TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
December 08, 2019, 04:07:37 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36] 37 38 ... 41   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Listening to.......  (Read 55798 times)
Bingers (Chris)
Day saved by donated doughnuts
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Essex

Trying to be young!

« Reply #700 on: October 30, 2019, 06:24:42 PM »

Staying in the same sort of time period and listening to the Live at Knebworth 1990 album, with Tears for Fears, Quo, Cliff, Robert Plant, Genesis, Eric Clapton, Dire Straits, Paul McCartney and Pink Floyd.

Did you go to that gig? Had a great day except for the rain and the light under which we parked the car not working when we got back to the car park so it took us ages to find the car! (It was in the days before remote locking). Still got the programme and the original vinyl album as well as the anniversary CD with new tracks  Grin

Born to Run (but not very fast)
Will S
A twinset of librarians
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: near Aldbrickham, in the Royal County

« Reply #701 on: October 31, 2019, 11:28:30 AM »

No, I wasn't there.  Just picked up the album on download for not too much recently!

All the diamonds in the world
That mean anything to me,
Are conjured up by wind and sunlight
Sparkling on the sea
(Bruce Cockburn)
GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #702 on: October 31, 2019, 12:28:45 PM »

Working at home today so listening to the four Long Ryders albums & the EP ahead of going to see them tonight.
Will S
A twinset of librarians
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: near Aldbrickham, in the Royal County

« Reply #703 on: October 31, 2019, 02:34:19 PM »

Enjoy!  I'd love to see them live too.  But I've already been to two gigs this week, and Hassocks (why Hassocks?) is a way to go!

All the diamonds in the world
That mean anything to me,
Are conjured up by wind and sunlight
Sparkling on the sea
(Bruce Cockburn)
GubGub (Al)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #704 on: October 31, 2019, 02:40:45 PM »

Enjoy! †I'd love to see them live too. †But I've already been to two gigs this week, and Hassocks (why Hassocks?) is a way to go!

Yes I wondered why Hassocks too, though I have previously seen John Jones & the Reluctant Ramblers at the same venue so it is not unprecedented.
GubGub (Al)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #705 on: November 02, 2019, 05:49:20 PM »

Travelin' Thru- the new Bob Dylan Bootleg Series set.

Its an odd one this. I have to say it sounds fantastic throughout. My favourite discs are 1 & 3 which contain respectively some nice alternative versions of John Wesley Harding & Nashville Skyline and live performances from Johnny Cash & Earl Scruggs TV shows. Disc 3 also contains Dylan's own versions of Ring of Fire and Folsom Prison Blues, recorded for Self Portrait but unused. These may be the highlight of the set. Disc 2 though is the famous Dylan/Cash recording sessions and whilst it is never less than listenable or even enjoyable it is much more of a Johnny Cash record than a Dylan one with Bob just singing harmonies for the most part and Cash absolutely dominating. Selling it as a Dylan record is therefore somewhat misleading. This material was slated for a duets album at the time which was never issued but they are not really even duets. It is Johnny Cash accompanied by Bob Dylan.
Poor Will (Bill)
coocoocachoo would just be silly
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Bognor Regis West Sussex

« Reply #706 on: November 03, 2019, 09:51:34 AM »

By coincidence I am listening to it for the first time right now.
Only heard the first disc so far, but I like what Iím hearing, although to me, about 50% of the takes donít sound significantly different from the released versions.

In the words of the Zen Master " Don't just do something, sit there"
mightyglydd

Loc: Hollywood California

« Reply #707 on: November 03, 2019, 03:42:14 PM »

@Black Crowes - Shake Your Money Maker  ... Jealous Again still hits the spot.
A band with a real singer!

Been reading the drummer's book,  Shocked evidently the Robinson Brothers, particularly Rich, were (P28) 'obsessed with Nick Drake' and his guitar tuning, which led to led to She Talks To Angels. IMO one heck of a toon.

But you folks probably knew that Smiley
Jules Gray
Go on, groove my truffles
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Cheltenham

What makes the buzzard buzz?

« Reply #708 on: November 03, 2019, 04:42:18 PM »

Travelin' Thru- the new Bob Dylan Bootleg Series set.

Its an odd one this. I have to say it sounds fantastic throughout. My favourite discs are 1 & 3 which contain respectively some nice alternative versions of John Wesley Harding & Nashville Skyline and live performances from Johnny Cash & Earl Scruggs TV shows. Disc 3 also contains Dylan's own versions of Ring of Fire and Folsom Prison Blues, recorded for Self Portrait but unused. These may be the highlight of the set. Disc 2 though is the famous Dylan/Cash recording sessions and whilst it is never less than listenable or even enjoyable it is much more of a Johnny Cash record than a Dylan one with Bob just singing harmonies for the most part and Cash absolutely dominating. Selling it as a Dylan record is therefore somewhat misleading. This material was slated for a duets album at the time which was never issued but they are not really even duets. It is Johnny Cash accompanied by Bob Dylan.

I've scraped together enough money for this and will be buying it this week.    Cheesy

Jules

Now be thankful for good things below
Bridgwit (Bridget)
I hope nobody thought they were MY sideburns
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: South Wales

« Reply #709 on: November 04, 2019, 08:45:26 AM »

Having a little prog-fest on my own today as I'm working a 9 hour day (I usually work 6) so need good music to top up the motivation.

I will be exploring Big Big Train's back catalogue this morning starting with Folklore, then I shall move on to Spock's Beard and hopefully fit in some Steven Wilson and/or Porcupine Tree at the end. Might have a guest appearance just to liven up the day - I fancy some Unattended Luggage by Nick Mason.

Have a great day everyone!  Kiss

Cheesy  Cheesy

Confusion will be my epitaph
Alan2
Other peole know stuff so I don't have to
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #710 on: November 04, 2019, 09:27:27 AM »

Tim Buckley : Sefronia (Edsel remastered CD, 2017).
bassline (Mike)
the Spens is mightier with the Swarb
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Wolverhampton

« Reply #711 on: November 05, 2019, 11:43:47 PM »

Eno and Byrne's My Life In The Bush Of Ghosts.

A album oft referred to in musical press of various sorts over the years, but I'd never heard anything from it. I always wondered what it sounded like, so I bought it.

I've only played it the once so far, but I can safely say it sounds like Eno and Byrne's My Life In The Bush Of Ghosts.

Well I never did..
GubGub (Al)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #712 on: November 06, 2019, 09:18:58 AM »

A album oft referred to in musical press of various sorts over the years, but I'd never heard anything from it. I always wondered what it sounded like, so I bought it.

I've only played it the once so far, but I can safely say it sounds like Eno and Byrne's My Life In The Bush Of Ghosts.

I adore that album. I bought it when it first came out based on, I think, Nicky Horne playing a couple of tracks on his radio show but it may have been John Peel. It was a pretty left field purchase for me as a teenager, though I was already a Talking Heads fan. Absolutely groundbreaking stuff. I may give it a spin later.
Jim
Klaatu barada nikto
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: manchester

Here To Help

« Reply #713 on: November 06, 2019, 09:35:58 AM »

I had a bit of an early(up to and including New Gold Dream) Simple Minds fest yesterday.
They made some amazingly great music.

The Dude abides
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Caer

« Reply #714 on: November 06, 2019, 10:04:39 AM »

I had a bit of an early(up to and including New Gold Dream) Simple Minds fest yesterday.
They made some amazingly great music.

Some of that early stuff produced by Hillage, of course..

Once in a while, you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right...
blagden
Money for
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: South God's Own Country

I am a rebel - whilst ever my wife will let me be!

« Reply #715 on: November 06, 2019, 01:34:06 PM »

I adore that album. I bought it when it first came out based on, I think, Nicky Horne playing a couple of tracks on his radio show but it may have been John Peel. It was a pretty left field purchase for me as a teenager, though I was already a Talking Heads fan. Absolutely groundbreaking stuff. I may give it a spin later.

Wasn't one track subsequently omitted from reissues because of some negative reference to Islam or the Koran - or am I just making this up?
GubGub (Al)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #716 on: November 06, 2019, 02:00:28 PM »

Wasn't one track subsequently omitted from reissues because of some negative reference to Islam or the Koran - or am I just making this up?

I don't think it was because of a negative reference. I believe it was because the use of the Koran in a piece of secular music was thought to be potentially offensive to some muslims.  
Alan2
Other peole know stuff so I don't have to
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #717 on: November 06, 2019, 04:03:01 PM »

Tanita Tikaram: To Drink the Rainbow - anthology 1988 - 2019 (LP, 2019).
bassline (Mike)
the Spens is mightier with the Swarb
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Wolverhampton

« Reply #718 on: November 07, 2019, 12:52:56 AM »

I don't think it was because of a negative reference. I believe it was because the use of the Koran in a piece of secular music was thought to be potentially offensive to some muslims. †

Apparently this track was reinstated on early CD versions and omitted again. It's a bit weird for me to place this early sampling exercise back in my denim and leather metal years. Seems like a lifetime ago and just last week.

Well I never did..
RobertD
Holy expletive delighted...
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: New York City

« Reply #719 on: November 08, 2019, 03:14:37 PM »

This! New Cuban music featuring some giants of older Cuban music. Thanks to my girlfriend for introducing me to Cimafunk-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aUPw2YDkv-Y

I'm just a little shy of Surf's Up and I'm deeper than Twist and Shout....Iain Matthews
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36] 37 38 ... 41   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: