TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
May 26, 2020, 06:49:29 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 67 68 [69] 70   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Listening to.......  (Read 118351 times)
RobertD
Holy expletive delighted...
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: New York City

« Reply #1360 on: May 22, 2020, 11:02:14 PM »

I think it is fair to say that tthe music that has given me the most pleasure so far this year has been The Staple Singers. I knew and loved their hits and have had a best of compilation for some time but the release of the vinyl box set of their Stax albums prompted me to dig deeper. After buying that set I bought two of their later albums, the Curtis Mayfield produced Let's Do It Again and Turning Point on which they cover Talking Heads.

Now I have picked up and am listening to For What Its Worth, a three CD set containing all six of the albums they recorded for Epic from 1965 - 1968. Great stuff.

Very much with you on The Staple Singers for the same reasons. Tempted to get that vinyl box, but my purchase late last year of the 4 disc Faith & Grace with bonus 45 vinyl single has whetted my appetite for more. Side note of interest, my friend Saundra who was singing backup vocals for the late great Sharon Jones had been singing with Mavis before all this went down. Hope when life resumes I can see them both.

This afternoon has been the start of what I anticipate to be a long night of vinyl. I started off with Seu Jorge's double set of Carolina. Bright, Breezy, Brazilian grooves. I've now diverted across the water....not to the UK, but to Hoboken, NJ, home of Yo La Tengo and The Feelies. I wasn't quite old enough for the first wave of the Hoboken scene, but subsequently caught the later stages. But I don't remember much of it.... Wink

I'm just a little shy of Surf's Up and I'm deeper than Twist and Shout....Iain Matthews
wayne stote

« Reply #1361 on: May 22, 2020, 11:10:01 PM »

I've just sent for The Rockaplast set. Under fifteen quid. Bargain!

I'm going to stay positive and be hopeful that I'll get to actually see them in concert some time in the not too distant future! †Smiley

Excellent. †That is a bargain...I think I paid nearly twice that. †Fingers crossed. †Do check out BWP...their (currently) only album is wonderful. †I think (sadly for SE&L) that is where most of his energies are going these days, but we will see.

Many thanks for the advice.

Just had a listen to a couple of BWP tracks, Again, very strong. Reminded me a bit of The Storys. Album now on its way!
Andy
Brain half the size of a planet
Global Moderator

Loc: South West Wales

Not Perfect. Never Claimed To Be.

« Reply #1362 on: May 22, 2020, 11:29:53 PM »

Late night photo-editing and I have King Crimson's Red on the headphones.

Love it.

* folder.jpg (78.77 KB, 1280x720 - viewed 214 times.)

See this album  for a selection of my photos from 2010-2019.
Alan2
Other peole know stuff so I don't have to
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1363 on: May 23, 2020, 09:09:38 AM »

Bridget st John:  Ask Me No Questions (Trading Places LP, 2019).
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Bedding down in Bridport for a few months

« Reply #1364 on: May 23, 2020, 09:53:10 AM »

Love it.

There are many fine King Crimson albums but I think Red defines the very essence of what they were/are about.  The Road to Red box set is well worth the dosh...

Once in a while, you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right...
bassline (Mike)
the Spens is mightier with the Swarb
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Wolverhampton

« Reply #1365 on: May 23, 2020, 10:21:58 AM »

Love Over and Over by Kate & Anna McGarrigle.

The title track was played a lot by Wogan back in the day, and I was quite taken with it - little knowing that this was yet another record I heard a lot around that time that had branches of the Fairport family tree on it. Mind you, I had no idea who Fairport was either, so what the heck. I have bought the Hannibal re-issue and it's very enjoyable, even the Bob Seger song in French.  Smiley

I have the self titled album to come next.

Well I never did..
Andy
Brain half the size of a planet
Global Moderator

Loc: South West Wales

Not Perfect. Never Claimed To Be.

« Reply #1366 on: May 23, 2020, 11:52:52 AM »

Love it.

There are many fine King Crimson albums but I think Red defines the very essence of what they were/are about.  The Road to Red box set is well worth the dosh...
That's 21 CDs! £130 is well beyond my budget.

See this album  for a selection of my photos from 2010-2019.
wayne stote

« Reply #1367 on: May 23, 2020, 12:02:18 PM »

Love it.

I'm a big fan of John Wetton but I've never heard Red. Must remedy that at some point.
mickf
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Barry, South Wales

« Reply #1368 on: May 23, 2020, 01:29:10 PM »

I've been listening to some of my 'alternative favourite albums'. These are ones that I enjoy and put away until the mood takes me. They're not ones that I immediately think of as being my faves, but they are worth a listen every now and then...

UB40 - Signing Off, Stranglers - Rattus Norvegicus, Graham Parker and the Rumour - Stick to Me, The Jam - All Mod Cons, The Beat - Whappen, Squeeze - Babylon and On, Undertones - 1st Album and TRB - Power in the Darkness. A nice stroll down memory lane.

If I had all the money I've spent on drink, I'd spend it on drink!
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1369 on: May 23, 2020, 02:15:57 PM »

I've been listening to some of my 'alternative favourite albums'. These are ones that I enjoy and put away until the mood takes me. They're not ones that I immediately think of as being my faves, but they are worth a listen every now and then...

UB40 - Signing Off, Stranglers - Rattus Norvegicus, Graham Parker and the Rumour - Stick to Me, The Jam - All Mod Cons, The Beat - Whappen, Squeeze - Babylon and On, Undertones - 1st Album and TRB - Power in the Darkness. A nice stroll down memory lane.

And all '77-81 (with an outlier from, what, '87?).  I contend you may be fairly easy to age...  Wink Grin

Once in a while, you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right...
GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #1370 on: May 23, 2020, 05:24:32 PM »

I'll take all those apart from UB40. Power In The Darkness may be in my top 10 all time. Of course there are about a hundred albums in my top 10 all time.
RobertD
Holy expletive delighted...
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: New York City

« Reply #1371 on: May 23, 2020, 08:19:17 PM »

Love Over and Over by Kate & Anna McGarrigle.

The title track was played a lot by Wogan back in the day, and I was quite taken with it - little knowing that this was yet another record I heard a lot around that time that had branches of the Fairport family tree on it. Mind you, I had no idea who Fairport was either, so what the heck. I have bought the Hannibal re-issue and it's very enjoyable, even the Bob Seger song in French. †Smiley

I have the self titled album to come next.

I had no idea about the Bob Seger cover, but I just heard it now. Seger covers are actually pretty rare outside of bar bands doing the inevitable covers. Thin Lizzy was lucky they nicked Rosalie when they did since that album was long since deleted!

I'm just a little shy of Surf's Up and I'm deeper than Twist and Shout....Iain Matthews
DarrenWilliams

Loc: St Helens

« Reply #1372 on: May 23, 2020, 10:36:55 PM »

Listening to Ashley Hutchings' Paradise and Thorns and Gone Missing, companion albums to By Gloucester Docks... today while wfh.

Received both of these today. I really like Gloucester Docks apart from a couple of the rockier tracks which I find a bit 'clunky,'. I knew that Paradise snd Thorns combines some older tracks with newly recorded material  but it flows quite well. Not got round to the extra CDs yet. Impressed so far.
Nick Reg
The Dreaded
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: NEWCASTLE, STAFFS

Merry Hell are coming

« Reply #1373 on: May 24, 2020, 08:55:30 AM »

I'll take all those apart from UB40. Power In The Darkness may be in my top 10 all time. Of course there are about a hundred albums in my top 10 all time.

I'd take all of them. The early UB 40 albums were great but they were just so dull at Cropredy.

There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1374 on: May 24, 2020, 12:56:00 PM »

I'd take all of them. The early UB 40 albums were great but they were just so dull at Cropredy.

I never took to them, despite the politics which chimed with mine.  Only time I saw them was supporting Dylan at Wembley '84.  Despite being very sunny, I wasn't moved at all.  Prefer their Dad's music tbh.  I love loads of reggae, but I've always found UB40 so lightweight and sacharine...like 3rd rate lovers rock...

quodlibet (Ian)
Squeeze it, Eliseao
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Hereford. UK

Omnia ti bi felicia

« Reply #1375 on: May 24, 2020, 01:06:25 PM »

I never took to them, despite the politics which chimed with mine. †Only time I saw them was supporting Dylan at Wembley '84. †Despite being very sunny, I wasn't moved at all. †Prefer their Dad's music tbh. †I love loads of reggae, but I've always found UB40 so lightweight and sacharine...like 3rd rate lovers rock...

I saw them in Shrewsbury in 1979 & thought they were stunning. "Signing Off" was ok, apart from "Madam Medusa" which was fab. Since then they never failed to disappoint (especially at Cropredy).  Sad

A Brittunculus is not such a bad thing to be.
Nick Reg
The Dreaded
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: NEWCASTLE, STAFFS

Merry Hell are coming

« Reply #1376 on: May 24, 2020, 01:34:30 PM »

I never took to them, despite the politics which chimed with mine. †Only time I saw them was supporting Dylan at Wembley '84. †Despite being very sunny, I wasn't moved at all. †Prefer their Dad's music tbh. †I love loads of reggae, but I've always found UB40 so lightweight and sacharine...like 3rd rate lovers rock...

I saw them in Shrewsbury in 1979 & thought they were stunning. "Signing Off" was ok, apart from "Madam Medusa" which was fab. Since then they never failed to disappoint (especially at Cropredy). †Sad

The drab blue lighting (reminiscent of the equally boring Unthanks) didn't help , neither did the very uncharismatic new singer.

There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets
GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #1377 on: May 24, 2020, 06:58:58 PM »

I never took to them, despite the politics which chimed with mine. †Only time I saw them was supporting Dylan at Wembley '84. †Despite being very sunny, I wasn't moved at all.

Yep I was there too and felt the same way. I have rarely been so bored at a live show. Dylan was fantastic that night and redeemed the preceding four tiresome hours of UB40 & Santana. I had looked forward to the latter but they didn't do anything for me that day.
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1378 on: May 24, 2020, 07:30:51 PM »

I never took to them, despite the politics which chimed with mine. †Only time I saw them was supporting Dylan at Wembley '84. †Despite being very sunny, I wasn't moved at all.

Yep I was there too and felt the same way. I have rarely been so bored at a live show. Dylan was fantastic that night and redeemed the preceding four tiresome hours of UB40 & Santana. I had looked forward to the latter but they didn't do anything for me that day.

I'd seen Santana at the RAH the year before I think and really enjoyed them, but I too thought they were pretty dull that day.

mickf
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Barry, South Wales

« Reply #1379 on: May 24, 2020, 08:40:57 PM »

And all '77-81 (with an outlier from, what, '87?). †I contend you may be fairly easy to age... †Wink Grin

I'm 64, if that's the age you thought of Grin Regarding the comments about UB40.. I loved their first album 'Signing Off' and also 'Present Arms'. After that they quickly became more and more mundane IMHO

If I had all the money I've spent on drink, I'd spend it on drink!
Pages: 1 ... 67 68 [69] 70   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: