TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
October 19, 2019, 09:44:51 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Listening to.......  (Read 41372 times)
ColinB
a better way to put it
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Lancaster

« Reply #660 on: October 11, 2019, 05:35:04 PM »

Moved on from U2, to 10,000 Maniacs Blind Man's Zoo, Wishbone Ash Pilgrimage and now Van Morrison's Avalon Sunset.  Has he ever written anything as perfect in its summoning up of the atmosphere of a wonderful day as 'Coney Island'?

I was also playing my 12" of the Maniacs' What's The Matter Here?

Great minds thinking alike or just pure coincidence?  Smiley

Listen to my Off The Beaten Tracks radio shows on Mixcloud
https://www.mixcloud.com/GingerfeatherFM/
Will S
A twinset of librarians
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: near Aldbrickham, in the Royal County

« Reply #661 on: October 11, 2019, 05:43:40 PM »

Moved on from U2, to 10,000 Maniacs Blind Man's Zoo, Wishbone Ash Pilgrimage and now Van Morrison's Avalon Sunset.  Has he ever written anything as perfect in its summoning up of the atmosphere of a wonderful day as 'Coney Island'?

I was also playing my 12" of the Maniacs' What's The Matter Here?

Great minds thinking alike or just pure coincidence?  Smiley

Oh, great minds for sure!  Grin

All the diamonds in the world
That mean anything to me,
Are conjured up by wind and sunlight
Sparkling on the sea
(Bruce Cockburn)
Alan2
Other peole know stuff so I don't have to
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #662 on: October 12, 2019, 09:08:44 AM »

Ashley Hutchings All Stars : As You Like It (Talking Elephant reissue CD)

Still have oddly mixed feelings about this. It's a motley selection of tracks, including one about a footballer and another about the actor Albert Finney. When it's good, it's great  when it isn't so good it's odd.
GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #663 on: October 12, 2019, 10:53:47 AM »

Still have oddly mixed feelings about this. It's a motley selection of tracks, including one about a footballer and another about the actor Albert Finney. When it's good, it's great  when it isn't so good it's odd.

That is one of my favourite albums in the Fairport family catalogue. Yes it is a diverse collection of songs but what a stellar band and terrific playing. I'd have loved to see one of those shows.

Meanwhile I am on the home stretch for the records covered by the Heylin book:

Rendezvous - Sandy Denny
Kickin' Up The Sawdust - Ashley Hutchings
The Bonny Bunch of Roses - Fairport Convention
Gold Dust - Sandy Denny
Julie Covington - Julie Covington
Live At The LA Troubadour - Fairport Convention
Rise Up Like The Sun - The Albion Band
Tipplers Tales - Fairport Convention
First Light - Richard & Linda Thompson
Alan2
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #664 on: October 12, 2019, 03:31:22 PM »

That is one of my favourite albums in the Fairport family catalogue. Yes it is a diverse collection of songs but what a stellar band and terrific playing. I'd have loved to see one of those shows.

Meanwhile I am on the home stretch for the records covered by the Heylin book:

Rendezvous - Sandy Denny
Kickin' Up The Sawdust - Ashley Hutchings
The Bonny Bunch of Roses - Fairport Convention
Gold Dust - Sandy Denny
Julie Covington - Julie Covington
Live At The LA Troubadour - Fairport Convention
Rise Up Like The Sun - The Albion Band
Tipplers Tales - Fairport Convention
First Light - Richard & Linda Thompson

Another fine run there. The only one I'm not familiar with is the Ashley  Kickin up etc.

(If you haven't already, Al, try to hear Julie Covington's The Beautiful Changes ... plus CD.  It comprises nearly all Pete Atkin/Clive James songs).
GubGub (Al)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #665 on: October 12, 2019, 03:51:42 PM »

Richard Dawson's 2020.  https://www.theguardian.com/music/2019/oct/11/richard-dawson-2020-review-domino-album-britain?CMP=share_btn_fb&fbclid=IwAR1wG-KNunFC29X-tPQo8Kxz-dc-SxcRUH0sBVtNAbyoICZcx-zegtMjUZQ

Late contender for album of the year for me. Spotify link in the article if you want to try before you buy...

I read the review of this in the paper yesterday and almost made an impulse purchase on the spot but I am completely unfamiliar with Richard Dawson so I think I need to audition it first Hopefully it is available somewhere I can hear it. (I dont have Spotify).

Meanwhile... final push on the Heylin soundtrack.

Lark Rise To Candleford - The Albion Band
Sunnyvista - Richard & Linda Thompson
Smiddyburn/Flittin - Dave Swarbrick
Farewell Farewell - Fairport Convention
Shoot Out The Lights - Richard & Linda Thompson
Moat On The Ledge - Fairport Convention
Small Town Romance - Richard Thompson

And that is where the book ends.
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Caer

« Reply #666 on: October 12, 2019, 04:07:35 PM »

I read the review of this in the paper yesterday and almost made an impulse purchase on the spot but I am completely unfamiliar with Richard Dawson so I think I need to audition it first Hopefully it is available somewhere I can hear it. (I dont have Spotify).

He has a style all of his own.  I don't think anybody else sounds like him.  He's massively challenging to some ears (apparently).  It's a huge disappointment to me that this includes my other half.  Check out his group, Hen Ogledd, too...

Once in a while, you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right...
Alan2
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #667 on: October 12, 2019, 04:43:53 PM »

I saw RD live, as support a couple of years ago and was impressed, but not in a way that made me want to buy his albums. At times he seemed to be channelling Kevin Coyne, and at others he was gently humorous.A powerful imagination.

I
ColinB
a better way to put it
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Lancaster

« Reply #668 on: October 12, 2019, 06:38:17 PM »

Swarb and Simon's When We Were Very Young. It popped up on Spotify and 'tis a lovely mix of fiddle tunes, songs and novelty numbers like The Teddy Bear's Picnic. Nice rendition of Rosie as well.

And a Happy Birthday to Simon for tomorrow.

Listen to my Off The Beaten Tracks radio shows on Mixcloud
https://www.mixcloud.com/GingerfeatherFM/
GubGub (Al)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #669 on: October 14, 2019, 09:58:22 AM »

Inspired by the Heylin  book I am catching up with some missing links in Fairport family collection, chiefly the career of Ian Matthews which I have not followed, so:

In Search of Amelia Earheart - Plainsong
Valley Hi - Ian Matthews
Sometimes You Eat The Bear - Ian Matthews

but also

Bright Phoebus - Lal & Mike Waterson. I have always assumed that this would not be my thing so I am delighted to discover that I enjoyed much of it and none of it was less than interesting.

Next stop, with apologies to Jude for not getting there earlier, Morning Way by Trader Horne
PaulT
Memory jogger
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Gloucester

« Reply #670 on: October 16, 2019, 07:09:57 PM »

It'll be tomorrow's listening, as my copy of "Love from Planet Gong" arrived today. 12 CDs and a DVD of pure potheadpixiedom. Some(!) silliness and some fine jazzy/rocky blowing.

Said the straight man, to the late man...
Nick
Calendar Boy
Administrator

Loc: South Oxon

Block and Chip

« Reply #671 on: October 17, 2019, 01:00:05 PM »

I've been enjoying a mix of Red River Dialect, Sweet Baboo and Good Good Blood these last couple of days.

This is what comes of following bands' recommendations on Bandcamp.

Cheers

Nick

...putting the finishing touchés on some witty ripostes
DarrenWilliams

Loc: St Helens

« Reply #672 on: October 17, 2019, 01:50:33 PM »

Inspired by the Heylin  book I am catching up with some missing links in Fairport family collection, chiefly the career of Ian Matthews which I have not followed, so:

Valley Hi - Ian Matthews

but also

Bright Phoebus - Lal & Mike Waterson. I have always assumed that this would not be my thing so I am delighted to discover that I enjoyed much of it and none of it was less than interesting.

Next stop, with apologies to Jude for not getting there earlier, Morning Way by Trader Horne

In Search Of Amelia Earheart was my route into all things Fairport. Still really like the album, and listen to it fairly regularly. Valley Hi is probably my favourite Iain Matthews solo album, of those that I've listened to.

So glad you finally got round to listening to Bright Phoebus. I seem to remember you asking about it on here a few months (years?) ago? I take it you got a 2nd hand copy. Didn't the re-release get deleted again?

Teach Me To Be A Summer's Morning is worth a look if you like Bright Phoebus. It's a collection of Lal's demos from that era, bound in a hardback book of her lyrics and artwork. I'd also recommend Once In A Blue Moon by Lal with her son Oliver Knight.
Pastieboy (Trev)
Cookie Monster
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: grantham

Remember me I'm still your native son.

« Reply #673 on: October 17, 2019, 02:40:56 PM »

Dizraeli ---The Unmaster . His new one . High talent . Good

You are what you eat !!!
GubGub (Al)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #674 on: October 17, 2019, 02:50:22 PM »

Valley Hi - Ian Matthews

but also

So glad you finally got round to listening to Bright Phoebus. I seem to remember you asking about it on here a few months (years?) ago? I take it you got a 2nd hand copy. Didn't the re-release get deleted again?

Domino Records who issued the deluxe re-release were sued for breach of copyright and forced to delete the album again almost immediately. The original copyright holders are a small record label in Yorkshire (I forget the name) but they seem to have no intention of putting the album out again despite the demand. It is a real shame as I am sure there are many people who would still like a copy. It is not something I would ever love wholeheartedly but, as I say, I enjoyed some of it. The legal position however means that it is not even available on streaming services and even second hand physical copies are eye wateringly expensive. My interest was stimulated by the book as I had no idea of the depth of Richard Thompson's involvement previously but I had to listen courtesy of YouTube.
Alan2
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #675 on: October 17, 2019, 06:13:35 PM »

Once again I'm really glad I got a copy of Bright Phoebus 2LP deluxe
I bought it on the strength of its reputation and have grown to like it very much.
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #676 on: October 17, 2019, 06:58:00 PM »

Valley Hi - Ian Matthews

but also

Domino Records who issued the deluxe re-release were sued for breach of copyright and forced to delete the album again almost immediately. The original copyright holders are a small record label in Yorkshire (I forget the name) but they seem to have no intention of putting the album out again despite the demand. It is a real shame as I am sure there are many people who would still like a copy. It is not something I would ever love wholeheartedly but, as I say, I enjoyed some of it. The legal position however means that it is not even available on streaming services and even second hand physical copies are eye wateringly expensive. My interest was stimulated by the book as I had no idea of the depth of Richard Thompson's involvement previously but I had to listen courtesy of YouTube.

Not a small record label but music publishers, aren't they...Dave Bulmer...he's also the arse that holds the rights to Nic Jones's (and many others) material.  He's dead now, and Domino jumped the gun too early, I believe...but Dave's son Calum is a chip off the old block and intends to just sit on the material and stop the artists selling their music forever and a day.  There's a special place in hell for idiots like this...

Once in a while, you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right...
RobertD
Holy expletive delighted...
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: New York City

« Reply #677 on: October 17, 2019, 07:13:00 PM »

Valley Hi - Ian Matthews

but also

Not a small record label but music publishers, aren't they...Dave Bulmer...he's also the arse that holds the rights to Nic Jones's (and many others) material.  He's dead now, and Domino jumped the gun too early, I believe...but Dave's son Calum is a chip off the old block and intends to just sit on the material and stop the artists selling their music forever and a day.  There's a special place in hell for idiots like this...

Bulmer's label was Celtic Music though. Just had a look online and Domino looks like a legit record label, with an offshoot even here in Brooklyn, NY. Not sure how they came into briefly releasing Bright Phoebus, themselves, but the Yorkshire label was Celtic and I think they had a few subsidiaries (if only by name only) that released some of Ashley's/Albion stuff from the 80's.  Very much agreed with you regarding Bulmer being an arse from everything I have heard about him previously, especially regarding Nic Jones and Bright Phoebus

I'm just a little shy of Surf's Up and I'm deeper than Twist and Shout....Iain Matthews
DarrenWilliams

Loc: St Helens

« Reply #678 on: October 17, 2019, 07:53:03 PM »

Valley Hi - Ian Matthews

but also

Bulmer's label was Celtic Music though. Just had a look online and Domino looks like a legit record label, with an offshoot even here in Brooklyn, NY. Not sure how they came into briefly releasing Bright Phoebus, themselves, but the Yorkshire label was Celtic and I think they had a few subsidiaries (if only by name only) that released some of Ashley's/Albion stuff from the 80's.  Very much agreed with you regarding Bulmer being an arse from everything I have heard about him previously, especially regarding Nic Jones and Bright Phoebus

Thread from Mudcat about the rerelease and subsequent withdrawal :

https://mudcat.org/thread.cfm?threadid=162177&
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #679 on: October 17, 2019, 08:02:03 PM »

Domino looks like a legit record label

They're totally legit.  They just jumped the gun...or they didn't but the people (ie the family) that thought the rights issues were over led them to believe the legal issues were dealt with.  Calum got the lawyers involved again, and won (or more accurately was about to, and Domino/The Watersons complied by immediately destroying all remaining stock).  It must have been a very expensive 'mistake', I imagine...

Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: