TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
July 11, 2020, 07:08:47 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 77 78 [79] 80 81   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Listening to.......  (Read 150310 times)
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Bedding down in Bridport for a few months

« Reply #1560 on: July 01, 2020, 10:06:05 AM »

There's some great Richard Lloyd guitar on Matthew Sweet's superlative "Girlfriend" album

If you know of a nice property to rent in 'Mid Wales' (Powys really, possibly Ceredigion/Monmouthshire) for a year from Aug 2020 do please drop me a line.  Many thanks!
wayne stote

« Reply #1561 on: July 01, 2020, 10:20:06 AM »

Been enjoying some Stan Rogers albums - Fogarty's Cove, Turnaround, For The Family - I bought recently. A lot of his tunes have become staples of the folk scene so I thought it might be nice to hear the originals.

Apart from a few songs, which are almost Huw Williams-like in their mawkish sentimentality, it's high quality stuff. He's got a marvellous voice too.
mickf
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Barry, South Wales

« Reply #1562 on: July 01, 2020, 01:15:43 PM »

Spent most of this morning sorting out stuff from the attic. Now relaxing listening to some Gerry Rafferty (City to City) and Audience (House on the Hill)

If I had all the money I've spent on drink, I'd spend it on drink!
Bridgwit (Bridget)
I had a feeling there would be stripping involved
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: South Wales

« Reply #1563 on: July 01, 2020, 03:33:48 PM »

Magic Pie
Mother Turtle
The Enid
Unifaum

I needed a Prog day to clear the mind and body Smiley

Roll Eyes

Never look down on anyone
Unless you're helping them up
RobertD
Holy expletive delighted...
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: New York City

« Reply #1564 on: July 01, 2020, 04:19:34 PM »

Been enjoying some Stan Rogers albums - Fogarty's Cove, Turnaround, For The Family - I bought recently. A lot of his tunes have become staples of the folk scene so I thought it might be nice to hear the originals.

Apart from a few songs, which are almost Huw Williams-like in their mawkish sentimentality, it's high quality stuff. He's got a marvellous voice too.

Stan was wonderful. Fogarty's Cove is a terrific album and 45 years is just a perfect song. I've not heard For The Family before but I"ve heard the label of mawkish sentimentality before on some of his songs. But he flavored his songs with so many real life experiences of Canadian life that I think that was inevitable. I also think that because of his Nova Scotia roots that everyone assumes he was something of a 'maritime' songwriter which ignores incredible songs such as Field Behind The Plow that came from his discussions with Canadians all over the country.

I'm just a little shy of Surf's Up and I'm deeper than Twist and Shout....Iain Matthews
dog-nap (Ian)
Now you've made me peckish

« Reply #1565 on: July 01, 2020, 05:14:12 PM »

Spent most of this morning sorting out stuff from the attic. Now relaxing listening to some Gerry Rafferty (City to City) and Audience (House on the Hill)

Great choices.  I’ve got a real yen to play my Audience albums now.  If only I knew where they were…  

wayne stote

« Reply #1566 on: July 01, 2020, 06:55:34 PM »

Magic Pie
Mother Turtle
The Enid
Unifaum

Roll Eyes

Big fan of The Enid and Magic Pie. Don't know Mother Turtle and Unifaum. Great names though.  Smiley

I'll have look them up!
Bridgwit (Bridget)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1567 on: July 01, 2020, 07:02:01 PM »

Magic Pie
Mother Turtle
The Enid
Unifaum

Roll Eyes

Big fan of The Enid and Magic Pie. Don't know Mother Turtle and Unifaum. Great names though.  Smiley

I'll have look them up!
They are recommendations from another forum. Enjoyed Magic Pie a lot Smiley

wayne stote

« Reply #1568 on: July 01, 2020, 08:21:34 PM »

Magic Pie
Mother Turtle
The Enid
Unifaum

Roll Eyes

I'll have look them up!

Great band. King For A Day is probably my favourite but it's all fab.

You probably know them already buy just in case.... Moon Safari are another fine Scandanavian band, Classic melodic prog with Beach Boys-like harmonies.
Bridgwit (Bridget)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1569 on: July 02, 2020, 09:12:07 AM »

Magic Pie
Mother Turtle
The Enid
Unifaum

Roll Eyes

I'll have look them up!

You probably know them already buy just in case.... Moon Safari are another fine Scandanavian band, Classic melodic prog with Beach Boys-like harmonies.
Ooo I don't know them, Will check them out now!

wayne stote

« Reply #1570 on: July 02, 2020, 10:44:37 AM »

Magic Pie
Mother Turtle
The Enid
Unifaum

Roll Eyes

I'll have look them up!

Ooo I don't know them, Will check them out now!

Hope you enjoy them!
Dan O.
I was the face of 2001
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #1571 on: July 03, 2020, 08:42:21 AM »

First listen to RT's new 6 track EP "Bloody Noses", downloadable (exclusively for now, I believe, could be wrong) from here :

www.richardthompson.bandcamp.com/album/bloody-noses-ep

So far, it lives up to our hero's usual high standards...
Alan2
Other peole know stuff so I don't have to
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1572 on: July 03, 2020, 09:02:29 AM »

Join Mitchell : Shine  ( Universal CD, 2007).

Her last proper album, and it's getting quite old. I still find it quite
quite new and challenging. Its due a vinyl release very soon.
GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #1573 on: July 03, 2020, 10:34:14 AM »

Bonxie - Stornaway

I really miss this band and this is such a lovely album.
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1574 on: July 03, 2020, 10:53:56 AM »

Bonxie - Stornaway

The 'new' live album excitement is growing in Davidmjs Towers.

If you know of a nice property to rent in 'Mid Wales' (Powys really, possibly Ceredigion/Monmouthshire) for a year from Aug 2020 do please drop me a line.  Many thanks!
GubGub (Al)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1575 on: July 03, 2020, 01:52:32 PM »

Bonxie - Stornaway

Yes, I only found out about that this morning and have ordered. I saw them on that tour in Brighton and they were magnificent.
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1576 on: July 03, 2020, 02:11:46 PM »

Bonxie - Stornaway

Yes, I only found out about that this morning and have ordered. I saw them on that tour in Brighton and they were magnificent.

Manchester for us...at the cavernous Academy (the gig was originally on at Academy 3, then Academy 2 then the main barn, and it was sold out).  One of my favourite gigs ever.  Stornoway are very much my other half's band but I've seen them about half a dozen times.  About 4 or 5 months before this, we'd seen them in one of the wich's - Northwich or Middlewich - I forget, er, which, and despite it being fab I'd turned to Sue afterwards and said "they can't keep doing this for diminishing returns" (must have been 120 there?).  I guess they felt the same.  I've also had a good chat with Dr Brian in his current place of work - WWT Llanelli.  Lovely guy.

GubGub (Al)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1577 on: July 03, 2020, 04:26:26 PM »

Bonxie - Stornaway

Manchester for us...at the cavernous Academy (the gig was originally on at Academy 3, then Academy 2 then the main barn, and it was sold out).  One of my favourite gigs ever.  Stornoway are very much my other half's band but I've seen them about half a dozen times.  About 4 or 5 months before this, we'd seen them in one of the wich's - Northwich or Middlewich - I forget, er, which, and despite it being fab I'd turned to Sue afterwards and said "they can't keep doing this for diminishing returns" (must have been 120 there?).  I guess they felt the same.  I've also had a good chat with Dr Brian in his current place of work - WWT Llanelli.  Lovely guy.

I only had the pleasure of seeing them twice, early and late in their career. The first time was at The Big Session Festival in Leicester just after Beachcomber's Windowsill was released. Both gigs were terrific though. I wish Brian would make some new music, even if it was just solo acoustic stuff. He is too good a songwriter to just disappear.

I am now listening to Gary Clark's music for Modern Love which is bringing me great joy. The song Human Love is pure Danny Wilson.
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1578 on: July 03, 2020, 04:33:08 PM »

I wish Brian would make some new music, even if it was just solo acoustic stuff. He is too good a songwriter to just disappear.

When I spoke to him (he's almost painfully shy and modest) in Llanelli (in his full chief warden outfit) he said he did make music but just for himself these days...but wasn't ruling out releasing more.  I presume you know this? These shows were fantastic too...I saw a couple.  https://theglassaisle.bandcamp.com/releases

Col D

Loc: South Cheshire

« Reply #1579 on: July 03, 2020, 05:34:48 PM »

That would have been Nantwich David, my home town incidentally, at the annual Words and Music Festival, we chatted at the end. In fairness 120 was the capacity of the venue and it was sold out. Something that Nigel, Thea and Fluff manage to pull off every year is getting in bands for the festival who are happy to play in much smaller venues than they're used to and still being able to make it pay without resorting to jacking up ticket prices. From the band's perspective it was a trimmed-down acoustic show and something of a one-off.

I've not got such good memories of the Academy gig as you though. Nothing to do with the band but we ended up behind a group who were hoovering up the pharmaceuticals at an alarming rate, totally off their heads, talked all the way through and behaved like complete tw**s. It was so packed it wasn't possible to move, it was like trying to watch a gig from in the middle of someone else's party. Never been a fan of the place but have still seen some wonderful gigs there over the years but that took the edge off that one for us.
Pages: 1 ... 77 78 [79] 80 81   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: