TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
June 24, 2019, 09:34:20 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 23   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Listening to.......  (Read 16641 times)
Bridgwit (Bridget)
I hope nobody thought they were MY sideburns
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: South Wales

« Reply #380 on: June 14, 2019, 08:04:33 AM »

Don't do it Brij! BJH very depressive in my experience!  
I'll try a few tracks as soon as I've caught up with The Archers  Grin If it gets too much I'll pop some Schpongle on - that always raises the mood!  Cool

Wham Bam Thank You Ma'am!
Alan2
Other peole know stuff so I don't have to
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #381 on: June 14, 2019, 12:45:58 PM »

Nice to know someone else is prepared to listen to BJH. I still feel they never got the admiration they deserved.  Cool
StephenB
something about the grinding beat

Loc: Blackpudlian exiled in Ireland

Some boy to be one boy - I should have been twins

« Reply #382 on: June 14, 2019, 01:06:04 PM »

I like BJH...there, I've said it. A nice blast from the past, happy memories  

If I could be any animal I wanted...
there'd be something really heavy going on.
Shankly (Peter)
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Liverpool, England

« Reply #383 on: June 14, 2019, 01:52:08 PM »

Me too - I saw them live a few times back in the old days and they were great. I still listen to them now and then.
GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #384 on: June 14, 2019, 02:17:18 PM »

Nice to know someone else is prepared to listen to BJH. I still feel they never got the admiration they deserved.  Cool

Maybe in the English speaking world but they were huge in Europe.

The only thin I have of theirs (at least I hope I still have it) is a promo copy of possibly their first single, Early Morning. It is lovely.
quodlibet (Ian)
Squeeze it, Eliseao
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Hereford. UK

Omnia ti bi felicia

« Reply #385 on: June 14, 2019, 03:14:06 PM »

Me too - I saw them live a few times back in the old days and they were great. I still listen to them now and then.

I loved the Harvest era & live they were fab with the Martyn Ford Orchestra. - beyond that , I found them distinctly dull & uninteresting. My loss.  Undecided

The "BBC In Concert 1972" set still gets an occasional airing

They played in the moat of the Tower of London in '72 & were in full flow with the orchestra during their last number when the plug was pulled for the Ceremony of the Keys. An ignominious end to a great show, but tradition will out.  Smiley

A Brittunculus is not such a bad thing to be.
Alan2
Other peole know stuff so I don't have to
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #386 on: June 14, 2019, 03:49:19 PM »

I saw John Lees reformed Bjh a few years back and they were excellent.
dog-nap (Ian)
Now you've made me peckish

« Reply #387 on: June 14, 2019, 04:25:08 PM »

A psychedelic trance track on YouTube by Utopia Strong, the band includes Kovus Torabi of Gong, a member of Coil, and, er, Steve Davis. "Snooker Loopy" it most certainly is not. Mr Davis is a huge prog fan...

Steve was interviewed about this on Talksport yesterday.  Apparently, they are playing at Glastonbury (the Crow’s Nest, I think).  They will also be appearing at Oslo (a London venue) in the autumn.  Fwiw, Steve plays a modular synth.
Will S
A twinset of librarians
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: near Aldbrickham, in the Royal County

« Reply #388 on: June 14, 2019, 04:46:02 PM »

Thought I'd go back to BJH today, so listened to the 1984 Wembley Arena concert which came with the extended Victims of Circumstances cd.

Then Rush 2112.  Stone cold classic!

All the diamonds in the world
That mean anything to me,
Are conjured up by wind and sunlight
Sparkling on the sea
(Bruce Cockburn)
Bridgwit (Bridget)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #389 on: June 14, 2019, 09:20:57 PM »

I ended up listening to the YouTube BJH mix - enjoyable in the main. Despite not being religious, I love Hymn. This live version is my favourite https://youtu.be/-aPnFTFrg5k  

And then I found this by Alan Parsons - Sirius/Eye in the Sky https://youtu.be/jdyto5rf0HU and the rain stopped and the sun shone.  Cheesy

davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Caer

« Reply #390 on: June 14, 2019, 09:23:07 PM »

Despite not being religious, I love Hymn. This live version is my favourite https://youtu.be/-aPnFTFrg5k  

Because I'm feeling lazy, I'll just quote Wiki:

"Hymn (often misinterpreted as Christian song but actually a song against the dangers of drug use and dedicated to musicians like Jimi Hendrix, Paul Kossoff and Janis Joplin)....."

My partner and I are running the Chester 10k on 10 March to raise money for our local hospice, and to raise awareness of the hospice movement.  Please click on my website for more info.  Thanks.
Nick Reg
The Dreaded
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: NEWCASTLE, STAFFS

Merry Hell are coming

« Reply #391 on: June 14, 2019, 11:32:50 PM »

I ended up listening to the YouTube BJH mix - enjoyable in the main. Despite not being religious, I love Hymn. This live version is my favourite https://youtu.be/-aPnFTFrg5k  

We watch that a lot it's fab.

There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets
Brendan
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Barrow-in-Furness

« Reply #392 on: June 15, 2019, 06:30:40 AM »

I listen to Black Widows - Come to the Sabbat and similarly Jancis Harvey's - Distance of Doors and Randy Matthews - Now do you understand and a number of Bryn Haworth songs despite not wortsgipping Satan or being a Christian in the same way some songs glory in Hunting and Whaling. Most I can detach myself from even some music from the likes of Wagner and.Handels Messiah. I have also not  got a particular fondness for Rastafarianism but still enjoy Marley but there are probably artists I would possibly avoid for "moral" reasons so I may be a hypocrite I like sweet home Alabama and Neil Young at the same time. I was driving along in the car once listening to the Eric Bogle boxed set I had bought my father was playing and a song with the chorus "I hate wogs" came on and I nearly crashed, although I know the intended standpoint mocking the character of the type of person who might use such words I still find it hard to listen too. My standpoint or motivation isn't clear and but I do like BJH's Hymn both when I believed it was about God and still now and it's not just that a good songs a good song but sometimes it's easier to distance the song from the supposed sentiment controversially I am not even bothered if God is watching us from a distance but millennium prayer I find unpalatable. What I do hate is people who waffle and make no real point. NWA's famous song hasn't convinced me to have intercourse with the police but if I met the right one I might be glad to be gay or not. Sorry I'll get my coat.

"I'm only a bag of Rags in an Overall"
madsue
susie-no-shoes

Loc: lanzarote

« Reply #393 on: June 15, 2019, 06:47:08 AM »

I have always loved them.  First time I saw them live was at the Weeley Festival back in the day.  Mockingbird holds a bit of my heart.
GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #394 on: June 15, 2019, 10:41:56 AM »

I have been wading through the Dylan Rolling Thunder box for the last week and splendid it is too, though his vocals do get a bit shouty by the final show, presumably because of the cold he had picked up during the tour.

This morning for a change and some light relief (& I know this will be divisive here) it is a playlist of early Queen. I don't really do Queen beyond the first four albums aparrt from the odd track and have not seen BoRap but before they became huge and degenerated into a platform for Freddie's pantomime dame act they really did some magnificent stuff.
Bridgwit (Bridget)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #395 on: June 15, 2019, 12:18:38 PM »

Despite not being religious, I love Hymn. This live version is my favourite https://youtu.be/-aPnFTFrg5k  

Because I'm feeling lazy, I'll just quote Wiki:

"Hymn (often misinterpreted as Christian song but actually a song against the dangers of drug use and dedicated to musicians like Jimi Hendrix, Paul Kossoff and Janis Joplin)....."
I didn’t know that. I was brought up a churchgoer until the age of 16 (and loved it, it should be said) but I now find it all quite irrelevant. Just be nice to each other and care for the natural world is my mantra! Thanks for posting this Dave - reminds me to check out the meaning of more songs Smiley

ColinB
a better way to put it
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Lancaster

« Reply #396 on: June 15, 2019, 02:39:02 PM »

This morning for a change and some light relief (& I know this will be divisive here) it is a playlist of early Queen. I don't really do Queen beyond the first four albums aparrt from the odd track and have not seen BoRap but before they became huge and degenerated into a platform for Freddie's pantomime dame act they really did some magnificent stuff.

I enjoy listening to most of their albums though I'd have to say A Kind of Magic and Made in Heaven rarely get played. And the BoRap film is worth seeing. It went from the silly - Roger being teased by Brian and John about I'm in Love with my Car - to the serious, when Freddie got his Aids diagnosis. Some scenes were invented but what you see in this sort of film is probably best not to be taken as gospel anyway.

As far as Listening to....... so far today's it's been -

I'm With Her - See You Around
Gilmore & Roberts - A Problem Of Our Kind
Steve Knightley - Cruel River
King Creosote - Astronaut Meets Appleman

Listen to my folk & acoustic music shows on Mixcloud
http://www.mixcloud.com/cmbertram/
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #397 on: June 15, 2019, 02:53:55 PM »

My favourite record shop (Tangled Parrot, Carmarthen) was in guest hands this morning so I was greeted by Queen on my arrival.  This wouldn't happen if the owner, Matt, was there.  For the first time in the 7 months I've been going I left without buying anything.  Just sayin'.....  Wink Smiley Grin

Here, it's mainly the Fall (first 2 box sets) with a bit of Crass, Trappist Afterland, the String Band and Dr Strangely Strange thrown in for variety.

My partner and I are running the Chester 10k on 10 March to raise money for our local hospice, and to raise awareness of the hospice movement.  Please click on my website for more info.  Thanks.
Nick Reg
The Dreaded
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: NEWCASTLE, STAFFS

Merry Hell are coming

« Reply #398 on: June 15, 2019, 05:27:48 PM »

Phoebe Bridgers - Stranger in the Alps
Honey Ryder - Born in a Bottle
Graham Nash - Over The Years

There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #399 on: June 15, 2019, 06:11:41 PM »

Graham Nash - Over The Years

Is this worth the price of admission?

Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 23   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: