TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
September 26, 2020, 02:40:48 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 41 42 [43] 44 45 ... 97   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Listening to.......  (Read 197163 times)
Peter Allen

« Reply #840 on: December 18, 2019, 09:47:39 AM »

A couple of purchases from HMV after watching that Rod Stewart documentary the other night.  

Jeff Beck - Truth
The Faces - A Nod Is As Good As A Wink...

The expanded version of Truth has contributions from Jimmy Page, John Paul Jones, Keith Moon and Nicky Hopkins. Don't know how I've managed not to hear that album before now. Better late than never!

Some great stuff on Nod's "That's All You Need" has Woody on slide , and "Debris" is a fine Ronnie Lane song
 Woody was so good on guitar in the Faces yet my interest in the Stones evaporated after Mick Taylor left
ColinB
a better way to put it
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Lancaster

« Reply #841 on: December 18, 2019, 12:32:52 PM »

Some great stuff on Nod's "That's All You Need" has Woody on slide , and "Debris" is a fine Ronnie Lane song
Woody was so good on guitar in the Faces yet my interest in the Stones evaporated after Mick Taylor left

He was no slouch on the bass either on that Jeff Beck record. It was interesting to hear Ronnie and Rod talking together about the how the Faces came to an end. Ronnie was fine about Rod's solo success and Rod said he felt quite uneasy when the management started called the band Rod Stewart and the Faces. But it sounds like Ronnie's departure for the Stones was the final nail in the coffin though it took a while for him to be confirmed as Mick T's replacement.

Of the Stones albums he's played on I give Some Girls and Undercover a listen from time to time. The last studio album of theirs I've heard was A Bigger Bang which I didn't think much of.

BTW it's Keef's birthday today. 76 and still going.

Listen to my Off The Beaten Tracks radio shows on Mixcloud
https://www.mixcloud.com/cmbertram/
Adam
I'm looking at you, Cool Cat!

I'm a llama!

« Reply #842 on: December 18, 2019, 12:54:41 PM »

Jesus Christ, the Decemberists take on the Big Star classic. What’s not to love?
GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #843 on: December 19, 2019, 04:17:37 PM »

Fairly whipping through the festive listening now. A 5 hour round trip (thanks to both the M2 & M20 being closed) in quite the worst weather I have ever driven in afforded plenty of time for Christmas albums by Nick Lowe, The Mavericks, The Monkees (still surprisingly great a year on from its release), Carole King and a recording of Bob Dylan's Christmas Theme Time Radio Hour which must now be nearly 15 years old.
Bridgwit (Bridget)
I had a feeling there would be stripping involved
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: South Wales

« Reply #844 on: December 20, 2019, 09:14:23 AM »

Just bought The December People's Rattle & Humbug. A Robert Berry project which features famous Christmas songs & carols in the styles of various classic rock bands.

It's a hoot!
Listening to this now - love it!  Grin

Never look down on anyone
Unless you're helping them up
GubGub (Al)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #845 on: December 21, 2019, 12:28:53 PM »

The complete works of The Albion Christmas Band (not including the two Christmas albums released by The Albion Band, one of which I shall get to, the other of which is rarer than hen's teeth but is from my least favourite era of the band, the Cathy LeSurf years, so I am not too bothered. Nevertheless it is the only Albions studio album I don't have. Not reissued since 2002).
Alan2
Other peole know stuff so I don't have to
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #846 on: December 21, 2019, 12:54:33 PM »

Bert Jansch : On the Edge of a Dream (sanctuary CD, 2002).
RobertD
Holy expletive delighted...
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: New York City

« Reply #847 on: December 21, 2019, 05:21:18 PM »

The complete works of The Albion Christmas Band (not including the two Christmas albums released by The Albion Band, one of which I shall get to, the other of which is rarer than hen's teeth but is from my least favourite era of the band, the Cathy LeSurf years, so I am not too bothered. Nevertheless it is the only Albions studio album I don't have. Not reissued since 2002).

Al-out of curiosity what are the titles of the two Christmas albums by The Albion Band? Not sure I know of those.

Taking a break from the Christmas songs to listen to an early present for myself-The Staple Singers-Faith & Grace, A Family Journey 1953-1976. Fabulous, fabulous collection! Everything great, well presented evolution from gospel roots to Stax, and those Muscle Shoals tracks. Pops was the key, Mavis the star. Unbelievable voice

I'm just a little shy of Surf's Up and I'm deeper than Twist and Shout....Iain Matthews
GubGub (Al)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #848 on: December 21, 2019, 06:39:58 PM »

Al-out of curiosity what are the titles of the two Christmas albums by The Albion Band? Not sure I know of those.

Taking a break from the Christmas songs to listen to an early present for myself-The Staple Singers-Faith & Grace, A Family Journey 1953-1976. Fabulous, fabulous collection! Everything great, well presented evolution from gospel roots to Stax, and those Muscle Shoals tracks. Pops was the key, Mavis the star. Unbelievable voice

A Christmas Present From The Albion Band and, imaginatively, Christmas Album. There is also a live album called Another Christmas Present From The Albion Band also from the Cathy LeSurf era and easily available on Talking Elephant. Christmas Album is from 1999 and features the following line up.

Kellie While, vocals, acoustic guitar;
Joe Broughton, fiddle , mandolin, acoustic guitar, keyboards;
Ashley Hutchings, vocals, electric bass guitar, spoken word;
Neil Marshall, drums, percussion, spoken word;
Ken Nicol, vocals, acoustic and electric guitar, mandolin, sequencing;
with guests
Caroline Pearsall, violin; Jo Hamilton, viola; Joe Giddey, cello; on The Star
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Eardisley, Herefordshire

« Reply #849 on: December 21, 2019, 06:44:55 PM »

A Christmas Present From The Albion Band and, imaginatively, Christmas Album. There is also a live album called Another Christmas Present From The Albion Band also from the Cathy LeSurf era and easily available on Talking Elephant. Christmas Album is from 1999 and features the following line up.

Kellie While, vocals, acoustic guitar;
Joe Broughton, fiddle , mandolin, acoustic guitar, keyboards;
Ashley Hutchings, vocals, electric bass guitar, spoken word;
Neil Marshall, drums, percussion, spoken word;
Ken Nicol, vocals, acoustic and electric guitar, mandolin, sequencing;
with guests
Caroline Pearsall, violin; Jo Hamilton, viola; Joe Giddey, cello; on The Star

So, Christmas Present from the Albion Band is the one you're after?  Dirt cheap on discogs (on vinyl).

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Chris from Fieldtown
Sorry Bob

Loc: Fieldtown, Oxon

« Reply #850 on: December 21, 2019, 06:52:43 PM »

Slowly filling gaps in my Gene Clark music so picked up Roadmaster today and giving it a spin. Enjoying it a lot, some esssential tracks on first listen
GubGub (Al)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #851 on: December 21, 2019, 07:02:40 PM »

So, Christmas Present from the Albion Band is the one you're after?  Dirt cheap on discogs (on vinyl).

Yep, I just noticed that. I'd prefer the CD but as i really dislike CL's voice and am unlikely to liste to it anyway I am not really bothered.

I have the live album of the same material and i never listen to that either or to any of the CL era Albion Band albums.
Will S
A twinset of librarians
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: near Aldbrickham, in the Royal County

« Reply #852 on: December 22, 2019, 04:02:43 PM »

Yep, I just noticed that. I'd prefer the CD but as i really dislike CL's voice and am unlikely to liste to it anyway I am not really bothered.

I have the live album of the same material and i never listen to that either or to any of the CL era Albion Band albums.

I have the LP of the Christmas Present album, from way back, and enjoy it.  But if you don't like the live version, you won't enjoy that one, I'd guess.  Not that keen on the Christmas Album actually, but it is one of my daughter's favourites, and she isn't generally a folk fan, so...

All the diamonds in the world
That mean anything to me,
Are conjured up by wind and sunlight
Sparkling on the sea
(Bruce Cockburn)
GubGub (Al)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #853 on: December 24, 2019, 10:07:55 AM »

Live In Concert - A Winter Union

My favourite new listening of the festive season.
Bingers (Chris)
Day saved by donated doughnuts
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Essex

Trying to be young!

« Reply #854 on: December 24, 2019, 02:59:58 PM »

Listening to and watching Danny Baker’s Christmas Hits on Sky Arts  Grin

Born to Run (but not very fast)
Alan2
Other peole know stuff so I don't have to
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #855 on: December 26, 2019, 08:59:17 AM »

Quite a bit of Shirley Collins,  CD and vinyl. Seems to suit the season  rather.
Nick Reg
The Dreaded
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: NEWCASTLE, STAFFS

Merry Hell are coming

« Reply #856 on: December 26, 2019, 12:59:59 PM »

About to start on Stranded in Reality, looks fabulous.

There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets
Brendan
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Barrow-in-Furness

« Reply #857 on: December 26, 2019, 05:16:51 PM »

Listening to Kathy McCord - New Jersey to Woodstock which covers her debut solo album and extras of varying quality. Also listening to Richard Dawson's 2020 which I am really enjoying quite an interesting sound I don't know why I like it, but I do.

"I'm only a bag of Rags in an Overall"
Chris from Fieldtown
Sorry Bob

Loc: Fieldtown, Oxon

« Reply #858 on: December 26, 2019, 06:00:54 PM »

Listening to Kathy McCord - New Jersey to Woodstock which covers her debut solo album and extras of varying quality. Also listening to Richard Dawson's 2020 which I am really enjoying quite an interesting sound I don't know why I like it, but I do.

I heard him interviewed on Radio 4, really interesting guy and strangely compelling songs. He seesm to be offering something very different to the mainstream muzak
GubGub (Al)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #859 on: December 27, 2019, 12:55:04 AM »

About to start on Stranded in Reality, looks fabulous.

It is almost too fabulous.
Pages: 1 ... 41 42 [43] 44 45 ... 97   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: