TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
February 22, 2020, 01:09:19 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 38 39 [40] 41 42 ... 53   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Listening to.......  (Read 78488 times)
Will S
A twinset of librarians
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: near Aldbrickham, in the Royal County

« Reply #780 on: November 29, 2019, 10:43:15 AM »

Skerryvore - Decade.  Not heard them before, and not entirely sure about the lead singer's voice on first listen - a bit too 'country' on some songs - but I'll have another listen.

All the diamonds in the world
That mean anything to me,
Are conjured up by wind and sunlight
Sparkling on the sea
(Bruce Cockburn)
Alan2
Other peole know stuff so I don't have to
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #781 on: November 29, 2019, 12:20:15 PM »

Ralph McTell : My Side of your Window (Castle remastered expanded CD, 2007).
bassline (Mike)
the Spens is mightier with the Swarb
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Wolverhampton

« Reply #782 on: November 29, 2019, 12:39:19 PM »

To celebrate getting my ticket for Steve Hackett's November 2020 tour, I'm listening to Seconds Out by Genesis.

More furious nodding along coming up  Cheesy

Thanks for the reminder..hardly any tickets left in Brum. Job done.

Well I never did..
Bridgwit (Bridget)
I had a feeling there would be stripping involved
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: South Wales

« Reply #783 on: November 29, 2019, 02:47:24 PM »

To celebrate getting my ticket for Steve Hackett's November 2020 tour, I'm listening to Seconds Out by Genesis.

You do NOT want to miss it Mike!!

Confusion will be my epitaph
bassline (Mike)
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #784 on: November 29, 2019, 03:05:01 PM »

No....I skipped the Selling England tour...but I'm doing this one.

Well I never did..
Will S
A twinset of librarians
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #785 on: November 29, 2019, 03:07:02 PM »

Malinky Far Better Days - first listen to this too, but it is a definite keeper

Sparkling on the sea
(Bruce Cockburn)
bassline (Mike)
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #786 on: November 29, 2019, 04:59:45 PM »

No....I skipped the Selling England tour...but I'm doing this one.

And then the gods smile upon us and he brings it to Cropredy...so I didn't miss it after all... Grin Grin Grin

Well I never did..
ColinB
a better way to put it
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Lancaster

« Reply #787 on: November 30, 2019, 04:43:35 PM »

Skerryvore - Decade.  Not heard them before, and not entirely sure about the lead singer's voice on first listen - a bit too 'country' on some songs - but I'll have another listen.

I've got a couple of their albums including Chasing the Sun which is worth a listen. They're ok but I know what you mean about the guy's voice.

Seeing as how it's St Andrew's Day I've been listening to some Scottish sounds including Karine Polwart, King Creosote, Salt House and Big Country. Now on to Ross Ainslie's album Sanctuary.

Listen to my Off The Beaten Tracks radio shows on Mixcloud
https://www.mixcloud.com/cmbertram/
wayne stote

« Reply #788 on: November 30, 2019, 04:46:30 PM »

Todd Rundgren

I tried some Mostly Autumn but I got mostly bored so moved on to some Todd - nice YouTube mix Smiley

I struggle a bit with Mostly Autumn on record despite them ticking all my usual boxes.

Good live though.
Alan2
Other peole know stuff so I don't have to
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #789 on: December 04, 2019, 02:04:49 PM »

CDs by the Roches.  Enjoying these, especially Can We Go Home Now (Ryko CD, 1995).
Will S
A twinset of librarians
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #790 on: December 04, 2019, 02:32:14 PM »

Starting to listen to some seasonal music:

Coope, Simpson, Fraser & Freya - [i[Hark, Hark[/i]

Psalmody/The Parley of Instruments/Peter Holman - Nativity - Christmas Music From Georgian England (this features a couple of my second cousins, who are part of the Parley of Instruments!)

Albion Christmas Band - Winter Songs

Sparkling on the sea
(Bruce Cockburn)
wayne stote

« Reply #791 on: December 04, 2019, 03:19:12 PM »

Currently enjoying Gordon Lightfoot - The Complete Singles: 1970 - 1980

It's an excellent collection. Because it contains the b-sides as well, there are some marvellous deep cuts along with all the hits.
Yorkshire Chris
Did you have a Sloppy Guiseppe?

Loc: Yorkshire (who'd have guessed...!)

« Reply #792 on: December 04, 2019, 04:21:15 PM »

Napalm Death Scum (1st Album - Full Dynamic Range Remaster) and From Enslavement to Obliteration (2nd Album).

Terrifying stuff in the car at full volume...!  Shocked
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Caer

« Reply #793 on: December 04, 2019, 05:20:27 PM »

Napalm Death Scum (1st Album - Full Dynamic Range Remaster) and From Enslavement to Obliteration (2nd Album).

Terrifying stuff in the car at full volume...!  Shocked

I saw them once.  Very impressive, but I can't say I 'get it'. The lyrics, written down, are often brilliant, but barking them unintelligibly at 180mph seems an odd way of getting them across.  My bad, I'm sure....

Once in a while, you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right...
GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #794 on: December 06, 2019, 09:19:38 PM »

12 Greatest Hits - Patsy Cline
Gold - Hank Williams

Ken Burns is having an adverse effect on my bank balance.  Grin

And finally, because it arrived late in the day, WHO by The Who. Interesting one this. It is clearly head and shoulders above Endless Wire and probably everything after Who By Numbers too but there are some odd disconcerting moments so I am not sure what I make of it overall. Two openly and self consciously (in a Cher fashion) auto tune heavy songs sung by Pete. An extraordinary, lavish 60s pastiche amongst the bonus tracks that would sound more at home on a Dukes of Stratosphear record. Then there is Street Song which is a masterpiece but bizarrely possibly the best thing here is another of the bonus tracks, so not on the core album, the utterly splendid This Gun Will Misfire.

So, all in all, it is more than could be hoped that The Two would be able to pull off something this good at this stage but on the other hand there is an air of oddness about it.
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #795 on: December 06, 2019, 10:02:06 PM »

Gold - Hank Williams

And finally, because it arrived late in the day, WHO by The Who. Interesting one this. It is clearly head and shoulders above Endless Wire and probably everything after Who By Numbers too but there are some odd disconcerting moments so I am not sure what I make of it overall. Two openly and self consciously (in a Cher fashion) auto tune heavy songs sung by Pete. An extraordinary, lavish 60s pastiche amongst the bonus tracks that would sound more at home on a Dukes of Stratosphear record. Then there is Street Song which is a masterpiece but bizarrely possibly the best thing here is another of the bonus tracks, so not on the core album, the utterly splendid This Gun Will Misfire.

So, all in all, it is more than could be hoped that The Two would be able to pull off something this good at this stage but on the other hand there is an air of oddness about it.

You almost make it sound as though 'odd' is a bad thing.  Only listened once, but I already think it's a better album than anything since Quadrophenia.  There are tracks on other albums of course which contain stuff that is better than this, but as an album it's by far the most coherent album in over 4 decades.  And let's face it, they only really have about 3 stone cold classics anyway, they've been making dodgy albums since the start.  One assumes it will be their last studio album.  If so, the boys (Pete especially, of course) done good.

Once in a while, you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right...
Chris from Fieldtown
Sorry Bob

Loc: Fieldtown, Oxon

« Reply #796 on: December 06, 2019, 10:35:22 PM »

Gold - Hank Williams

You almost make it sound as though 'odd' is a bad thing.  Only listened once, but I already think it's a better album than anything since Quadrophenia.  There are tracks on other albums of course which contain stuff that is better than this, but as an album it's by far the most coherent album in over 4 decades.  And let's face it, they only really have about 3 stone cold classics anyway, they've been making dodgy albums since the start.  One assumes it will be their last studio album.  If so, the boys (Pete especially, of course) done good.

It's my experience that albums that initially confuse or present as inconsistent often endure and prove really essential, perhaps more so that albums that gently please. Those songs that don't make sense initially can grow as others fade. Neil Young, Macca, Thompson have all done this to me.  I haven't heard the album but it will interesting to hear how impressions change, or not, with further listens

Jim
Klaatu barada nikto
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: manchester

Here To Help

« Reply #797 on: December 06, 2019, 11:44:52 PM »

The Who.
Starts off pretty well and slowly goes downhill from there.  Some not bad songs but most just dont sound like the Who. Songs about getting on and a couple sounding as retro as possible but without the drive that Entwistle and Moon had.  Yes at first listen its better than endless wire but its no classic.  Best since Quadrophenia is a phrase ive heard a few times today but that really doesnt say an awful lot.
    I certainly wont be buying it for myself, ill wait and see if one of the kids gets it for xmas, if not amazon music will do fine, i dont expect i will play it too often.

The Dude abides
RobertD
Holy expletive delighted...
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: New York City

« Reply #798 on: December 07, 2019, 03:17:45 AM »

Steve Gibbons Band Live-Caught In The Act on vinyl, one I picked up a few years ago. I saw Steve with the Dylan Project at Cropredy 2011, but it reminds me that I always wondered what or how SGB was perceived of back in the day. Solid opening act...good festival band...fun but not memorable? Just kind of curious  if anyone is willing to share!

I'm just a little shy of Surf's Up and I'm deeper than Twist and Shout....Iain Matthews
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #799 on: December 07, 2019, 09:17:41 AM »

The Who.
Starts off pretty well and slowly goes downhill from there.  Some not bad songs but most just dont sound like the Who. Songs about getting on and a couple sounding as retro as possible but without the drive that Entwistle and Moon had.  Yes at first listen its better than endless wire but its no classic.  Best since Quadrophenia is a phrase ive heard a few times today but that really doesnt say an awful lot.
    I certainly wont be buying it for myself, ill wait and see if one of the kids gets it for xmas, if not amazon music will do fine, i dont expect i will play it too often.

Has any top drawer band got as few classic albums as The Who?  I don't think so...if one's being really harsh, there are only 3, possibly 4 world beating albums in their body of work.  Who cares, I love 'em.... and I love this.  It's a really strong mature work.  When one thinks of the utter rubbish put out by great artists like Dylan, Neil, the Stones blah blah blah...I'll take this any day of the week.

Pages: 1 ... 38 39 [40] 41 42 ... 53   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: