TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
March 08, 2021, 05:56:38 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 134   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Listening to.......  (Read 339186 times)
blagden
Money for
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: South God's Own Country

I am a rebel - whilst ever my wife will let me be!

« Reply #40 on: January 21, 2019, 08:02:38 PM »

The Concert For New York which took place in October following 9/11 in 2001, everybody who has ever had some connection with New York is on there except Springsteen - any ideas why?

Don't know what date it was on, but this might help.. http://brucebase.wikidot.com/2001

Thanks for this and from it it doesn't look like he gigged at all in 2001, the concert took place on October 20th of that year?
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Caer

« Reply #41 on: January 21, 2019, 09:05:34 PM »

The Concert For New York which took place in October following 9/11 in 2001, everybody who has ever had some connection with New York is on there except Springsteen - any ideas why?

Don't know what date it was on, but this might help.. http://brucebase.wikidot.com/2001

Thanks for this and from it it doesn't look like he gigged at all in 2001, the concert took place on October 20th of that year?

Not sure what you're looking at, but I'm seeing this (which only deepens the mystery though):

2001-10-18 - COUNT BASIE THEATRE, RED BANK, NJ

Soundcheck: BOBBY JEAN / THUNDER ROAD

TIGER ROSE (with Sonny Burgess and the Sun Rhythm Section) / ALL JUST TO GET TO YOU (with Joe Ely) / LIGHT OF DAY (with Joan Jett) / BOBBY JEAN / MY CITY OF RUINS (with the Alliance Singers) / LAND OF HOPE AND DREAMS (with the Alliance Singers) / THUNDER ROAD / STAND BY ME (with all)

Alliance of Neighbors benefit concert with, as well as Bruce, Bon Jovi, Phoebe Snow, Joe Ely, and more. Garry Tallent, the night's musical director, Max Weinberg, and Patti Scialfa are all present. Members of the Pilgrim Baptist Church Celestial Choir of Red Bank, including The Alliance Singers, featuring Michelle Moore, participate in Bruce's set. The shows are to benefit local victims of the September 11 tragedy. The two shows were originally scheduled for October 19 and 20, but then moved up a day to October 18 and 19 respectively. Tickets for the show on the 20th were honoured on the 18th. The soundcheck songs are both solo acoustic.

Some audience tape exists.

00Photo-32.png00Ticket-32.png00Video-32.png00Bootleg-32.png

2001-10-19 - COUNT BASIE THEATRE, RED BANK, NJ

TIGER ROSE (with Sonny Burgess and the Sun Rhythm Section) / WE WANNA BOOGIE (with Sonny Burgess and the Sun Rhythm Section) / ALL JUST TO GET TO YOU (with Joe Ely) / LIGHT OF DAY (with Joan Jett) / BOBBY JEAN / MY CITY OF RUINS (with the Alliance Singers) / LAND OF HOPE AND DREAMS (with the Alliance Singers) / THUNDER ROAD / STAND BY ME (with all)

Second night of the Alliance of Neighbors benefit concerts. The concert was broadcast live on local cable TV channel CN8. Garry Tallent, the night's musical director, Max Weinberg, and Patti Scialfa are all present.

Audience tape and TV soundboard feed, and a complete pro-shot DVD.

00Photo-32.png00Ticket-32.png00Story-32.png00Video-32.png00Audio-32.png00Bootleg-32.png

2001-10-20 - COUNT BASIE THEATRE, RED BANK, NJ

Rescheduled to October 18. Tickets for the show on the 20th were honoured on the 18th.

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Shane (Skirky)
Simply looking at your dogtags
Global Moderator

« Reply #42 on: January 21, 2019, 09:32:05 PM »

Two theories. One; He just wasn’t asked. Two; That was around the time of ‘American Skin (41 Shots)’ and so it might have been thought tactful to not appear (see point one).

Just found out the wasp I killed yesterday was a wasp cop who was too old for this s**t and only one week away from retirement. Feel awful.
GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #43 on: January 21, 2019, 09:43:01 PM »

Two theories. One; He just wasn’t asked. Two; That was around the time of ‘American Skin (41 Shots)’ and so it might have been thought tactful to not appear (see point one).

Not sure the second theory entirely holds up, though he might have still felt sensitive about playing to a large number of NYPD officers. He led off the telethon in the immediate aftermath of the event to raise funds for victims, a couple of weeks earlier, where he debuted the song My City In Ruins (which was not actually about 9/11). Perhaps, having made that public show of support, he didn't feel it was appropriate to hog the limelight. He does appear to have cancelled his October 20 show in New Jersey so that it did not pull attention from the charity event, possibly to enable his fans to watch it as it was shown live on TV.
Bridgwit (Bridget)
I had a feeling there would be stripping involved
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: South Wales

« Reply #44 on: January 25, 2019, 10:33:43 AM »

Caitlin Moran reading her memoirs "How To Be A Woman", part of the Riot Girls series on Radio 4.

I'm new to Ms Moran, and I wish I'd found her before. She's quite brilliant and I totally identify with her Smiley

Never look down on anyone
Unless you're helping them up
Alan2
Other peole know stuff so I don't have to
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #45 on: January 25, 2019, 12:08:28 PM »

Caitlin Moran reading her memoirs "How To Be A Woman", part of the Riot Girls series on Radio 4.

I'm new to Ms Moran, and I wish I'd found her before. She's quite brilliant and I totally identify with her Smiley

Her novels are quite fun  too.
Alan2
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #46 on: January 25, 2019, 12:09:21 PM »

Jethro Tull : Best of Acoustic  (CD, 2007).

I've got to really like this - nice selection of tracks.
Bridgwit (Bridget)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #47 on: January 25, 2019, 12:36:10 PM »

Yes I intend to investigate. She's been recommended to me more times than I can remember, I just haven't got around to doing anything about it yet!

Brendan
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Barrow-in-Furness

« Reply #48 on: January 25, 2019, 02:24:21 PM »

Yes I intend to investigate. She's been recommended to me more times than I can remember, I just haven't got around to doing anything about it yet!

I read a couple of her books, don't know if I am the target audience but really enjoyed what I read.

"I'm only a bag of Rags in an Overall"
bassline (Mike)
the Spens is mightier with the Swarb
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Wolverhampton

« Reply #49 on: January 25, 2019, 04:35:04 PM »

I knew her before she was what she is now, when she was still what she was then. But she might still be what she was then, still, only more well known.

Well I never did..
Nick
Calendar Boy
Administrator

Loc: South Oxon

Block and Chip

« Reply #50 on: January 28, 2019, 10:06:27 AM »

Can I just say, Songs From The Victorious City by Jaz Coleman and Anne Dudley is still pretty much flawless to these ears. Absolutely ideal sounds to accompany a frosty, dawn train ride along the Thames Valley.

Cheers

Nick

You've got questions, we've got assumptions
Alan2
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #51 on: January 28, 2019, 11:43:54 AM »

Camel : Moonmadness (Music on Vinyl LP).
PaulT
Memory jogger
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Gloucester

« Reply #52 on: January 28, 2019, 08:04:22 PM »

Can I just say, Songs From The Victorious City by Jaz Coleman and Anne Dudley is still pretty much flawless to these ears. Absolutely ideal sounds to accompany a frosty, dawn train ride along the Thames Valley.

Cheers

Nick

I had a copy of that on cassette some time ago. Must see if I can pick up a CD version (or download it if it's out of print)

Said the straight man, to the late man...
GubGub (Al)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #53 on: January 30, 2019, 10:32:09 AM »

Just after Christmas I decided to compile a playlist/compilation CD of all the recordings that Bob Dylan has released in physical format that have not appeared on an official Bob Dylan album (I made an exception for the rare/out of print Australian Masterpieces, the Japanese Mr D's Collection 3 and the limited bonus disc of the UK Best of Bob Dylan Vol 2. There was also one single which appeared on another Dylan comp which I don't own/otherwise need so that was a slight cheat). I thought this would be about a couple of discs worth of material. Little did I know...

It turned into a bit of a project. After recourse to my own collection, Amazon Music, Ebay, Discogs and in a couple of desperate cases, YouTube and no little (unanticipated) financial investment on my part, I now have an 80 track, 6 hour, 5 disc anthology of officially released Bob that he hasn't otherwise thought to compile for his fans, stretching from 1962 to 2018. I'm not even sure this is comprehensive and it doesn't include things like his recordings for the Broadside Ballads albums in the early 60s before he was signed to Columbia. It includes covers of writers from Woody Guthrie to Gilbert Becaud to Willie Nelson to Curtis Mayfield to Lennon/McCartney and collaborations with The Band, Grateful Dead, Joan Baez, Mavis Staples and Wynton Marsalis amongst others and is going to make fascinating listening.
Andy
Brain half the size of a planet
Global Moderator

Loc: South West Wales

Not perfect. Never claimed to be.

« Reply #54 on: January 30, 2019, 10:42:56 AM »

Well done - I hope there enough hours in the day!

If they have differing volume levels, try MP3Gain - this tool changes volume without altering the file structure so is eminently reversible. I often use it for compilations because of this problem.

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion, C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate.

Lost in time like tears in the rain
GubGub (Al)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #55 on: January 30, 2019, 11:09:15 AM »

Well done - I hope there enough hours in the day!

If they have differing volume levels, try MP3Gain - this tool changes volume without altering the file structure so is eminently reversible. I often use it for compilations because of this problem.

Thanks Andy. I will bear that in mind.

Even since writing the above I have found two further tracks that I was not aware of. Fortunately I have not burned the discs yet so can slot them in.
RobertD
Holy expletive delighted...
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: New York City

« Reply #56 on: January 30, 2019, 02:40:18 PM »

That is really impressive Al! I really must follow suit and make some unique compilations such as this. Only question I have is how is the 184 page companion book to your set coming along?  Grin

For me I finally completed a minor part of my Richard Thompson collection by finally adding Acoustic Classics II, to go with the other Acoustic releases. Taken as a whole they are enjoyable as a fan, but I think the best out of the three is the disc of rarities.

I'm just a little shy of Surf's Up and I'm deeper than Twist and Shout....Iain Matthews
Albie
or tea, if that is your cup of tea
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #57 on: January 30, 2019, 03:00:56 PM »

Ar, it's a bostin' book. Should have been titled How To Be A Wench, of course.

How To Build A Girl, also by Caitlin, is one of the funniest books I've read in years. Should have been titled How To Build A Wench, of course.  Smiley  Might have affected sales outside of the WV and WS postcodes though.

The more I read by her, and about her, the more convinced I am that this would be a better country if she was the Prime Minister, or something important anyway.
Bridgwit (Bridget)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #58 on: January 30, 2019, 04:28:23 PM »

How To Build A Girl, also by Caitlin, is one of the funniest books I've read in years. Should have been titled How To Build A Wench, of course.  Smiley  Might have affected sales outside of the WV and WS postcodes though.

The more I read by her, and about her, the more convinced I am that this would be a better country if she was the Prime Minister, or something important anyway.

I intend to read them all, once I've read the 82 books already ready and waiting for me to read them  Roll Eyes

Today I am listening to back-to-back episodes of the Radio 4 series Soul Music. Normal people (and Simon Nicol!) talking about how various songs have affected or helped them through difficult and challenging times. Very uplifting. Simon is talking about WKWTTG BTW  Smiley

Brendan
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Barrow-in-Furness

« Reply #59 on: January 30, 2019, 10:16:10 PM »

I intend to read them all, once I've read the 82 books already ready and waiting for me to read them  Roll Eyes

Today I am listening to back-to-back episodes of the Radio 4 series Soul Music. Normal people (and Simon Nicol!) talking about how various songs have affected or helped them through difficult and challenging times. Very uplifting. Simon is talking about WKWTTG BTW  Smiley
my favourite episode of soul music is the one on Dear lord and father of mankind, probably because I love the song

"I'm only a bag of Rags in an Overall"
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 134   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: