear-review-a-fittingly-dystopian-fantasy-from-sheffields-industrial-pioneers

GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #2196 on: November 20, 2020, 01:04:50 PM »

Licht - Nena
Letter To You - Bruce Springsteen
People & Places Revisited - Clive Gregson
Emergency Lullabies - Merry Hell
Never Went Back - Splinter
Will S
A twinset of librarians
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: near Aldbrickham, in the Royal County

« Reply #2197 on: November 20, 2020, 05:02:07 PM »

Mannerisms: A Celebration Of The Music Of Geoff Mann - new extended version available from Twelfth Night on Bandcamp[/i]
Mark Knopfler Get Lucky Tour - live at Newcastle 2010 bought from his online shop a few years ago
Nick Drake Way To Blue

All the diamonds in the world
That mean anything to me,
Are conjured up by wind and sunlight
Sparkling on the sea
(Bruce Cockburn)
Jules Gray
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #2198 on: November 20, 2020, 05:49:53 PM »