TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
October 19, 2021, 12:51:05 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 166 167 [168] 169   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Listening to.......  (Read 543038 times)
wayne stote
Many thanks for the Doobies advice

« Reply #3340 on: October 04, 2021, 12:05:34 PM »

I'm really enjoying the new Yes album, The Quest.

I know some will question the legitimacy of the band being called Yes with no original members and without Chris Squire but on its own term, it's a delightful comfort blanket of a listen.

Isn't Steve Howe on the album?

Steve Howe's there and in good form too but he didn't join until the band's third album. Alan White is credited too but there's been a lot of debate whether someone else - Jay Schellen, who plays live with Yes, these days - has actually recorded the drumming.
Dan O.
I was the face of 2001
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #3341 on: October 04, 2021, 06:20:02 PM »

I know some will question the legitimacy of the band being called Yes with no original members and without Chris Squire but on its own term, it's a delightful comfort blanket of a listen.

Steve Howe's there and in good form too but he didn't join until the band's third album. Alan White is credited too but there's been a lot of debate whether someone else - Jay Schellen, who plays live with Yes, these days - has actually recorded the drumming.

Billy Sherwood (Yes bass player, picked by Chris Squire as his replacement) has stated that Alan White did play drums on the new album.

The Quest is certainly an improvement on their last album Heaven & Earth, a fairly decent listen, but I'm not really sure how the songs will go over with audiences - I wonder how many of them will get an airing in preference to the 50+ years glorious Yes back catalogue.
wayne stote

« Reply #3342 on: October 04, 2021, 11:44:58 PM »

Billy Sherwood (Yes bass player, picked by Chris Squire as his replacement) has stated that Alan White did play drums on the new album.

The Quest is certainly an improvement on their last album Heaven & Earth, a fairly decent listen, but I'm not really sure how the songs will go over with audiences - I wonder how many of them will get an airing in preference to the 50+ years glorious Yes back catalogue.

I'm not sharp enough to be able to tell the difference between drummers but I've no reason to doubt Billy Sherwood.

I'd like to think they'd play a whole chunk of the new one live. It's always irritating - at least to me - when bands don't make the effort. Not sure they will though.
SteveT

« Reply #3343 on: October 05, 2021, 06:39:16 AM »

I've had tickets to see Yes at the Albert Hall for about 2 years now (May 2022 the new date). They're playing 'Relayer' in full plus the usual selection I imagine. It will be interesting to see whether or not they incorporate any of 'The Quest', a song or two at most if they do.

As far as 'The Quest' is concerned, I'm in the same camp as Dan, much better than I expected without being in the league of their classic material. Nice to have a new Yes album in a gatefold sleeve though  Smiley
GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #3344 on: October 05, 2021, 11:42:26 AM »

Working my way through (and throroughly enjoying) my Bob Dylan career overview playlist in chronological order. It has 211 tracks so I am doing it over a couple of days. I have reached track 120 (Changing Of The Guards) and I am only up to 1978.
mickf
I'm old enough to have been one!
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Blackwood, South Wales

« Reply #3345 on: October 05, 2021, 03:53:50 PM »

Working my way through (and throroughly enjoying) my Bob Dylan career overview playlist in chronological order. It has 211 tracks so I am doing it over a couple of days. I have reached track 120 (Changing Of The Guards) and I am only up to 1978.

Talking of Sir Bob, I've been listening to The Dylan Project's 'Caught in the Convent' live album today. I've been driving a lot and it's been the perfect soundtrack for my travels.

If I had all the money I've spent on drink, I'd spend it on drink!
PaulT
Up pops Paul with the Flowerpot Men
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Gloucester

« Reply #3346 on: October 05, 2021, 04:27:42 PM »

Not listening just yet, but I've just downloaded a Tour bundle from DGMLIVE - King Crimson live in Europe during summer 2003.  Should keep me going for a while!

Said the straight man, to the late man...
Will S
A twinset of librarians
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: in deepest Devon

« Reply #3347 on: October 05, 2021, 05:14:04 PM »

Edward II - Manchester's Improving Daily and Dancing Tunes, which I bought in their end of summer sale recently

All the diamonds in the world
That mean anything to me,
Are conjured up by wind and sunlight
Sparkling on the sea
(Bruce Cockburn)
Nick Reg
The Dreaded
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: NEWCASTLE, STAFFS

Merry Hell are coming

« Reply #3348 on: October 06, 2021, 01:04:52 PM »

Ghosts of Rock n Roll by Phil Odgers. Its Nick Lowe meets Carbonhobo with sprinklings of Gerry Colvin and Squeeze , and guest appearances from Bobby Valentino and Sid Griffin. Whats not to like.

There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets
GubGub (Al)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #3349 on: October 07, 2021, 03:40:03 PM »

I'll Meet You Here - the new album by Dar Williams

It seems inconceivable that it is more than 25 years since I first heard Dar on a sampler cassette that came with some magazine. That sent me straight out to buy her first two albums and started a lifelong love of her music. How appropriate that the album contains a remake of her song You're Aging Well. It applies more to her than to me.
Alan2
Other peole know stuff so I don't have to
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #3350 on: October 08, 2021, 09:31:13 AM »

Spriguns  :  Revel Weird and Wild  (Esoteric CD,  2013).

Folk Rock from 1976.   Enough of Fairport and Steeleye stylee to make it likeable.

Those clever people at Esoteric are planning a boxed set of Spriguns and Mandy Morton for early next year.
wayne stote

« Reply #3351 on: October 08, 2021, 09:38:07 AM »

Spriguns  :  Revel Weird and Wild  (Esoteric CD,  2013).

Folk Rock from 1976.   Enough of Fairport and Steeleye stylee to make it likeable.

Those clever people at Esoteric are planning a boxed set of Spriguns and Mandy Morton for early next year.

I'm really looking forward to the boxed set. Great band.
wayne stote

« Reply #3352 on: October 08, 2021, 06:28:12 PM »

I've recently received my copy of the new Green Diesel album, After Comes The Dark. Early days yet but it sounds like another winner.

Love to get the chance to catch them live at some point.
Alan2
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #3353 on: October 10, 2021, 11:03:04 AM »

Stone Angel  :   Lonely Waters  (Kissing Spell  CD, 2004).

Their coneback album. Rather like an English Clannad, which is no bad thing.
Alan2
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #3354 on: October 13, 2021, 09:19:12 AM »

Shirley Collins  / Albion Country Band  :   No Roses (Mooncrest  LP).

I play Shirley Collinss albums regularly enough now, and  I've had this one since around 1986.    I was a bit late to the SC party, but had listened to Fairport since the 1970s.   No Roses is as good as any Fairportp album. And probably one of the best folk rock albums out there by anyone.  There, I've said it.   The normal IMHO qualifier applies  of course. 🙂
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: South Shropshire

« Reply #3355 on: October 13, 2021, 09:22:54 AM »

I play Shirley Collinss albums regularly enough now, and  I've had this one since around 1986.    I was a bit late to the SC party, but had listened to Fairport since the 1970s.   No Roses is as good as any Fairportp album. And probably one of the best folk rock albums out there by anyone.  There, I've said it.   The normal IMHO qualifier applies  of course. 🙂

Not sure that's as controversial an opinion as you seem to think it is, Alan.  Just a fact, I reckon... brilliant album.  I've got an original UK release cassette  Smiley

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Alan2
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #3356 on: October 13, 2021, 09:51:50 AM »

Not sure that's as controversial an opinion as you seem to think it is, Alan.  Just a fact, I reckon... brilliant album.  I've got an original UK release cassette  Smiley

Im always cautious about expressing such things David,  because I'm aware how subjective they are.

Here's another, expressed as a negative. Liege and Lief isn't the best Fairport Convention album. It's just okay. 😊
Will S
A twinset of librarians
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: in deepest Devon

« Reply #3357 on: October 13, 2021, 10:07:33 AM »

Been listening to lots of Steeleye recently, around seeing them playing on Monday evening, including the 50th Anniversary Live album, Wintersmith, Back In Line, Dodgy Bastards and now Commoners Crown

All the diamonds in the world
That mean anything to me,
Are conjured up by wind and sunlight
Sparkling on the sea
(Bruce Cockburn)
GubGub (Al)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #3358 on: October 13, 2021, 02:13:11 PM »

Here's another, expressed as a negative. Liege and Lief isn't the best Fairport Convention album. It's just okay. 😊

You'll get no traction with that around here. Believe me, I have tried.  Grin

And the greatest folk rock album is Rise Up Like The Sun by The Albion Band. Or maybe On The Shore by Trees.

But Liege and Lief was the first. Possibly.
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: South Shropshire

« Reply #3359 on: October 13, 2021, 02:39:27 PM »

You'll get no traction with that around here. Believe me, I have tried.  Grin

And the greatest folk rock album is Rise Up Like The Sun by The Albion Band. Or maybe On The Shore by Trees.

But Liege and Lief was the first. Possibly.

I've long laboured the point on here and elsewhere that L&L is my least favourite of the first five.  I recognise and acknowledge its importance, but enjoy it less than all the others. Fwiw my faves are generally Full House followed by WWDOOH and/or Unhalfbricking.  I've also presented an argument for RULTS as greatest folk-rock album (it's like a bloody echo chamber in here Smiley ), although that view is inconsistent.  Much as I adore OTS I suspect that might be pushing it just a fraction too far, but it's not a million miles away.

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Pages: 1 ... 166 167 [168] 169   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: