TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
October 17, 2019, 02:38:49 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 34   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Listening to.......  (Read 40541 times)
GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #240 on: April 26, 2019, 01:16:25 PM »

Blood On The Tracks - Test Pressing RSD release - Bob Dylan

Keen followers of the internet will be aware that this release has been something of a disaster with mltiple manufacturing issues.

Mine arrived this morning from Spain. It looks like hell and is slightly warped but it plays and sounds good. Mostly. There is a deep scratch on Simple Twist of Fate which causes it to jump. But what can you do? At least I only paid the retail price (more or less) and not the fortune that these are going for elsewhere.
Jules Gray
Go on, groove my truffles
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Cheltenham

What makes the buzzard buzz?

« Reply #241 on: April 26, 2019, 05:13:34 PM »

Keen followers of the internet will be aware that this release has been something of a disaster with mltiple manufacturing issues.

Mine arrived this morning from Spain. It looks like hell and is slightly warped but it plays and sounds good. Mostly. There is a deep scratch on Simple Twist of Fate which causes it to jump. But what can you do? At least I only paid the retail price (more or less) and not the fortune that these are going for elsewhere.

What an utter pain in the arse!   Angry

Jules

Now be thankful for good things below
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Caer

« Reply #242 on: April 26, 2019, 05:16:05 PM »

What an utter pain in the arse!   Angry

Jules

There really is no excuse.  Yes, of course the odd one will have a problem, but this is obviously much more than that.  

Once in a while, you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right...
mightyglydd

Loc: Hollywood California

« Reply #243 on: April 27, 2019, 02:36:47 AM »

Hockey Playoff break..

The Black Keys - Lo/Hi & Eagle Birds
Silversun Pickups - It Doesn't Matter Why  ....love the strings...and the band. (Butch Vig produced)
Bruce Springsteen - Hello Sunshine ...alright, I'm hooked.

« Last Edit: April 27, 2019, 02:53:05 AM by mightyglydd » Logged
GubGub (Al)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #244 on: April 28, 2019, 11:46:33 AM »

South of Reality - The Claypool Lennon Delirium

Oh wow! How much fun is this?

I had lost track of Sean Lennon's career but this is a joy. I doubt that any of these bands are a direct influence but I hear Stackridge, early 10cc, Eldorado era ELO and a bunch of late 60s weirdo psychedelia in the mix.

The vinyl packaging is great too. I'm not generally a fan of coloured vinyl but the pink, purple & blue splatter is rather beautiful. Of course the music will be just as great on CD or download. Great stuff.

Alan2
Other peole know stuff so I don't have to
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #245 on: April 29, 2019, 12:30:30 PM »

Various Martin Carthy recordings, including the great January Man -- Live in Belfast 1978 (Hux CD, 2010). I can't imagine a poor MC recording.
Bridgwit (Bridget)
I hope nobody thought they were MY sideburns
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: South Wales

« Reply #246 on: April 30, 2019, 11:08:20 AM »

South of Reality - The Claypool Lennon Delirium

Oh wow! How much fun is this?

I had lost track of Sean Lennon's career but this is a joy. I doubt that any of these bands are a direct influence but I hear Stackridge, early 10cc, Eldorado era ELO and a bunch of late 60s weirdo psychedelia in the mix.

The vinyl packaging is great too. I'm not generally a fan of coloured vinyl but the pink, purple & blue splatter is rather beautiful. Of course the music will be just as great on CD or download. Great stuff.

I shall seek this out! thank you

Today, as usual, I'm stuck in the 70's  Cheesy but this time it's popular TV themes, specifically, those composed by Laurie Johnson CBE. Currently on the Jason King theme, with the prospect of the New Avengers, The Professionals and many more. More wacca wacca guitar than you could shake a sharp stick at! Fab  Cool

Confusion will be my epitaph
ColinB
a better way to put it
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Lancaster

« Reply #247 on: April 30, 2019, 11:54:32 AM »

Something a bit different - Venezuelan cuatro player Hernan Gamboa. That's the 4-stringed instrument that Steve Knightley and Phil Beer play. The cuatro varies in size and shape. The Puerto Rican one looks more like a lute.

The album I'm listening to is Uniendo Mundos and has covers of My Way (not great) and La Vie en Rose (nice). A Venezuelan friend gave me a cuatro many years ago and sadly she passed away just over a week ago.

Listen to my Off The Beaten Tracks radio shows on Mixcloud
https://www.mixcloud.com/GingerfeatherFM/
Jim G
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Bridport ,Dorset

« Reply #248 on: May 01, 2019, 04:18:30 PM »

Gong - The Universe Also Collapses.

Which supposedly is released on 10th May, but arrived this morning after I pre-ordered it from http://www.planetgong.co.uk  .

None of the original Gong members on this one (and no posthumous Daevid Allen vocals like on their last release) but on first listen it certainly continues in the same tradition as the earlier Gong.  Sounds pretty good to me-  lots of glissy, spacey and trippy stuff going on.

davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #249 on: May 01, 2019, 06:26:12 PM »

Which supposedly is released on 10th May, but arrived this morning after I pre-ordered it from http://www.planetgong.co.uk  .

None of the original Gong members on this one (and no posthumous Daevid Allen vocals like on their last release) but on first listen it certainly continues in the same tradition as the earlier Gong.  Sounds pretty good to me-  lots of glissy, spacey and trippy stuff going on.

I'm still unconvinced, although, what the hell, if it's good enough for Hillage, I suppose it should be good enough for me.

Once in a while, you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right...
Jim G
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Bridport ,Dorset

« Reply #250 on: May 02, 2019, 12:05:33 PM »

None of the original Gong members on this one (and no posthumous Daevid Allen vocals like on their last release) but on first listen it certainly continues in the same tradition as the earlier Gong.  Sounds pretty good to me-  lots of glissy, spacey and trippy stuff going

I'm still unconvinced, although, what the hell, if it's good enough for Hillage, I suppose it should be good enough for me.

Its never going to be the same without Daevid and Gilly, but its nice to hear the spirit of the original band live on in this new manifestation of the line up. It certainly got Daevid's blessing shortly before he died. I have had a couple of listens now and found the album quite pleasing.
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #251 on: May 02, 2019, 12:10:17 PM »

Well, there have been Gong albums without them both before, of course...(I realise I'm arguing against myself now)  Grin

PaulT
Memory jogger
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Gloucester

« Reply #252 on: May 02, 2019, 10:30:06 PM »

Something a bit different - Venezuelan cuatro player Hernan Gamboa. That's the 4-stringed instrument that Steve Knightley and Phil Beer play. The cuatro varies in size and shape. The Puerto Rican one looks more like a lute.

The album I'm listening to is Uniendo Mundos and has covers of My Way (not great) and La Vie en Rose (nice). A Venezuelan friend gave me a cuatro many years ago and sadly she passed away just over a week ago.

There's an ebay shop in Holland selling a Puerto Rican cuatro converted into a fretless uke bass!  Shocked

Said the straight man, to the late man...
John From Austin
Donovan is my new texting buddy
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Austin

« Reply #253 on: May 03, 2019, 12:58:37 AM »

White Bicycles, by Joe Boyd, on Audible, read by the author.

I'm only up to 1963 and he's already traveled all over the UK and US with blues and jazz musicians.  Now he's checking out the folk scene in New York City, dropping names like Dylan, Seeger and Baez.
Jules Gray
Go on, groove my truffles
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Cheltenham

What makes the buzzard buzz?

« Reply #254 on: May 03, 2019, 06:49:25 AM »

I Want To See the Bright Lights Tonight

Jules

Now be thankful for good things below
Alan2
Other peole know stuff so I don't have to
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #255 on: May 03, 2019, 10:37:28 AM »

I Want To See the Bright Lights Tonight

Jules

I think I've always liked RT best with Linda.
GubGub (Al)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #256 on: May 03, 2019, 11:27:18 AM »

Blue With Lou - Nils Lofgren.

Pretty good so far. Shaping up to be his best album since Flip to my ears.
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #257 on: May 03, 2019, 05:57:21 PM »

I'm not but I'm very tempted to...another fascinating looking compilation from Cherry Red: https://www.cherryred.co.uk/product/lullabies-for-catatonics-a-journey-through-the-british-avant-pop-art-rock-scene-1967-74-various-artists-3cd-clamshell-boxset/?mc_cid=ab4d48ce50&mc_eid=cb3f319b33

Brendan
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Barrow-in-Furness

« Reply #258 on: May 03, 2019, 11:41:54 PM »

I have been giving Richard Thompson's Amnesia a spin it's a great album with so many good songs. It hangs together really well, I go back to it quite regularly could be one of my favourite of his albums. Great songwriting too can't fault it.

"I'm only a bag of Rags in an Overall"
GubGub (Al)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #259 on: May 03, 2019, 11:57:55 PM »

I have been giving Richard Thompson's Amnesia a spin it's a great album with so many good songs. It hangs together really well, I go back to it quite regularly could be one of my favourite of his albums. Great songwriting too can't fault it.

That one was my entry point for RT. Still one of my four or five favourites of his records.
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 34   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: