TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
September 16, 2021, 12:07:14 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 156 157 [158] 159 160 ... 165   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Listening to.......  (Read 517621 times)
Bridgwit (Bridget)
I had a feeling there would be stripping involved
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: South Wales

« Reply #3140 on: July 26, 2021, 11:10:16 AM »

Today's progfest is this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xZnSXOdBI3k by German band My Solid Ground, which progarchives.com tells me is:

... a 13-minute epic of dark, heavy space rock with crunching guitars and acid riffs, distorted vocals, lots of long droning keyboards - imagine a mix of early FLOYD ("One of These Days") and THIRSTY MOON.

They're not wrong!  Cheesy

Never look down on anyone
Unless you're helping them up
Ian_
blazzawazzada brortewtomay
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Warwickshire

None the wiser

« Reply #3141 on: July 26, 2021, 04:36:49 PM »

Thanks Bridg   Cheesy

I'm listening to some spacey psych rock too!

https://sixtonnesdechairrecords.bandcamp.com/track/anicha

The most beautiful experience we can have is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science." Albert Einstein
Bridgwit (Bridget)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #3142 on: July 26, 2021, 10:54:50 PM »

Thanks Bridg   Cheesy

I'm listening to some spacey psych rock too!

https://sixtonnesdechairrecords.bandcamp.com/track/anicha

Thank you! Earmarked for tomorrow  Cheesy

DarrenWilliams

Loc: St Helens

« Reply #3143 on: July 27, 2021, 09:30:11 AM »

Maggot Brain by Funkadelic.  Really great guitar workout. Not sure if it's representative of Funkadelic (I expect not), but it's made me want to explore a bit more.
Jules Gray
Go on, groove my truffles
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Cheltenham

What makes the buzzard buzz?

« Reply #3144 on: July 27, 2021, 11:22:05 AM »

Maggot Brain by Funkadelic.  Really great guitar workout. Not sure if it's representative of Funkadelic (I expect not), but it's made me want to explore a bit more.

It's not in their usual style, although they did do a few other slow-burning mainly-instrumental tracks.  But Maggot Brain is the standout track of that kind of music.  Try listening to the whole album and you'll get a flavour of what else they did.  They were pretty diverse.

Jules

Now be thankful for good things below
DarrenWilliams

Loc: St Helens

« Reply #3145 on: July 27, 2021, 01:32:04 PM »

It's not in their usual style, although they did do a few other slow-burning mainly-instrumental tracks.  But Maggot Brain is the standout track of that kind of music.  Try listening to the whole album and you'll get a flavour of what else they did.  They were pretty diverse.

Jules

Cheers, on to it!
Alan2
Other peole know stuff so I don't have to
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #3146 on: July 27, 2021, 03:39:53 PM »

Various Soft Machine CDs. I seem to have  quite a few. There's lots of live stuff to choose from, of varying sound quality. I particularly like the  BBC concert recording. (Windsong CD, 1994).
PaulT
Up pops Paul with the Flowerpot Men
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Gloucester

« Reply #3147 on: July 27, 2021, 07:24:06 PM »

"Black Dub" by, er, Black Dub (Daniel Lanois and friends do their funky/souley/dubby thang, rather entertainingly).

Followed by the Crims' 2021 Tour Box 2CD set - the by now usual mix of live/(largely) unreleased tracks and a couple of teasers from forthcoming releases (Frippertronics "Exposure" boxed set anyone? I'm in!)

Said the straight man, to the late man...
Jim G
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Bridport ,Dorset

« Reply #3148 on: July 27, 2021, 11:26:54 PM »

Various Soft Machine CDs. I seem to have  quite a few. There's lots of live stuff to choose from, of varying sound quality. I particularly like the  BBC concert recording. (Windsong CD, 1994).

I love some of the really early lpre 4 era) live stuff that has started to appear on cd since the technology to remaster them has become  good enough to rescue really poor recordings to a standard acceptable to the human ear.middle Earth Masters and some of the other Cuneiform Records releases  from the late 60s early 70s are interseting
Alan2
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #3149 on: July 28, 2021, 08:54:47 AM »

I love some of the really early lpre 4 era) live stuff that has started to appear on cd since the technology to remaster them has become  good enough to rescue really poor recordings to a standard acceptable to the human ear.middle Earth Masters and some of the other Cuneiform Records releases  from the late 60s early 70s are interseting

Yes, I think i have about 3 of the Cuneiform CDs, and they are of good quality.  Noisette  , Virtually.....
Ian_
blazzawazzada brortewtomay
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Warwickshire

None the wiser

« Reply #3150 on: July 28, 2021, 06:28:03 PM »

Under Bridgwit's influence, I'm exploring the more obscure areas of seventies music....

I'd never heard of this lot before - could be described as prog-funk-psych rock  Shocked

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-kDtG8_9GWE

The most beautiful experience we can have is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science." Albert Einstein
Bridgwit (Bridget)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #3151 on: July 29, 2021, 10:17:33 AM »

Under Bridgwit's influence, I'm exploring the more obscure areas of seventies music....

I'd never heard of this lot before - could be described as prog-funk-psych rock  Shocked

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-kDtG8_9GWE
Oooo I like this!  Cheesy  Cheesy

GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #3152 on: July 29, 2021, 02:48:54 PM »

Common Ground - the new album by Big Big Train. This is only my second Big Big Train album. Oh dear. Within the first two minutes there are clunky references to lockdown and social distancing which will date the album by next week and which are things nobody will want to hear about once we get out of this mess. Certainly not for pleasure.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2021, 03:07:00 PM by GubGub (Al) » Logged
Alan2
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #3153 on: July 29, 2021, 03:56:28 PM »

Having another eclectic sort of day.

Mott the Hoople 'The Island Years'
Rosie Thomas 'When We Were Small'
Rick Wakeman 'Piano Odyssey'
and I'm just about to listen to Steeleye Span 'Dodgy Bastards'

Love that era Mott the Hoople.
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: South Shropshire

« Reply #3154 on: July 29, 2021, 05:06:56 PM »

Common Ground - the new album by Big Big Train. This is only my second Big Big Train album. Oh dear. Within the first two minutes there are clunky references to lockdown and social distancing which will date the album by next week and which are things nobody will want to hear about once we get out of this mess. Certainly not for pleasure.

Is it not possible to write lyrics about current events, then?  I've been in an enthusiastic crowd singing along with Stand Down Margaret long after she was in her grave...  

Maybe this is just clunky?  I tried a few albums after Jude's collaboration...and none of the hundreds of lengthy Prog articles extolling their virtues really enthuses me to try more.  Dave Gregory not being in them any more is a big negative too...

Here, I've been having an unintentionally Scots day...lots of Jackie Leven and Alasdair Roberts.

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Nick Reg
The Dreaded
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: NEWCASTLE, STAFFS

Merry Hell are coming

« Reply #3155 on: July 29, 2021, 05:23:35 PM »

Having another eclectic sort of day.

Mott the Hoople 'The Island Years'
Rosie Thomas 'When We Were Small'
Rick Wakeman 'Piano Odyssey'
and I'm just about to listen to Steeleye Span 'Dodgy Bastards'

Love that era Mott the Hoople.

Ditto and nice to have a mention for Rosie Thomas

There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets
GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #3156 on: July 29, 2021, 05:53:20 PM »

Is it not possible to write lyrics about current events, then?  I've been in an enthusiastic crowd singing along with Stand Down Margaret long after she was in her grave...  

Maybe this is just clunky?  I tried a few albums after Jude's collaboration...and none of the hundreds of lengthy Prog articles extolling their virtues really enthuses me to try more.  Dave Gregory not being in them any more is a big negative too...

Here, I've been having an unintentionally Scots day...lots of Jackie Leven and Alasdair Roberts.

Certainly it is. But not all of them will endure. I am with you on Stand Down Margaret but that is surely in part down to the circumstances when I first heard it and its unstoppable groove. The words "lockdown" and "social distancing" are going to have a limited shelf life and I am sure we will not want to revisit them with any sense of nostalgia. But yes, it may just be clunky, plain and simple. The rest of the album is a vast improvement over the opening track. I'm not sure that prog was ever designed to strive for relevance.  Grin
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: South Shropshire

« Reply #3157 on: July 29, 2021, 06:07:55 PM »

I'm not sure that prog was ever designed to strive for relevance.  Grin

Lol Grin

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Alan2
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #3158 on: August 01, 2021, 01:45:40 PM »

Kevin Ayers Harvest albums.

The 2003 CD remasters, which sound pretty good.
Bridgwit (Bridget)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #3159 on: August 02, 2021, 11:08:41 AM »

I've been reading about coastal erosion on the California coastline on the weekend and watching documentaries on YouTube (well, I found it interesting... Undecided) , so I'm taking a trip back to the West Coast of the 60's  Afro

Jefferson Airplane, namely Surrealistic Pillow, their first with Grace Slick.
Then onto the Byrds (Turn! Turn! Turn!), The Mamas & The Papas (eponymous) and probably finish off with some Moby Grape (Wow)

Just off to put on a cheesecloth blouse and love beads....  Grin

Pages: 1 ... 156 157 [158] 159 160 ... 165   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: