TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
October 17, 2019, 10:03:45 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 34   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Listening to.......  (Read 40583 times)
Andy
Brain half the size of a planet
Global Moderator

Loc: South West Wales

Not Perfect. Never Claimed To Be.

« Reply #340 on: June 04, 2019, 09:34:41 AM »

Kirsty MacColl.  Cry Cry Cry

See What I did in 2018  for a selection of my photos.
bassline (Mike)
the Spens is mightier with the Swarb
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Wolverhampton

« Reply #341 on: June 04, 2019, 10:04:33 AM »

Not quite.  A fair chunk though.  I wanted to remind myself of the tracks I couldn't remember.  I've always had a soft spot for it's ambition, experimentation and self indulgence, and that appreciation is only growing.  I was enjoying even more of it than I thought I liked.  OK, the tracks with the kids singing are still a waste of vinyl, but there's so much to enjoy elsewhere.

Jules

Funnily enough ive had Hitsville UK on repeat in my head for the last couple of days, but i dont remember hearing it recently and haven't been playing it.
 So hit it.

I can't work out if that's meant to be a deliberate variation on the old 'When I nod my head - hit it,' joke....but it works anyway.

P.S That particular sadness about Kirsty never goes away, does it ?....

Well I never did..
Bridgwit (Bridget)
I hope nobody thought they were MY sideburns
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: South Wales

« Reply #342 on: June 04, 2019, 10:24:07 AM »

Not quite.  A fair chunk though.  I wanted to remind myself of the tracks I couldn't remember.  I've always had a soft spot for it's ambition, experimentation and self indulgence, and that appreciation is only growing.  I was enjoying even more of it than I thought I liked.  OK, the tracks with the kids singing are still a waste of vinyl, but there's so much to enjoy elsewhere.

Jules

Funnily enough ive had Hitsville UK on repeat in my head for the last couple of days, but i dont remember hearing it recently and haven't been playing it.
 So hit it.

I can't work out if that's meant to be a deliberate variation on the old 'When I nod my head - hit it,' joke....but it works anyway.

She'd have gone down a storm at Cropredy…

Confusion will be my epitaph
Dan O.
I was the face of 2001
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #343 on: June 04, 2019, 10:27:38 AM »

Jules

So hit it.

She'd have gone down a storm at Cropredy…

Agreed. She's on my wishlist of people I'd love to have seen in concert.

As for Sandinista, it certainly has its moments, there's treasure in those 3 discs !

Here, I'm listening to the sublime and soulful "People We Become" by Jo Harman.
GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #344 on: June 04, 2019, 10:52:17 AM »

I am lucky to have had that privilege. At a free festival outside Brighton. Late 80s or early 90s around the time that Kite was out. Dodgy and Stiff Little Fingers were also on.
DarrenWilliams

Loc: St Helens

« Reply #345 on: June 04, 2019, 01:30:56 PM »

I am lucky to have had that privilege. At a free festival outside Brighton. Late 80s or early 90s around the time that Kite was out. Dodgy and Stiff Little Fingers were also on.

Me too, also at a free Festival, in Leeds in the mid-90s. Possibly Heineken Festival.  Shane MacGowan and the Popes were also on the bill and Kirsty joined Shane for a rendition of Fairytale of New York. In July. Oysterband, Aswad and Midge Ure also played that day, I forget who else.

I've been listening to RT's 13 Rivers, definitely his best for a few years. Also some Band of Horses.
PaulT
Memory jogger
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Gloucester

« Reply #346 on: June 05, 2019, 06:45:38 PM »

Rachid Taha Live (Zenith, Paris 23/11/2001) - a cracking concert, OK the Clash meet Algerian Rai head-on (sorry about the pun!) is a bit of a cliché, but it's not far from the truth - a couple of the later tracks even venture into trance (Maghreb AND electronic dance).  Produced by Steve Hillage, who also adds guitar on a few tracks, and Femi Kuti sings and plays sax on one song. Vey atmospheric... one of the better "live" albums I've got/heard.

Said the straight man, to the late man...
quodlibet (Ian)
Squeeze it, Eliseao
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Hereford. UK

Omnia ti bi felicia

« Reply #347 on: June 06, 2019, 07:29:56 AM »

Rachid Taha Live (Zenith, Paris 23/11/2001) - a cracking concert, OK the Clash meet Algerian Rai head-on (sorry about the pun!) is a bit of a cliché, but it's not far from the truth - a couple of the later tracks even venture into trance (Maghreb AND electronic dance).  Produced by Steve Hillage, who also adds guitar on a few tracks, and Femi Kuti sings and plays sax on one song. Vey atmospheric... one of the better "live" albums I've got/heard.

Sounds fab. Is it this? It has a different date & venue.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rachid_Taha_Live

A Brittunculus is not such a bad thing to be.
PaulT
Memory jogger
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #348 on: June 06, 2019, 07:49:00 AM »

Yep, that's the one. The cover bears a sticker saying Zenith 23/11/2001, but I've just looked at the inner sleeve notes, and indeed it was recorded at L'Ancienne Belgique in Brussels on 11/03/2001.

Location notwithstanding, still a bloody good album!

quodlibet (Ian)
Squeeze it, Eliseao
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Hereford. UK

Omnia ti bi felicia

« Reply #349 on: June 06, 2019, 08:48:15 AM »

Yep, that's the one. The cover bears a sticker saying Zenith 23/11/2001, but I've just looked at the inner sleeve notes, and indeed it was recorded at L'Ancienne Belgique in Brussels on 11/03/2001.

Location notwithstanding, still a bloody good album!

Your advocacy is all I need. It's on the list.  Smiley

A Brittunculus is not such a bad thing to be.
PaulT
Memory jogger
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #350 on: June 06, 2019, 09:52:45 AM »

… and I picked it up (in vgc) for £1.50 in a charity shop...  Fez

ColinB
a better way to put it
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Lancaster

« Reply #351 on: June 08, 2019, 11:02:12 AM »

I'm having an RT morning. Started with a couple of discs from the Life and Times boxed set. The audience's reaction to Dear Janet Jackson and Madonna's Wedding always brings a smile to my face.

Now listening to Still.

Is anyone else having problems accessing his archive site? http://richardthompson-musiccom.siteprotect.net/

Listen to my Off The Beaten Tracks radio shows on Mixcloud
https://www.mixcloud.com/GingerfeatherFM/
Tom52

Loc: Munich

« Reply #352 on: June 08, 2019, 11:45:35 AM »

Is anyone else having problems accessing his archive site? http://richardthompson-musiccom.siteprotect.net/

Yes. It doesn't open for me either.
DarrenWilliams

« Reply #353 on: June 10, 2019, 09:00:10 AM »

I've been listening to the first three Kevin Ayers albums over the weekend, and I feel another obsession starting! I've ordered the Original Album Series containing his first 5 albums - no extras or sleeve notes but for £11 it's still a good deal. Soft Machine are a bit like Fairport in a sense, given there are so many offshoots to explore. Where Fairport lead to Steeleye, Albions, Richard Thompson, Iain Matthews, Sandy etc, from Soft Machine I've explored Robert Wyatt, Kevin Ayers and other Canterbury Bands like Hatfields, National Health, and I already have a few early Caravan albums. I suppose Wilde Flowers are the real antecedent of all these, but they're all part of the same family.

Any other Canterbury fans on here?
bassline (Mike)
the Spens is mightier with the Swarb
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Wolverhampton

« Reply #354 on: June 10, 2019, 09:15:52 AM »

I've been listening to the first three Kevin Ayers albums over the weekend, and I feel another obsession starting! I've ordered the Original Album Series containing his first 5 albums - no extras or sleeve notes but for £11 it's still a good deal. Soft Machine are a bit like Fairport in a sense, given there are so many offshoots to explore. Where Fairport lead to Steeleye, Albions, Richard Thompson, Iain Matthews, Sandy etc, from Soft Machine I've explored Robert Wyatt, Kevin Ayers and other Canterbury Bands like Hatfields, National Health, and I already have a few early Caravan albums. I suppose Wilde Flowers are the real antecedent of all these, but they're all part of the same family.

Yes. I'm but one of them. Kevin Ayers, Caravan and the Daevid Allan/Gong offshoot have been long time faves. I've just recently been listening to Hatfield And The North after reading The Rotters Club novel and a conversation with Maart. National Health will be the next port of call.

Well I never did..
Bridgwit (Bridget)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #355 on: June 10, 2019, 09:17:55 AM »

I'm a big Caravan fan (roll on Cropredy!) and feel impelled to check out the rest you mention now....  Cheesy

DarrenWilliams

« Reply #356 on: June 10, 2019, 09:33:50 AM »

I'm a big Caravan fan (roll on Cropredy!) and feel impelled to check out the rest you mention now....  Cheesy

I think if you like that english whimsical side of Caravan or early Floyd/Syd Barrett then Kevin Ayers might appeal. Possibly early Soft Machine too, although by the 4th album they were an instrumental jazz/rock band (which I like, but may not appeal to everyone). Richard Sinclair was the vocalist for Hatfield and The North, so I'd recommend their two studio albums (self-titled and The Rotters Club - from where Jonathan Coe named his novel as pointed out by Mike above).

We're away on holiday for Cropredy this year, so disappointed not to be seeing Caravan :-(

@Mike - National health albums have recently appeared on Spotify.
Bridgwit (Bridget)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #357 on: June 10, 2019, 11:36:25 AM »

I think if you like that english whimsical side of Caravan or early Floyd/Syd Barrett then Kevin Ayers might appeal. Possibly early Soft Machine too, although by the 4th album they were an instrumental jazz/rock band (which I like, but may not appeal to everyone). Richard Sinclair was the vocalist for Hatfield and The North, so I'd recommend their two studio albums (self-titled and The Rotters Club - from where Jonathan Coe named his novel as pointed out by Mike above).

We're away on holiday for Cropredy this year, so disappointed not to be seeing Caravan :-(

@Mike - National health albums have recently appeared on Spotify.
A scout around YouTube (the only thing we're allowed to listen to in work) has landed me with Hatfield & the North, for which I am very grateful. I have struggled with Soft Machine in the past despite many valiant efforts, but I'm very happy to try Kevin Ayers and will do so next Smiley
Sorry you won't see Caravan but I'm sure your holiday will more than compensate...  Cool

Alan2
Other peole know stuff so I don't have to
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #358 on: June 10, 2019, 03:31:16 PM »

I've long been a fan of Kevin Ayers ,  and still have time for Soft Machine, from any of their periods- with or without Mr. Wyatt.   Wyatt solo - I sort of got off the bus with him after Schleep  (1997) but I will always find Rock Bottom a beautiful album. Some Canterbury stuff I've either never explored, or been unmoved by.  Khan : Space Shanty, for instance, I find clever but rather clinical.
Alan2
Other peole know stuff so I don't have to
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #359 on: June 10, 2019, 03:35:54 PM »

Dorris Henderson and John Renbourn : There You Go  (Big Beat CD, 1999).
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 34   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: