TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
October 17, 2019, 02:42:09 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 34   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Listening to.......  (Read 40545 times)
GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #400 on: June 15, 2019, 09:26:22 PM »

Graham Nash - Over The Years

Is this worth the price of admission?

It is a pretty cheap price at £5.99 for two discs though I admit I have not picked it up yet.

I am currently giving a second listen to Western Stars, the new album from Bruce Springsteen. It is a stylistic departure, lush and orchestral, sometimes stark and ethereal,, influenced possibly by Jimmy Webb but with echoes of Tunnel Of Love and The Ghost of Tom Joad. When the dust settles it is just possible that this will be considered amongst the very top rank of Springsteen records, a late period classic, his Time Out of Mind.
Nick Reg
The Dreaded
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: NEWCASTLE, STAFFS

Merry Hell are coming

« Reply #401 on: June 15, 2019, 09:32:51 PM »

Not as good as the other two I listed but still very good , you know them all of course. Try Phoebe's album.

There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Caer

« Reply #402 on: June 15, 2019, 09:38:22 PM »

At that price...but if there's anything off Innocent Eyes, I'll sue  Wink Grin

I watched/listened to a track called Killer by Phoebe.  Not really my bag but impressive.

Once in a while, you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right...
Chris from Fieldtown
Sorry Bob

Loc: Fieldtown, Oxon

« Reply #403 on: June 15, 2019, 09:38:46 PM »

For me it's the demo songs that are of most interest and for the most part deliver. Nash is a comptetent guitar player and the demo songs are a refreshing take on some very familiar songs, Teach Your Children, Pre Rpad Downs etc. Gently enjoyable stuff.  
ColinB
a better way to put it
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Lancaster

« Reply #404 on: June 17, 2019, 11:44:38 AM »

I just found a Rain Parade album on Spotify with the wonderful title of Emergency Third Rail Power Trip.

The only album I have of theirs is a live one called Beyond the Sunset. Great band.  Cool

Listen to my Off The Beaten Tracks radio shows on Mixcloud
https://www.mixcloud.com/GingerfeatherFM/
Bingers (Chris)
Day saved by donated doughnuts
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Essex

Trying to be young!

« Reply #405 on: June 17, 2019, 11:45:36 AM »

Western Stars - the latest album from my all-time favourite artist Bruce Springsteen (waits for the usual ridicule!). It is superb!

Born to Run (but not very fast)
Jules Gray
Go on, groove my truffles
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Cheltenham

What makes the buzzard buzz?

« Reply #406 on: June 17, 2019, 02:20:00 PM »

I just found a Rain Parade album on Spotify with the wonderful title of Emergency Third Rail Power Trip.

The only album I have of theirs is a live one called Beyond the Sunset. Great band.  Cool

I have the one you found on Spotify.  It was their first LP.  I bought it when it was released in the UK, because I was buying up anything in the import racks on the Zippo label.  Very cool album.  They found a sound they liked - a sort of blissed-out version of 60s psychedelia - and ploughed that furrow well.  Sometimes it didn't really transcend pastiche, but it didn't really matter.

Jules

Now be thankful for good things below
Jules Gray
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #407 on: June 17, 2019, 02:22:02 PM »

Western Stars - the latest album from my all-time favourite artist Bruce Springsteen (waits for the usual ridicule!). It is superb!

The song I've heard from this, There Goes My Miracle, is for me hands-down the greatest Bruce song I've ever heard.  Mind you, it does sound like Bruce Springsteen doing Ian McNabb doing Scott Walker, so that's part of the appeal for these ears.

Jules

ColinB
a better way to put it
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #408 on: June 17, 2019, 03:00:16 PM »

I have the one you found on Spotify.  It was their first LP.  I bought it when it was released in the UK, because I was buying up anything in the import racks on the Zippo label.  Very cool album.  They found a sound they liked - a sort of blissed-out version of 60s psychedelia - and ploughed that furrow well.  Sometimes it didn't really transcend pastiche, but it didn't really matter.

Jules

So I'm guessing you were listening to The Long Ryders, Green on Red and the like. They rather passed me by at the time but I was listening to the Ryders' State Of Our Union after the Rain Parade. On to Highway 61 Revisited now.

Bingers (Chris)
Folkcorp Guru

Trying to be young!

« Reply #409 on: June 17, 2019, 03:32:47 PM »

The song I've heard from this, There Goes My Miracle, is for me hands-down the greatest Bruce song I've ever heard.  Mind you, it does sound like Bruce Springsteen doing Ian McNabb doing Scott Walker, so that's part of the appeal for these ears.

Jules

As with all Bruce releases, I got the CD on day of release as it truly stands many listens as my player can testify.  Grin

John From Austin
Donovan is my new texting buddy
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Austin

« Reply #410 on: June 17, 2019, 05:56:23 PM »

James Taylor, live at the Fair Park Music Hall in Dallas, Texas, March 17, 1971.

This is a very good audience recording, seemingly complete, of JT promoting the just-released Mudslide Slim... album with a band including Carole King on keys and backing vocals, Russ Kunkel on drums, Leland Sklar on bass and Danny Kortchmar on guitar. During "Sweet Baby James" the power goes out briefly, and he picks up where he left off after a couple minutes delay.  The vocals and acoustic guitar are crystal clear throughout.  The drums are tinny and the bass is non-existent, but you don't attend a JT concert for drums and bass.

Mrs. J From A is fairly certain she was at this show.
Jules Gray
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #411 on: June 17, 2019, 06:28:21 PM »

So I'm guessing you were listening to The Long Ryders, Green on Red and the like.

Yup. The Rain Parade, The Replacements, The Long Ryders, True West, Green On Red, Thin White Rope, Danny & Dusty, and Giant Sand were the first eight Zippo LPs.  I was also picking up records by Minutemen, fIREHOSE, and Meat Puppets on SST records.  Then there was R.E.M., of course.  It was all to try and escape the awful bilge clogging up the UK scene during the mid 80s.

Jules

davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #412 on: June 17, 2019, 06:38:25 PM »

So I'm guessing you were listening to The Long Ryders, Green on Red and the like.

Yup. The Rain Parade, The Replacements, The Long Ryders, True West, Green On Red, Thin White Rope, Danny & Dusty, and Giant Sand were the first eight Zippo LPs.  I was also picking up records by Minutemen, fIREHOSE, and Meat Puppets on SST records.  Then there was R.E.M., of course.  It was all to try and escape the awful bilge clogging up the UK scene during the mid 80s.

Jules

There was some great music around in the UK in the mid-80's.  It's not a binary world we live in....

Once in a while, you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right...
Jules Gray
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #413 on: June 17, 2019, 06:44:53 PM »

There was some great music around in the UK in the mid-80's.  

Yes there was, but much of it was bloody hard to find.

Jules

ColinB
a better way to put it
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #414 on: June 17, 2019, 07:31:20 PM »

There was some great music around in the UK in the mid-80's.  

Yes there was, but much of it was bloody hard to find.

Jules

Oh I dunno. Looking at lists of top albums from 84-86 there were releases by the likes of Billy Bragg, The Smiths, Elvis Costello, The Icicle Works, Lloyd Cole & The Commotions, Aztec Camera, The Pogues, Martin Stephenson & The Dainties and Stump. Or were none of them your scene?

Actually the Icicle Works weren't included in the lists but they should've been!

GubGub (Al)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #415 on: June 17, 2019, 08:37:29 PM »

Jules

So I'm guessing you were listening to The Long Ryders, Green on Red and the like. They rather passed me by at the time but I was listening to the Ryders' State Of Our Union after the Rain Parade. On to Highway 61 Revisited now.

Well, I certainly was and also have The Rain Parade album of which you speak.

Jules

I am with you in as far as it is one of my two favourite songs from the new record, which is hands down terrific as I noted earlier. The song is hugely radio friendly so inevitably it is one of the two from the album that is causing mass consternation and dispute on the Bruce boards.  Roll Eyes
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #416 on: June 17, 2019, 09:04:38 PM »

Mumbles "it sounds like a second-rate (and over produced) Ian McNabb album track" and scurries off quickly...  Wink Smiley Roll Eyes

Absolutely no offence intended.  I just don't get it (although I love the Seeger Sessions)...and, believe me, I've tried.

Bingers (Chris)
Folkcorp Guru

Trying to be young!

« Reply #417 on: June 17, 2019, 09:14:44 PM »

Each to their own as they say. If we all had the same tastes, life would get very dull very quickly

GubGub (Al)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #418 on: June 17, 2019, 09:38:39 PM »

Mumbles "it sounds like a second-rate (and over produced) Ian McNabb album track" and scurries off quickly...  Wink Smiley Roll Eyes

Absolutely no offence intended.  I just don't get it (although I love the Seeger Sessions)...and, believe me, I've tried.

Well, McNabb himself adores it judging from his FB posts over the last few days

To my ears it is more of a Roy Orbison homage.
Bingers (Chris)
Folkcorp Guru

Trying to be young!

« Reply #419 on: June 17, 2019, 09:47:35 PM »

Well, McNabb himself adores it judging from his FB posts over the last few days

To my ears it is more of a Roy Orbison homage.

To me it is simply a superb Springsteen album and all this theorising as to who it sounds like etc strikes me as pointless but maybe that’s just me getting over-protective of my favourite artist in my old age  Wink Shocked Roll Eyes

Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 34   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: