TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
January 19, 2022, 10:56:33 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 159 160 [161] 162 163 ... 180   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Listening to.......  (Read 605510 times)
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Caer

« Reply #3200 on: August 16, 2021, 12:10:43 PM »

I've just received the new Midnight North CD 'There's Always a Story'. It's up to their usual high standard, I'm pleased to say. Early favourites are 'Stars Falling' and 'Give Away the Ghost'. A bonus live CD came with it, which was recorded in San Fransisco and featured some special guests - Phil Lesh and Bob Weir - Grahame Lesh, guitarist and singer with Midnight North, is Phil's son.

I know Grahame from playing with Phil, of course, but wasn't really aware of Midnight North until recently.  They're very likeable, but the lady singer's voice (sorry, forgotten her name) is so much stronger than Grahame's that the tracks he sings lead on suffer by comparison, I think.

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #3201 on: August 17, 2021, 01:58:42 PM »

All as a result of recent reading matter:

Koyaanisqatsi - Philip Glass
Hunky Dory - David Bowie
IV - Led Zeppelin
Nick Reg
The Dreaded
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: NEWCASTLE, STAFFS

Merry Hell are coming

« Reply #3202 on: August 17, 2021, 02:11:03 PM »

Carbonhobo - Memoirs From The Crooked Road (Twice)
Lucinda Williams - West
Jason Crest - Turquoise Tandem Cycle

There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets
GubGub (Al)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #3203 on: August 17, 2021, 02:58:57 PM »

Lucinda Williams - West

Review? I am tempted by this but have no real idea of what sort of style of music it is beyond Neil McCartney's involvement and guest appearances from various Merry Hellers.
Nick Reg
The Dreaded
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Merry Hell are coming

« Reply #3204 on: August 17, 2021, 03:14:47 PM »

Lucinda Williams - West

Review? I am tempted by this but have no real idea of what sort of style of music it is beyond Neil McCartney's involvement and guest appearances from various Merry Hellers.

Its a great album and a real grower. Not much like MH at all but plenty of fiddle. The two singles are on youtube and are pretty representative. I've had it quite a while as I got it pre release from Mike Jones and am playing it a lot. Mrs Reg loves it.

mickf
I'm old enough to have been one!
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Blackwood, South Wales

« Reply #3205 on: August 17, 2021, 06:10:44 PM »

I've just received the new Midnight North CD 'There's Always a Story'. It's up to their usual high standard, I'm pleased to say. Early favourites are 'Stars Falling' and 'Give Away the Ghost'. A bonus live CD came with it, which was recorded in San Fransisco and featured some special guests - Phil Lesh and Bob Weir - Grahame Lesh, guitarist and singer with Midnight North, is Phil's son.

I know Grahame from playing with Phil, of course, but wasn't really aware of Midnight North until recently.  They're very likeable, but the lady singer's voice (sorry, forgotten her name) is so much stronger than Grahame's that the tracks he sings lead on suffer by comparison, I think.

The girl singer goes by the name of Elliot Peck (when I first started listening to Midnight North I saw the name and thought it was a bloke!)

If I had all the money I've spent on drink, I'd spend it on drink!
John From Austin
Donovan is my new texting buddy
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Austin

« Reply #3206 on: August 17, 2021, 09:41:45 PM »

Just finished The Beatles - On Air - Live at the BBC Volume 2

My verdict is that the music is fab (and generally sounds great), the between-song messing about is a nice time capsule, and the BBC interviewers are twits. For example, a six-minute interview with John Lennon focuses almost entirely on the size of his house. At least they let George talk a bit about music (although he did not identify any musicians he admired or emulated).
Paul
I've Got A Bike

Loc: Hampshire

I was a fair young curate then.

« Reply #3207 on: August 17, 2021, 09:53:14 PM »

My verdict is that the music is fab (and generally sounds great), the between-song messing about is a nice time capsule, and the BBC interviewers are twits. For example, a six-minute interview with John Lennon focuses almost entirely on the size of his house. At least they let George talk a bit about music (although he did not identify any musicians he admired or emulated).

Nice article about George in this months Guitar mag, and it does cover a lot of the musicians who worked on All Things Must Pass.

Paul

Nick Reg
The Dreaded
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Merry Hell are coming

« Reply #3208 on: August 17, 2021, 11:37:57 PM »

If you watched the One Show you'd know that nothing has changed

Nick Reg
The Dreaded
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Merry Hell are coming

« Reply #3209 on: August 18, 2021, 06:04:02 PM »

If you watched the One Show you'd know that nothing has changed

Danny and the Champs - Los Campeones

Tedeschi Trucks - Layla  (4 superb guitarists on stage together and Susan singing, what better- apparently Derek is currently the highest earning guitarist in the world). They do the song justice and a lot more.

Ducks Deluxe - West Texas Trucking Board

Sutherland Bros - Dream Kid

davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #3210 on: August 18, 2021, 08:47:14 PM »

Tedeschi Trucks - Layla  (4 superb guitarists on stage together and Susan singing, what better- apparently Derek is currently the highest earning guitarist in the world). They do the song justice and a lot more.

I'd love to see the evidence to back that stat up.  I find it almost impossible to believe.  

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Nick Reg
The Dreaded
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Merry Hell are coming

« Reply #3211 on: August 18, 2021, 10:01:21 PM »

I'd love to see the evidence to back that stat up.  I find it almost impossible to believe.  
People with Money magazine. I can put a link up when I get to my PC.

davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #3212 on: August 19, 2021, 02:08:15 PM »

A little live The Action.  There ain't much of it about, but this was was found in Roger Powell's attic...a tape of a rehearsal for the 1998 Mod Rally reunion.  The FB tease suggests we should hear more of this tape... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XlWo3HJ_kSk

ps what I want to be listening to is the new 37-disc Caravan set which has just landed in Chester...but I'm in Shropshire so that will have to wait for the weekend!

GubGub (Al)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #3213 on: August 19, 2021, 04:21:01 PM »

The presence of two songs on the upcoming Bootleg Series box and the issue of two limited edition singles during 2021 has forced a revision to my playlist of orphaned Bob Dylan tracks (songs or versions that do not appear on albums or compilations issued under his own name).

Now listening to the reconfigured version. It runs to the equivalent of 5 and a bit CDs.
Jules Gray
Go on, groove my truffles
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Cheltenham

What makes the buzzard buzz?

« Reply #3214 on: August 19, 2021, 11:42:59 PM »

The presence of two songs on the upcoming Bootleg Series box and the issue of two limited edition singles during 2021 has forced a revision to my playlist of orphaned Bob Dylan tracks (songs or versions that do not appear on albums or compilations issued under his own name).

Now listening to the reconfigured version. It runs to the equivalent of 5 and a bit CDs.

More details please, Gubs.

Jules

Now be thankful for good things below
John From Austin
Donovan is my new texting buddy
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Austin

« Reply #3215 on: August 20, 2021, 01:38:16 AM »

A little live The Action.  There ain't much of it about, but this was was found in Roger Powell's attic...a tape of a rehearsal for the 1998 Mod Rally reunion.  The FB tease suggests we should hear more of this tape... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XlWo3HJ_kSk

ps what I want to be listening to is the new 37-disc Caravan set which has just landed in Chester...but I'm in Shropshire so that will have to wait for the weekend!

By the power of Grey Skull! That's a lot of Caravan.
GubGub (Al)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #3216 on: August 20, 2021, 07:28:45 AM »

More details please, Gubs.

Jules

Well, you know the original track listing. Don't Ever Take Yourself Away and Let It Be Me will be on Springtime In New York but this year has seen the Jokerman/I and I Reggae Remixes EP and new single containing a gorgeous version of Blind Willie McTell which will not appear on the box. I have also obtained a better copy of Angel Flying Too
Close To The Ground
and discovered that the B side version of Trouble In Mind is not the same as the one on the TIM box so I need to add that too.
malcolm talking elephant
MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM

« Reply #3217 on: August 20, 2021, 09:36:31 AM »

Crash Test Dummies 1993 album God Shuffled His Feet.

MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM
Andy
Brain half the size of a planet
Global Moderator

Loc: South West Wales

Not perfect. Never claimed to be.

« Reply #3218 on: August 20, 2021, 10:48:25 AM »

Crash Test Dummies 1993 album God Shuffled His Feet.
It's a great album.

In Leslie Villas this morning, I'm listening to Free.

The revolution will not be televised
The revolution will be no re-run, brothers
The revolution will be live
Jules Gray
Go on, groove my truffles
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Cheltenham

What makes the buzzard buzz?

« Reply #3219 on: August 20, 2021, 11:15:55 AM »

Well, you know the original track listing. Don't Ever Take Yourself Away and Let It Be Me will be on Springtime In New York but this year has seen the Jokerman/I and I Reggae Remixes EP and new single containing a gorgeous version of Blind Willie McTell which will not appear on the box. I have also obtained a better copy of Angel Flying Too
Close To The Ground
and discovered that the B side version of Trouble In Mind is not the same as the one on the TIM box so I need to add that too.

Only heard about that alternate Blind Willie McTell yesterday and the reggae remixes EP is news to me.  Wow.  Where can I hear these gems?

Jules

Now be thankful for good things below
Pages: 1 ... 159 160 [161] 162 163 ... 180   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: