TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
April 19, 2021, 04:55:24 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 107 108 [109] 110 111 ... 141   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Listening to.......  (Read 378364 times)
Andy
Brain half the size of a planet
Global Moderator

Loc: South West Wales

Not perfect. Never claimed to be.

« Reply #2160 on: November 17, 2020, 10:32:16 PM »

Philip Glass' Low Symphony is well worth a listen.

And if the cloud bursts thunder in your ear
You shout and no one seems to hear
And if the band you're in starts playing different tunes
I'll see you on the dark side of the moon
GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #2161 on: November 18, 2020, 09:12:15 AM »

Fiddle Back - Chris Leslie (one of the year's real surprise highlights)
Songs From Virtual Cropredy EP - The Slambovian Circus of Dreams
Bus Stop Conversations - Clive Gregson
Weathered - Nils Lofgren
Summer Tour 2018 - Celtic Social Club
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Caer

« Reply #2162 on: November 18, 2020, 09:26:09 AM »

He's such a brilliant fiddle player - I do find his day job so frustrating as a result!  Loads of people have mentioned this album to me...I must check it out.

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Will S
A twinset of librarians
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: near Aldbrickham, in the Royal County

« Reply #2163 on: November 18, 2020, 10:30:46 AM »

Little Feat Dixie Chicken and Feats Don't Fail Me Now

All the diamonds in the world
That mean anything to me,
Are conjured up by wind and sunlight
Sparkling on the sea
(Bruce Cockburn)
wayne stote
Many thanks for the Doobies advice

« Reply #2164 on: November 18, 2020, 01:26:43 PM »

I'm having a bit of a run through my collection of albums featuring erstwhile Byrds and so just dug out the McGuinn, Clark & Hillman, McGuinn & Hillman featuring Gene Clark and Mcguinn-Hillman records, form the late Seventies, early Eighties, for the first time in an age.

Forgotten how good they were. Different enough from The Byrds to be their own entities but still full of excellent songs and performances.
Nick Reg
The Dreaded
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: NEWCASTLE, STAFFS

Merry Hell are coming

« Reply #2165 on: November 18, 2020, 02:14:03 PM »

He's such a brilliant fiddle player - I do find his day job so frustrating as a result!  Loads of people have mentioned this album to me...I must check it out.

I thought his performance(s) at Cropredy 1992 were probably the greatest examples of musicianship I have ever seen but I still dont like his songs.

There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #2166 on: November 18, 2020, 02:19:02 PM »

I thought his performance(s) at Cropredy 1992 were probably the greatest examples of musicianship I have ever seen but I still dont like his songs.

Cropredy '92 was one of my very fave Fairport performances....no doubt about that.  With a couple of minor exceptions, I'm no fan of his Fairport songwriting either.

Here, I had a loud angry morning listening to the Crass reissues.  So I'm balancing things out with Trees this afternoon.

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
RobertD
Holy expletive delighted...
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: New York City

« Reply #2167 on: November 18, 2020, 02:28:57 PM »

Probably the two best and most consistent albums in the Feat collection IMHO. After that they became a band going in many directions.

I'm just a little shy of Surf's Up and I'm deeper than Twist and Shout....Iain Matthews
fat Billy(Bill)
Babycham Bill
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: deepest suffolk

may decay in direct sunlight

« Reply #2168 on: November 18, 2020, 02:45:49 PM »

Probably the two best and most consistent albums in the Feat collection IMHO. After that they became a band going in many directions.

Great albums, I am rather fond of "down on the farm" as well....It was my introduction to Little feat.
GubGub (Al)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #2169 on: November 18, 2020, 03:45:12 PM »

Cropredy '92 was one of my very fave Fairport performances....no doubt about that.  With a couple of minor exceptions, I'm no fan of his Fairport songwriting either.

Here, I had a loud angry morning listening to the Crass reissues.  So I'm balancing things out with Trees this afternoon.

I saw them at Gosport Folk Festival a couple of weeks before Cropredy 92, not knowing that Ric was injured. No explanation was given for Chris's presence but they were absolutely on fire that night. The single greatest Fairport performance I have ever seen.

Chris's songs seem to mostly work better in the context of his own album, though it is largely instrumental.
Will S
A twinset of librarians
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: near Aldbrickham, in the Royal County

« Reply #2170 on: November 18, 2020, 04:18:07 PM »

Great albums, I am rather fond of "down on the farm" as well....It was my introduction to Little feat.

I bought the 5 albums collection with those two and Little Feat, Sailing Shoes and The Last Record Album a few years ago, which was pretty much my introduction to the band, and they are my two favourite of those albums.

Now it is onto the The Rolling Stones Hot Rocks 1964-71, which (whisper who dares) is the only Stones album I own.

All the diamonds in the world
That mean anything to me,
Are conjured up by wind and sunlight
Sparkling on the sea
(Bruce Cockburn)
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #2171 on: November 18, 2020, 04:19:28 PM »

I saw them at Gosport Folk Festival a couple of weeks before Cropredy 92, not knowing that Ric was injured. No explanation was given for Chris's presence but they were absolutely on fire that night. The single greatest Fairport performance I have ever seen.

I hadn't realised they'd done other shows (apart from the warm ups).  Nice one.  Do recordings exist?

PaulT
Memory jogger
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Gloucester

« Reply #2172 on: November 18, 2020, 04:56:09 PM »

Yo Miles! by Henry Kaiser & Wadada Leo Smith - arrangements (& 2 WLS originals) based on some of Miles' 1st electric period material. 2CD set - and I've got downloads from bandcamp/cuneiform records of the other 2 Yo Miles! albums to listen to at some point.

However, my wife will be home shortly - so it will be AC/DC's PWR UP album for an hour or so. Looking forward to it actually...

Said the straight man, to the late man...
John From Austin
Donovan is my new texting buddy
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Austin

« Reply #2173 on: November 18, 2020, 05:30:26 PM »

I bought the 5 albums collection with those two and Little Feat, Sailing Shoes and The Last Record Album a few years ago, which was pretty much my introduction to the band, and they are my two favourite of those albums.

Now it is onto the The Rolling Stones Hot Rocks 1964-71, which (whisper who dares) is the only Stones album I own.

What more Stones do you really need?
Jules Gray
Go on, groove my truffles
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Cheltenham

What makes the buzzard buzz?

« Reply #2174 on: November 18, 2020, 05:41:33 PM »

Sticky Fingers, for starters.

Jules

Now be thankful for good things below
John From Austin
Donovan is my new texting buddy
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Austin

« Reply #2175 on: November 18, 2020, 05:53:56 PM »

Sticky Fingers, for starters.

Jules

I am just feeling mischevious. For the record, I own Hot Rocks Volumes 1 and 2, plus Exiles on Main Street and, yes, Sticky Fingers. I feel like I have the Stones covered.
GubGub (Al)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #2176 on: November 18, 2020, 05:54:51 PM »

I hadn't realised they'd done other shows (apart from the warm ups).  Nice one.  Do recordings exist?

Not that I know of. It was the night that Linford Christie won the Olympic 100m gold medal. I sat in the car to listen to it before the show. The gig was in a tent ( on the quay if I remember correctly). Hot, sweaty and raucous. Great night.
Jules Gray
Go on, groove my truffles
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Cheltenham

What makes the buzzard buzz?

« Reply #2177 on: November 18, 2020, 06:57:46 PM »

I am just feeling mischievous. For the record, I own Hot Rocks Volumes 1 and 2, plus Exiles on Main Street and, yes, Sticky Fingers. I feel like I have the Stones covered.

I'm not going to fight you over it.  I sometimes have to remind myself that I quite like them really, because my default setting is to be distinctly uninterested in them.

Jules

Now be thankful for good things below
ColinB
a better way to put it
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Lancaster

« Reply #2178 on: November 18, 2020, 08:41:56 PM »

I've been listening to some of their old albums on Spotify and Between The Buttons is worth a listen if only for the large variety of instruments Brian Jones played on it.

Listen to my Off The Beaten Tracks radio shows on Mixcloud
https://www.mixcloud.com/cmbertram/
Chris from Fieldtown
Sorry Bob

Loc: Fieldtown, Oxon

« Reply #2179 on: November 18, 2020, 09:26:55 PM »

I am just feeling mischievous. For the record, I own Hot Rocks Volumes 1 and 2, plus Exiles on Main Street and, yes, Sticky Fingers. I feel like I have the Stones covered.

I'm not going to fight you over it.  I sometimes have to remind myself that I quite like them really, because my default setting is to be distinctly uninterested in them.

Jules

That pretty sums up my feelings too. The singles are great pieces of music and on the strength of those I've been trying to fill in some of the albums to see what I've missed over the years. Sticky Fngers is the only one that really draws me back for repeated plays so I don't feel I need to invest in any more
Pages: 1 ... 107 108 [109] 110 111 ... 141   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: