TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
October 17, 2021, 10:48:46 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 164 165 [166] 167 168 169   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Listening to.......  (Read 539895 times)
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: South Shropshire

« Reply #3300 on: September 19, 2021, 09:48:52 AM »

Bob's Springtime in New York.  In many ways, this is my Bob...how he sounded when I first got into him.  It's a nice set and surprisingly enjoyable.

I love this era. The outtakes from Infidels were one of the first bootlegs I ever owned. I have been really looking forward to this. Unfortunately I shall have to continue to look forward to it as my copy is currently scheduled to arrive on 27th.  Angry

It's on Spotify, Al.  As, unlike me, you've bought it, you can listen guilt free...

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Andy
Brain half the size of a planet
Global Moderator

Loc: South West Wales

Not perfect. Never claimed to be.

« Reply #3301 on: September 19, 2021, 11:36:21 AM »

Hawkwind. Somnia

I've got nothing to say but it's OK
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #3302 on: September 19, 2021, 11:39:15 AM »

Hawkwind. Somnia

What do you reckon, Andy?  Parts of it are very un-Hawkwindy...  I don't like it all, but bits are very good.

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Andy
Brain half the size of a planet
Global Moderator

Loc: South West Wales

Not perfect. Never claimed to be.

« Reply #3303 on: September 19, 2021, 10:46:30 PM »

Hawkwind. Somnia

What do you reckon, Andy?  Parts of it are very un-Hawkwindy...  I don't like it all, but bits are very good.
I'm trying to be kind by not passing comment... yet.

I've got nothing to say but it's OK
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #3304 on: September 20, 2021, 08:14:53 AM »

Hawkwind. Somnia

I'm trying to be kind by not passing comment... yet.

I've heard similar responses...and yet other people insist it's "a classic" (it isn't).

Bridgwit (Bridget)
I had a feeling there would be stripping involved
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: South Wales

« Reply #3305 on: September 20, 2021, 11:52:26 AM »

Decided to investigate some sols Tony Banks (Genesis not outspoken MP). It's Ok but not lighting any fires yet....

Trying to get some info on Andy Taylor, a guest singer on Still, and found this, which amused me:  Grin

"I think maybe some people are confusing Andy Taylor with John Taylor,
also of Duran Duran, who was the tall and skinny one with a pale face, and
who all the girls fancied. I think my little sister fancied him. Now
she goes for Tull's Ian Anderson.
"

Never look down on anyone
Unless you're helping them up
Alan2
Other peole know stuff so I don't have to
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #3306 on: September 20, 2021, 01:23:51 PM »

John Martyn :  The Church with One Bell  (Abbey Road  half speed mastered  LP, Record Store Day  2021).
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #3307 on: September 20, 2021, 03:01:32 PM »

Decided to investigate some sols Tony Banks (Genesis not outspoken MP). It's Ok but not lighting any fires yet....

Trying to get some info on Andy Taylor, a guest singer on Still, and found this, which amused me:  Grin

"I think maybe some people are confusing Andy Taylor with John Taylor,
also of Duran Duran, who was the tall and skinny one with a pale face, and
who all the girls fancied. I think my little sister fancied him. Now
she goes for Tull's Ian Anderson.
"

He did one album called bank statement which I promise you is every bit as boring as you'd expect from the title....

GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #3308 on: September 20, 2021, 03:55:15 PM »

Have you heard Muke Rutherford's Smallcreeps Day Bridg? Nothing like his later Mechanics stuff. It is one of my favourite Genesis related albums. I am not brave enough to go down the Tony Banks solo wormhole though.
Jules Gray
Go on, groove my truffles
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Cheltenham

What makes the buzzard buzz?

« Reply #3309 on: September 20, 2021, 05:19:38 PM »

Have you heard Muke Rutherford's Smallcreeps Day Bridg? Nothing like his later Mechanics stuff. It is one of my favourite Genesis related albums. I am not brave enough to go down the Tony Banks solo wormhole though.

You've spelled "desperate" wrong.

Jules

Now be thankful for good things below
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #3310 on: September 20, 2021, 05:37:28 PM »

Well, well, well....you've taught me something I didn't know, Al.  Never even heard of it, let alone listened to it...and you know what, it's really not a bad little album at all, especially the first side.  How is it possible that M&tM (and indeed, Genesis) became as utterly dreadful as they did?

bassline (Mike)
the Spens is mightier with the Swarb
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Wolverhampton

« Reply #3311 on: September 20, 2021, 06:07:34 PM »

Smallcreep's Day is a true lost gem. Glad there's some love for it.

My belief is that Tony Banks happened to Genesis.

It seems, to me, that he had a part in both Gabriel and Hackett quitting the band, making things difficult for both of them to remain, in various ways.

He also expressed at one point, that he felt resentment and jealousy that he is the only member not to have a successful solo career.

I realise this is a bit vague, but as I type, I'm running a bath prior to a good sleep...probably in the bath....but I can elaborate later on if anybody would like to hear/rip my head off.

Well I never did..
Brian Green

« Reply #3312 on: September 21, 2021, 12:45:15 AM »

I read the book Smallcreeps Day by Peter Currell Brown many years ago.
It is an evocative satire of working at a factory and the inspiration for the record.
I have often considered getting another copy to read again with a more worldly- wise perspective.
Bridgwit (Bridget)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #3313 on: September 21, 2021, 07:50:00 AM »

I'm about to listen to it now - thanks for this Al Smiley

I will probably never listen to any solo Tony Banks every again. Life is too short! Some of his classical stuff is ok tho.

Bridgwit (Bridget)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #3314 on: September 21, 2021, 07:51:03 AM »

Well, well, well....you've taught me something I didn't know, Al.  Never even heard of it, let alone listened to it...and you know what, it's really not a bad little album at all, especially the first side.  How is it possible that M&tM (and indeed, Genesis) became as utterly dreadful as they did?
Munee

Will S
A twinset of librarians
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: in deepest Devon

« Reply #3315 on: September 21, 2021, 11:23:12 AM »

For those who wish to brave "the Tony Banks solo wormhole" Grin A***** have the MP3 version of his 4CD 'best of...' compilation A Chord Too Far for £8.67, as opposed to £27 + for the physical CDs.

You're welcome...

All the diamonds in the world
That mean anything to me,
Are conjured up by wind and sunlight
Sparkling on the sea
(Bruce Cockburn)
Bridgwit (Bridget)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #3316 on: September 21, 2021, 01:19:37 PM »

For those who wish to brave "the Tony Banks solo wormhole" Grin A***** have the MP3 version of his 4CD 'best of...' compilation A Chord Too Far for £8.67, as opposed to £27 + for the physical CDs.

You're welcome...
Gone up to £8.69 just by a few of us looking at it!   Shocked

I think I'll leave his wormhole well alone...

Ian_
blazzawazzada brortewtomay
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Warwickshire

None the wiser

« Reply #3317 on: September 21, 2021, 01:57:18 PM »

You're welcome...
Gone up to £8.69 just by a few of us looking at it!   Shocked

I think I'll leave his wormhole well alone...

* c53e19770a12e34e4df8826552f243ec.jpg (9.06 KB, 240x240 - viewed 136 times.)

The most beautiful experience we can have is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science." Albert Einstein
Ian_
blazzawazzada brortewtomay
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Warwickshire

None the wiser

« Reply #3318 on: September 21, 2021, 01:59:24 PM »

To be fair, I think Tony put his best work into Genesis and was their single most consistent songwriter over their first decade or so  Smiley

Back on topic, I'm listening to Steve Gunn's new album "Other you"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FJI9mb4UdiU

The most beautiful experience we can have is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science." Albert Einstein
GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #3319 on: September 25, 2021, 05:53:03 PM »

I'm enjoying Bright Magic, the new album by Public Service Broadcasting but it does seem to be lacking the thing which has really made their other records distinctive, the historic documentary samples, be they radio broadcasts from the blitz, interviews with striking miners or the sound of Mission Control during the Apollo 11 mission. There is nothing like that here when surely Berlin, the subject matter, would have offered up plenty of scope.

On the upside, Blue Heaven does provide a big slab of perfectly realised NDW style pop, which is never a bad thing. And the Bowie Low homage is pretty well done too.
Pages: 1 ... 164 165 [166] 167 168 169   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: