TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
September 19, 2020, 09:39:08 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 47 48 [49] 50 51 ... 95   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Listening to.......  (Read 191477 times)
bassline (Mike)
the Spens is mightier with the Swarb
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Wolverhampton

« Reply #960 on: January 27, 2020, 08:38:59 AM »

I too,have been listening to Mr Mayfield lately, but it's a compilation of his stuff called Give It Up, which I got along with a Staples Singers comp, having got into a soul sort of mood.

When I've absorbed those, it's back to the acid daze of the sixties, as I have the 12 Dreams Of Dr Sardonicus and The Psychedelic Sounds of the 13th Floor Elevators awaiting.

I briefly considered listening to a bunch of albums before those in numerical order...with albums such as the Wonderstuff's Eight Legged Groove Machine, Fairport's Nine, and Steeleye's Ten Man Mop, but I don't have an album with 'eleven' in the title and it was a silly idea in the first place.

Well I never did..
Alan2
Other peole know stuff so I don't have to
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #961 on: January 27, 2020, 09:19:51 AM »

Shirley Collins : Lodestar (Domino LP, 2016).

GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #962 on: January 27, 2020, 09:53:08 AM »

I too,have been listening to Mr Mayfield lately, but it's a compilation of his stuff called Give It Up, which I got along with a Staples Singers comp, having got into a soul sort of mood.

Coincidentally I ordered a copy of the Mayfield/Staples collaboration Let's Do It Again (film soundtrack) yesterday along with the Staples' Turning Point album
Andy
Brain half the size of a planet
Global Moderator

Loc: South West Wales

Not Perfect. Never Claimed To Be.

« Reply #963 on: January 27, 2020, 12:44:52 PM »

My first exposure to Curtis Mayfield was through my brother buying an album called "First Impressions" with the group of that name. Stunning - and the first stereo record I heard.

See this album  for a selection of my photos from 2010-2019.
Shane (Skirky)
Simply looking at your dogtags
Global Moderator

« Reply #964 on: January 29, 2020, 08:31:57 PM »

A Neil Young album of decidedly dodgy provenance, but some really great performances - I’m guessing from around the time of the Freedom tour. Brilliant mix which suggests someone close to the organisation had access to the desk. Despite the title Crazy Horse are notable by their absence. Big, solid slab of vinyl too.

https://www.hhv.de/shop/en/item/neil-young-and-crazy-horse-live-in-europe-december-1989-550253

Just found out the wasp I killed yesterday was a wasp cop who was too old for this s**t and only one week away from retirement. Feel awful.
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Eardisley, Herefordshire

« Reply #965 on: January 29, 2020, 09:10:21 PM »

A Neil Young album of decidedly dodgy provenance, but some really great performances - I’m guessing from around the time of the Freedom tour. Brilliant mix which suggests someone close to the organisation had access to the desk. Despite the title Crazy Horse are notable by their absence. Big, solid slab of vinyl too.

https://www.hhv.de/shop/en/item/neil-young-and-crazy-horse-live-in-europe-december-1989-550253

That is so bloody ridiculous...as it only takes a 5 second google to ascertain (or remember) that Europe '89 was a 'solo' tour (although helped out by Poncho and Ben Keith)  Grin

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Jules Gray
Go on, groove my truffles
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Cheltenham

What makes the buzzard buzz?

« Reply #966 on: January 29, 2020, 10:19:42 PM »

That is so bloody ridiculous...as it only takes a 5 second google to ascertain (or remember) that Europe '89 was a 'solo' tour (although helped out by Poncho and Ben Keith)  Grin

Bootleggers.  As clueless today as they've always been.

Jules

Now be thankful for good things below
Nick Reg
The Dreaded
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: NEWCASTLE, STAFFS

Merry Hell are coming

« Reply #967 on: January 29, 2020, 11:13:30 PM »

The Unraveling by Drive By Truckers. Described by Uncut as the greatest American rock n roll band for at least the last 20 years running. Not quite true, I would preface that by "easily" for the last few. The lyrics are quite bleak and I would suggest that the NRA are made to listen to Thoughts and Prayers on repeat. I am a big fan of Mike Cooley but there are only 2 of his songs on this one and they are both crackers, but Patterson Hood surpasses himself on the rest. Cooleys fiery guitar makes up for his shortage of songs. If you like Neil Young's rockier side buy this one.

There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets
Brendan
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Barrow-in-Furness

« Reply #968 on: January 30, 2020, 07:24:42 PM »

On the way home from work I listened to the just like heaven, at least seven times. However Friday I'm in love makes me smile, just like heaven makes me feel happy every time I hear it, I think there are riffs, melodies and lyrics that hit me straight in my soul Grin

"I'm only a bag of Rags in an Overall"
Shankly (Peter)
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Liverpool, England

« Reply #969 on: January 30, 2020, 07:29:08 PM »

On the way home from work I listened to the just like heaven, at least seven times. However Friday I'm in love makes me smile, just like heaven makes me feel happy every time I hear it, I think there are riffs, melodies and lyrics that hit me straight in my soul Grin

The Cure did have a run of perfect pop songs around that time.
GubGub (Al)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #970 on: January 31, 2020, 12:31:12 PM »

Back in the early 80s a friend who lived in West Germany (and who was a fluent German speaker) gave me a home taped cassette of an album called Albatros by a band from East Berlin called Karat. It had actually been released in 1979 and was heir first West German release, compiling tracks from their first two East German albums. I liked it a great deal. It sounded like Obscured by Clouds era Pink Floyd crossed with what Air would later do on Moon Safari.

The album was only briefly issued on CD (though the East German originals appeared on that format after the fall of the Berlin Wall) and I have never had a copy. The other day I noticed that Sony had issued (about 18 months ago) a three disc vinyl set of the band's first three West German releases, Albatros, Schwanenkonig and Der Blaue Planet. The last of these is regarded as the band's classic and was a huge European seller in 1982, though I have never heard it until now. It was not expensive for a vinyl box. £36 for three albums in a nice box with all the original album sleeve artwork etc including postage from Germany. I was hoping for a download code too but no such luck so I have been carefully digitalising the virgin vinyl.

I have owned some of these tracks on compilations in the interim but am now happily listening to them as I originally heard them as the Albatros album.
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Eardisley, Herefordshire

« Reply #971 on: January 31, 2020, 12:41:04 PM »

Back in the early 80s a friend who lived in West Germany (and who was a fluent German speaker) gave me a home taped cassette of an album called Albatros by a band from East Berlin called Karat. It had actually been released in 1979 and was heir first West German release, compiling tracks from their first two East German albums. I liked it a great deal. It sounded like Obscured by Clouds era Pink Floyd crossed with what Air would later do on Moon Safari.

The album was only briefly issued on CD (though the East German originals appeared on that format after the fall of the Berlin Wall) and I have never had a copy. The other day I noticed that Sony had issued (about 18 months ago) a three disc vinyl set of the band's first three West German releases, Albatros, Schwanenkonig and Der Blaue Planet. The last of these is regarded as the band's classic and was a huge European seller in 1982, though I have never heard it until now. It was not expensive for a vinyl box. £36 for three albums in a nice box with all the original album sleeve artwork etc including postage from Germany. I was hoping for a download code too but no such luck so I have been carefully digitalising the virgin vinyl.

I have owned some of these tracks on compilations in the interim but am now happily listening to them as I originally heard them as the Albatros album.

Apparently, there's a 14-CD box set if you're really keen.... Wink Smiley

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
GubGub (Al)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #972 on: January 31, 2020, 01:02:41 PM »

Apparently, there's a 14-CD box set if you're really keen.... Wink Smiley

But it doesn't contain Albatros. That would be much more than I need. I have this box and a cheap Original Album Series 5 CD box, containing 5 of their pre reunification albums (but not Der Blaue Planet), that I bought in Berlin a few years back. There is a live album with a symphony orchestra that I am tempted by but that is sufficient.
Col D

Loc: South Cheshire

« Reply #973 on: January 31, 2020, 03:41:33 PM »

Smoke Fairies Darkness Brings the Wonders Home, their first for four years. A more muscular sound than any of the previous albums, they've finally captured something closer to their live sound on record. Their best since Through Low Light and Trees and quite possibly their best yet.
dog-nap (Ian)
Now you've made me peckish

« Reply #974 on: January 31, 2020, 05:40:12 PM »

the clash, a proper rock band.

They were, but (I think) a massively overrated one.  Half a C90 of outstanding material and more stodgy filler than it's possible to imagine.  

And how's this for revisionist nonsense (which I actually believe)?  Cut the Cr@p is better than Sandinista....  Wink Grin

Oh David. I've always had such respect for you. Until now!  Grin

The debut album is half a C90 on its own. London Calling is one of the greatest albums of all time. Sandinista is a curate's egg but a fascinating one. Cut The **** is a stain with a single saving grace.

There is currently a display (free) on the making of ‘London Calling’ at the Museum of London, if anyone is interested.
https://www.museumoflondon.org.uk/museum-london/whats-on/exhibitions/london-calling-40-years-clash

GubGub (Al)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #975 on: February 01, 2020, 04:10:29 PM »

After listening to a very interesting interview with the author of a new book about prog rock, I picked up a cheap second hand copy of The Best Prog Rock Album In The World Ever, mostly as a way of sampling the works of the likes of Egg, Gentle Giant, Matching Mole and Van Der Graaf Generator, all of whom have evaded me these past 50 years (even though I have some progist leanings).

After 43 years of trying I have finally found a Yes track that I like that doesn't come from Going For The One. Roundabout is the selection on this compilation.

Meanwhile Hocus Pocus by Focus remains a weird combination of genius and poppycock.
Jules Gray
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #976 on: February 01, 2020, 05:06:36 PM »

After listening to a very interesting interview with the author of a new book about prog rock, I picked up a cheap second hand copy of The Best Prog Rock Album In The World Ever, mostly as a way of sampling the works of the likes of Egg, Gentle Giant, Matching Mole and Van Der Graaf Generator, all of whom have evaded me these past 50 years (even though I have some progist leanings).

After 43 years of trying I have finally found a Yes track that I like that doesn't come from Going For The One. Roundabout is the selection on this compilation.

Meanwhile Hocus Pocus by Focus remains a weird combination of genius and poppycock.

I can believe you hadn't heard some of those bands before, because neither have I, but I'm gobsmacked (or is that Gubsmacked?) that you'd never heard Roundabout before.

Jules

GubGub (Al)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #977 on: February 01, 2020, 06:16:02 PM »

I can believe you hadn't heard some of those bands before, because neither have I, but I'm gobsmacked (or is that Gubsmacked?) that you'd never heard Roundabout before.

Jules

What album is it from? I tried a few after falling in love with GFTW but never lasted long before profound irritation with Jon Anderson's voice and lyrics set in. It is possible that I didn't get as far as this track. Maybe I am getting more tolerant in my dotage.
Jules Gray
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #978 on: February 01, 2020, 06:17:36 PM »

What album is it from?

Fragile.

Jules

Ian_
blazzawazzada brortewtomay
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Warwickshire

None the wiser

« Reply #979 on: February 01, 2020, 07:35:20 PM »

Try this (the track, not the album as a whole) for the more melodic and accessible Yes, Gub  Smileyhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtiaS8Plg8c

The most beautiful experience we can have is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science." Albert Einstein
Pages: 1 ... 47 48 [49] 50 51 ... 95   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: