TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
May 26, 2020, 06:09:06 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 66 67 [68] 69 70   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Listening to.......  (Read 118343 times)
GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #1340 on: May 21, 2020, 11:05:32 AM »

Flying The Wrong Way - The Wooden Faces. Cassette. Yes the cassette has arrived at last. My first cassette for more than 30 years.

You going to play the cassette, or just listen to the download?

I have played the cassette. They are completely different recordings. The cassette is a totally analog recording and mix. The download is a totally digital recording and mix. The same performances were fed through two separate sets of recording equipment (tape & computer) simultaneously so there is a compare and contrast thing going on.

That sounds intriguing...I'll check them out.

Musically it is enjoyable but not I think amongst Dan Donnelly's best work.

American Graffiti - Original Soundtrack. I watched the movie for the umpteenth time at the weekend but for some reason I have never previously purchased the soundtrack album. I have now put that right.

One of my all-time favourite films although most of friends canít understand why! Will have to dig out my vinyl double album soundtrack again and watch the film yet again †Grin. Thanks for reminding me †Wink

Fabulous movie and soundtrack. Odd that a film can make you nostalgic for an era that you never experienced in the first place, but it does. I don't have that soundtrack album either, but I do have the More American Graffiti one. I've not seen the sequel film, though.

I've never seen the sequel either and the soundtrack has never been issued on CD. It is an interesting track selection. I'd like to hear it.
Bingers (Chris)
Day saved by donated doughnuts
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Essex

Trying to be young!

« Reply #1341 on: May 21, 2020, 11:24:08 AM »

American Graffiti - Original Soundtrack. I watched the movie for the umpteenth time at the weekend but for some reason I have never previously purchased the soundtrack album. I have now put that right.

One of my all-time favourite films although most of friends canít understand why! Will have to dig out my vinyl double album soundtrack again and watch the film yet again †Grin. Thanks for reminding me †Wink

Fabulous movie and soundtrack. Odd that a film can make you nostalgic for an era that you never experienced in the first place, but it does. I don't have that soundtrack album either, but I do have the More American Graffiti one. I've not seen the sequel film, though.

Didnít even know that there was a sequel  Shocked but it can nowhere match the brilliance (to me!) of the original. Also recently watched Still Crazy and re-listened to the soundtrack (recently rediscovered in my CD collection)...another excellent film and the music wasnít bad either  Grin

Born to Run (but not very fast)
mickf
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Barry, South Wales

« Reply #1342 on: May 21, 2020, 01:44:03 PM »

Didnít even know that there was a sequel †Shocked but it can nowhere match the brilliance (to me!) of the original. Also recently watched Still Crazy and re-listened to the soundtrack (recently rediscovered in my CD collection)...another excellent film and the music wasnít bad either †Grin

Great film and, as you say, decent music.

If I had all the money I've spent on drink, I'd spend it on drink!
Malcolm
crazily brandishing my swat
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: The Mosel Valley

« Reply #1343 on: May 21, 2020, 02:14:17 PM »

The police car having its back axle torn off has to be the high point in that film Grin

Also "Who cut the cheese?"
GubGub (Al)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1344 on: May 21, 2020, 03:14:45 PM »

A rare outbreak of peace and quiet from the neighbours has enabled me to sit in the garden in the sunshine listening to:

Nearly Really - Neil Innes
Journeys From Gospel Oak - Ian Matthews
Another Shade of - Smith & Brewer

which is not at all unpleasant.
ColinB
a better way to put it
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Lancaster

« Reply #1345 on: May 21, 2020, 03:41:57 PM »

Katie Spencer - Weather Beaten

She was doing an online gig yesterday evening which ended just as Kris Drever was about to start his. Sadly the stream kept cutting out during his set which was a shame as he was playing some new songs which sounded pretty good. No problems during Katie's set.

Listen to my Off The Beaten Tracks radio shows on Mixcloud
https://www.mixcloud.com/cmbertram/
Will S
A twinset of librarians
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: near Aldbrickham, in the Royal County

« Reply #1346 on: May 21, 2020, 03:51:56 PM »

Listening to Ashley Hutchings' Paradise and Thorns and Gone Missing, companion albums to By Gloucester Docks... today while wfh.

All the diamonds in the world
That mean anything to me,
Are conjured up by wind and sunlight
Sparkling on the sea
(Bruce Cockburn)
Alan2
Other peole know stuff so I don't have to
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1347 on: May 21, 2020, 03:58:07 PM »

Listening to Ashley Hutchings' Paradise and Thorns and Gone Missing, companion albums to By Gloucester Docks... today while wfh.

That's interesting. †In what way are they companion albums? I like By Gloucester Docks but don't know a lot of AH.
Will S
A twinset of librarians
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1348 on: May 22, 2020, 12:41:56 PM »

That's interesting. †In what way are they companion albums? I like By Gloucester Docks but don't know a lot of AH.

Paradise and Thorns is a double album - the first half of which is a kind of follow-up and updating of the story of the love affair related in Gloucester Docks, and the second half is more general musings and songs/readings on the theme of being in love.  This is an interesting interview with Ashley about the album here: https://www.spiralearth.co.uk/through-gloucester-streets-interview-with-ashley-hutchings/.

Gone Missing is described as a companion album 'including influences, out-takes and rarities'.  

I'd say the first is more of a 'must-have' for those who like his music, and especially Gloucester Docks, and the second is less so, but it is still interesting.

Sparkling on the sea
(Bruce Cockburn)
wayne stote

« Reply #1349 on: May 22, 2020, 01:18:10 PM »

On a whim, I recently bought two mid Seventies albums by a band that are likely to be well known to all on this board but had passed me by completely, Starry Eyed and Laughing. They are terrific. Like a British version of The Byrds.

Also been enjoying After The Fire's debut album. As suggested by GubGub, it's much proggier than you'd expect if you'd only heard a few of their later singles, with some seriously epic sounding tracks. The CD came with three excellent bonus tracks and a demo version of Back to The Light. Fine package, all round,
Will S
A twinset of librarians
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1350 on: May 22, 2020, 02:53:26 PM »

Gone back to the 80s today for my listening.  Started with Any Trouble Girls Are Always Right, which is the best of the first couple of Stiff albums, and a couple of live tracks, then moved on to The Best of Blondie and now I'm listening to Cutting Crew's Broadcast.

Sparkling on the sea
(Bruce Cockburn)
GubGub (Al)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1351 on: May 22, 2020, 02:59:39 PM »

I think it is fair to say that tthe music that has given me the most pleasure so far this year has been The Staple Singers. I knew and loved their hits and have had a best of compilation for some time but the release of the vinyl box set of their Stax albums prompted me to dig deeper. After buying that set I bought two of their later albums, the Curtis Mayfield produced Let's Do It Again and Turning Point on which they cover Talking Heads.

Now I have picked up and am listening to For What Its Worth, a three CD set containing all six of the albums they recorded for Epic from 1965 - 1968. Great stuff.
Alan2
Other peole know stuff so I don't have to
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1352 on: May 22, 2020, 03:26:19 PM »

Paradise and Thorns is a double album - the first half of which is a kind of follow-up and updating of the story of the love affair related in Gloucester Docks, and the second half is more general musings and songs/readings on the theme of being in love. †This is an interesting interview with Ashley about the album here: https://www.spiralearth.co.uk/through-gloucester-streets-interview-with-ashley-hutchings/.

Gone Missing is described as a companion album 'including influences, out-takes and rarities'. †

I'd say the first is more of a 'must-have' for those who like his music, and especially Gloucester Docks, and the second is less so, but it is still interesting.

Thanks Will. Another one on my list then.
Will S
A twinset of librarians
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1353 on: May 22, 2020, 03:27:38 PM »

Paradise and Thorns is a double album - the first half of which is a kind of follow-up and updating of the story of the love affair related in Gloucester Docks, and the second half is more general musings and songs/readings on the theme of being in love. †This is an interesting interview with Ashley about the album here: https://www.spiralearth.co.uk/through-gloucester-streets-interview-with-ashley-hutchings/.

Gone Missing is described as a companion album 'including influences, out-takes and rarities'. †

Sorry!  Wink

Sparkling on the sea
(Bruce Cockburn)
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Bedding down in Bridport for a few months

« Reply #1354 on: May 22, 2020, 03:32:53 PM »

Just for the record, and oddly, Paradise and Thorns is on Spotify (as is By Gloucester Docks) but Gone Missing isn't....

Sorry! †Wink

Once in a while, you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right...
Col D

Loc: South Cheshire

« Reply #1355 on: May 22, 2020, 05:00:26 PM »

On a whim, I recently bought two mid Seventies albums by a band that are likely to be well known to all on this board but had passed me by completely, Starry Eyed and Laughing. They are terrific. Like a British version of The Byrds.

There are also two CDs of outtakes and radio sessions available from Tony Poole at their website - both highly recommended - and if that's not enough there's also the Live at Rockpalast 1976 2CD/1DVD set.

http://www.starryeyedandlaughing.com/

Tony Poole and Iain Whitmore still occasionally play together as SE&L, there's a new album in the planning stages. Ross McGeeney seems to have disappeared without trace and drummer Michael Wackford died a few years back, so most likely they'll enlist the help of some of the other guys from Bennett Wilson Poole.
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1356 on: May 22, 2020, 06:02:51 PM »

There are also two CDs of outtakes and radio sessions available from Tony Poole at their website - both highly recommended - and if that's not enough there's also the Live at Rockpalast 1976 2CD/1DVD set.

Tony Poole and Iain Whitmore still occasionally play together as SE&L, there's a new album in the planning stages. Ross McGeeney seems to have disappeared without trace and drummer Michael Wackford died a few years back, so most likely they'll enlist the help of some of the other guys from Bennett Wilson Poole.

Tony Poole is a national treasure and should be cherished while we can.  About 18 months ago I saw Tony and Iain do a SE&L duo set on the same bill as BWP in Launceston.  Twas brilliant.  The Rockpalast set is one of my most played purchases of the last year or so...although strangely I've not watched the DVD yet.  Welcome aboard  Smiley

Once in a while, you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right...
wayne stote

« Reply #1357 on: May 22, 2020, 06:06:53 PM »

That's a lot of excellent info. Thanks very much! I'm really taken by this band so it's great to know there's more out there to explore.

A new album sounds intriguing!

wayne stote

« Reply #1358 on: May 22, 2020, 06:35:47 PM »

Tony Poole is a national treasure and should be cherished while we can. †About 18 months ago I saw Tony and Iain do a SE&L duo set on the same bill as BWP in Launceston. †Twas brilliant. †The Rockpalast set is one of my most played purchases of the last year or so...although strangely I've not watched the DVD yet. †Welcome aboard †Smiley

I've just sent for The Rockaplast set. Under fifteen quid. Bargain!

I'm going to stay positive and be hopeful that I'll get to actually see them in concert some time in the not too distant future!  Smiley
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1359 on: May 22, 2020, 07:09:16 PM »

I've just sent for The Rockaplast set. Under fifteen quid. Bargain!

I'm going to stay positive and be hopeful that I'll get to actually see them in concert some time in the not too distant future! †Smiley

Excellent.  That is a bargain...I think I paid nearly twice that.  Fingers crossed.  Do check out BWP...their (currently) only album is wonderful.  I think (sadly for SE&L) that is where most of his energies are going these days, but we will see.

Pages: 1 ... 66 67 [68] 69 70   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: