TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
October 19, 2019, 09:41:31 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Listening to.......  (Read 41369 times)
Alan2
Other peole know stuff so I don't have to
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #640 on: October 09, 2019, 10:16:02 AM »

Soundtracking Clinton Heylin's (slightly terse) Fairport book which I have finally got around to reading

Moving right along:

Angel Delight - Fairport Convention
No Roses - Shirley Collins & The Albion Country Band
Babbacombe Lee - Fairport Convention
Battle of the Field - The Albion Country Band
The North Star Grassman & The Ravens - Sandy Denny
Morris On - The Morris On Band

That's a fine selection. I wonder if you Al, or another Fairport scholar can answer a question.  Listening to my copy of the Fairport-plays -Dylan CD last night, I noticed something new when it reached the live track 'Down in the Flood'.  I'm confident this is the same version I've been listening to on my copy of Live Convention (Island LP) which i've had for more years than I care to say.  What's different however is we hear Trevor asking Sandy to take the stage.  Does this mean she's been taking a break? Or is it that she is asked to sing impromptu? The track is just a few seconds longer for including Trevor's words.
bassline (Mike)
the Spens is mightier with the Swarb
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Wolverhampton

« Reply #641 on: October 09, 2019, 10:28:52 AM »

If I recall, Sandy wasn't officially back in the band at this point. It was a tour promoting Nine, Sandy went along with Trev, acted as support artist and guested with FC and eventually rejoined by osmosis.

Well I never did..
Alan2
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #642 on: October 09, 2019, 10:48:06 AM »

If I recall, Sandy wasn't officially back in the band at this point. It was a tour promoting Nine, Sandy went along with Trev, acted as support artist and guested with FC and eventually rejoined by osmosis.

Thanks Mike.  Cool
GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #643 on: October 09, 2019, 11:26:51 AM »

Soundtracking Clinton Heylin's (slightly terse) Fairport book which I have finally got around to reading

Moving right along:

Angel Delight - Fairport Convention
No Roses - Shirley Collins & The Albion Country Band
Babbacombe Lee - Fairport Convention
Battle of the Field - The Albion Country Band
The North Star Grassman & The Ravens - Sandy Denny
Morris On - The Morris On Band

That's a fine selection. I wonder if you Al, or another Fairport scholar can answer a question.  Listening to my copy of the Fairport-plays -Dylan CD last night, I noticed something new when it reached the live track 'Down in the Flood'.  I'm confident this is the same version I've been listening to on my copy of Live Convention (Island LP) which i've had for more years than I care to say.  What's different however is we hear Trevor asking Sandy to take the stage.  Does this mean she's been taking a break? Or is it that she is asked to sing impromptu? The track is just a few seconds longer for including Trevor's words.

My understanding is the same as Mike's, reinforced by having just read that section of the book. As for the selection above, I have a real blind spot when it comes to No Roses. I know it is regarded as a seminal album. I just don't enjoy it, try as I might. Hark the Village Wait by Steeleye Span is a far better record in a similar vein to me and Battle of the Field is damn close to being a masterpiece.
GubGub (Al)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #644 on: October 09, 2019, 02:21:45 PM »

Continuing the soundtrack...

Rock On - The Bunch
Henry The Human Fly - Richard Thompson
The Compleat Dancing Master - Ashley Hutchings & John Kirkpatrick
I Want To See The Bright Lights Tonight - Richard & Linda Thompson
Hokey Pokey  Richard & Linda Thompson
Alan2
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #645 on: October 09, 2019, 08:00:13 PM »

I really like no Roses but appreciate not everyone does. I like Shirley Collins a lot but for some reason I cant get along with the album she made with Davy Graham, and I like his music as well.
Some fusions just seem to work,  and some don't , for whatever reason.
Jules Gray
Go on, groove my truffles
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Cheltenham

What makes the buzzard buzz?

« Reply #646 on: October 10, 2019, 10:21:37 AM »

As for the selection above, I have a real blind spot when it comes to No Roses. I know it is regarded as a seminal album. I just don't enjoy it, try as I might. Hark the Village Wait by Steeleye Span is a far better record in a similar vein to me and Battle of the Field is damn close to being a masterpiece.

I love all three of 'em.

Jules

Now be thankful for good things below
Will S
A twinset of librarians
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: near Aldbrickham, in the Royal County

« Reply #647 on: October 10, 2019, 10:22:22 AM »

As for the selection above, I have a real blind spot when it comes to No Roses. I know it is regarded as a seminal album. I just don't enjoy it, try as I might. Hark the Village Wait by Steeleye Span is a far better record in a similar vein to me and Battle of the Field is damn close to being a masterpiece.

I love all three of 'em.

Jules

Me too

All the diamonds in the world
That mean anything to me,
Are conjured up by wind and sunlight
Sparkling on the sea
(Bruce Cockburn)
Ian_
blazzawazzada brortewtomay
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Warwickshire

None the wiser

« Reply #648 on: October 10, 2019, 11:17:48 AM »

Music by two fine guitarist/multi-instrumentalists, inspired (largely) by nature:

The Longest Day, by Toby Hay   https://tobyhay.bandcamp.com/track/curlew-part-i-3

Potemkin Village fayre, by Wyrdstone  https://wyrdstone.bandcamp.com/track/the-ambient-sounds-of-seaford    Smiley

The most beautiful experience we can have is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science." Albert Einstein
GubGub (Al)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #649 on: October 10, 2019, 01:06:49 PM »

The bag is becoming ore mixed now:

Sandy - Sandy Denny
Rosie - Fairport Convention
Like An Old Fashioned Waltz - Sandy Denny
Nine - Fairport Convention
If You Could See Thro My Eyes - Ian Matthews
Tigers Will Survive - Ian Matthews

I did also take a break from the Heylin soundtrack to take a listen to Hypersonic Missiles by Sam Fender. I felt the need to hear some new music by somebody under the age of 70. Fender has been hailed as the saviour of Springsteenesque guitar rock. He is 25 and clearly talented. To me he sounds very much like The Killers, which is not a bad thing but he is not immune from that 21st century Lukas Graham/James Bay syle of singing as if you have a mouth full of marbles and a voice coach from X Factor. I need to give it another listen.
Shankly (Peter)
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Liverpool, England

« Reply #650 on: October 10, 2019, 01:38:50 PM »

Some new albums

The resistance by IQ - very nice proggy stuff with 15 minute plus tracks
Ghosteen - Nick Cave & the Bad Seeds - Very low key stuff from Mr Cave. I suspect it'll take a few listens to get into.
Whiskey Myers - self titled album. Old fashioned southern rock.
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Caer

« Reply #651 on: October 10, 2019, 05:45:39 PM »

Ghosteen - Nick Cave & the Bad Seeds - Very low key stuff from Mr Cave. I suspect it'll take a few listens to get into.

Low key??  Really??  Cripes, that certainly wasn't my first impression.  To me, the impact was powerful, and instant.  Here's the Guardian review for those that want a bit more info on the album https://www.theguardian.com/music/2019/oct/05/nick-cave-and-the-bad-seeds-ghosteen-review

Once in a while, you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right...
GubGub (Al)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #652 on: October 11, 2019, 11:43:00 AM »

It really is astonishing just how much music the Fairport family recorded in the 70s. In quality control terms it was probably too much. I have to confess that if I listen to a lot of Sandy's solo material back to back it does get a bit samey. Nevertheless we plough on...

Live - Fairport Convention
Pour Down Like Silver - Richard & Linda Thompson
Rising For The Moon - Fairport Convention
Son Of - Morris On
In Concert 1975 - Richard & Linda Thompson
Gottle o Geer - Fairport
The Prospect Before Us
- The Albion Band
Will S
A twinset of librarians
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #653 on: October 11, 2019, 12:42:43 PM »

Having a U2 fest this morning while working at home.  I started with the last two albumss Songs of Experience and Songs of Innocence, and then when back in time to The Unforgettable Fire and now War.

Sparkling on the sea
(Bruce Cockburn)
Jim G
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Bridport ,Dorset

« Reply #654 on: October 11, 2019, 03:40:40 PM »

I received the newly released  Thought Porridge CD this morning from those wonderful moustache-powered musicians Biscuithead & the Biscuit Badgers  https://biscuithead.co.uk/.

As always a surreal selection of track titles including:-

British Hairpiece Champion
I've Got my finger up my nose
Mournful Colouring Book
The British Cactus & Succulent Society

Topping stuff!
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #655 on: October 11, 2019, 03:49:53 PM »

A new / old version of 21st Century Schizoid Man

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k06ljRKlmys&feature=youtu.be&fbclid=IwAR2FN4e30VRhHZp64pGGbSvxQ9U221aEdAa2hYWvS-qS5yyliza0S9hsNkg

Once in a while, you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right...
Alan2
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #656 on: October 11, 2019, 04:40:18 PM »

I love all three of 'em.

Jules

Me too

And me  Cool
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #657 on: October 11, 2019, 05:04:50 PM »

Richard Dawson's 2020.  https://www.theguardian.com/music/2019/oct/11/richard-dawson-2020-review-domino-album-britain?CMP=share_btn_fb&fbclid=IwAR1wG-KNunFC29X-tPQo8Kxz-dc-SxcRUH0sBVtNAbyoICZcx-zegtMjUZQ

Late contender for album of the year for me. Spotify link in the article if you want to try before you buy...

Will S
A twinset of librarians
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #658 on: October 11, 2019, 05:25:36 PM »

Moved on from U2, to 10,000 Maniacs Blind Man's Zoo, Wishbone Ash Pilgrimage and now Van Morrison's Avalon Sunset.  Has he ever written anything as perfect in its summoning up of the atmosphere of a wonderful day as 'Coney Island'?

Sparkling on the sea
(Bruce Cockburn)
ColinB
a better way to put it
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Lancaster

« Reply #659 on: October 11, 2019, 05:30:57 PM »

Having a U2 fest this morning while working at home.  I started with the last two albumss Songs of Experience and Songs of Innocence, and then when back in time to The Unforgettable Fire and now War.

Snap - I was playing The Unforgettable Fire this morning having dug out my box of 12" singles yesterday and gave Pride and New Year's Day a spin. The second of those had 5 tracks on it which was much better value than some 12"s which would give you a slightly extended version of the single and a dodgy mix of the same song on the B side. I'm thinking of a couple of Queen singles which were something of a rip-off. But more fool me for buying them.

I've also been checking out some Steve Goodman after listening to a Michelle Shocked 12" which included a cover of his song Penny Evans.

Listen to my Off The Beaten Tracks radio shows on Mixcloud
https://www.mixcloud.com/GingerfeatherFM/
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: