TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
February 25, 2020, 06:31:11 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 43 44 [45] 46 47 ... 54   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Listening to.......  (Read 79797 times)
Bridgwit (Bridget)
I had a feeling there would be stripping involved
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: South Wales

« Reply #880 on: January 06, 2020, 03:17:24 PM »

Just picked up the first two albums by Gypsy, an early Seventies hammond heavy American prog band.

First impressions suggest I'm going to be listening to these a lot!
I only discovered them recently but I love them! Enjoy the albums  Smiley

Confusion will be my epitaph
wayne stote

« Reply #881 on: January 07, 2020, 01:14:36 PM »

Just picked up the first two albums by Gypsy, an early Seventies hammond heavy American prog band.

Always amazes me how much more music there is out there to discover.

I've been lucky enough to stumble across, or be pointed in the direction of, a bunch of bands I'd never even heard of, recently. They've all been good enough to be successful but didn't get the breaks for whatever reason. Still, it leaves some nuggets for us to unearth occasionally.
Bridgwit (Bridget)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #882 on: January 07, 2020, 02:48:44 PM »

And just discovered Liquid Tension Experiment, on my travels around YouTube. Tony Levin, most of Dream Theater playing wonderful prog.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aSU0xBGfkfg  18 minutes of prog heaven  Grin

Ancient Muse (Andy)
As nature intended
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Sometimes a redhead, always a natural blonde!

« Reply #883 on: January 07, 2020, 08:04:42 PM »

And just discovered Liquid Tension Experiment, on my travels around YouTube. Tony Levin, most of Dream Theater playing wonderful prog.

Reminded me a bit of Focus, but I guess that's the organ.

Time flies like an arrow
Fruit flies like a banana
PaulT
Memory jogger
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Gloucester

« Reply #884 on: January 08, 2020, 06:40:16 AM »

LTE's albums are ace. You'd quite possibly enjoy KTU (the Quiver album) and/or Tuner...

Said the straight man, to the late man...
wayne stote

« Reply #885 on: January 08, 2020, 11:09:09 AM »

Never really got my head around Dream Theater beyond their debut (not much of a fan of James Labrie's voice) but that was very good. Albums sent for. Many thanks for the heads up!

A couple of excellent melodic prog bands I've got into recently are:

Pattern Seeking Animals, who are essentially Spock's Beard with John Boegehold instead of Alan Morse and Ryo Okumoto. The album is full of highly addictive, Kansas-like pomp/prog. Up there with The Grand Tour as my most played record over the last year or so.

This Winter Machine, a terrifically, old fashioned "neo" prog band from Leeds. Everything is lovingly put together, from the arrangements to the artwork. Great live too.
Bridgwit (Bridget)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #886 on: January 08, 2020, 01:52:30 PM »

Never really got my head around Dream Theater beyond their debut (not much of a fan of James Labrie's voice) but that was very good. Albums sent for. Many thanks for the heads up!

A couple of excellent melodic prog bands I've got into recently are:

Pattern Seeking Animals, who are essentially Spock's Beard with John Boegehold instead of Alan Morse and Ryo Okumoto. The album is full of highly addictive, Kansas-like pomp/prog. Up there with The Grand Tour as my most played record over the last year or so.

This Winter Machine, a terrifically, old fashioned "neo" prog band from Leeds. Everything is lovingly put together, from the arrangements to the artwork. Great live too.
Thanks for the suggestions everyone! Got a lot of listening to do....

Alan2
Other peole know stuff so I don't have to
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #887 on: January 08, 2020, 03:52:30 PM »

Keep On Singing. The Thea Gilmore album using Sandy's lyrics.  I really like this, but I think there was a great divide last time it came up for discussion.
Bingers (Chris)
Day saved by donated doughnuts
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Essex

Trying to be young!

« Reply #888 on: January 08, 2020, 04:14:22 PM »

Keep On Singing. The Thea Gilmore album using Sandy's lyrics.  I really like this, but I think there was a great divide last time it came up for discussion.

Do you mean “Don’t Stop Singing” ?

Born to Run (but not very fast)
Alan2
Other peole know stuff so I don't have to
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #889 on: January 08, 2020, 09:00:16 PM »

Oops yes of course I do  Embarrassed
RobertD
Holy expletive delighted...
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: New York City

« Reply #890 on: January 08, 2020, 09:50:53 PM »

I seem to recall some of the divide was about the title rather than the content. Had a bit of a Thea Gilmore feast on the weekend and I thoroughly enjoy the album.

I'm just a little shy of Surf's Up and I'm deeper than Twist and Shout....Iain Matthews
mickf
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Barry, South Wales

« Reply #891 on: January 08, 2020, 10:06:28 PM »

I've just been listening to the latest Show of Hands CD, 'Battlefield Dancefloor.' It is, as usual, excellent. I love their version of Leonard Cohen's 'First We Take Manhattan' and Richard Shindell's 'Next Best Western' as well as the others, mostly penned by Steve Knightly, of course.

If I had all the money I've spent on drink, I'd spend it on drink!
PL (Peter)
able to create swamp magic

Loc: SW Germany

If it`s Wednesday, you survived Tuesday.

« Reply #892 on: January 09, 2020, 08:39:24 AM »

Fully agree, it's excellent.
However, on the first listening I thought it less accessible than their earlier recordings, but it sure grows on you and I am motre than pleased to have it in my collection.
Bingers (Chris)
Day saved by donated doughnuts
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Essex

Trying to be young!

« Reply #893 on: January 09, 2020, 10:00:18 AM »

I've just been listening to the latest Show of Hands CD, 'Battlefield Dancefloor.' It is, as usual, excellent. I love their version of Leonard Cohen's 'First We Take Manhattan' and Richard Shindell's 'Next Best Western' as well as the others, mostly penned by Steve Knightly, of course.

I got the CD for Christmas (amongst a few others!) but haven’t had time to listen to it yet  but will get round to it next although currently listening to Western Stars - songs from the film on vinyl  Grin

Born to Run (but not very fast)
Shane (Skirky)
Simply looking at your dogtags
Global Moderator

« Reply #894 on: January 11, 2020, 06:25:19 PM »

Clowntime is Over - a wholly unofficial Richard Thompson CD I picked up some years ago in New York. Interesting in that it features four solo tracks from when he opened for Crowded House at The Borderline (sadly doesn’t include him sitting in for some of their set) but notable for a couple of songs (‘The Way That It Shows’ and ‘Mascara Tears’) that I can’t remember turning up anywhere else.

Just found out the wasp I killed yesterday was a wasp cop who was too old for this s**t and only one week away from retirement. Feel awful.
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Caer

« Reply #895 on: January 11, 2020, 06:35:04 PM »

Clowntime is Over - a wholly unofficial Richard Thompson CD I picked up some years ago in New York. Interesting in that it features four solo tracks from when he opened for Crowded House at The Borderline (sadly doesn’t include him sitting in for some of their set) but notable for a couple of songs (‘The Way That It Shows’ and ‘Mascara Tears’) that I can’t remember turning up anywhere else.

Live you mean?  If memory serves me right they're both on Mirror Blue.

Once in a while, you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right...
GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #896 on: January 11, 2020, 07:39:33 PM »

I assume Shane means from that show. If I am remembering correctly it was partially broadcast on Radio 1 as an In Concert both RT's set and Crowded House. I recorded it off the radio at the time and hopefully still have the cassette somewhere.
Shane (Skirky)
Global Moderator

« Reply #897 on: January 11, 2020, 07:39:59 PM »

Aha. I have obviously airbrushed Mirror Blue from history, ‘Beeswing’ aside.

Just found out the wasp I killed yesterday was a wasp cop who was too old for this s**t and only one week away from retirement. Feel awful.
GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #898 on: January 11, 2020, 07:57:10 PM »

Aha. I have obviously airbrushed Mirror Blue from history, ‘Beeswing’ aside.

Have just checked and neither of those songs made the broadcast which included 1952 VBL, Now That I Am Dead, Read About Love & Don't Roll Those Bloodshot Eyes At Me.
Shane (Skirky)
Global Moderator

« Reply #899 on: January 12, 2020, 01:24:57 PM »

‘The Way That it Shows’ was clearly the designated guitar wig-out for that tour judging by the seven minute-odd version here, rather unkindly described by a Philistinical passenger as “...a nice song, followed by a five minute recording of two cats fighting in a bag.”  Grin

Pages: 1 ... 43 44 [45] 46 47 ... 54   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: