TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
September 19, 2020, 02:12:17 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 92 93 [94] 95   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Listening to.......  (Read 191642 times)
Will S
A twinset of librarians
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: near Aldbrickham, in the Royal County

« Reply #1860 on: September 11, 2020, 10:08:53 AM »

Given that it is 6 years ago that U2 gave away Songs of Innocence away on iTunes - to much complaints from many, but I wasn't complaining! - I'm giving it another listen now, and still think it holds up well as one of the best of their albums.

All the diamonds in the world
That mean anything to me,
Are conjured up by wind and sunlight
Sparkling on the sea
(Bruce Cockburn)
GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #1861 on: September 11, 2020, 10:47:42 AM »

Received a small haul of discs from Esoteric yesterday, taking advantage of the 20% discount on their website during September.

The Magnificent Moodies (50th Anniversary Edition) - The Moody Blues
Kamikaze - Deke Leonard
Shine On Brightly (Super Deluxe 3 Disc edition) - Procol Harum

The last of these is one of my all time favourite albums and includes the mono mix which was the first version I ever heard/owned on the red Regal Zonophone label. I still have it and it still plays perfectly and sounds great but nice to now have a CD/digital copy.
Bingers (Chris)
Day saved by donated doughnuts
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Essex

Trying to be young!

« Reply #1862 on: September 12, 2020, 10:59:40 AM »

Given that it is 6 years ago that U2 gave away Songs of Innocence away on iTunes - to much complaints from many, but I wasn't complaining! - I'm giving it another listen now, and still think it holds up well as one of the best of their albums.

I received that but never bothered to listen to it! Maybe I will now but, apart from War, Iíve never been a big fan of U2

Born to Run (but not very fast)
GubGub (Al)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1863 on: September 12, 2020, 11:31:04 AM »

Listening to the new Richard & Linda box but having played a lot of Mamas & Papas this week I noticed for the first time that The Bunch's My Girl In The Month Of May is a clear tribute to them. Those backing vocals are sumptuous.
ColinB
a better way to put it
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Lancaster

« Reply #1864 on: September 12, 2020, 06:27:45 PM »

I received that but never bothered to listen to it! Maybe I will now but, apart from War, Iíve never been a big fan of U2

They were one of my favourite bands in the 80s but I rarely listen to them these days. October was probably the last album of theirs I gave a spin. Some nice uilleann pipe playing on one or two tracks.

I've been listening to a few more LPs from the boxful I was given. Most are in pretty good condition though a Joan Baez one I just played was a bit scratched which is a shame as it's a good compilation.  

Listen to my Off The Beaten Tracks radio shows on Mixcloud
https://www.mixcloud.com/cmbertram/
Chris from Fieldtown
Sorry Bob

Loc: Fieldtown, Oxon

« Reply #1865 on: September 12, 2020, 08:36:27 PM »

I received that but never bothered to listen to it! Maybe I will now but, apart from War, I’ve never been a big fan of U2

They were one of my favourite bands in the 80s but I rarely listen to them these days. October was probably the last album of theirs I gave a spin. Some nice uilleann pipe playing on one or two tracks.

I've been listening to a few more LPs from the boxful I was given. Most are in pretty good condition though a Joan Baez one I just played was a bit scratched which is a shame as it's a good compilation.  

Are you enjoying the vinyl experience? Are you finding it different to the CD/download route that has has been the route until recently. I still love the physical nature of an LP and sleeve, an event to listen to a record that CD never quite matched in intensity. Each record I bought was lovingly played over and over but that has got so much less with CD and sheer volume of music on offer.
ColinB
a better way to put it
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #1866 on: September 13, 2020, 11:26:22 AM »

Are you enjoying the vinyl experience? Are you finding it different to the CD/download route that has has been the route until recently. I still love the physical nature of an LP and sleeve, an event to listen to a record that CD never quite matched in intensity. Each record I bought was lovingly played over and over but that has got so much less with CD and sheer volume of music on offer.

I've never stopped listening to vinyl tbh though I suppose back in the 90s my LP collection was rather neglected as CDs were king. But this is a bit like being given a time capsule as all the LPs are from the 70s and 80s when my friend's parents were going to folk gigs and buying records. The two Peter Bond ones were signed by him with a little dedication to the couple. I don't know if they even made the switch to CDs. I suspect not and that they were quite happy to just carry on enjoying their LP records. It's a really nice thing to be given. He could just have taken them all to Oxfam though some will inevitably end up there.

Last night I was playing a cd sent to me by the guy who runs Talking Cats Recordings. The album is Frontrunner by Rakoczy. There's something of a horse theme to it.

mickf
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Barry, South Wales

« Reply #1867 on: September 14, 2020, 12:07:05 PM »

Currently listening to some drunken person murdering 'I Heard it Through the Grapevine' outside! Oh, now he's moved on to 'Ain't Too Proud to Beg'. At leas he's got a semblance of good taste! Grin Grin Grin

If I had all the money I've spent on drink, I'd spend it on drink!
Brian Green

« Reply #1868 on: September 14, 2020, 05:10:54 PM »

A mate of mine has pointed out Steeleye Span Now We are Six as an appropriate listen for today Smiley
Ten Man Mop maybe not allowed Grin
Jim
Klaatu barada nikto
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: manchester

Here To Help

« Reply #1869 on: September 14, 2020, 08:23:52 PM »

A mate of mine has pointed out Steeleye Span Now We are Six as an appropriate listen for today Smiley

Dont get it.

The Dude abides
GubGub (Al)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1870 on: September 14, 2020, 08:26:01 PM »

Dont get it.

The rule of six...
Jim
Klaatu barada nikto
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: manchester

Here To Help

« Reply #1871 on: September 14, 2020, 08:29:35 PM »

Dont get it.

The rule of six...

The penny just dropped, its a covid 19 gag isnt it?
My poor sides😂😂😂

The Dude abides
Brian Green

« Reply #1872 on: September 15, 2020, 07:28:16 AM »

Full House probably not allowed either Embarrassed ...
ColinB
a better way to put it
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #1873 on: September 15, 2020, 08:13:56 PM »

Johnny Silvo - In The Spotlight

I see there's a Sandy Denny connection with him as they both appeared on Alex Campbell and His Friends in '67. His on stage patter reminds me of Mike Harding with the mix of serious and comedy songs. I he had quite an impressive voice.

Will S
A twinset of librarians
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1874 on: September 16, 2020, 09:29:44 AM »

I see there's a Sandy Denny connection with him as they both appeared on Alex Campbell and His Friends in '67. His on stage patter reminds me of Mike Harding with the mix of serious and comedy songs. I he had quite an impressive voice.

There was also an album they made together called Sandy & Johnny, I think.  The Sandy songs have appeared on various collections since.

Sparkling on the sea
(Bruce Cockburn)
GubGub (Al)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1875 on: September 16, 2020, 11:20:29 AM »

The Monterey Pop Festival - a four disc set that I picked up in Germany some time in the late 80s.

Interestingly Discogs lists this as a bootleg but it contains full record company details and I bought it in a mainstream high street department store, Karstadt who are a big chain so it must have had some sort of official distribution in Germany at least. It still has the price ticket on it. 89DM. The sound is excellent and it is a different track line up to the yellow box that was released a few years later.

I haven't played it for years but it is really good.
Nick Reg
The Dreaded
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: NEWCASTLE, STAFFS

Merry Hell are coming

« Reply #1876 on: September 16, 2020, 11:26:11 AM »

There was also an album they made together called Sandy & Johnny, I think. †The Sandy songs have appeared on various collections since.

They didnt make it together , theres just two lots of solo stuff. I bought it over 50 years ago (and still got it)!!

There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets
wayne stote

« Reply #1877 on: September 16, 2020, 01:39:23 PM »

I remember Johnny Silvo from Play School.
Will S
A twinset of librarians
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1878 on: September 16, 2020, 04:55:15 PM »

Thanks for the correction, Nick.  I'm only aware of it from the songs that have shown up on various Sandy compilations.

Sparkling on the sea
(Bruce Cockburn)
Alan2
Other peole know stuff so I don't have to
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1879 on: September 16, 2020, 05:18:09 PM »

Throwing Muses:  Purgatory Paradise (Fire records 2LP, RSD 2020).
Pages: 1 ... 92 93 [94] 95   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: