TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
November 22, 2019, 08:48:29 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 38   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Listening to.......  (Read 49542 times)
Jules Gray
Go on, groove my truffles
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Cheltenham

What makes the buzzard buzz?

« Reply #680 on: October 17, 2019, 10:20:10 PM »

The new Guided by Voices album, Sweating the Plague.  It's pretty damned proggy!

Listening to it on a sneaky download from a mate.  Can't buy any new music for a while because of financial restraints.  Just when you thought my life couldn't get any more joyless, eh?

But it's a great album, and I'm learning that hearing the music is more important than collecting the records.  To be honest, my collection has started to resemble an albatross around my neck anyway.

Christ, but I'm a cheery bugger.

Jules

Now be thankful for good things below
Alan2
Other peole know stuff so I don't have to
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #681 on: October 18, 2019, 09:08:31 AM »

The new Guided by Voices album, Sweating the Plague.  It's pretty damned proggy!

Listening to it on a sneaky download from a mate.  Can't buy any new music for a while because of financial restraints.  Just when you thought my life couldn't get any more joyless, eh?

But it's a great album, and I'm learning that hearing the music is more important than collecting the records.  To be honest, my collection has started to resemble an albatross around my neck anyway.

Christ, but I'm a cheery bugger.

Jules

The topic of just how much music you can buy and own comes up regularly on another forum I frequent. The rise of streaming comes into this discussion,  as do one's age, money constraints,  space and just how we feel about  having all of this stuff around us. Apart from streaming,  all of these fa actors apply to me. I'm at the stage of finding music I've bought only a couple of years ago but have played maybe once, sometimes not at all.

This could be the subject of a new thread, if anyone is interested.
GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #682 on: October 18, 2019, 05:36:10 PM »

A bunch of Motown, inspired by an article in today's Guardian.

Stevie Wonder's I Don't Know Why (I Love You) is an utterly extraordinary piece of music. Perfection.
Jim
Klaatu barada nikto
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: manchester

Here To Help

« Reply #683 on: October 18, 2019, 06:43:21 PM »

A bunch of Motown, inspired by an article in today's Guardian.

Stevie Wonder's I Don't Know Why (I Love You) is an utterly extraordinary piece of music. Perfection.

Amen to that bro

The Dude abides
GubGub (Al)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #684 on: October 24, 2019, 05:05:17 PM »

Arthur - The Kinks

I never had this album but decided to pick up the 2 disc 50th anniversary edition as it was inexpensive and the fillow up to the wonderful Village Green etc. I've always liked everything I have heard by The Kinks but I'm not convinced by this on first listen. It doesn't sound like a 1969 album at all. It will be interesting to see how the Dave Davies album on disc 2 compares.

Also

Fire & Fleet - June Tabor & Oysterband. This has been issued as a limited release to co-incide with their current tour (which I can't get to). The Tabor collaborations have always been my least favourite of the Oysters work and this sounds much more like her record than theirs. There is not much energy to it which is the element I love about them. This is a bit too trad folk for me. I also bought a copy as a present for someone but I'm actually not sure they will like it.
Alan2
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #685 on: October 24, 2019, 07:30:08 PM »

At the risk.of sounding clever, I find June Tabor's collaboration with the oysters the least interesting of her releases.
In spite of this I considered catching them together on the current tour.
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Caer

« Reply #686 on: October 24, 2019, 07:34:35 PM »

I'm not sure they've ever nailed it on disc.  But live, I think they're great together.

Once in a while, you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right...
RobertD
Holy expletive delighted...
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: New York City

« Reply #687 on: October 24, 2019, 09:15:55 PM »

Freedom & Rain was a nice out of the blue surprise all those years ago because I think it was an unexpected collaboration. Like the same sort of surprise when Robert Plant & Alison Krauss teamed up. June wanted to rock out and the Oysters wanted to try something new and expand the fan base a bit.  I liked it for a long time, then it went towards the seldom played in my Oysterband catalog, along with Wide Blue Yonder and Little Rock To Leipzig. When Ragged Kingdom came out it inextricably became part of the Oysters story for me. I know how many feel about June, I know the memories of 1987 at Cropredy still loom, but I have always enjoyed her own music.

In collaboration with the Oysterband again I think something special happened on Ragged Kingdom. John Jones may have taken a step back on most of the record, but when his voice does come to the fore there is a tenderness and fragility that has scarcely come out on both his solo work and with Oysterband. Most will point to Love Will Tear Us Apart, but I think the first lines he sings to Son David are absolutely beautiful and literally give me a chill every time. And it works so well because it is a duet. Additionally, Ian Telfer's fiddle never sounded so good, soaring above it all on most of the album, but especially on Fountains Flowing. So for me, yes they did nail it on Ragged Kingdom and the fact that it did get attention in more mainstream music press proves it for me. I understand Al's point about missing the rockier Oysterband. I do too, but I think the music they make now (including Ragged Kingdom) fits with the songs themselves, be it more acoustic driven or rocky.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2019, 09:39:50 PM by RobertD » Logged

I'm just a little shy of Surf's Up and I'm deeper than Twist and Shout....Iain Matthews
GubGub (Al)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #688 on: October 24, 2019, 11:47:50 PM »

I do actually like Ragged Kingdom (just not as much as some of the Oysters other work) and they were indeed fantastic on that tour. This new collection though does not even have the spark of that album. It is a mixture of new studio recordings and live cuts but apart from their great take on White Rabbit, it is all very staid and somewhat gloomy. In pacing terms there is nothing that rises above funereal (once again apart from White Rabbit). Even the live performance of Love Will Tear Us Apart is not up to the previously released versions*.

This is not a mainstream release so I am not concerned. I am sure the Oysters or JJ will be back with something wonderful, hopefully next year. I am just a bit disappointed by this.

*I was always surprised that track got so much attention on Ragged Kingdom when June & the Oysters had already released an almost identical version on the Big Session album many years previously.
Alan2
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #689 on: October 26, 2019, 03:16:29 PM »

Stealing Sheep : Into the Diamond Sun (Heavenly Recordings CD, 2012).
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #690 on: October 27, 2019, 01:47:05 PM »

Stealing Sheep : Into the Diamond Sun (Heavenly Recordings CD, 2012).

Love this.

Here I'm immersing myself in the 6 CD Hex Enduction Hour/Room to Live Box set "The Fall 1982" from Cherry Red.  Just wonderful.

Once in a while, you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right...
Bridgwit (Bridget)
I hope nobody thought they were MY sideburns
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: South Wales

« Reply #691 on: October 29, 2019, 02:02:23 PM »

The new album from The Zorbonauts - Tall Tails. Excellent!

"Zorbonauts is a new band name under which the more serious musical side of those otherwise abstract humourists, Deckchair Poets, now shelter. Thus Zorbonauts is also based upon the musical talents of Geoff Downes (Yes), Nick D’Virgilio (Big Big Train), Ollie Hannifan (Synaesthesia), Dave Meros (Spock’s Beard) and Lynden (Jerusalem)."

Confusion will be my epitaph
Alan2
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #692 on: October 29, 2019, 06:05:59 PM »

Kevin Ayers early albums on CD. (2003).
Bridgwit (Bridget)
I hope nobody thought they were MY sideburns
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: South Wales

« Reply #693 on: October 30, 2019, 01:25:18 PM »

Some Neil Young including this version of Cortez https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-XnPXL_HMA&list=RDx-XnPXL_HMA&start_radio=1 which is currently making me happy and forget what's going on outside my bubble  Smiley

Confusion will be my epitaph
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #694 on: October 30, 2019, 01:34:02 PM »

Some Neil Young including this version of Cortez https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-XnPXL_HMA&list=RDx-XnPXL_HMA&start_radio=1 which is currently making me happy and forget what's going on outside my bubble  Smiley

Great stuff.  Unlike his latest album...

GubGub (Al)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #695 on: October 30, 2019, 02:46:19 PM »

Great stuff.  Unlike his latest album...

I've only given the new one a single listen so far but my initial response was, its not great but its not terrible. There are probably individual tracks that will grow on me and others that won't. It feels as though it sits some where near Re-ac-tor in the general NY&CH catalogue.

My favourite listen of the week has been the 5.1 mix of the two Dukes of Stratosphear albums, which is just a joy especially considering that the music was completely new to me. I am not necessarily convinced by 5.1 as a way to listen to music but if you are going to do it, this is an object lesson in how.
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #696 on: October 30, 2019, 03:04:42 PM »

My favourite listen of the week has been the 5.1 mix of the two Dukes of Stratosphear albums, which is just a joy especially considering that the music was completely new to me. I am not necessarily convinced by 5.1 as a way to listen to music but if you are going to do it, this is an object lesson in how.

Did you get one of the signed ones?  Smiley

Will S
A twinset of librarians
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: near Aldbrickham, in the Royal County

« Reply #697 on: October 30, 2019, 03:08:15 PM »

Dug out Brendan Croker & The Five o'Clock Shadows self-titled album and had a listen to that on the way to work this morning.  Staying in the same sort of time period and listening to the Live at Knebworth 1990 album, with Tears for Fears, Quo, Cliff, Robert Plant, Genesis, Eric Clapton, Dire Straits, Paul McCartney and Pink Floyd.

All the diamonds in the world
That mean anything to me,
Are conjured up by wind and sunlight
Sparkling on the sea
(Bruce Cockburn)
GubGub (Al)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #698 on: October 30, 2019, 03:11:15 PM »

I did indeed. Sir John Johns was kind enough to leave his mark.
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #699 on: October 30, 2019, 03:30:59 PM »

I did indeed. Sir John Johns was kind enough to leave his mark.

Excellent work  Smiley

Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 38   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: