TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
February 25, 2020, 06:22:31 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 45 46 [47] 48 49 ... 54   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Listening to.......  (Read 79796 times)
RobertD
Holy expletive delighted...
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: New York City

« Reply #920 on: January 16, 2020, 08:36:47 PM »

Robbie Robertson's self-titled solo album.  Bought this when it came out, and don't listen to it that often these days.  But every time I do, I wonder why not.

I have it on vinyl and think the same thing actually. Really good album

I'm just a little shy of Surf's Up and I'm deeper than Twist and Shout....Iain Matthews
bassline (Mike)
the Spens is mightier with the Swarb
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Wolverhampton

« Reply #921 on: January 16, 2020, 09:31:17 PM »

I've never heard it, but Somewhere Down the Crazy River is one of those songs that sends me somewhere that is a great place to be all these years later.

Well I never did..
Jules Gray
Go on, groove my truffles
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Cheltenham

What makes the buzzard buzz?

« Reply #922 on: January 16, 2020, 11:46:00 PM »

I've never heard it, but Somewhere Down the Crazy River is one of those songs that sends me somewhere that is a great place to be all these years later.

That's pretty powerful if a song you've never heard can do that!   Wink

Jules

Now be thankful for good things below
bassline (Mike)
the Spens is mightier with the Swarb
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Wolverhampton

« Reply #923 on: January 17, 2020, 05:51:52 AM »

That's pretty powerful if a song you've never heard can do that!   Wink

Jules

Hahhahaha !  Grin Yes. True. But now I've gone and spoiled it all by doing something stupid like buying the album. So we shall see.

Well I never did..
Bingers (Chris)
Day saved by donated doughnuts
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Essex

Trying to be young!

« Reply #924 on: January 17, 2020, 08:18:21 AM »

Robbie Robertson's self-titled solo album.  Bought this when it came out, and don't listen to it that often these days.  But every time I do, I wonder why not.

I have it on vinyl and think the same thing actually. Really good album

Amazing album but, a bit like you, the vinyl has lain dormant for too many years. Thanks for reminding me to dig it out and give it another listen

Born to Run (but not very fast)
Alan2
Other peole know stuff so I don't have to
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #925 on: January 17, 2020, 09:22:37 AM »

Incredible String Band elektra period albums.
GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #926 on: January 17, 2020, 11:50:32 PM »

In the midst of an already difficult time documented elsewhere, I was especially saddened by the unexpected passing of Neil Innes. It hit me harder than the loss of any musician certainly since Tom Petty, maybe since George Harrison. Innes was one of the foundations of my musical life for more than 40 years, a brilliant melodicist and lyricist and so much more than a purveyor of comic songs.

Today I took delivery of his final album Nearly Really (for which I took part in the ill fated Pledge Music funding campaign). On a day when I have actually had some time for myself it has been a joy to listen to this beautifully recorded, new batch of strong songs, even if Neil's voice is not quite as strong as it used to be, and think about Neil and how much pleasure he has given me for a very long time. There are a couple of songs that deal directly with mortality and they inevitably now seem particularly poignant.
Alan2
Other peole know stuff so I don't have to
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #927 on: January 18, 2020, 08:44:33 AM »

Not sure if it belongs on this thread but I was lifted on a low day by  a youtube clip of Fairport doing 'Matthew, Mark, Luke and John' on the Whistle Test in I think 1972. This is probably very familiar to Talkawhilers but I dont find time or circumstances to listen to much YouTube stuff.The quality of their playing and singing was excellent and it was great to see them all looking so young. The only sad thing of course was the absence of Sandy from the group at that point.
Jim G
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Bridport ,Dorset

« Reply #928 on: January 20, 2020, 04:47:01 PM »

I have been listening to the fabulous Whelk Song on 78rpm ( Lyrics…If you don't want the whelks don't muck `em abaht ). It arrived in the post this morning from Ebay (£2.50 with £1,000 postage type of thing) .

I have been after a copy for ages, but was hoping to get the Billy Cotton Version,  but ended up finding this version by Jack Simpson And His Sextet ,which turns out to be brilliant.

There is a rather nice version on Youtube by a chap called Roger Cavendish http:// https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7HrRysZrFoE which bizarrely includes 2 minutes and 30 seconds of silence and a black screen.
GubGub (Al)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #929 on: January 22, 2020, 11:34:51 AM »

And the winner of the first brand new album in my collection for 2020 is...

One Year - Clive Gregson

Clive is releasing one album per month for the whole of 2020 ahead of, sadly, retiring from solo touring. I have been a fan for nearly forty years. Nevertheless, I might struggle to find 12 CDs worth of completely essential material from his career to date so I hope he know what he is doing, putting out 12 discs of new work in as many months. One Year is the first, a song cycle about each month of the year. Too early to judge on a single listen but initial impression is that is like many of his latterday records with some obviously strong songs and some which are less memorable. It needs time to bed into my consciousness but will there be sufficient opportunity before the next album comes along?
Nick Reg
The Dreaded
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: NEWCASTLE, STAFFS

Merry Hell are coming

« Reply #930 on: January 22, 2020, 01:03:10 PM »

And the winner of the first brand new album in my collection for 2020 is...

One Year - Clive Gregson

Clive is releasing one album per month for the whole of 2020 ahead of, sadly, retiring from solo touring. I have been a fan for nearly forty years. Nevertheless, I might struggle to find 12 CDs worth of completely essential material from his career to date so I hope he know what he is doing, putting out 12 discs of new work in as many months. One Year is the first, a song cycle about each month of the year. Too early to judge on a single listen but initial impression is that is like many of his latterday records with some obviously strong songs and some which are less memorable. It needs time to bed into my consciousness but will there be sufficient opportunity before the next album comes along?

Love Clive, fabulously underrated guitarist . Seen him many many times acoustic but only once properly electric and that was epic - a two and a half hours worth of the G and C Band where they ran out of songs and started on Creedence! The support was G and C acoustic ! Don't think he ever bettered the Gregson and Collister performances although I fondly remember a trio performance with Boo and Andy(?) Peters of EBTG, and a duet with Kim Richey after they'd both played solo sets.

There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets
Jim
Klaatu barada nikto
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: manchester

Here To Help

« Reply #931 on: January 22, 2020, 02:42:30 PM »

the clash, a proper rock band.

The Dude abides
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Caer

« Reply #932 on: January 22, 2020, 02:45:34 PM »

They were, but (I think) a massively overrated one.  Half a C90 of outstanding material and more stodgy filler than it's possible to imagine.  

And how's this for revisionist nonsense (which I actually believe)?  Cut the Cr@p is better than Sandinista....  Wink Grin

Once in a while, you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right...
GubGub (Al)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #933 on: January 22, 2020, 02:54:02 PM »

They were, but (I think) a massively overrated one.  Half a C90 of outstanding material and more stodgy filler than it's possible to imagine.  

And how's this for revisionist nonsense (which I actually believe)?  Cut the Cr@p is better than Sandinista....  Wink Grin

Oh David. I've always had such respect for you. Until now!  Grin

The debut album is half a C90 on its own. London Calling is one of the greatest albums of all time. Sandinista is a curate's egg but a fascinating one. Cut The **** is a stain with a single saving grace.
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Caer

« Reply #934 on: January 22, 2020, 04:17:06 PM »

Oh David. I've always had such respect for you. Until now!  Grin

The debut album is half a C90 on its own. London Calling is one of the greatest albums of all time. Sandinista is a curate's egg but a fascinating one. Cut The **** is a stain with a single saving grace.

I saw them on that final tour - 'quite enjoyed' it to be honest.  But really, overall, they are so much less than the sum of their parts...  Just massively overrated.

Once in a while, you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right...
Will S
A twinset of librarians
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: near Aldbrickham, in the Royal County

« Reply #935 on: January 22, 2020, 04:25:02 PM »

Said The Maiden Here's A Health.  Includes their version of Quiet Joys of Brotherhood, which Swarb asked them to learn when they played with him a few years back.

All the diamonds in the world
That mean anything to me,
Are conjured up by wind and sunlight
Sparkling on the sea
(Bruce Cockburn)
RobertD
Holy expletive delighted...
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: New York City

« Reply #936 on: January 22, 2020, 08:57:57 PM »

Out of all the bands one could accuse of being overrated, I never thought I'd see The Clash on the list. I don't love everything, and I think Al has it right, but I think there is way more good than bad. To each their own as they say.

The last few days I have dusted off the relatively small portion of Italian music I own, as I leave for a short trip to Rome with my lady tomorrow night. Very excited for the trip, and how wonderful it is to hear some of this music again. I came across all of these when I worked at Tower Records in another life. There is a great folk meets electronica CD called Casa Italia I'd recommend highly, and one of my favorite singers from Italy is Lucilla Galeazzi from Umbria. Fantastic voice.

I'm just a little shy of Surf's Up and I'm deeper than Twist and Shout....Iain Matthews
Jules Gray
Go on, groove my truffles
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Cheltenham

What makes the buzzard buzz?

« Reply #937 on: January 23, 2020, 09:08:48 AM »

Away with you!

Sandinista! is my favourite Clash album.

Jules

Now be thankful for good things below
Bridgwit (Bridget)
I had a feeling there would be stripping involved
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: South Wales

« Reply #938 on: January 23, 2020, 09:27:38 AM »

Monty Python, whatever I can get my hands on off YouTube

I predict a long wander down memory lane.....  Smiley

Here's a great one to sing along to    https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2hwqky

Confusion will be my epitaph
Will S
A twinset of librarians
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: near Aldbrickham, in the Royal County

« Reply #939 on: January 23, 2020, 09:37:51 AM »

The Unthanks Mount The Air, which I have finally laid my ears on.  After a first listen, I'd say it is the best thing of theirs I have heard!

All the diamonds in the world
That mean anything to me,
Are conjured up by wind and sunlight
Sparkling on the sea
(Bruce Cockburn)
Pages: 1 ... 45 46 [47] 48 49 ... 54   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: