TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
August 15, 2020, 09:41:02 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 86 87 [88] 89 90   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Listening to.......  (Read 174564 times)
Alan2
Other peole know stuff so I don't have to
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1740 on: July 31, 2020, 04:03:16 PM »

Dave Cousins  :  The Boy in the Sailor Suit (Esoteric rem. CD, 2020).
Chris from Fieldtown
Sorry Bob

Loc: Fieldtown, Oxon

« Reply #1741 on: July 31, 2020, 08:33:42 PM »

What do you think? I've always loved DC's writing and 2 Weeks Last Summer is quite a special album for me. I have the vinyl album School Songs with Willoughby which I played a lot back in the day. But I've lost track of later Strawbs and solo work.
Alan2
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1742 on: August 01, 2020, 08:38:04 AM »

What do you think? I've always loved DC's writing and 2 Weeks Last Summer is quite a special album for me. I have the vinyl album School Songs with Willoughby which I played a lot back in the day. But I've lost track of later Strawbs and solo work.

Hi Chris,

I've always loved 2 Weeks last summer, to the point where I consider it to be as good as any Strawbs album. The boy in the Sailor Suit is a fine album, though like much later Strawbs material leans more toward pop/rock than folk. It has imo say 4 very good tracks, and none really to throw away. I must like it quite a lot, as this is the 2nd time I've bought it- its a remaster of a 2007 release. It isn't always the case but the remaster does actually improve on the original.

You're very lucky having Old School Songs. I dont think there are many copies around. I've bought it on both CD and cassette, and have always enjoyed it..

Alan.
GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #1743 on: August 01, 2020, 09:36:43 AM »

Nearing the end of the golden age of the LP. Only two more years after this but today it is 1980.

The River - Bruce Springsteen
Saved - Bob Dylan
Boy - U2
Remain In Light - Talking Heads
Double Fantasy - John Lennon & Yoko Ono
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Caer

« Reply #1744 on: August 01, 2020, 11:53:33 AM »

Two downloads, although one will be arriving on cassette, and one on CD.

Firstly, Alison Cotton's latest solo work (she's also in the Left Outsides, was in the Eighteenth day of May, played with Jude etc etc)

https://bloxhamtapes.bandcamp.com/album/only-darkness-now

It's genuinely brilliant (think droney folkey psychey).  I think I prefer her solo work to her band material...and seeing she only started doing it the last couple of years, that takes quite some doing.

Secondly, the latest (and they say final) release in the John Barleycorn Reborn series (which started on Woven Wheat Whispers if anybody remembers that brilliant download site)....  Like the others it is a little hit and miss but the hit rate is well above 80%.

https://coldspring.bandcamp.com/album/the-forme-to-the-fynisment-foldes-ful-selden-csr252cd?utm_content=fanpub_fnb_pr&utm_campaign=coldspring%20album%20the-forme-to-the-fynisment-foldes-ful-selden-csr252cd&utm_medium=email&utm_source=album_release

If you know of a nice property to rent in 'Mid Wales'/The borders (Powys really, possibly Ceredigion/Monmouthshire or Herefordshire) for a year from now do please drop me a line.  Many thanks!
ColinB
a better way to put it
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Lancaster

« Reply #1745 on: August 01, 2020, 02:25:06 PM »

Robert Cray Band - That's What I Heard

And happy birthday to himself, born on this day in 1953.

Listen to my Off The Beaten Tracks radio shows on Mixcloud
https://www.mixcloud.com/cmbertram/
Chris from Fieldtown
Sorry Bob

Loc: Fieldtown, Oxon

« Reply #1746 on: August 01, 2020, 06:35:49 PM »

Hi Chris,

I've always loved 2 Weeks last summer, to the point where I consider it to be as good as any Strawbs album. The boy in the Sailor Suit is a fine album, though like much later Strawbs material leans more toward pop/rock than folk. It has imo say 4 very good tracks, and none really to throw away. I must like it quite a lot, as this is the 2nd time I've bought it- its a remaster of a 2007 release. It isn't always the case but the remaster does actually improve on the original.

You're very lucky having Old School Songs. I dont think there are many copies around. I've bought it on both CD and cassette, and have always enjoyed it..

Alan.

Thanks Alan, really helpful. I'll track down a copy, I have lot's of listening available at the moment for some reason
Alan2
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1747 on: August 02, 2020, 04:13:25 PM »

Hi Chris,

Alan.

Thanks Alan, really helpful. I'll track down a copy, I have lot's of listening available at the moment for some reason

You're welcome. Enjoy your catch up.  Cool
GubGub (Al)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1748 on: August 02, 2020, 06:25:22 PM »

Flaming Pie (2020 Remaster) - Paul McCartney.

Just the two disc version, not the ludicrously expensive deluxe edition. One of Macca's best post Beatle albums despite the presence of two rather dull jams, one with Steve Miller, the other with Ringo which could both have been substituted with superior choices. Like most of these releases the second disc is largely stuff that does not require more than a single listen but it astonishingly contains a previously unreleased song, Whole Life, which is instantly one of the best solo tracks that he has ever released. A Stonesy vibe with a hint of Neil Finn, it is a real career highlight. Why on earth was it not on the original album instead of one of the two dirges? Even the contemporary B side, Broomstick (also included) which is another jam with Ringo, is head and shoulders above the one that went on the original record.
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Caer

« Reply #1749 on: August 02, 2020, 06:32:57 PM »

Just the two disc version, not the ludicrously expensive deluxe edition. One of Macca's best post Beatle albums despite the presence of two rather dull jams, one with Steve Miller, the other with Ringo which could both have been substituted with superior choices. Like most of these releases the second disc is largely stuff that does not require more than a single listen but it astonishingly contains a previously unreleased song, Whole Life, which is instantly one of the best solo tracks that he has ever released. A Stonesy vibe with a hint of Neil Finn, it is a real career highlight. Why on earth was it not on the original album instead of one of the two dirges? Even the contemporary B side, Broomstick (also included) which is another jam with Ringo, is head and shoulders above the one that went on the original record.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8aFHWQTu4Oc

If you know of a nice property to rent in 'Mid Wales'/The borders (Powys really, possibly Ceredigion/Monmouthshire or Herefordshire) for a year from now do please drop me a line.  Many thanks!
GubGub (Al)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1750 on: August 02, 2020, 09:10:42 PM »

Much better mix on the album. In fact possibly an entirely different recording as this doesn't really do it justice.

Edit: Yep, just checked. Entirely different recording. Very different, less cluttered, slinkier and entirely superior arrangement. Interesting to know there is another version though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cxyTC96t2ek
Ian_
blazzawazzada brortewtomay
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Warwickshire

None the wiser

« Reply #1751 on: August 03, 2020, 09:12:25 AM »

Two downloads, although one will be arriving on cassette, and one on CD.

Firstly, Alison Cotton's latest solo work (she's also in the Left Outsides, was in the Eighteenth day of May, played with Jude etc etc)

https://bloxhamtapes.bandcamp.com/album/only-darkness-now

It's genuinely brilliant (think droney folkey psychey).  I think I prefer her solo work to her band material...and seeing she only started doing it the last couple of years, that takes quite some doing.

Secondly, the latest (and they say final) release in the John Barleycorn Reborn series (which started on Woven Wheat Whispers if anybody remembers that brilliant download site)....  Like the others it is a little hit and miss but the hit rate is well above 80%.

https://coldspring.bandcamp.com/album/the-forme-to-the-fynisment-foldes-ful-selden-csr252cd?utm_content=fanpub_fnb_pr&utm_campaign=coldspring%20album%20the-forme-to-the-fynisment-foldes-ful-selden-csr252cd&utm_medium=email&utm_source=album_release

Thank you for that David! I thought the JBR series had been put to bed years ago.... Smiley

The most beautiful experience we can have is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science." Albert Einstein
mickf
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Barry, South Wales

« Reply #1752 on: August 03, 2020, 09:52:05 AM »

I have the original CD and I agree it's one of his best solo albums. My favourite track is the lovely 'Somedays'. I rather like the track with Steve Miller, though.

If I had all the money I've spent on drink, I'd spend it on drink!
GubGub (Al)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1753 on: August 03, 2020, 10:19:24 AM »

Well, there are two or three tracks on which he plays. I think he is on the excellent Young Boy but I find Used To Be Bad very dull.

I am now on to the last two years of the golden age of the LP record according to David Hepworth, 1981 & 1982.

Dare - The Human League
My Life In The Bush of Ghosts - Brian Eno & David Byrne
Pretenders 2 - The Pretenders
Nebraska - Bruce Springsteen
The Nightfly - Donald Fagen
Shoot Out The Lights - Richard & Linda Thompson
The Lexicon of Love - ABC
Thriller - Michael Jackson

I have the original CD and I agree it's one of his best solo albums. My favourite track is the lovely 'Somedays'. I rather like the track with Steve Miller, though.
Alan2
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1754 on: August 03, 2020, 03:11:13 PM »

Mellow Candle : Swaddling Songs/ Early demos etc. (Rise Above Relics 2LP, 2012).
mightyglydd
An electric train freak should have no problems

Loc: Hollywood California

« Reply #1755 on: August 03, 2020, 09:25:45 PM »

The Grey Album - Danger Mouse

Thought I'd lent out the CD and never got it back, happily not.
RobertD
Holy expletive delighted...
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: New York City

« Reply #1756 on: August 04, 2020, 06:56:16 AM »

Bob Dylan-Travelin' Thru-The Bootleg Series Vol. 15 1967-1969 on. Bought this earlier today on vinyl, my last little treat for myself music purchase wise for the foreseeable future. I know several people here are big Bob Dylan aficionados. I'm more on the outskirts of town, but I bought this today because of the Johnny Cash connection on this collection. I read reviews before I purchased and I gather this is not the best volume in the bootleg series, but I have been enjoying it, especially the patter between Johnny and Bob. Additionally, the four tracks with Earl Scruggs that finish the set are outstanding. This is also the first vinyl box set I have ever purchased, and I really love the packaging. Now to find a home for it in my limited space!  Wink

I'm just a little shy of Surf's Up and I'm deeper than Twist and Shout....Iain Matthews
GubGub (Al)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1757 on: August 04, 2020, 11:34:37 AM »

Inspired by the excellent Laurel Canyon series on Sky Documentaries, I picked up a cheap copy of Linda Ronstadt's Greatest Hits Vols 1&2. A previously unexplored artist though I do love her cover of Elvis Costello's Alison which is sadly not on this album.
RobertD
Holy expletive delighted...
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: New York City

« Reply #1758 on: August 04, 2020, 05:13:40 PM »

Inspired by the excellent Laurel Canyon series on Sky Documentaries, I picked up a cheap copy of Linda Ronstadt's Greatest Hits Vols 1&2. A previously unexplored artist though I do love her cover of Elvis Costello's Alison which is sadly not on this album.

I have never gone deep catalog on Linda Ronstadt, but those greatest hits albums truly are um..great. She really has so many songs that you know or have heard many times. Sometimes I forget myself until I play Volume I and II. I only wish the tape recorders had been working that night in LA in the Troubadour with Fairport doing Silver Threads & Golden Needles!

I'm just a little shy of Surf's Up and I'm deeper than Twist and Shout....Iain Matthews
Bridgwit (Bridget)
I had a feeling there would be stripping involved
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: South Wales

« Reply #1759 on: August 04, 2020, 05:34:42 PM »

This, from Radio 4 June 2019. The acapella music is hauntingly beautiful and the stories heartbreaking, but so worth listening to.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m0005tpt

Lighthouses (Drama)

How do we find our way to happiness again after the worst happens? Composer Jennifer Bell's a-cappella songs are inspired by and threaded through the true stories of two people who've found their way back to the light after losing the loves of their lives.

With specially composed songs by Jennifer Bell. Interviewee Gary Andrews.
The singers are Ellie Showering, Andy Marshall, Harry Humberstone, Katy Tucker, Alice Kirby, Jack Adkins, Molly King and Jennifer Bell.
Additional singing on In A Town by Naomi Johnson, Tenisha Edwards, Luke Nederveen and Romaine Smith.
Gary Andrews' doodles of his life are at @GaryScribbler
Photo credit: Image of Wolf Rock Lighthouse by Colin Perry.

Made in solidarity with all who have felt grief.

Never look down on anyone
Unless you're helping them up
Pages: 1 ... 86 87 [88] 89 90   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: