TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
January 23, 2020, 06:19:48 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 44 45 [46] 47   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Listening to.......  (Read 69377 times)
Alan2
Other peole know stuff so I don't have to
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #900 on: January 13, 2020, 09:42:20 AM »

Ashley Hutchings All Stars : As you Like it  (Talking Elephant CD).
GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #901 on: January 13, 2020, 10:07:37 AM »

XX - Great Big Sea

I miss this band.
Shane (Skirky)
Simply looking at your dogtags
Global Moderator

« Reply #902 on: January 13, 2020, 11:55:48 AM »

A thoroughly enjoyable online folk radio show - and I’m not saying that just because I’m on it. FC, Nick Drake, Eliza Carthy, John Martyn, Jon Boden and a cast of hitherto (to me) unknown talents that I’ll definitely be investigating further. Lots of music, very little blather. https://www.mixcloud.com/ianfreedman18/the-readifolk-radio-show/

Just found out the wasp I killed yesterday was a wasp cop who was too old for this s**t and only one week away from retirement. Feel awful.
RobertD
Holy expletive delighted...
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: New York City

« Reply #903 on: January 13, 2020, 03:01:37 PM »

XX - Great Big Sea

I miss this band.

I do too. Was listening to Turn and the Hard & The Easy the other day while flying back from Toronto.  Check out some of Alan Doyle's post GBS albums. Not quite the same, but the energy is still there. Sean McCann has a few solo works too but I have never really shined  towards his solo work to be honest.

I'm just a little shy of Surf's Up and I'm deeper than Twist and Shout....Iain Matthews
wayne stote

« Reply #904 on: January 13, 2020, 03:12:50 PM »

XX - Great Big Sea

I miss this band.

Me too.

XX is a nice retrospective but it could have done with a few more Sean McCann songs though. Having said that, there's not much I would want to take off so maybe a third was needed!

I was lucky enough to see them in concert, back in the Nineties, upstairs in a pub in South London. It felt like they'd crammed the entire population of Newfoundland into the room! One of the most memorable concerts of my life thus far.

Alan Doyle is making some fine solo work. The most recent album, A Week In The Warehouse, from 2017, is outstanding.
wayne stote

« Reply #905 on: January 13, 2020, 03:15:17 PM »

XX - Great Big Sea

I miss this band.

I do too. Was listening to Turn and the Hard & The Easy the other day while flying back from Toronto.  Check out some of Alan Doyle's post GBS albums. Not quite the same, but the energy is still there. Sean McCann has a few solo works too but I have never really shined  towards his solo work to be honest.

Sean seems to be a troubled man, sadly. He albums are well written and played but like you, I'm finding them hard to love
RobertD
Holy expletive delighted...
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: New York City

« Reply #906 on: January 13, 2020, 03:22:47 PM »

XX - Great Big Sea

I miss this band.

Sean seems to be a troubled man, sadly. He albums are well written and played but like you, I'm finding them hard to love

Well put. I'm happy he has found a path through his pain, but it just seems 'off' to me personally.  He also seemed unnecessarily contentious with his ex-bandmates awhile back and it left a bad taste in my mouth. I have seen on Twitter though that things seem a little friendlier between them of late though.

I'm just a little shy of Surf's Up and I'm deeper than Twist and Shout....Iain Matthews
wayne stote

« Reply #907 on: January 13, 2020, 03:45:28 PM »

XX - Great Big Sea

I miss this band.

Well put. I'm happy he has found a path through his pain, but it just seems 'off' to me personally.  He also seemed unnecessarily contentious with his ex-bandmates awhile back and it left a bad taste in my mouth. I have seen on Twitter though that things seem a little friendlier between them of late though.

That's good to know. I'd heard things had become frosty.

While I still don't expect a Great Big Sea reunion any time soon, it's nice to think that fences are being mended.
Will S
A twinset of librarians
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: near Aldbrickham, in the Royal County

« Reply #908 on: January 13, 2020, 04:31:06 PM »

Rush 2112 and Permanent Waves on my journey to Germany today.

All the diamonds in the world
That mean anything to me,
Are conjured up by wind and sunlight
Sparkling on the sea
(Bruce Cockburn)
blagden
Money for
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: South God's Own Country

I am a rebel - whilst ever my wife will let me be!

« Reply #909 on: January 13, 2020, 08:59:20 PM »

Harvey Andrews masterpiece Writer Of Songs on vinyl bought from a charity shop today for a pound only blemished by a signature across the sleeve in blue Biro.  Contributions from DM, Peggy, Danny Thompson, Ralph, Cozy Powell and Rick Wakeman.

Also bought Margarita and PG signed as well ... works I'm not familiar with.
bassline (Mike)
the Spens is mightier with the Swarb
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Wolverhampton

« Reply #910 on: January 14, 2020, 08:24:18 AM »

XX - Great Big Sea

I miss this band.

Such a shame they never played Croppers - they'd have been brilliant. I saw them as a support band...knew none of their stuff...hadn't even heard of them, and they blew me away. I just bought Up ( I now have three albums with that title..you know what they are) last week, so they have been on my mind lately too.

Well I never did..
Alan2
Other peole know stuff so I don't have to
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #911 on: January 14, 2020, 08:52:19 AM »

Harvey Andrews masterpiece Writer Of Songs on vinyl bought from a charity shop today for a pound only blemished by a signature across the sleeve in blue Biro.  Contributions from DM, Peggy, Danny Thompson, Ralph, Cozy Powell and Rick Wakeman.

Gosh I used to have that- cube label. Saw HA live once in the 90s. An oft overlooked songwriter, I think.
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Caer

« Reply #912 on: January 14, 2020, 09:29:11 AM »

Gosh I used to have that- cube label. Saw HA live once in the 90s. An oft overlooked songwriter, I think.

When I had my book shop in Sedbergh about 15 years ago, he came in and had a chat (he was playing a gig in Kirkby Stephen I think).  Absolutely delightful man, and he signed my copy and we had a chat about all his rock star mates.  Sadly retired now, I believe....but well earned.  I hope he's well.

Once in a while, you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right...
Brendan
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Barrow-in-Furness

« Reply #913 on: January 14, 2020, 02:03:36 PM »

When I had my book shop in Sedbergh about 15 years ago, he came in and had a chat (he was playing a gig in Kirkby Stephen I think).  Absolutely delightful man, and he signed my copy and we had a chat about all his rock star mates.  Sadly retired now, I believe....but well earned.  I hope he's well.
I don't know if it was on here but I watched a clip on you tube where Harvey Discussed singing a song on a movie soundtrack. I have a Harvey Andrews album somewhere with Richard Thompson on it I think it was song from a corner seat or something like that. I also was at a acoustic night and the other singer (yes there were only two of us there) sang marguerita

"I'm only a bag of Rags in an Overall"
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #914 on: January 14, 2020, 02:05:31 PM »

I don't know if it was on here but I watched a clip on you tube where Harvey Discussed singing a song on a movie soundtrack. I have a Harvey Andrews album somewhere with Richard Thompson on it I think it was song from a corner seat or something like that. I also was at a acoustic night and the other singer (yes there were only two of us there) sang marguerita

Incidentally - why/how did Harvey never play Cropredy (or did he)?

Once in a while, you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right...
Nick Reg
The Dreaded
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: NEWCASTLE, STAFFS

Merry Hell are coming

« Reply #915 on: January 14, 2020, 04:53:25 PM »

The excellent Acoustic Tearoom no doubt. I think he still does a few charity gigs.

There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #916 on: January 14, 2020, 06:00:26 PM »

The excellent Acoustic Tearoom no doubt. I think he still does a few charity gigs.

Great venue.  The other thing about Harvey's Writer of Songs album...how is it possible that the person on the cover is in their 20's?!

blagden
Money for
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: South God's Own Country

I am a rebel - whilst ever my wife will let me be!

« Reply #917 on: January 14, 2020, 06:03:11 PM »

At the much missed Rockingham Arms at Wentworth in the early days of mobile phones mid-introduction to a song mine went off silently in my pocket, he heard it and went off on one about all things modern. After he'd finished I felt like one of founding Fathers of capitalism.
Brendan
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Barrow-in-Furness

« Reply #918 on: January 14, 2020, 08:25:02 PM »

At the much missed Rockingham Arms at Wentworth in the early days of mobile phones mid-introduction to a song mine went off silently in my pocket, he heard it and went off on one about all things modern. After he'd finished I felt like one of founding Fathers of capitalism.

Are you one of the founding fathers of capitalism, if so I have a few questions....

"I'm only a bag of Rags in an Overall"
Will S
A twinset of librarians
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: near Aldbrickham, in the Royal County

« Reply #919 on: January 16, 2020, 08:35:11 PM »

Robbie Robertson's self-titled solo album.  Bought this when it came out, and don't listen to it that often these days.  But every time I do, I wonder why not.

All the diamonds in the world
That mean anything to me,
Are conjured up by wind and sunlight
Sparkling on the sea
(Bruce Cockburn)
Pages: 1 ... 44 45 [46] 47   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: