TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
September 20, 2021, 07:27:54 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 166   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Listening to.......  (Read 521266 times)
Col D

Loc: South Cheshire

« Reply #520 on: August 03, 2019, 01:54:47 PM »

Ian McNabb - Merseybeast A Musical Memoir. I missed out on the print version of Ian's autobiography but this audiobook on a USB stick in a nattty little wooden box is a more than adequate substititue for a very reasonable £10. Over nine hours of McNabb relating tales of sex, drugs, rock and roll, bad behaviour and countless missed opportunities. He's not shy of owning up to his own shortcomings or airing his often less than glowing opinions on former bandmates either, a refreshing change from the usual sanitised music (auto)biogs.

The Left Outsides - A Place to Hide. Live album from their Robyn Hitchcock support slot at The Betsey Trotwood last year.
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: South Shropshire

« Reply #521 on: August 04, 2019, 01:29:57 PM »

Ian McNabb - Merseybeast A Musical Memoir. I missed out on the print version of Ian's autobiography but this audiobook on a USB stick in a nattty little wooden box is a more than adequate substititue for a very reasonable £10. Over nine hours of McNabb relating tales of sex, drugs, rock and roll, bad behaviour and countless missed opportunities. He's not shy of owning up to his own shortcomings or airing his often less than glowing opinions on former bandmates either, a refreshing change from the usual sanitised music (auto)biogs.

The Left Outsides - A Place to Hide. Live album from their Robyn Hitchcock support slot at The Betsey Trotwood last year.

Did you get one of the boxes?  I was all set up ready to go, and then my boss came in talking shop at me!  By the time I got on to it (09:08) they'd (all 12 of them) all gone.  Harumph.  It sounds great though...

I've picked up two copies of the Merseybeast book cheaply in charity shops in Liverpool recently (which is a bit odd, I'd have thought) - I read one and then sold them both on.  I can imagine hearing the dark deeds in his own voice is rather fun (even though I'm a bit semi-detached from him these days as some of his ideas are rather off/odd, even for me).

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Col D

« Reply #522 on: August 04, 2019, 04:02:16 PM »

Did you get one of the boxes? †I was all set up ready to go, and then my boss came in talking shop at me! †By the time I got on to it (09:08) they'd (all 12 of them) all gone. †Harumph. †It sounds great though...

Didn't get one sadly, circumstances dictated I couldn't be at home when they went on sale, or anywhere with access to the net until later in the day, so I'd already resigned myself to missing out.
Alan2
Other peole know stuff so I don't have to
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #523 on: August 08, 2019, 03:34:37 PM »

Ian Hunter  : Once Bitten Twice Shy (Columbia 2CD 2000).

Mott the Hoople boxed set lined up for tonight and following nights. Don't think I've played it since an initial airing when i bought it, on release.
GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #524 on: August 10, 2019, 11:25:20 AM »

Fairport's fantastic Cropredy set from 2012.

Swarb, Jerry, Maart and the last time I was there too.
Bridgwit (Bridget)
I had a feeling there would be stripping involved
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: South Wales

« Reply #525 on: August 11, 2019, 07:10:00 AM »

Fairport's fantastic Cropredy set from 2012.

Swarb, Jerry, Maart and the last time I was there too.
We decided not to go that year  Sad not my best decision!

Never look down on anyone
Unless you're helping them up
GubGub (Al)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #526 on: August 15, 2019, 01:44:06 PM »

Amazon kindly sent me a £5 voucher towards the cost of a vinyl record so I went looking for something reasonably inexpensive to spend it on. I settled for the Bennett, Wilson, Poole album (£10 after the discount).

I am unfamiliar with the work of any of these gentlemen, though I think I did once see Danny & The Champions of the World at a festival once. I was attracted by the CSNY comparisons and that influence is definitely audible along with the Byrds but what this album reminds me of more than anything is The Bangles and a bit of Cosmic Rough Riders. That is no bad thing. It is a fine record of lush jangly rock and I like it a lot.
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: South Shropshire

« Reply #527 on: August 15, 2019, 05:15:20 PM »

Amazon kindly sent me a £5 voucher towards the cost of a vinyl record so I went looking for something reasonably inexpensive to spend it on. I settled for the Bennett, Wilson, Poole album (£10 after the discount).

I am unfamiliar with the work of any of these gentlemen, though I think I did once see Danny & The Champions of the World at a festival once. I was attracted by the CSNY comparisons and that influence is definitely audible along with the Byrds but what this album reminds me of more than anything is The Bangles and a bit of Cosmic Rough Riders. That is no bad thing. It is a fine record of lush jangly rock and I like it a lot.

My advice would be to focus on the great Tony Poole and check out Starry Eyed and Laughing.  There is no possible way on earth you (knowing what I do of your musical tastes, Al) could fail to love his 70's outfit.

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Will S
A twinset of librarians
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: in deepest Devon

« Reply #528 on: August 15, 2019, 08:01:19 PM »

I have been listening to Tide Lines' album Dreams We Never Lost and EP Let's Make Tonight, and if you liked their performance at Cropredy, they have captured their sound well on both.  Much recommended!

All the diamonds in the world
That mean anything to me,
Are conjured up by wind and sunlight
Sparkling on the sea
(Bruce Cockburn)
GubGub (Al)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #529 on: August 15, 2019, 09:56:14 PM »

My advice would be to focus on the great Tony Poole and check out Starry Eyed and Laughing. †There is no possible way on earth you (knowing what I do of your musical tastes, Al) could fail to love his 70's outfit.

Thanks. I will try and do that, though I have just looked and their stuff seems pretty pricey to get hold of at the moment.

Meanwhile, today is the 50th anniversary of the first day of Woodstock. I couldn't afford the 38 disc set so I am listening to the first two discs of the 10 disc set, which covers the first day/night. Discs 3-6 tomorrow.
Bingers (Chris)
Day saved by donated doughnuts
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Essex

Trying to be young!

« Reply #530 on: August 15, 2019, 10:17:30 PM »

Iím just listening to the 6 disc Woodstock set which I got 10 years ago celebrating the 40th anniversary which covers the essentials and is far more comprehensive than the original vinyl versions (vols 1 & 2) which Iíve listened to many times

Born to Run (but not very fast)
Albie
or tea, if that is your cup of tea
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #531 on: August 15, 2019, 11:10:53 PM »

Did I see them at Cropredy a few years ago or have I imagined it and I saw them somewhere else? I think it might have been the same year the Dunwells played. Or not.
GubGub (Al)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #532 on: August 15, 2019, 11:48:54 PM »

Did I see them at Cropredy a few years ago or have I imagined it and I saw them somewhere else? I think it might have been the same year the Dunwells played. Or not.

It seems they played in 2013. I wasn't there that year. I have a suspicion that they might have played at a Big Session festival but I may be wrong.
Adam
I'm looking at you, Cool Cat!
Folkcorp Guru

I'm a llama!

« Reply #533 on: August 16, 2019, 08:40:01 AM »

Frank Turner - no mans land. Just out today, and on first listen it is a very strong record. Itís a bit of a departure for Mr T, whose songs are usually autobiographical, and tells the story of various historical woman whose lives have largely been forgotten. Itís very lyrical and melodic, and Iím looking forward to further listens.
GubGub (Al)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #534 on: August 16, 2019, 10:18:02 AM »

Woodstock Day 2

Quill
Country Joe McDonald
Santana
John Sebastian
Keef Hartley Band
The Incredible String Band
Canned Heat
Mountain
Grateful Dead
Creedence Clearwater Revival
Janis Joplin
Sly & The Family Stone
The Who
Jefferson Airplane
Albie
or tea, if that is your cup of tea
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #535 on: August 16, 2019, 10:33:43 AM »

It seems they played in 2013. I wasn't there that year. I have a suspicion that they might have played at a Big Session festival but I may be wrong.

Right, thanks, that was the Dunwells year then. It was a good Croppers that year, iirc, and dry.
Col D

« Reply #536 on: August 16, 2019, 11:47:57 AM »

Also check out The Dreaming Spires, Robin and Joe Bennett's other band. One mini and two full albums so far which are all excellent, their second Searching for the Supertruth is particularly good, definitely one of my top albums of the last few years. They're not particularly active at the moment as the three members make up three fifths of Bennett Wilson Poole but will gear up again when BWP have some downtime. Robin Bennett's previous band Goldrush are also worth investigating, I think their four albums are probably out of print now but are still fairly easy to find new.

Here's Dusty in Memphis from the second Dreaming Spires album

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yzjZoYl47Uk&list=RDEMxciJca-DFpJ86PH5bJBRyA&index=2
Col D

« Reply #537 on: August 16, 2019, 11:58:08 AM »

Thanks. I will try and do that, though I have just looked and their stuff seems pretty pricey to get hold of at the moment.

Sony Japan have reissued both their albums recently. I did mention this to Tony Poole recently and he was unaware of it, so it's clearly been done without the band's approval but they're both nicely done and can be picked up online for around £15 each, which isn't too bad for Japanese imports I guess. Tony has also put together two additional albums of outtakes and radio sessions which you can get from their website or at BWP gigs.

http://www.starryeyedandlaughing.com/Starry_Sales.htm
RobertD
Holy expletive delighted...
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: New York City

« Reply #538 on: August 16, 2019, 03:06:40 PM »

Not just at the moment, but this week has seen steady play of some CD's I picked up in Ireland last week, a mix of some newer and older filling in missing gaps in the collection sort of thing. So its been-

Horslips-Roll Back. I really like this collection of Horslips 'unplugged'. The songs sound great in this format.

Jack Lukeman-Burn On. This is an entire album of Randy Newman songs. I don't see Jack L mentioned much on this forum but he is one seriously good singer with a powerful voice. I'm not familiar with much of Newman's catalog but I do know several of these songs. The arrangements on this are enjoyable, though at 18 tracks the attention does wane a little bit towards the end.

Planxty-Live 2004. From the reunion shows. Thoroughly enjoyable, and that merge between Raggle Taggle Gypsy and Tabhair Dom Do Lamh is as seamless and perfect as ever.

Talking of Planxty, my uncle (and huge Christy Moore fan) was playing Christy's recent effort Lily in the car from Donegal to Dublin and I enjoyed it so picked a copy up for myself. About what you'd expect from a Christy Moore album, which is not meant to sound negative. Tasteful songs and arrangements, sung the way only Christy can.

Next our own Jude's lovely, lovely Earth Is Sleeping. Utterly charming collection of songs and I look forward to listening again, sleeve in front of me reading the notes and lyrics in full this weekend.

Finally, a wonderful project called Allt from Julie Fowlis, Eamon Doorley, Zoe Conway, and John McIntyre. It is a collection of new and traditional Scottish and Irish songs/tunes & poems. Very interesting to hear the two cultures side by side and in collaboration on the same recording. And obviously the more Julie Fowlis singing the better the world is....a great singer.

I'm just a little shy of Surf's Up and I'm deeper than Twist and Shout....Iain Matthews
GubGub (Al)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #539 on: August 17, 2019, 10:35:07 AM »

WXPN Radio from Pennsylvania (available in the UK via Internet Radio and streaming services). They are playing the whole of the Woodstock Festival in real time.

The Who took the stage at 5am (EST) on 17th August which is 10am UK time. They are currently half way through their set and Pete has just kicked Abbie Hoffman off the stage.

Jefferson Airplane are up next to see in the dawn.
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 166   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: