TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
October 17, 2019, 02:40:47 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 34   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Listening to.......  (Read 40543 times)
Albie
or tea, if that is your cup of tea
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #500 on: July 15, 2019, 02:26:38 PM »

Thunder, Lightning, Strike by The Go! Team, earlier while driving, perfect uplifting music for a sunny morning.

Then it was Thunder Up by The Sound, an 80s group (from Brighton, or do I misremember?) that never got big. I bought it a few years ago when I saw a second hand copy. It's OK, they sound very much of their time, bit like Echo......, U2, Then Jericho, and others I can't put a name to.

Now it's Time Machine, a best of for Stray. If you were watching rock bands in the 70s you must have seen Stray, they supported everyone, or so it seemed, as well as playing on the club/college circuit in their own right. It's a fantastic double CD, another band to be filed under "shoulda been huge".
Adam
I'm looking at you, Cool Cat!

I'm a llama!

« Reply #501 on: July 15, 2019, 07:01:18 PM »

Devils Dance Floor - Flogging Molly has just cropped up on the BBC2 advert for the Golf Open! Someone has good taste.
PaulT
Memory jogger
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Gloucester

« Reply #502 on: July 15, 2019, 09:45:41 PM »

2 bargain (i.e. promo version) purchases... Holly Cook's "Vessel of Love" - a lovely album of reggaefied tunes  Smiley

and

Beth Hart "Live at RAH 2018" - oh dear, I really don't like this.  Huh

I'd heard BH with Joe Bonamassa so thought I'd give it a go. I guess it'll find its way into my wife's car - she's a JB fan, so may well enjoy it.

Said the straight man, to the late man...
Brendan
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Barrow-in-Furness

« Reply #503 on: July 16, 2019, 04:05:21 PM »

Downloaded all my box sets to my iPod listening on shuffle  

"I'm only a bag of Rags in an Overall"
Chris from Fieldtown
Sorry Bob

Loc: Fieldtown, Oxon

« Reply #504 on: July 19, 2019, 05:32:03 PM »

Caravan & The New Symphonia. Just plugged one of the last gaps in my Caravan albums. Held off for a long time because I was suspicious it would be twee reworkings of the songs with strings etc. Instead it's a blistering live romp through some of their great tunes with an orchestra playing their hearts out and really adding a huge amount to the songs. I think I'm heading to the repeat button.  
quodlibet (Ian)
Squeeze it, Eliseao
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Hereford. UK

Omnia ti bi felicia

« Reply #505 on: July 19, 2019, 05:39:26 PM »

Caravan & The New Symphonia. Just plugged one of the last gaps in my Caravan albums. Held off for a long time because I was suspicious it would be twee reworkings of the songs with strings etc. Instead it's a blistering live romp through some of their great tunes with an orchestra playing their hearts out and really adding a huge amount to the songs. I think I'm heading to the repeat button.  

Yes it worked very well. I recall it being a great one-off gig at Drury Lane.  Smiley

A Brittunculus is not such a bad thing to be.
blagden
Money for
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: South God's Own Country

I am a rebel - whilst ever my wife will let me be!

« Reply #506 on: July 20, 2019, 11:46:32 AM »

The excellent Island Radicals CD that comes with this months Mojo includes FC's Tale In Hard Time.
Alan2
Other peole know stuff so I don't have to
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #507 on: July 24, 2019, 03:41:57 PM »

Lesley Duncan  : Lesley Step Lightly - the GM recordings . . plus, 1974-82 (Cherry Red 3CD, 2019).
Bingers (Chris)
Day saved by donated doughnuts
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Essex

Trying to be young!

« Reply #508 on: July 24, 2019, 04:12:39 PM »

The new extended version of Apollo by Brian Eno (thought it was topical to do this  Wink ) to be followed by Discreet Music by the same man whilst I’m in the mood

Born to Run (but not very fast)
dog-nap (Ian)
Now you've made me peckish

« Reply #509 on: July 25, 2019, 05:30:55 PM »

Lesley Duncan  : Lesley Step Lightly - the GM recordings . . plus, 1974-82 (Cherry Red 3CD, 2019).

Quite tempted by this.  Are the bonus tracks any good, Alan?
GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #510 on: July 25, 2019, 07:51:05 PM »

The new extended version of Apollo by Brian Eno (thought it was topical to do this  Wink ) to be followed by Discreet Music by the same man whilst I’m in the mood

Yes i have been listening to that too. One of the two deluxe reissues that came out last Friday that have been demanding my attention this week.

The other is McGear by Mike "McGear" McCartney. It is just a fabulous record from 1974 that I have owned on vinyl since the 70s. Produced by his older brother and backed by 80% of Wings who were, at the time, without a drummer. Step up one Gerry Conway who plays throughout the album (the most rock n roll drumming I have ever heard from Gerry). As an album it knocks spots off and rocks harder than many of big brother's efforts from that decade and is blessed with Mike's eccentric and witty lyrics. And The Man Who Found God On The Moon seems an entirely appropriate song this week. A really nicely done reissue package from Cherry Red too right down to hmaging the original Warner Brothers Burbank label and great remastered sound.
Bridgwit (Bridget)
I hope nobody thought they were MY sideburns
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: South Wales

« Reply #511 on: July 26, 2019, 01:55:32 PM »

Dead Ringers on BBC Sounds

Hysterical  Grin  Grin  I love it!

Confusion will be my epitaph
Alan2
Other peole know stuff so I don't have to
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #512 on: July 27, 2019, 03:20:54 PM »

Yes, and there's a good swatch of them. Disc one has a very good quality BBC concert, disc 2 has only a couple of tracks, one of which is the  lovely 'Earth Mother',  live, and disc 3 has a good number of singles etc, including a rather unnerving cover of 'Masters of War'.  I've been enjoying the set, and thinking once again how much good music there is, which I just missed entirely first time around.

I was sad  when she died, back in 2010.
ColinB
a better way to put it
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Lancaster

« Reply #513 on: July 27, 2019, 03:59:54 PM »

A compilation with the latest issue of Mojo titled Island Radicals. Includes tracks by Fairport, RT and John Cale along with the likes of Steel Pulse and Amy Winehouse. The magazine has interviews with RT, Tom Waits and Rhiannon Giddens. Bizarrely it's the September issue... out in July.

Listen to my Off The Beaten Tracks radio shows on Mixcloud
https://www.mixcloud.com/GingerfeatherFM/
GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #514 on: July 28, 2019, 05:02:33 PM »

After watching the excellent Classic Albums episode about The Chirping Crickets a couple of weeks ago I found a reasonably priced copy of the vinyl reissue. I have been a Buddy Holly fan since I was in my teens but only previously owned CD compilations. After the documentary it just felt as though this one should be heard on vinyl. So now I am. Not sure about the coloured vinyl (yellow) but it sounds great.
Chris from Fieldtown
Sorry Bob

Loc: Fieldtown, Oxon

« Reply #515 on: July 28, 2019, 08:35:03 PM »

New purchase for me, Jude's Earth Is Sleeping. The lyrics are burning into my head as I listen. Amazing album and an importnat one for me
jude
Officer Dibble to you
Global Moderator

officially an old bat.

« Reply #516 on: July 28, 2019, 09:32:12 PM »

New purchase for me, Jude's Earth Is Sleeping. The lyrics are burning into my head as I listen. Amazing album and an importnat one for me

Thank you  Smiley

See what your words did to me

my newly refurbished website www.judydyble.com
and my new shop http://judydyble.bigcartel.com/
dog-nap (Ian)
Now you've made me peckish

« Reply #517 on: July 30, 2019, 12:16:18 AM »

Yes, and there's a good swatch of them. Disc one has a very good quality BBC concert, disc 2 has only a couple of tracks, one of which is the  lovely 'Earth Mother',  live, and disc 3 has a good number of singles etc, including a rather unnerving cover of 'Masters of War'.  I've been enjoying the set, and thinking once again how much good music there is, which I just missed entirely first time around.

I was sad  when she died, back in 2010.

Many thanks, Alan.  Well worth a punt, by the sound of it.  I bought a couple of her records years ago, but never managed to see her live.  Never even saw any shows advertised down here, but maybe that had something to do with the crippling stage fright that Wikipedia mentions.  She should certainly have been better appreciated when she was alive.
Bridgwit (Bridget)
I hope nobody thought they were MY sideburns
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: South Wales

« Reply #518 on: July 30, 2019, 08:55:31 AM »

I'm waiting for the developers in work to finish a particular piece of fairly urgent and definitely essential work, which is now 4 days overdue, but so far today all they've done is talk about films, games and Boris Johnson coming to Wales. Oh, and looking at settees  Huh  Huh

Instead of having a rant I shall listen to some Cure, followed by Siouxsie and the Banshees, The Creatures, and bit of Jesus and Mary Chain and finish off with some All About Eve. This will enable my inner Goth to manifest itself so I will no longer care about how chuffing long it's taken them to create a simple form  Angry  Roll Eyes

Confusion will be my epitaph
mightyglydd

Loc: Hollywood California

« Reply #519 on: August 03, 2019, 02:21:33 AM »

Randy Newman - Baltimore..  several times.
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 34   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: