TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
August 21, 2019, 03:55:16 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 29   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Listening to.......  (Read 27505 times)
Dan O.
I was the face of 2001
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #220 on: April 17, 2019, 09:14:50 AM »

Greta Van Fleet are quite enjoyable, but to my ears their singer sounds a bit more like Geddy Lee on Rush's debut pre-Neil Peart album than he does Robert Plant.

Mind you, when songs from that album were first heard on the radio, the stations concerned received phone calls enquiring if they were playing new Led Zeppelin material, so there you go...
PaulT
Memory jogger
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Gloucester

« Reply #221 on: April 17, 2019, 06:09:54 PM »

Summertime Blues from the Oo's Live at Leeds, to mark 59 years since the taxi carrying Eddie Cochran and Gene Vincent crashed on the A4 in Chippenham.

Said the straight man, to the late man...
Jules Gray
Go on, groove my truffles
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Cheltenham

What makes the buzzard buzz?

« Reply #222 on: April 17, 2019, 11:08:28 PM »

The Band by...uh...The Band.

Jules

Now be thankful for good things below
mightyglydd

Loc: Hollywood California

« Reply #223 on: April 18, 2019, 12:35:36 AM »

Avicii - SOS.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u8tdT5pAE34

I saw him five years ago, have no idea what he was doing up there but it was bloody amazing.
For some reason his death really got to me, so young, so talented, the song chokes me up, beautiful vocal from Aloe Blacc...  

@Aah THE band ! Saw them twice with the lads, IOW with Dylan and at the RAH.....I think Sandy came to the IOW.

Levon Helm :  The Mountain
« Last Edit: April 18, 2019, 12:51:25 AM by mightyglydd » Logged
quodlibet (Ian)
Squeeze it, Eliseao
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Hereford. UK

Omnia ti bi felicia

« Reply #224 on: April 18, 2019, 05:18:20 PM »

A birthday gift from No.1 son stuffed to the gunwales with fab esoteric "worldish" music inc

Amadou & Miriam - "Dimanche a Bamko"
Gnawa Diffusion - "Bab el Oued", "DZ Live", "Souk System", "Autres" & "F*ck*ng Cowboys"
& a home made compilation of Ravi Shankar, Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan remixes with some Indian & French / north African dub, most of which is absolutely captivating - I'm in.  Grin

"Ya Laymi : Arabic Reggae" by Gnawa Diffusion  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5uG3Fcm8lxs

Not really my cuppa tea, but great fun; "Rhinoceros" by Thornato ft. Gappy Ranks https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j1CoyC4VO0I

A Brittunculus is not such a bad thing to be.
GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #225 on: April 18, 2019, 06:07:08 PM »

A birthday gift from No.1 son stuffed to the gunwales with fab esoteric "worldish" music inc

Gnawa Diffusion - "Bab el Oued", "DZ Live", "Souk System", "Autres" & "F*ck*ng Cowboys"
& a home made compilation of Ravi Shankar, Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan remixes with some Indian & French / north African dub, most of which is absolutely captivating - I'm in.  Grin

"Ya Laymi : Arabic Reggae" by Gnawa Diffusion  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5uG3Fcm8lxs

Not really my cuppa tea, but great fun; "Rhinoceros" by Thornato ft. Gappy Ranks https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j1CoyC4VO0I

I have fallen hard for Saharan blues recently. I took a punt on the album Kidal by the Tuareg band Tamikrest about 18 months ago and it has just grown and grown on me in the interim. It has now been joined in my collection by their vinyl only live album Taksera and I am keen to delve deeper. I am not even sure what I mean by this but the music feels authentic in a way that very little modern guitar based "rock" does
RobertD
Holy expletive delighted...
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: New York City

« Reply #226 on: April 18, 2019, 08:13:40 PM »

I have fallen hard for Saharan blues recently. I took a punt on the album Kidal by the Tuareg band Tamikrest about 18 months ago and it has just grown and grown on me in the interim. It has now been joined in my collection by their vinyl only live album Taksera and I am keen to delve deeper. I am not even sure what I mean by this but the music feels authentic in a way that very little modern guitar based "rock" does

And that is why it is resonating so well. The music feels so genuine and authentic. The rawness comes from the soul, the sound comes from the heart and miles of Sahara desert. Hearing Ibrahim from Tinariwen's life story it isn't hard to understand why the music comes across that way-seeing his father dragged from their house and killed, living in camps in Algeria when Mali was at war with the Tuaregs, not to mention life in the Sahara. I wrote about Tinariwen on the blog once in terms of the water shortage. Yet, and oh yet, when the bands perform live they love sharing their culture and music and they do so with a smile on their face. Authentic indeed!

I'm just a little shy of Surf's Up and I'm deeper than Twist and Shout....Iain Matthews
Albie
or tea, if that is your cup of tea
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #227 on: April 18, 2019, 08:40:37 PM »

Brilliant CD. Stunning live if you get the chance to catch them.
Col D

Loc: South Cheshire

« Reply #228 on: April 23, 2019, 05:31:39 PM »

3 x 4 by The Bangles, The Three O'Clock, The Dream Syndicate and Rain Parade. A Paisley Underground celebration with four of its leading lights covering each others songs, wonderful stuff.
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Caer

« Reply #229 on: April 23, 2019, 06:27:51 PM »

3 x 4 by The Bangles, The Three O'Clock, The Dream Syndicate and Rain Parade. A Paisley Underground celebration with four of its leading lights covering each others songs, wonderful stuff.

Not heard it yet, but I enjoyed the piece in Shindig (or was it Record Collector)?  Just an afterthought, Col, but do you know my mate, Clive Jones' book?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/TELL-WHEN-Notes-Paisley-Underground/dp/0954617851

Once in a while, you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right...
Jules Gray
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #230 on: April 24, 2019, 10:10:45 AM »

Lee Hazlewood - The LHI Years.  Bloody brilliant.

Jules

Ian_
blazzawazzada brortewtomay
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Warwickshire

None the wiser

« Reply #231 on: April 24, 2019, 02:42:22 PM »

Steve Gunn - The unseen inbetween

Definitely one of my favourite artists of the last ten years, and his best album yet IMHO. Atmospheric, warm and melodic with superb musicianship  Cool

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tqwx0r8n3tU

The most beautiful experience we can have is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science." Albert Einstein
Col D

Loc: South Cheshire

« Reply #232 on: April 24, 2019, 04:01:36 PM »

Not heard it yet, but I enjoyed the piece in Shindig (or was it Record Collector)?  Just an afterthought, Col, but do you know my mate, Clive Jones' book?

I know of the book but have never seen a copy. Would definitely recommend 3 X 4, a special mention for the Bangles' version of The Dream Syndicate's That's What You Always Say, which sticks quite closely to the DS version but also has a nice nod to the original by Steve Wynn's previous band 15 Minutes. Good also to finally have something new from Rain Parade, albeit non-original material.
PaulT
Memory jogger
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Gloucester

« Reply #233 on: April 24, 2019, 04:35:06 PM »

Listening to a couple of recent bargains - a Ravi Shankar/Philp Glass collaboration, and the deluxe (ie extended) edition of Eddi Reader's Songs of Robbie Burns. Both rather fine...

Said the straight man, to the late man...
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #234 on: April 24, 2019, 04:46:29 PM »

I know of the book but have never seen a copy. Would definitely recommend 3 X 4, a special mention for the Bangles' version of The Dream Syndicate's That's What You Always Say, which sticks quite closely to the DS version but also has a nice nod to the original by Steve Wynn's previous band 15 Minutes. Good also to finally have something new from Rain Parade, albeit non-original material.

If you (or anyone else) wants one, let me know.  There are still some in his garage, I think.

Once in a while, you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right...
Jules Gray
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #235 on: April 24, 2019, 07:20:03 PM »

If you (or anyone else) wants one, let me know.  There are still some in his garage, I think.

I'll have one when I next have some spare dosh.

(Don't hold your breath.)

Jules

davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #236 on: April 24, 2019, 07:44:58 PM »

I'll have one when I next have some spare dosh.

(Don't hold your breath.)

Jules

Drop me a line when you want one and I'll put you in touch.

Brendan
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Barrow-in-Furness

« Reply #237 on: April 24, 2019, 10:30:42 PM »

Charles Wright & The Watts 103rd Street Rhythm Band - Express Yourself, I'm finding the funky soundtrack to my life and I'm loving it.

"I'm only a bag of Rags in an Overall"
Jules Gray
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #238 on: April 25, 2019, 09:24:00 AM »

Drop me a line when you want one and I'll put you in touch.

I actually know Clive a bit from an old forum I no longer visit.

Jules

davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #239 on: April 25, 2019, 08:46:56 PM »

The "Nature" e.p. by Modern Nature.  I mean how could I not do so after this in Shindig:

"...the Nature e.p. which is built around the Fairport meets Neu of the title track and reaches a stunning conclusion on the track 'Supernature', a magical brew of hypnotic folk and spiritual jazz, which builds  and pulses over its 11 minutes and 48 seconds before ending in a free-jazz clatter that leaves you breathless with wonder."

And that doesn't even mention the rather decent cover of Blackwaterside.  

Bloody marvellous.  It's on Spotify.

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 29   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: