TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
November 22, 2019, 06:10:37 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 38   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Listening to.......  (Read 49517 times)
Andy Tuck
A creme egg moment
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Leicester

Dolphins are Evil They Eat Kittens...

« Reply #560 on: August 20, 2019, 06:26:30 PM »

High Romance the new album from Emily Mae Winters. If there is any justice she should break in to the big time.

Still listening to the telepathic pirate radio show from the flying teapot.....

http://www.fortytenthpromotions.co.uk/
Ian_
blazzawazzada brortewtomay
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Warwickshire

None the wiser

« Reply #561 on: August 20, 2019, 08:07:10 PM »

Anyone familiar with a singer-guitarist called Henry Parker? I've just purchased his album 'Silent Spring' through Bandcamp. Lovely stuff to my old ears. Vocal delivery a bit like Ryley Walker  Smiley

https://henryparker.bandcamp.com/album/silent-spring

From Henry's website "A devoted guitarist from the West Yorkshire town of Bingley, Henry Parker plays with an intricate finger-picking style that brings to mind the late 60’s folk, psych and progressive rock scenes, with influence drawn from the likes of Bert Jansch, Nick Drake, Pentangle and Fairport Convention. His songwriting lyrically entwines landscapes, people and politics with roots that run deep into the traditional folk songs of England."

Henry's other half is from Hull , Katie Spencer , who like myself is a huge fan of John Martyn and has released her first CD utilising ex players from JM's band. Katie and Henry are both great in their own ways and deserve a wider audience

Thanks Peter. Henry just sent me an email thanking me for buying his cd.....which is nice  Cheesy

The most beautiful experience we can have is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science." Albert Einstein
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Caer

« Reply #562 on: August 20, 2019, 08:50:10 PM »

Interesting and impressive.  I've just bought the cassette...which is the same price as the download which you also get.  Which is odd.  But there you are!

Anyone familiar with a singer-guitarist called Henry Parker? I've just purchased his album 'Silent Spring' through Bandcamp. Lovely stuff to my old ears. Vocal delivery a bit like Ryley Walker  Smiley

https://henryparker.bandcamp.com/album/silent-spring

From Henry's website "A devoted guitarist from the West Yorkshire town of Bingley, Henry Parker plays with an intricate finger-picking style that brings to mind the late 60’s folk, psych and progressive rock scenes, with influence drawn from the likes of Bert Jansch, Nick Drake, Pentangle and Fairport Convention. His songwriting lyrically entwines landscapes, people and politics with roots that run deep into the traditional folk songs of England."

Henry's other half is from Hull , Katie Spencer , who like myself is a huge fan of John Martyn and has released her first CD utilising ex players from JM's band. Katie and Henry are both great in their own ways and deserve a wider audience

Thanks Peter. Henry just sent me an email thanking me for buying his cd.....which is nice  Cheesy

Once in a while, you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right...
PaulT
Memory jogger
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Gloucester

« Reply #563 on: August 22, 2019, 04:57:02 PM »

June Tabor & the Oyster Band "Freedom and Rain". Picked up for £3 today from Oxfam shop; I had this on cassette back when it was released, but never somehow got round to buying the CD. Duly rectified - and what a fine album it is!

Said the straight man, to the late man...
Will S
A twinset of librarians
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: near Aldbrickham, in the Royal County

« Reply #564 on: August 22, 2019, 09:07:23 PM »

It is indeed.  Would certainly be hovering around my top 10 folk/rock albums

All the diamonds in the world
That mean anything to me,
Are conjured up by wind and sunlight
Sparkling on the sea
(Bruce Cockburn)
RobertD
Holy expletive delighted...
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: New York City

« Reply #565 on: August 23, 2019, 02:48:01 PM »

Various bits of Paul Brady. Prompted by a chapter in Joseph O'Connors's wonderful book Star Of The Sea in which one of the characters cleverly becomes the writer of the ballad Arthur McBride. I have never read O'Connor before but his description of the character's working process of writing the ballad is the single best analysis I have ever read be it fiction or non-fiction. Eloquent analysis of the structure, the 'hook' and insight involved. Sure, O'Connor had the benefit of knowing the song and working backwards, but someone did start the song off at some point initially, and that is what makes it utterly believable. So after reading it I simply had to play Paul Brady's version, which is my favorite. Carthy & Swarbrick's version, as well as Andy Irvine's with Planxty are solid too of course, but my favorite is Brady's.

I'm just a little shy of Surf's Up and I'm deeper than Twist and Shout....Iain Matthews
Bingers (Chris)
Day saved by donated doughnuts
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Essex

Trying to be young!

« Reply #566 on: August 23, 2019, 03:03:12 PM »

It is fairly obvious that I’m a massive Bruce Springsteen fan and having watched the adulatory film “Blinded by the Light” last night (a well-told tale of young fandom, discovery and family and social tensions set in the 1980s with only 2 bits that grated with me where they tried to turn the story into a musical (ugh!)), I’m listening to my well-worn vinyl copies of Greeting from Asbury Park, NJ, Born to Run, Darkness on the Edge of Town, The River and Born in the USA (songs from these 5 albums having featured in the film) all over again  Grin

Born to Run (but not very fast)
RobertD
Holy expletive delighted...
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: New York City

« Reply #567 on: August 30, 2019, 02:19:20 PM »

Raye Zaragoza-Fight For You. I saw Raye open for Dar Williams at the start of the year. I was unfamiliar with her at the time but have set that to right. Wonderful songwriter with an expressive voice. Just when you think the song is going one way, her voice changes and she takes it someplace else. I love it when that happens. Definitely a name to watch out for.

I'm just a little shy of Surf's Up and I'm deeper than Twist and Shout....Iain Matthews
Shane (Skirky)
Simply looking at your dogtags
Global Moderator

« Reply #568 on: August 30, 2019, 03:24:35 PM »

John and Chris Leslie - The Ship of Time. Once he gives up the day job that lad could go places, I reckon.  Fez

Just found out the wasp I killed yesterday was a wasp cop who was too old for this s**t and only one week away from retirement. Feel awful.
PaulT
Memory jogger
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #569 on: August 31, 2019, 11:38:25 AM »

For the first time in a few years, I started playing Hawkwind's Space Ritual album. I now find it almost unlistenable, especially the spoken word sections, where dear old Bob Calvert's rather hammy accent reminds me too much of Jacob Rees-Mogg. I bought the CD only because I was at the Liverpool Stadium gig. Another destined for my local charity shop...

Alan2
Other peole know stuff so I don't have to
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #570 on: August 31, 2019, 03:18:35 PM »

Fuschia  : Fuschia  (Fruits de Mer 2LP, coloured vinyl, 2018).
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #571 on: August 31, 2019, 08:19:40 PM »

Fuschia  : Fuschia  (Fruits de Mer 2LP, coloured vinyl, 2018).

Bloody great, isn't it?

Once in a while, you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right...
PaulT
Memory jogger
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #572 on: August 31, 2019, 09:06:58 PM »

Some connection to Mervyn Peake? I have a vague recollection of an album sleeve... Early 70s?

Alan2
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #573 on: September 04, 2019, 04:06:24 PM »

Some connection to Mervyn Peake? I have a vague recollection of an album sleeve... Early 70s?

Yes and yes. It's one of those very rare LPs that actually is quite good. Folk/classical/rock hybrid.

https://www.discogs.com/Fuchsia-Fuchsia/release/2246292
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #574 on: September 04, 2019, 05:22:14 PM »

Yes and yes. It's one of those very rare LPs that actually is quite good. Folk/classical/rock hybrid.

Far more reasonably priced (and very fine sounding) reissue... https://www.discogs.com/Fuchsia-Fuchsia/release/12436502

Alan2
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #575 on: September 05, 2019, 09:19:38 AM »

Far more reasonably priced (and very fine sounding) reissue... https://www.discogs.com/Fuchsia-Fuchsia/release/12436502

Yes, a nice package. Trouble is I've nothing to watch the dvd on  Grin
Bingers (Chris)
Day saved by donated doughnuts
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Essex

Trying to be young!

« Reply #576 on: September 05, 2019, 10:26:40 AM »

...and you can get the CD on Amazon for £23

Born to Run (but not very fast)
StephenB
something about the grinding beat

Loc: Blackpudlian exiled in Ireland

Some boy to be one boy - I should have been twins

« Reply #577 on: September 05, 2019, 10:40:30 AM »

"Yes, a nice package. Trouble is I've nothing to watch the dvd on"

Do you not have any chairs?
 Huh  Wink

If I could be any animal I wanted...
there'd be something really heavy going on.
Alan2
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #578 on: September 05, 2019, 04:01:07 PM »

...and you can get the CD on Amazon for £23

I've a spare copy of the CD selling on amazon for about half that, if anyone is interested. Alan55. Or less on  here if you want to pm me.  Cool
Bridgwit (Bridget)
I hope nobody thought they were MY sideburns
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: South Wales

« Reply #579 on: September 06, 2019, 07:56:36 AM »

This https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HxExYZfbKAM Fairport in Oslo. Currently enjoying Sloth  Cheesy

Following which I will listen to Gottle o' Geer. Because I've never heard it. Seriously!  Shocked

Confusion will be my epitaph
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 38   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: