TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
November 15, 2019, 07:08:00 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 38   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Listening to.......  (Read 47630 times)
Alan2
Other peole know stuff so I don't have to
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #480 on: July 05, 2019, 03:55:48 PM »

For starters, Gottle o' Geer has either the full band or just Swarb on his own in the photo on the back ...

Credited to simply "Fairport" in the UK, and "Fairport featuring Dave Swarbrick" in the US

And there's the Fairport Convention self titled LP which is actually What We did etc. (US).

https://www.discogs.com/Fairport-Convention-Fairport-Convention/release/2089547

And the live LP retitled A Moveable Feast, of course.  

Just imported a  WL promo copy of the US "Fairport" ("Holidays" in a unique sleeve) for $20

Here's my still sealed 8-track  Smiley

Did you say you have a machine David??
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Caer

« Reply #481 on: July 05, 2019, 04:39:01 PM »

Did you say you have a machine David??

Nah...sadly - they are objet d'art!

Once in a while, you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right...
Alan2
Other peole know stuff so I don't have to
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #482 on: July 06, 2019, 03:17:56 PM »

Melissa Etheridge : The Medicine Show. (Concord LP, 2019).
« Last Edit: July 06, 2019, 03:43:41 PM by Alan2 » Logged
Jules Gray
Go on, groove my truffles
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Cheltenham

What makes the buzzard buzz?

« Reply #483 on: July 06, 2019, 11:44:26 PM »

The new Waterboys one, the new Guided by Voices one, and some vintage Robert Pollard.

Details available on application.   Grin

Jules

Now be thankful for good things below
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #484 on: July 07, 2019, 07:57:41 AM »

The new Waterboys one, the new Guided by Voices one, and some vintage Robert Pollard.

Jules

Go on then.  Should I bother?

Once in a while, you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right...
Jules Gray
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #485 on: July 07, 2019, 10:35:50 AM »

Curate's egg.  Some bliss, some fun, some head-scratching.  Not dissimilar to the previous one for much of the ride.  I'd say patchy, but that always sounds dismissive.  The good patches are very good.  I dunno, lots of fans are singing its praises, so I may be being unnecessarily tepid here.

Jules

GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #486 on: July 07, 2019, 10:45:34 AM »

Curate's egg.  Some bliss, some fun, some head-scratching.  Not dissimilar to the previous one for much of the ride.  I'd say patchy, but that always sounds dismissive.  The good patches are very good.  I dunno, lots of fans are singing its praises, so I may be being unnecessarily tepid here.

Jules

Single disc or two disc version? I haven't succumbed yet. I didn't listen to the previous one much but regard the one before that as a masterpiece.
Col D

Loc: South Cheshire

« Reply #487 on: July 07, 2019, 11:20:58 AM »

Jules

On balance I'd say yes, but only just. It's better than its predecessor, which feels like damning it with faint praise as for me that represented a career low point for Mike, but now I've got to know it better I've found quite a bit to like, but nothing to love. Starts well and ends well but a lot of what comes in between isn't particularly memorable.
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #488 on: July 07, 2019, 12:05:20 PM »

On balance I'd say yes, but only just. It's better than its predecessor, which feels like damning it with faint praise as for me that represented a career low point for Mike, but now I've got to know it better I've found quite a bit to like, but nothing to love. Starts well and ends well but a lot of what comes in between isn't particularly memorable.

Thanks, Col.  Interesting, as that mirrors my view of the previous one...although a few people (including on here) appeared to love that.  I thought it was toe-curlingly awful.  I'll preview it on Spotify...

Jules Gray
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #489 on: July 07, 2019, 12:50:35 PM »

Single disc or two disc version? I haven't succumbed yet. I didn't listen to the previous one much but regard the one before that as a masterpiece.

Double.  I'd actually have gone for the Japanese version out of choice, because the bonus tracks are, atypically, well worth the bother.  But oh the expense!

Jules

Jules Gray
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #490 on: July 07, 2019, 12:51:53 PM »

Starts well and ends well

I'd agree with that.  Tracks 1, 2, and 10 are the highlights.

Jules

John From Austin
Donovan is my new texting buddy
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Austin

« Reply #491 on: July 07, 2019, 05:54:17 PM »

Nick Mason's Saucerful of Secrets live in Houston, Texas.

Something unexpected in this wonderful audience recording is Guy Pratt's cheeky nods to John Entwistle, sprinkled throughout.  I definitely heard the bass part from "5:15" and a significant part of the Ox's solo from "The Real Me" dropped randomly into old Pink Floyd tunes.
Jules Gray
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #492 on: July 07, 2019, 06:00:12 PM »

Something unexpected in this wonderful audience recording is Guy Pratt's cheeky nods to John Entwistle, sprinkled throughout.  I definitely heard the bass part from "5:15" and a significant part of the Ox's solo from "The Real Me" dropped randomly into old Pink Floyd tunes.

Hahaa!  Excellent!   Grin

Jules

Bridgwit (Bridget)
I hope nobody thought they were MY sideburns
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: South Wales

« Reply #493 on: July 07, 2019, 06:42:55 PM »

I’m incredibly impressed that you picked that up!

Confusion will be my epitaph
Dan O.
I was the face of 2001
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #494 on: July 07, 2019, 09:22:28 PM »

I'd forgotten about that - yes there were cheeky Entwistle riffs inserted into the bass parts when I saw them last year.
John From Austin
Folkcorp Guru

« Reply #495 on: July 08, 2019, 05:11:43 AM »

I'd forgotten about that - yes there were cheeky Entwistle riffs inserted into the bass parts when I saw them last year.

I think I spotted the melodic bass intro to "Getting in Tune" as well...  Well played, Mr. Pratt!
John From Austin
Folkcorp Guru

« Reply #496 on: July 08, 2019, 10:47:01 PM »

I think I spotted the melodic bass intro to "Getting in Tune" as well...  Well played, Mr. Pratt!

Here's a recent interview in which Mr. Pratt confirms his Who fetish:  https://www.sussexlife.co.uk/people/guy-pratt-on-a-love-for-brighton-1-6079100
Jules Gray
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #497 on: July 08, 2019, 10:53:42 PM »

Here's a recent interview in which Mr. Pratt confirms his Who fetish:  https://www.sussexlife.co.uk/people/guy-pratt-on-a-love-for-brighton-1-6079100

I love that quote about this being the first time that Nick Mason, now 74, has ever slept on a tour bus.   Grin

Jules

John From Austin
Folkcorp Guru

« Reply #498 on: July 11, 2019, 11:08:40 PM »

...The Doobie Brothers: Live from the Beacon Theater, released June 28.

This live album includes complete performances of the albums "Toulouse Street" and "The Captain and Me" recorded live in late 2018 at two shows at the Beacon Theater in New York.  I am almost all the way through my first listen, and it's fantastic.  For casual fans, there are solid live versions of some of the Doobies' best-known early songs ("Listen to the Music," "Jesus is Just Alright," "Rockin' Down the Highway" (from TS), "China Grove," "Long Train Running," "Without You" and "South City Midnight Lady" (from TCAM).  Speaking as a fanboy since age 13, however, the treasures for me are the live versions of the super deep cuts from this pair of classic albums from 1972 and 1973.

As a bonus, the double-CD set includes a DVD with a complete performance cobbled together from the two shows.
RobertD
Holy expletive delighted...
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: New York City

« Reply #499 on: July 12, 2019, 02:55:50 PM »

Charles Bradley-Black Velvet. On the one hand this is a short collection of b-sides etc, culled to pay a final tribute to the memory of Charles and could be viewed as disappointing. On the other, it shows exactly why Charles was so diverse and why his talent as a singer deservedly and finally was put in the spotlight by Daptone Records, who were exactly the right bunch of people for his music.

I'm just a little shy of Surf's Up and I'm deeper than Twist and Shout....Iain Matthews
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 38   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: