TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
October 17, 2021, 07:45:39 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 165 166 [167] 168 169   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Listening to.......  (Read 539794 times)
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: South Shropshire

« Reply #3320 on: September 26, 2021, 04:18:41 PM »

I'm enjoying Bright Magic, the new album by Public Service Broadcasting but it does seem to be lacking the thing which has really made their other records distinctive, the historic documentary samples, be they radio broadcasts from the blitz, interviews with striking miners or the sound of Mission Control during the Apollo 11 mission. There is nothing like that here when surely Berlin, the subject matter, would have offered up plenty of scope.

On the upside, Blue Heaven does provide a big slab of perfectly realised NDW style pop, which is never a bad thing. And the Bowie Low homage is pretty well done too.

I said something very very similar elsewhere.  The USP simply isn't there.  Yes, it's very decent mature intelligent pop music, but....ultimately, so what?

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #3321 on: September 27, 2021, 10:13:44 AM »

I'm enjoying Bright Magic, the new album by Public Service Broadcasting but it does seem to be lacking the thing which has really made their other records distinctive, the historic documentary samples, be they radio broadcasts from the blitz, interviews with striking miners or the sound of Mission Control during the Apollo 11 mission. There is nothing like that here when surely Berlin, the subject matter, would have offered up plenty of scope.

On the upside, Blue Heaven does provide a big slab of perfectly realised NDW style pop, which is never a bad thing. And the Bowie Low homage is pretty well done too.

I said something very very similar elsewhere. †The USP simply isn't there. †Yes, it's very decent mature intelligent pop music, but....ultimately, so what?

Well...decent, mature, intelligent pop music is not to be sniffed at. There is precious little of it about.
mickf
I'm old enough to have been one!
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Blackwood, South Wales

« Reply #3322 on: September 27, 2021, 11:02:52 AM »

Currently relaxing to America's debut album from 1972 and their second one 'Homecoming'.. I remember thinking back then that they were a poor man's CSNY, but on this listening, I think I may have been a tad harsh. Their first two or three albums were pretty good.

If I had all the money I've spent on drink, I'd spend it on drink!
Bridgwit (Bridget)
I had a feeling there would be stripping involved
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: South Wales

« Reply #3323 on: September 27, 2021, 11:36:58 AM »

Currently relaxing to America's debut album from 1972 and their second one 'Homecoming'.. I remember thinking back then that they were a poor man's CSNY, but on this listening, I think I may have been a tad harsh. Their first two or three albums were pretty good.
I saw them a few years back (on checking it was 12 years ago!!) in Cardiff and they were great - they'd go down well at Cropredy.

Never look down on anyone
Unless you're helping them up
Alan2
Other peole know stuff so I don't have to
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #3324 on: September 28, 2021, 09:03:15 AM »

Vingar Joe : Finer Things -  the Island Recordings   1972 - 73  (Cherry Red  3CD, 2021).

Enjoying this greatly.  Two fine voices in one band, and the other musicians are strong too.
PaulT
Up pops Paul with the Flowerpot Men
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Gloucester

« Reply #3325 on: September 28, 2021, 05:39:01 PM »

Kind of Blue. As it's 30 years since Miles died...

Said the straight man, to the late man...
Alan2
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #3326 on: September 29, 2021, 08:35:25 AM »

Kind of Blue. As it's 30 years since Miles died...

Time flies.
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: South Shropshire

« Reply #3327 on: September 29, 2021, 11:53:23 AM »

Neil's Way Down in the Rust Bucket.  I missed this when it came out.  Great fun.  

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
quodlibet (Ian)
Squeeze it, Eliseao
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Hereford. UK

In nīz bogzarad

« Reply #3328 on: October 02, 2021, 11:10:30 AM »

Loving " Bells of Lightning" the new Byrds album from Starry Eyed & Laughing. The bonus disc of covers isn't too shabby either. Rickenbackers ahoy!  Grin

A Brittunculus is not such a bad thing to be.
mickf
I'm old enough to have been one!
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Blackwood, South Wales

« Reply #3329 on: October 02, 2021, 12:27:29 PM »

Currently listening to the 'Moondance' album by Van Morrison. I'd forgotten just how good it was.

If I had all the money I've spent on drink, I'd spend it on drink!
GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #3330 on: October 02, 2021, 02:26:40 PM »

A Wonderful Hope - Late Night Final

I didn't know this existed until a couple of days ago. It is basically a solo album by J Wilgoose of Public Service Broadcasting. I now have a very inexpensive vinyl copy (with download card) courtesy of Hive and very lovely it is too if you like ambient electronica, Tangerine Dream type stuff, which I do, increasingly so.
RobertD
Holy expletive delighted...
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: New York City

« Reply #3331 on: October 02, 2021, 04:55:50 PM »

The Daptone Super Soul Revue, Live At The Apollo. Just released yesterday, and I bought my copy on vinyl at my local shop last night. Fantastic, fantastic set with performances by Saun & Starr, The Sugarman 3, Naomi Shelton & The Gospel Queens, Menahan Street Band, Como Mamas, Charles Bradley, Budos Band, Antibalas, before the inevitable conclusion with Sharon Jones & The Dap-Kings. But like with the Daptone family on the albums, there was a lot of people from one band joining the others. I was really sad to have missed this at the time, because I knew it would be great, so happy to have this memento. The vinyl comes with a 40 page plus book of wonderful photos. For fans of soul, and what Daptone does, this is essential.

I'm just a little shy of Surf's Up and I'm deeper than Twist and Shout....Iain Matthews
Alan2
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #3332 on: October 03, 2021, 11:33:54 AM »

Dave Cousins  :  The Boy in the Sailor Suit  (Esoteric  remastered CD, 2020).
bassline (Mike)
the Spens is mightier with the Swarb
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Wolverhampton

« Reply #3333 on: October 03, 2021, 02:08:12 PM »

Currently listening to the 'Moondance' album by Van Morrison. I'd forgotten just how good it was.

There are certain songs and albums I wish I really could forget about and hear them 'for the first time again' - maybe I will in a few years - but 'It Stoned Me' was one I will never forget hearing for the first time.
I was playing pool in a pub I'd never been to before and it came on the jukebox. Much to the agitation of my opponent, I didn't take my shot as I was transfixed.
I went out and bought the album the next day.

Well I never did..
Ian_
blazzawazzada brortewtomay
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Warwickshire

None the wiser

« Reply #3334 on: October 03, 2021, 09:50:56 PM »

There are certain songs and albums I wish I really could forget about and hear them 'for the first time again' - maybe I will in a few years - but 'It Stoned Me' was one I will never forget hearing for the first time.
I was playing pool in a pub I'd never been to before and it came on the jukebox. Much to the agitation of my opponent, I didn't take my shot as I was transfixed.
I went out and bought the album the next day.

This deserves a 'Like'  Cheesy

The most beautiful experience we can have is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science." Albert Einstein
wayne stote
Many thanks for the Doobies advice

« Reply #3335 on: October 03, 2021, 11:36:04 PM »

I'm really enjoying the new Yes album, The Quest.

I know some will question the legitimacy of the band being called Yes with no original members and without Chris Squire but on its own term, it's a delightful comfort blanket of a listen.
Adam
I'm looking at you, Cool Cat!
Folkcorp Guru

I'm a llama!

« Reply #3336 on: October 04, 2021, 08:35:19 AM »

A crisp autumnal day, perfect for a bit of Sandy Denny. Iíve gone for Iíve Always Kept a Unicorn (dreadful title), which has some fantastic demo versions. I really like the acoustic demo of Autopsy, which highlights just what a fantastic songwriter she was. I prefer the stripped back versions on this set to the solo album versions, which tend to be a bit smothered with strings. As for that voiceÖ..
Alan2
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #3337 on: October 04, 2021, 08:57:49 AM »

I'm a real Sandy fan and I like this compilation too. Rendezvous and Like an Old Fashioned Waltz are indeed covered in strings, but I love them all the same.
blagden
Money for
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: South God's Own Country

I am a rebel - whilst ever my wife will let me be!

« Reply #3338 on: October 04, 2021, 09:16:18 AM »

I'm really enjoying the new Yes album, The Quest.

I know some will question the legitimacy of the band being called Yes with no original members and without Chris Squire but on its own term, it's a delightful comfort blanket of a listen.

Isn't Steve Howe on the album?
SteveT

« Reply #3339 on: October 04, 2021, 09:31:00 AM »

Steve Howe is on it and is the de facto leader of Yes now - however, he is not an original member as he took over guitar duties from Peter Banks from Yes' 3rd album onward, nipped out for the Trevor Rabin years and then returned in the 90's.
Pages: 1 ... 165 166 [167] 168 169   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: