TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
September 26, 2020, 04:17:36 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 40 41 [42] 43 44 ... 97   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Listening to.......  (Read 197200 times)
GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #820 on: December 15, 2019, 08:17:07 PM »

Deep into the festive listening now:

Christmas - Bruce Cockburn
Come Darkness Come Light - Mary Chapin Carpenter
50 Words For Snow - Kate Bush

The first two may be my favourite ever Christmas albums.
Paul
I've Got A Bike

Loc: Hampshire

I was a fair young curate then.

« Reply #821 on: December 15, 2019, 10:01:04 PM »

Currently playing Greg Lake's Christmas tune over and over as I attempt to learn it to play in the pub next week. (I've got no chance!  Smiley)

It's a miserable bloody song but somehow gorgeous too.

I play this quite often. I find it goes down very well. Mumble a couple of words if children are present. Smiley

Paul

wayne stote

« Reply #822 on: December 16, 2019, 12:16:10 AM »

Currently playing Greg Lake's Christmas tune over and over as I attempt to learn it to play in the pub next week. (I've got no chance!  Smiley)

It's a miserable bloody song but somehow gorgeous too.

I play this quite often. I find it goes down very well. Mumble a couple of words if children are present. Smiley

Paul

Yeah, great song!

I'm a fairly rudimentary instrumentalist but I find it a fairly straightforward song to playapart from tempo. It feels to me you have to be b=very precise otherwise it doesn't sound quite right.

I'll get it right one day!  Smiley
GubGub (Al)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #823 on: December 16, 2019, 11:05:40 AM »

Newly acquired:

Live In Concert - A Winter Union. Really excited about this one as I was at the show in Otford where it was recorded last December and it was wonderful.

Then a recording of A Carol Symphony by Victor Hely-Hutchinson and Fantasia on Christmas Carols by Ralph Vaughan Williams. I was at a concert yesterday afternoon where both of these lovely pieces were played. Finding them on a sensibly priced CD proved impossible however & I have had to resort to a download from Amazon of an EMI Classics album called Orchestral Music For Christmas.
mickf
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Barry, South Wales

« Reply #824 on: December 16, 2019, 01:10:41 PM »

Been doing the festive stuff too.
Thea Gilmore - Strange Communion
Jethro Tull - Christmas Album
St Agnes Fountain - First Album and Soal Cake
Steeleye Span - Winter
Moody Blues - December
Kate Rusby - While Mortals Sleep

If I had all the money I've spent on drink, I'd spend it on drink!
RobertD
Holy expletive delighted...
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: New York City

« Reply #825 on: December 16, 2019, 02:02:02 PM »

Don't know that Mary Chapin Carpenter one, but in total agreement regarding Bruce Cockburn's Christmas. It remains my favorite Christmas album too. Been playing a lot of The Albion Christmas Band's albums a lot too this year. Apart from Kellie's beautiful voice, I just love how the Albions play a lot of the traditional carols in a very straightforward fashion-nothing too flashy or crazy. Take the Holly & The Ivy as sung by Simon. Until I heard this version years ago now, the only arrangement of the song I knew was choral versions. Love those too, but the Albions approach is very nice.

Added to the yuletide spirit are Christmas albums by the Indigo Girls, Maddy Prior, Blind Boys Of Alabama, Sharon Jones & The Dap-Kings, Chris Trapper among others and its been a nice bit of holiday tunes this weekend. Oh yeah...also a very young Bob Seger's dead on James Brown homage-Sock It To Me Santa- "Christmas just won't be a drag cos Santa's got a brand new bag". Hilarious

I'm just a little shy of Surf's Up and I'm deeper than Twist and Shout....Iain Matthews
GubGub (Al)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #826 on: December 16, 2019, 02:11:26 PM »

Don't know that Mary Chapin Carpenter one, but in total agreement regarding Bruce Cockburn's Christmas. It remains my favorite Christmas album too. Been playing a lot of The Albion Christmas Band's albums a lot too this year. Apart from Kellie's beautiful voice, I just love how the Albions play a lot of the traditional carols in a very straightforward fashion-nothing too flashy or crazy. Take the Holly & The Ivy as sung by Simon. Until I heard this version years ago now, the only arrangement of the song I knew was choral versions. Love those too, but the Albions approach is very nice.

Added to the yuletide spirit are Christmas albums by the Indigo Girls, Maddy Prior, Blind Boys Of Alabama, Sharon Jones & The Dap-Kings, Chris Trapper among others and its been a nice bit of holiday tunes this weekend. Oh yeah...also a very young Bob Seger's dead on James Brown homage-Sock It To Me Santa- "Christmas just won't be a drag cos Santa's got a brand new bag". Hilarious

I was unaware of the Indigo Girls album. I must check that out.

Give Mary Chapin a listen. It is a really warm album, one to be savoured in half light, in front of a fire with a glass of mulled wine in hand. It leaves you with a real feeling of warmth, comfort and well being.
RobertD
Holy expletive delighted...
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: New York City

« Reply #827 on: December 16, 2019, 02:19:24 PM »

Give Mary Chapin a listen. It is a really warm album, one to be savoured in half light, in front of a fire with a glass of mulled wine in hand. It leaves you with a real feeling of warmth, comfort and well being.

Wonderful description...definitely interested based on that, together with the Los Lobos one you mentioned. And yes, the Indigo Girls album came out maybe 10 years ago. Its called Holly Happy Days. Couple of bluegrass  tracks, a beautiful Beth Nielsen Chapman song and maybe the best version of I'll Be Home For Christmas I've ever heard.

I'm just a little shy of Surf's Up and I'm deeper than Twist and Shout....Iain Matthews
GubGub (Al)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #828 on: December 16, 2019, 02:24:43 PM »

Wonderful description...definitely interested based on that, together with the Los Lobos one you mentioned. And yes, the Indigo Girls album came out maybe 10 years ago. Its called Holly Happy Days. Couple of bluegrass  tracks, a beautiful Beth Nielsen Chapman song and maybe the best version of I'll Be Home For Christmas I've ever heard.

Next up for me is Nick Lowe's Quality Street and then maybe Carole King's Christmas album.
Will S
A twinset of librarians
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: near Aldbrickham, in the Royal County

« Reply #829 on: December 16, 2019, 02:25:04 PM »

Al - agree with you about the Hely Hutchison and Vaughan Williams pieces - both standards in our house.  Looks like that album you bought has the same recordings we have on a CD (can't remember where we got it from, though I'm fairly sure my parents had the LP when I was growing up too!), plus some extras - the Children's Overture and Suite of English Folk Dances.

And to get back on track, I listened to a couple of the CDs from the Free Reed Midwinter box (I absolutely love John Kirkpatrick's 'Chariots', which I discovered through that) over the weekend, and just had Simon Mayor's Winter with Mandolins album on.

All the diamonds in the world
That mean anything to me,
Are conjured up by wind and sunlight
Sparkling on the sea
(Bruce Cockburn)
GubGub (Al)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #830 on: December 16, 2019, 05:02:57 PM »

Another newie.

White Xmas Lies - Magne Furuholmen

Abject scandi misery from start to finish on a sort of concept album bout the bleakness of Christmas (and a double album at that). Wholly melodic and accessible nevertheless. It may not get too many spins on Christmas Day itself but conversely it may be that rare thing, a Christmas album that stands up to listening outside of the festive season.
Shankly (Peter)
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Liverpool, England

« Reply #831 on: December 16, 2019, 06:03:10 PM »

I've been playing a self-made compilation of my favourite Christmas songs...

Disc 1

That'll be Christmas - Thea Gilmore
Frosty the snowman - Cocteau Twins
Must be Santa - Bob Dylan
Another rock'n'roll Christmas - Iron Maiden
Christmas in LA - The Killers
Spirit of Christmas past - Mostly Autumn
Christmas (Baby, please come home) - U2
2000 miles - the Unthanks
Santa Claus is coming to town - Bruce Springsteen
A very sorry Christmas - The New Mendicants
Have yourself a merry little Christmas - The Pretenders
St Stephen's Day murders - Elvis Costello
Santa Claws is coming to town - Alice Cooper
It's Christmas so we'll stop - Frightened Rabbit
Christmas all over again - Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers
We're following the wrong star - Billy Bragg
December will be magic again - Kate Bush
Viking Christmas - Amon Amarth
I wish it was Christmas today - Julian Casablancas
Christmas without a kiss - Smoke Fairies
The season's upon us - Dropkick Murphys

Disc 2

A fairytale of New York - The Pogues and Kirsty MacColl
In the deep midwinter - The Albion Christmas Band
Merry Christmas - Big Big Train
Merry Christmas everybody - Mostly Autumn
Run Rudolph run - Lemmy
Standing by my Christmas tree - Cara Dillon
Step into Christmas - The Wedding Present
Winter wonderland - Cocteau Twins
God rest ye merry gentlemen - Ronnie James Dio
The night before Christmas - The December People
I believe in Father Christmas - Greg Lake
Light of the stable - Emmylou Harris
It's Christmas time - Heart
First snow on Brooklyn - Jethro Tull
Happy Christmas (War is over) - John Lennon
I saw three ships - Jon Anderson
Joy to the world - Kate Rusby
Snowfalls - Big Big Train
The holly and the ivy - Annie Lennox
Here comes Santa Claus - Bob Dylan
Silent night/ The seven o'clock news - Simon and Garfunkel

Jules Gray
Go on, groove my truffles
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Cheltenham

What makes the buzzard buzz?

« Reply #832 on: December 16, 2019, 07:28:26 PM »

Needs:

Christmas Girl - Boston Spaceships
Jesus Christ - Big Star

Now be thankful for good things below
John From Austin
Donovan is my new texting buddy
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Austin

« Reply #833 on: December 16, 2019, 07:55:58 PM »

Who - The Who

I finally received my copy Saturday (it was included with my purchase of tickets to see the Dallas show, postponed from September). I have listened through twice, so far, and there's lots of good stuff on there.  I agree with everyone who said Pete was right to work with an outside producer.  Roger's voice sounds fantastic - his throat doctor is a genius.
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Eardisley, Herefordshire

« Reply #834 on: December 16, 2019, 08:13:51 PM »

Who - The Who

I finally received my copy Saturday (it was included with my purchase of tickets to see the Dallas show, postponed from September). I have listened through twice, so far, and there's lots of good stuff on there.  I agree with everyone who said Pete was right to work with an outside producer.  Roger's voice sounds fantastic - his throat doctor is a genius.

I'm still really enjoying it...had a lot of plays here.

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Shankly (Peter)
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Liverpool, England

« Reply #835 on: December 16, 2019, 08:27:03 PM »

Who - The Who

I'm still really enjoying it...had a lot of plays here.

I particularly like the first three tracks. The quality varies a bit thereafter, but it's still a pretty good album.
wayne stote

« Reply #836 on: December 17, 2019, 12:29:42 AM »

My Favourite Christmas album is The First Christmas Morning by Dan Fogelberg. It's gorgeous.

Special mentions to Jethro Tull, Magpie Lane, The Trans Siberian Orchestra and Twisted Sister.
Alan2
Other peole know stuff so I don't have to
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #837 on: December 17, 2019, 09:29:11 AM »

Bert Jansch: From the Outside (Eaarth Records limited edition gold vinyl LP, 2016).

Not Bert's most engaging album, but it has some great moments on it and is slowly growing on me.
ColinB
a better way to put it
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Lancaster

« Reply #838 on: December 17, 2019, 01:13:45 PM »

A couple of purchases from HMV after watching that Rod Stewart documentary the other night.  

Jeff Beck - Truth
The Faces - A Nod Is As Good As A Wink...

The expanded version of Truth has contributions from Jimmy Page, John Paul Jones, Keith Moon and Nicky Hopkins. Don't know how I've managed not to hear that album before now. Better late than never!

Listen to my Off The Beaten Tracks radio shows on Mixcloud
https://www.mixcloud.com/cmbertram/
wayne stote

« Reply #839 on: December 17, 2019, 01:54:34 PM »

Just bought The December People's Rattle & Humbug. A Robert Berry project which features famous Christmas songs & carols in the styles of various classic rock bands.

It's a hoot!
Pages: 1 ... 40 41 [42] 43 44 ... 97   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: