TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
March 02, 2021, 07:50:12 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 133   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Listening to.......  (Read 335769 times)
GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #60 on: January 30, 2019, 11:02:56 PM »

That is really impressive Al! I really must follow suit and make some unique compilations such as this. Only question I have is how is the 184 page companion book to your set coming along?  Grin

For me I finally completed a minor part of my Richard Thompson collection by finally adding Acoustic Classics II, to go with the other Acoustic releases. Taken as a whole they are enjoyable as a fan, but I think the best out of the three is the disc of rarities.

There would have to be a lot of pictures in that book. I would however be prepared to attempt an essay on how these castaway recordings represent an alternative history of Bob's career and insights into his mindset in a similar way to The Bootleg Series albums. Performing People Get Ready in 1976 for example, fully 3 years before his gospel period must surely indicate something.

I agree entirely about RT's Acoustic discs. The rarities set is the keeper with the other two being pleasant but inessential. Vol 2 is the more interesting of the two with a more imaginative selection of tracks.
Jules Gray
Go on, groove my truffles
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Cheltenham

What makes the buzzard buzz?

« Reply #61 on: January 31, 2019, 01:06:25 PM »

Just after Christmas I decided to compile a playlist/compilation CD of all the recordings that Bob Dylan has released in physical format that have not appeared on an official Bob Dylan album (I made an exception for the rare/out of print Australian Masterpieces, the Japanese Mr D's Collection 3 and the limited bonus disc of the UK Best of Bob Dylan Vol 2. There was also one single which appeared on another Dylan comp which I don't own/otherwise need so that was a slight cheat). I thought this would be about a couple of discs worth of material. Little did I know...

It turned into a bit of a project. After recourse to my own collection, Amazon Music, Ebay, Discogs and in a couple of desperate cases, YouTube and no little (unanticipated) financial investment on my part, I now have an 80 track, 6 hour, 5 disc anthology of officially released Bob that he hasn't otherwise thought to compile for his fans, stretching from 1962 to 2018. I'm not even sure this is comprehensive and it doesn't include things like his recordings for the Broadside Ballads albums in the early 60s before he was signed to Columbia. It includes covers of writers from Woody Guthrie to Gilbert Becaud to Willie Nelson to Curtis Mayfield to Lennon/McCartney and collaborations with The Band, Grateful Dead, Joan Baez, Mavis Staples and Wynton Marsalis amongst others and is going to make fascinating listening.

I want a copy - where do I sign up?

What's the track from Mr D.s Collection?

What was on the limited bonus disc of the UK Best of Bob Dylan Vol 2.?

In fact, I want to see the whole tracklist!!

Jules

Now be thankful for good things below
GubGub (Al)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #62 on: January 31, 2019, 01:17:39 PM »

Just after Christmas I decided to compile a playlist/compilation CD of all the recordings that Bob Dylan has released in physical format that have not appeared on an official Bob Dylan album (I made an exception for the rare/out of print Australian Masterpieces, the Japanese Mr D's Collection 3 and the limited bonus disc of the UK Best of Bob Dylan Vol 2. There was also one single which appeared on another Dylan comp which I don't own/otherwise need so that was a slight cheat). I thought this would be about a couple of discs worth of material. Little did I know...

It turned into a bit of a project. After recourse to my own collection, Amazon Music, Ebay, Discogs and in a couple of desperate cases, YouTube and no little (unanticipated) financial investment on my part, I now have an 80 track, 6 hour, 5 disc anthology of officially released Bob that he hasn't otherwise thought to compile for his fans, stretching from 1962 to 2018. I'm not even sure this is comprehensive and it doesn't include things like his recordings for the Broadside Ballads albums in the early 60s before he was signed to Columbia. It includes covers of writers from Woody Guthrie to Gilbert Becaud to Willie Nelson to Curtis Mayfield to Lennon/McCartney and collaborations with The Band, Grateful Dead, Joan Baez, Mavis Staples and Wynton Marsalis amongst others and is going to make fascinating listening.

I want a copy - where do I sign up?

What's the track from Mr D.s Collection?

What was on the limited bonus disc of the UK Best of Bob Dylan Vol 2.?

In fact, I want to see the whole tracklist!!

Jules

I will IM you the track list later when I get home from work.

Mr D's Collection 3 picked up a number of stray tracks in Japan. A few of them (George Jackson (Acoustic), Dead Man Dead Man for example) have subsequently appeared on other Dylan collections. The rest are singles, B sides and soundtrack selections that I have picked up from their original sources for my anthology.

The UK Best of Bob Vol 2 bonus tracks are live recordings of Blowin In The Wind and Highlands
Jules Gray
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #63 on: January 31, 2019, 02:03:52 PM »

I will IM you the track list later when I get home from work.

Thanks, Gub.

Jules

Jules Gray
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #64 on: January 31, 2019, 04:58:56 PM »

Tom Verlaine - Dreamtime
Basil Kirchin - Abstractions of the Industrial North
Guided by Voices - Zeppelin over China

Jules

Jim
Klaatu barada nikto
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: manchester

Here To Help

« Reply #65 on: February 01, 2019, 03:50:31 PM »

Encore by The Specials.
I wasnt sure how it would stack up with the original records but its a great cd and the greatest hits live cd is a belter.

The Dude abides
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Caer

« Reply #66 on: February 01, 2019, 04:08:25 PM »

Encore by The Specials.
I wasnt sure how it would stack up with the original records but its a great cd and the greatest hits live cd is a belter.

I've just read an interview with them in Big Issue.  Is it just the 3 in the band now then?

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Bingers (Chris)
Day saved by donated doughnuts
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Essex

Trying to be young!

« Reply #67 on: February 01, 2019, 04:18:56 PM »

Actually there are 9 but only 3 ‘originals’ namely Lynval Golding, Horace Panter (aka Sir Horace Gentleman) and Terry Hall. Also Steve Cradock from Ocean Colour Scene, Gary Powell from The Libertines and 4 others

Born to Run (but not very fast)
Will S
A twinset of librarians
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: near Aldbrickham, in the Royal County

« Reply #68 on: February 01, 2019, 04:41:06 PM »

Fairport - Come All Ye (the box set).  I'd forgotten the music tracks from The Man They Couldn't Hang were on there.  As well as the less impressive David Rea period tracks.

All the diamonds in the world
That mean anything to me,
Are conjured up by wind and sunlight
Sparkling on the sea
(Bruce Cockburn)
Col D

Loc: South Cheshire

« Reply #69 on: February 02, 2019, 09:39:58 AM »

The Bevis Frond - We're Your Friends, Man. First Bevis album for three years and it's wonderful, twenty tracks over 2 CDs and the quality doesn't wane once. Up there with their best I would say.

Echo and the Bunnymen - The Stars, The Ocean & The Moon. Finally picked this up in the HMV sale for £4.99, more to keep my Bunnymen collection complete than anything else. Not sure why they've gone down the route of re-recording old material. Some of the new arrangements work well enough but don't improve on the originals and Will Sergeant seems to be taking a backseat most of the time, you hardly notice he's there. One that will get a couple more plays and then spend the rest of its life on the shelf I imagine.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2019, 10:01:52 AM by Col D » Logged
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Caer

« Reply #70 on: February 02, 2019, 03:59:14 PM »

The Bevis Frond - We're Your Friends, Man. First Bevis album for three years and it's wonderful, twenty tracks over 2 CDs and the quality doesn't wane once. Up there with their best I would say.

Going to the Liverpool gig, Col?

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Col D

Loc: South Cheshire

« Reply #71 on: February 03, 2019, 09:41:21 AM »

Going to the Liverpool gig, Col?

Definitely.
Bridgwit (Bridget)
I had a feeling there would be stripping involved
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: South Wales

« Reply #72 on: February 04, 2019, 12:31:18 PM »

Encore by The Specials.
Just bought this on Amazon for a tenner on the strength of your post Jim! Should arrive later today  Smiley  

Never look down on anyone
Unless you're helping them up
Bingers (Chris)
Day saved by donated doughnuts
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Essex

Trying to be young!

« Reply #73 on: February 04, 2019, 03:07:58 PM »

Encore by The Specials.
Just bought this on Amazon for a tenner on the strength of your post Jim! Should arrive later today  Smiley  

I’ve done exactly the same!  Grin

Born to Run (but not very fast)
Jim
Klaatu barada nikto
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: manchester

Here To Help

« Reply #74 on: February 04, 2019, 06:44:16 PM »

Encore by The Specials.

I’ve done exactly the same!  Grin

After a couple more listenings over the weekend, i have to say i love it, so should you.

The Dude abides
Jules Gray
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #75 on: February 04, 2019, 11:34:11 PM »

Paul Simon, self-titled.  Never heard this before.  Surprisingly low-key.  Good though.

Jules

GubGub (Al)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #76 on: February 04, 2019, 11:45:53 PM »

Paul Simon, self-titled.  Never heard this before.  Surprisingly low-key.  Good though.

Jules

Better than good. The first three (post S&G) Paul Simon solo albums are terrific. The next three are not too shabby either.
Jules Gray
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #77 on: February 05, 2019, 10:32:50 AM »

Better than good. The first three (post S&G) Paul Simon solo albums are terrific. The next three are not too shabby either.

As I said, first listen.  I was mostly struck by how uncommercial most of it sounded.

Jules

GubGub (Al)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #78 on: February 05, 2019, 12:49:24 PM »

As I said, first listen.  I was mostly struck by how uncommercial most of it sounded.

Jules

I think he has always been underrated for how musically adventurous his solo career has been. Graceland's exploration of African rhythms gets all the attention but he was always exploring different sounds and rhythms and combining them with deeply literate lyrics. Duncan from that first album is a prime example. Later in his career an album like Rhythm Of The Saints is hugely uncommercial and yet was a UK number 1 (I think). The one where the experimentation failed to find an audience was Hearts & Bones but for my money it contains several of his best songs.
Jules Gray
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #79 on: February 05, 2019, 03:55:53 PM »

I think he has always been underrated for how musically adventurous his solo career has been. Graceland's exploration of African rhythms gets all the attention but he was always exploring different sounds and rhythms and combining them with deeply literate lyrics. Duncan from that first album is a prime example. Later in his career an album like Rhythm Of The Saints is hugely uncommercial and yet was a UK number 1 (I think). The one where the experimentation failed to find an audience was Hearts & Bones but for my money it contains several of his best songs.

All of this is undoubtedly true.  Sales of The Rhythm Of The Saints album being no doubt largely due to the success of its predecessor.

Jules

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 133   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: