TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
October 17, 2019, 02:37:04 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 34   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Listening to.......  (Read 40539 times)
GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #420 on: June 17, 2019, 10:04:59 PM »

Mumbles "it sounds like a second-rate (and over produced) Ian McNabb album track" and scurries off quickly...

Absolutely no offence intended. †I just don't get it (although I love the Seeger Sessions)...and, believe me, I've tried.

Well, McNabb himself adores it judging from his FB posts over the last few days

To my ears it is more of a Roy Orbison homage.

To me it is simply a superb Springsteen album and all this theorising as to who it sounds like etc strikes me as pointless but maybe thatís just me getting over-protective of my favourite artist in my old age †Wink Shocked Roll Eyes

I was just talking about that track, not the album as a whole but as I have already said, I love both. Bruce has always been very open about his influences and wears them on his sleeve. I dont think there is any harm in trying to detect them on this record or any of his records. It doesn't diminish the achievement. That late 60s symphonic Glen Campbell country vibe is a clear reference point on much of the album and I think he has even acknowledged that in the publicity. Nothing wrong with that at all. Quite the contrary. †Smiley
Bingers (Chris)
Day saved by donated doughnuts
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Essex

Trying to be young!

« Reply #421 on: June 17, 2019, 10:11:16 PM »

Mumbles "it sounds like a second-rate (and over produced) Ian McNabb album track" and scurries off quickly...

Absolutely no offence intended. †I just don't get it (although I love the Seeger Sessions)...and, believe me, I've tried.

To me it is simply a superb Springsteen album and all this theorising as to who it sounds like etc strikes me as pointless but maybe thatís just me getting over-protective of my favourite artist in my old age †Wink Shocked Roll Eyes

I was just talking about that track, not the album as a whole but as I have already said, I love both. Bruce has always been very open about his influences and wears them on his sleeve. I dont think there is any harm in trying to detect them on this record or any of his records. It doesn't diminish the achievement. That late 60s symphonic Glen Campbell country vibe is a clear reference point on much of the album and I think he has even acknowledged that in the publicity. Nothing wrong with that at all. Quite the contrary. †Smiley

Yes sorry...just me being daft! I get a bit blind sided sometimes...must loosen up  Roll Eyes

Born to Run (but not very fast)
Jules Gray
Go on, groove my truffles
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Cheltenham

What makes the buzzard buzz?

« Reply #422 on: June 17, 2019, 10:15:07 PM »

Oh I dunno. Looking at lists of top albums from 84-86 there were releases by the likes of Billy Bragg, The Smiths, Elvis Costello, The Icicle Works, Lloyd Cole & The Commotions, Aztec Camera, The Pogues, Martin Stephenson & The Dainties and Stump. Or were none of them your scene?

Let me see now...

Well, Billy's kind of an institution. I'm glad he exists, though I don't ever listen to him.

I grew tired of Morrissey even before he became a national embarrassment, but for a while, yes, The Smiths were good.

Elvis C is kind of an institution.  I'm glad he exists.  Actually, I always wanted to be a fan, but something always stopped me fully embracing him.  Maybe his voice.

I love The Icicle Works, although it wasn't until I heard Blind in 1988 that I became smitten.

I liked Lloyd Cole for about half an hour.

I wanted to like Aztec Camera but he/they left me cold.

The Pogues were a force of nature!

Martin Stephenson, well, he meant well, but I dunno, none of it stuck in my head.

I remember the name Stump, but I don't recall hearing a note by them.

Of course, all of these people you mention were like sacred deities compared to the mullet and Armani suit brigade, whom I continue to hold in the highest contempt.

Jules

Now be thankful for good things below
GubGub (Al)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #423 on: June 17, 2019, 10:23:28 PM »

Yes sorry...just me being daft! I get a bit blind sided sometimes...must loosen up †Roll Eyes

Incidentally I am currently listening to Summer of Sorcery, the new album by Little Steven & The Disciples of Soul. It is a lot of fun. Well worth a listen for anyone who is missing the E Street Band.
Brendan
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Barrow-in-Furness

« Reply #424 on: June 18, 2019, 05:53:31 AM »

Listening to Hannah James - Jigdoll, I had wondered if it would have staying power as it was such an immersive and multifaceted live experience but the vocal and musical performance mean I will continue listening to this long into the future

"I'm only a bag of Rags in an Overall"
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Caer

« Reply #425 on: June 18, 2019, 06:35:31 AM »

Mumbles "it sounds like a second-rate (and over produced) Ian McNabb album track" and scurries off quickly... †Wink Smiley Roll Eyes

Ha, ha - excellent.  I was hoping he'd sue instead...  Wink Grin

Once in a while, you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right...
Jules Gray
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #426 on: June 18, 2019, 09:39:32 AM »

Ha, ha - excellent. †I was hoping he'd sue instead... †Wink Grin

Here's what Ian posted on Twitter:

"Bruce. I worship and adore you. Great song! Did Nils give you an old Icicle Works tape or summat?
Whatever!
Love, I x"

ColinB
a better way to put it
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Lancaster

« Reply #427 on: June 18, 2019, 09:55:31 AM »

Oh I dunno. Looking at lists of top albums from 84-86 there were releases by the likes of Billy Bragg, The Smiths, Elvis Costello, The Icicle Works, Lloyd Cole & The Commotions, Aztec Camera, The Pogues, Martin Stephenson & The Dainties and Stump. Or were none of them your scene?

They were at the weirder end of the indie spectrum. Only released one album I think but I saw them a couple of times in my student days and Mick Lynch was quite an engaging front man.

I should've mentioned Love and Rockets as well. I hadn't been a huge fan of Bauhaus but the three of them who carried on as L+R made some fine music, Express being one to check out.

The sort of stuff I was listening to from the USA included John 'Cougar' Mellencamp, Springsteen, Nils Lofgren, Robert Cray, Gil Scott Heron, Talking Heads, Tom Waits as well as rock bands like ZZ Top and Reo Speedwagon. I saw quite a few of these in concert with Lofgren playing a superb gig at Edinburgh's Usher Hall in 85.

As for folk music, the nearest I got in those days was Runrig and John Martyn.

Listen to my Off The Beaten Tracks radio shows on Mixcloud
https://www.mixcloud.com/GingerfeatherFM/
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Caer

« Reply #428 on: June 18, 2019, 11:06:50 AM »

"Bruce. I worship and adore you. Great song! Did Nils give you an old Icicle Works tape or summat?
Whatever!
Love, I x"

I'm feeling quite chuffed my ears picked up the connection now.  I've long since stopped following Ian on social media.  Too many Illuminati lizzards there for my liking...

Once in a while, you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right...
Bingers (Chris)
Day saved by donated doughnuts
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Essex

Trying to be young!

« Reply #429 on: June 18, 2019, 11:18:55 AM »

Iíve now changed tack and given my CD player a well-earned rest from Western Stars! Having seen ďThe Lost Words: Spell SongsĒ concert at the Southbank Centre last year, my CD player is now employed playing the wonderful songs of the Lost Words album. Itís sheer bliss listening to the lovely Julie Fowlis, Karine Polwart, Rachel Newton, Beth Porter, Kris Drever, Seckou Keita, Jim Molyneux and Kerry Andrew collaboration

Born to Run (but not very fast)
Peter Allen

« Reply #430 on: June 18, 2019, 01:18:13 PM »

They were at the weirder end of the indie spectrum. Only released one album I think but I saw them a couple of times in my student days and Mick Lynch was quite an engaging front man.

I should've mentioned Love and Rockets as well. I hadn't been a huge fan of Bauhaus but the three of them who carried on as L+R made some fine music, Express being one to check out.

The sort of stuff I was listening to from the USA included John 'Cougar' Mellencamp, Springsteen, Nils Lofgren, Robert Cray, Gil Scott Heron, Talking Heads, Tom Waits as well as rock bands like ZZ Top and Reo Speedwagon. I saw quite a few of these in concert with Lofgren playing a superb gig at Edinburgh's Usher Hall in 85.

John Martyn , now there was a long neglected talent , oddly i saw John Mellencamp at Hull City Hall whilst he had the Cougar bit in his name , but he improved with age, "Small Town " and "Jack & Diane" were fine 45's
GubGub (Al)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #431 on: June 18, 2019, 01:38:54 PM »

Whatever!
Love, I x"

I'm feeling quite chuffed my ears picked up the connection now. †I've long since stopped following Ian on social media. †Too many Illuminati lizzards there for my liking...

Grin Grin Grin
ColinB
a better way to put it
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Lancaster

« Reply #432 on: June 18, 2019, 01:58:39 PM »

John Martyn , now there was a long neglected talent , oddly i saw John Mellencamp at Hull City Hall whilst he had the Cougar bit in his name , but he improved with age, "Small Town " and "Jack & Diane" were fine 45's

I saw him in the mid 80s knowing little about him. I don't remember much about the gig except that I was dog-tired and nearly nodded off half-way through. I didn't go out and buy any of his records so he can't have made that good an impression on me.

Mellencamp I saw in the early 90s in London. He played a good mix of songs from American Fool up to Whenever We Wanted. I haven't heard much of his recent stuff tbh. The Lonesome Jubilee is probably my favourite album of his.

Getting a bit off-topic here. I was listening to some Dave Brubeck earlier and then various as I put together my next radio show which will include Alison Krauss, Bonnie Raitt and The Dylan Project.

Listen to my Off The Beaten Tracks radio shows on Mixcloud
https://www.mixcloud.com/GingerfeatherFM/
Peter Allen

« Reply #433 on: June 18, 2019, 02:29:55 PM »

I saw him in the mid 80s knowing little about him. I don't remember much about the gig except that I was dog-tired and nearly nodded off half-way through. I didn't go out and buy any of his records so he can't have made that good an impression on me.

Mellencamp I saw in the early 90s in London. He played a good mix of songs from American Fool up to Whenever We Wanted. I haven't heard much of his recent stuff tbh. The Lonesome Jubilee is probably my favourite album of his.

Getting a bit off-topic here. I was listening to some Dave Brubeck earlier and then various as I put together my next radio show which will include Alison Krauss, Bonnie Raitt and The Dylan Project.

I believe John himself was capable  of  "passing out" mid set at some of his gigs , probably a mixture of tiredness and intoxication
What I don't understand is the absolute plethora of compilation CD's over the last few years for both Fairport and John Martyn
Although I really like 5 original album sets for around £10 , if you're not too fussed about bonus tracks
blagden
Money for
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: South God's Own Country

I am a rebel - whilst ever my wife will let me be!

« Reply #434 on: June 18, 2019, 05:09:18 PM »

Strange soundtrack to the commute today, John Peel standing in for Jackie Brambles (?) on daytime Wonderful 24 Hour 1FM  from Easter 1993.

Alternating tracks by Madonna, Whitney, Mica Paris, Lenny Kravitz etc. with The Fall, Wedding Present, Aphex Twin and tracks of annoying noise all with a p1ss taking Peel and an outside broadcast from Luton where the compare kept calling Let Loose,  Loose Ends.

As the show progresses the faxes from the listeners get increasingly irate at the change in what they would normally be listening to - very strange.
bassline (Mike)
the Spens is mightier with the Swarb
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Wolverhampton

« Reply #435 on: June 18, 2019, 06:11:22 PM »

Strange soundtrack to the commute today, John Peel standing in for Jackie Brambles (?) on daytime Wonderful 24 Hour 1FM †from Easter 1993.

Alternating tracks by Madonna, Whitney, Mica Paris, Lenny Kravitz etc. with The Fall, Wedding Present, Aphex Twin and tracks of annoying noise all with a p1ss taking Peel and an outside broadcast from Luton where the compare kept calling Let Loose, †Loose Ends.

As the show progresses the faxes from the listeners get increasingly irate at the change in what they would normally be listening to - very strange.

God bless you, John Peel. That is why we loved you.

Well I never did..
Yorkshire Chris

Loc: Yorkshire (who'd have guessed...!)

« Reply #436 on: June 19, 2019, 01:32:23 PM »

I was also picking up records by Minutemen, fIREHOSE, and Meat Puppets on SST records. †
Jules

So was I as well as Husker Du, Black Flag, Descendants and Saccharine Trust. The SST Label had an unbelievable amount of fantastic bands and artists. I still try and see Mike Watt whenever he visits the UK (with Flipper at the Brudenell, Leeds 3rd Aug 2019 being the next). I saw the Meat Puppets there last Monday - original line-up plus Curt Kirkwood's son, Elmo, and a keyboard player. Great gig!
Jules Gray
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #437 on: June 19, 2019, 02:29:24 PM »

I still try and see Mike Watt whenever he visits the UK (with Flipper at the Brudenell, Leeds 3rd Aug 2019 being the next). I saw the Meat Puppets there last Monday - original line-up plus Curt Kirkwood's son, Elmo, and a keyboard player. Great gig!

*sigh*  I've picked a fine time to have no disposable income.  I too always try and see Watt, and I've only ever seen the Pups once, and that was supporting Soul Asylum once, back in...I have no idea what year.

Jules

Ian_
blazzawazzada brortewtomay
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Warwickshire

None the wiser

« Reply #438 on: June 19, 2019, 03:52:43 PM »

The Kinks - The Village Green Preservation Society (2 cd edition)

Ray Davies' musical fertility in that period is quite remarkable, IMHO. Even their 'discards' are more impressive than a lot of mainstream music from that period and after....  Fez

The most beautiful experience we can have is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science." Albert Einstein
Jules Gray
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #439 on: June 19, 2019, 04:49:34 PM »

The Kinks - The Village Green Preservation Society (2 cd edition)

Ray Davies' musical fertility in that period is quite remarkable, IMHO. Even their 'discards' are more impressive than a lot of mainstream music from that period and after.... †Fez

I couldn't agree more.  Arguably the finest set of outtakes and bonus cuts you'll ever hear.

Jules

Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 34   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: