TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
December 11, 2019, 08:43:02 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 35 36 [37] 38 39 ... 41   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Listening to.......  (Read 57240 times)
Chris from Fieldtown
Sorry Bob

Loc: Fieldtown, Oxon

« Reply #720 on: November 09, 2019, 11:11:13 PM »

Working my way through Neil Young's Transmission Impossible live 3 disk set picked up cheap in HMV. The stuff with The Band is shambolic and chaotic but Neil's  stuff is really enjoyable and transcends the often dodgy sound quality. Impulse buy and worked out to be a great one.
Jules Gray
Go on, groove my truffles
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Cheltenham

What makes the buzzard buzz?

« Reply #721 on: November 10, 2019, 10:00:47 AM »

Working my way through Neil Young's Transmission Impossible live 3 disk set picked up cheap in HMV. The stuff with The Band is shambolic and chaotic but Neil's  stuff is really enjoyable and transcends the often dodgy sound quality. Impulse buy and worked out to be a great one.

Is this a legit release?  I've never heard of it, yet HMV don't usually sell bootlegs.

Jules

Now be thankful for good things below
bassline (Mike)
the Spens is mightier with the Swarb
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Wolverhampton

« Reply #722 on: November 10, 2019, 11:25:50 AM »

Is this a legit release?  I've never heard of it, yet HMV don't usually sell bootlegs.

Jules

I think they are more of those grey area rights releases. There's lots. https://www.discogs.com/search/?q=transmission+impossible&type=all

Well I never did..
Chris from Fieldtown
Sorry Bob

Loc: Fieldtown, Oxon

« Reply #723 on: November 10, 2019, 12:51:39 PM »

Jules

I think they are more of those grey area rights releases. There's lots. https://www.discogs.com/search/?q=transmission+impossible&type=all

I guess you're right. Neil would probably have refused some of the stuff to be released given the quality of the sound. But it really is fascinating and I think it was only around a tenner.
ColinB
a better way to put it
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Lancaster

« Reply #724 on: November 10, 2019, 03:39:33 PM »

Some pleasant instrumental music from the Trio Dhoore who are three brothers from Flanders in Belgium

Ward Dhoore – Acoustic Guitar & Mandolin
Hartwin Dhoore – Diatonic Accordion
Koen Dhoore – Electro Acoustic Hurdy Gurdy

On the press release it say "Their new album “August” consists of nine instrumental chapters inspired by the story of a Flemish fisherman called August who survived over thirty three dangerous journeys between Flanders and Iceland in the 18th century in order to feed his family back home."

Listen to my Off The Beaten Tracks radio shows on Mixcloud
https://www.mixcloud.com/cmbertram/
RobertD
Holy expletive delighted...
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: New York City

« Reply #725 on: November 11, 2019, 02:27:30 PM »

(Been) listening to The Beatles...as in everything I own by them in alphabetical order by title. Other than the Live At The BBC 2 disc set I have no other rarities so its just been the studio albums. I had realized the other day that I really haven't listened to the full albums in some time so I decided to put that right! Actually I have found myself doing that recently with other artists that I have say a minimum of 10 albums by-just going to the first album and hitting play in the order they come up in on the player. Makes for a nice excursion backwards and forwards in time!

I'm just a little shy of Surf's Up and I'm deeper than Twist and Shout....Iain Matthews
Poor Will (Bill)
coocoocachoo would just be silly
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Bognor Regis West Sussex

« Reply #726 on: November 12, 2019, 10:53:31 AM »

It has taken a few listens for it to really sink in, but I now see Nick Cave’s “Ghosteen” as a thing of stark beauty.
I still hope that his next offering will come in with a massive bang and crash though!

In the words of the Zen Master " Don't just do something, sit there"
RobertD
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #727 on: November 12, 2019, 04:02:41 PM »

Was watching the bonus material on Runrig’s The Last Dance and there was a snippet of some Gaelic Psalm singing from the Hebrides. I probably have heard this in some context before but it really struck me for some reason now.  I’m not religious, but the pure resonance and sound of this music was truly powerful. The only similar sound I have ever heard was in a video showing a church service in Ethiopia. I have been listening via YouTube but now want to get some of this music because I truly found it unique on purely musical terms

I'm just a little shy of Surf's Up and I'm deeper than Twist and Shout....Iain Matthews
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Caer

« Reply #728 on: November 12, 2019, 06:33:17 PM »

Was watching the bonus material on Runrig’s The Last Dance and there was a snippet of some Gaelic Psalm singing from the Hebrides. I probably have heard this in some context before but it really struck me for some reason now.  I’m not religious, but the pure resonance and sound of this music was truly powerful. The only similar sound I have ever heard was in a video showing a church service in Ethiopia. I have been listening via YouTube but now want to get some of this music because I truly found it unique on purely musical terms

Do you know from which tradition - Catholic or Protestant? It's really weird the almost entirely geographical divide between the Catholics and the Protestants on the Western Isles....neither of them seem to like you hanging your washing out on a Sunday...  Grin

Once in a while, you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right...
RobertD
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #729 on: November 12, 2019, 07:02:54 PM »

Lol...no I suppose they don't! What I heard was definitely Presbyterian. Its hard to describe, but the sound just totally struck me, in the same way that things like Le Mystère des Voix Bulgares did years ago, or polyphonic singing from Corsica, or anything else where the structure and tone of voices is unique. Just that knowing of never hearing anything quite like it before. That is what appealed to me.

davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #730 on: November 13, 2019, 07:34:52 PM »

Forever Changes.  I never get bored of this album.  I've just got the 50th anniversary deluxe box (180g vinyl, 4CDs and a 96/24 DVD) for less than £30.  it's almost certainly too much of a good thing, but what a good thing to have too much of, eh?  

Once in a while, you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right...
Jules Gray
Go on, groove my truffles
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Cheltenham

What makes the buzzard buzz?

« Reply #731 on: November 13, 2019, 09:51:05 PM »

Forever Changes.  I never get bored of this album.  I've just got the 50th anniversary deluxe box (180g vinyl, 4CDs and a 96/24 DVD) for less than £30.  it's almost certainly too much of a good thing, but what a good thing to have too much of, eh?  

Agreed.

Jules

Now be thankful for good things below
PaulT
Memory jogger
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Gloucester

« Reply #732 on: November 14, 2019, 07:17:14 AM »

There's a series of albums called simply Salm vol 1,2 etc, and a fine album recorded at Celtic Connections called Salm and Soul, which includes a number of different choirs, and a few tracks by the likes of Malcolm Jones and Martyn Bennett.... Available over here from amazon, so possibly over the pond too.

Said the straight man, to the late man...
quodlibet (Ian)
Squeeze it, Eliseao
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Hereford. UK

Omnia ti bi felicia

« Reply #733 on: November 14, 2019, 08:43:28 AM »

David Crosby & Steely Dan "Wooden Ships".  Smiley

https://www.jambase.com/article/david-crosby-steely-dan-wooden-ships

A Brittunculus is not such a bad thing to be.
Bridgwit (Bridget)
I hope nobody thought they were MY sideburns
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: South Wales

« Reply #734 on: November 14, 2019, 09:42:32 AM »

How can I listen to this wondrous thing?  Tongue (I'm on a work PC and the firewall is blocking like everything!)

Confusion will be my epitaph
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #735 on: November 14, 2019, 10:07:43 AM »

How can I listen to this wondrous thing?  Tongue (I'm on a work PC and the firewall is blocking like everything!)

I'm having a sneaky listen at work with my Skype headset on...and very nice it is too - thanks for the link, Ian.  Quite a nice full, meaty sounding version.  A bit like an early 80's CSN version....with slightly jazzier geetar/keys (although some of those Mike Finnigan versions were pretty funky too).  Excellent.

Bridgwit (Bridget)
I hope nobody thought they were MY sideburns
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: South Wales

« Reply #736 on: November 14, 2019, 11:18:52 AM »

I'm having a sneaky listen at work with my Skype headset on...and very nice it is too - thanks for the link, Ian.  Quite a nice full, meaty sounding version.  A bit like an early 80's CSN version....with slightly jazzier geetar/keys (although some of those Mike Finnigan versions were pretty funky too).  Excellent.
Listening to it from my phone Smiley I love David Crosby!

Confusion will be my epitaph
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #737 on: November 14, 2019, 11:32:03 AM »

Listening to it from my phone Smiley I love David Crosby!

So do all right thinking people (apart from maybe Graham, Stephen and Neil)  Grin

How this man has kept his voice, I do not know...but he has.

quodlibet (Ian)
Squeeze it, Eliseao
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Hereford. UK

Omnia ti bi felicia

« Reply #738 on: November 14, 2019, 11:51:29 AM »

How this man has kept his voice, I do not know...but he has.

He's a tough old Byrd.  Grin

A Brittunculus is not such a bad thing to be.
RobertD
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #739 on: November 14, 2019, 12:25:53 PM »

There's a series of albums called simply Salm vol 1,2 etc, and a fine album recorded at Celtic Connections called Salm and Soul, which includes a number of different choirs, and a few tracks by the likes of Malcolm Jones and Martyn Bennett.... Available over here from amazon, so possibly over the pond too.

Wonderful! Thanks Paul, I will look into those. Definitely interested in anything Malcolm Jones is part of, but I'll look into the Salm volumes too. Cheers!

Pages: 1 ... 35 36 [37] 38 39 ... 41   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: