TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
March 08, 2021, 09:10:09 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 121 122 [123] 124 125 ... 134   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Listening to.......  (Read 339581 times)
GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #2440 on: January 16, 2021, 10:55:25 PM »

To be followed by a lot of Immaculate Fools, courtesy of the new Cherry Red boxed set of their complete studio albums plus a newly compiled live disc. I loved their first two albums back in my college days but lost touch after that.

I wonder - did they ever stop sounding like Psychedelic Furs?

Jules

I can probably answer your question now. I had only ever previously heard the first two albums. Assuming there is a Furs resemblance therein, the sound changes thereafter. The third album is slick mid 80s jangle pop akin to something like Cutting Crew. The fourth album tilts toward Waterboys territory. That is as far as I have got as yet.

I did not realize until reading the band's website that Kevin Weatherall is now in his mid 70s so was a good deal older than his mid 80s contemporaries.
Jules Gray
Go on, groove my truffles
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Cheltenham

What makes the buzzard buzz?

« Reply #2441 on: January 17, 2021, 11:22:12 AM »

Alan Price - Between Today and Yesterday.  Superb.

Jules

Now be thankful for good things below
RobertD
Holy expletive delighted...
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: New York City

« Reply #2442 on: January 17, 2021, 06:32:55 PM »

Probably one of the strangest CD’s in my collection-That’s All Folks! Cartoon Songs From Merrie Melodies & Looney Tunes. It is actually very well collated, with a wonderful booklet about the people who created them. Like any good musical comedy, the music has to be ‘sold’ and be authentic, so the orchestras and singers involved were really quite talented. There are snippets of some of the great standards here and there like Java Jive and I love to singa...by ‘Owl Jolson’ !  Cheesy

I'm just a little shy of Surf's Up and I'm deeper than Twist and Shout....Iain Matthews
Jim
Klaatu barada nikto
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: manchester

Here To Help

« Reply #2443 on: January 17, 2021, 06:59:41 PM »

Probably one of the strangest CD’s in my collection-That’s All Folks! Cartoon Songs From Merrie Melodies & Looney Tunes. It is actually very well collated, with a wonderful booklet about the people who created them. Like any good musical comedy, the music has to be ‘sold’ and be authentic, so the orchestras and singers involved were really quite talented. There are snippets of some of the great standards here and there like Java Jive and I love to singa...by ‘Owl Jolson’ !  Cheesy

The singing frog has to be in there!

The Dude abides
GubGub (Al)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #2444 on: January 18, 2021, 01:29:12 PM »

American Head - The Flaming Lips

It really is thoroughly lovely. There is nothing with the rush of Race For The Prize or Do You Realise or Superman but it has a winningly dreamy (druggy? Given the subject matter) vibe throughout and is nicely melodic.
GubGub (Al)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #2445 on: January 21, 2021, 04:18:17 PM »

Anthologies by Family and The Idle Race after hearing Mike Batt talking about working with them (& Hapsash & The Coloured Coat) at Liberty Records in the late 60s at the start of his career. I am enjoying The Idle Race in particular.
DarrenWilliams

Loc: St Helens

« Reply #2446 on: January 21, 2021, 04:42:09 PM »

I've been listening to the three Wishbone Ash reunion albums that have recently cropped up on Spotify - Nouveau Calls, Here To Hear and Strange Affair (minus original drummer Steve Upton). Nouveau Calls is entirely instrumental and produced by William Orbit. I remember  first hearing this not long after it was released, expecting something like their first 4 albums and being quite disappointed. In fact, it's quite enjoyable although of it's time with 80s sequenced keyboards. Here To Hear has some decent songs and sounds a bit AOR (an improvement on their early 80s heavy metal albums) but Strange Affair is a mixed bag dominated by Andy Powell. Not overly keen on his voice or songwriting and consequently haven't listened to much Wishbone Ash produced after this period.
wayne stote
Many thanks for the Doobies advice

« Reply #2447 on: January 21, 2021, 06:09:08 PM »

Been enjoying Marvin, Welch & Farrar. What a great band they were. The first album, especially, is outstanding.
PaulT
Memory jogger
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Gloucester

« Reply #2448 on: January 21, 2021, 06:37:11 PM »

Anthologies by Family and The Idle Race after hearing Mike Batt talking about working with them (& Hapsash & The Coloured Coat) at Liberty Records in the late 60s at the start of his career. I am enjoying The Idle Race in particular.

Ah, Hapshash... while on holiday in Dorset in 1972, I bought - in Woolworths in Blandford Forum - 2 LP records from a clearance bin for a a few pence each - one was the original Deram edition of "The Cheerful Insanity of Giles, Giles and Fripp", and the other was Hapshash's "Featuring the Human Host and the Heavy Metal Kids" - pressed in "psychedelic" vinyl.  I dread to think what these might be worth now to an avid collector. As you may have guessed, I disposed of them some years ago - probably at house-moving time.  (I also had the other Hapshash LP - Western Flier - which I paid about 50p for in a 2nd hand shop).

Tonight's listening will be the recently-made-available release of King Crimson's "B-Boom".

Said the straight man, to the late man...
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Caer

« Reply #2449 on: January 22, 2021, 07:41:27 AM »

Ah, Hapshash... while on holiday in Dorset in 1972, I bought - in Woolworths in Blandford Forum - 2 LP records from a clearance bin for a a few pence each - one was the original Deram edition of "The Cheerful Insanity of Giles, Giles and Fripp", and the other was Hapshash's "Featuring the Human Host and the Heavy Metal Kids" - pressed in "psychedelic" vinyl.  I dread to think what these might be worth now to an avid collector. As you may have guessed, I disposed of them some years ago - probably at house-moving time.  (I also had the other Hapshash LP - Western Flier - which I paid about 50p for in a 2nd hand shop).

Tonight's listening will be the recently-made-available release of King Crimson's "B-Boom".

In decent condition both are £500+ albums.  Hey, I'm here to help, you know...  Wink Grin

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Bingers (Chris)
Day saved by donated doughnuts
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Essex

Trying to be young!

« Reply #2450 on: January 22, 2021, 04:04:32 PM »

Nothing to do with recent conversations on this page but been listening to both the Runrig live albums this afternoon (namely Party on the Moor and The Last Dance). Stirring stuff and yes I was singing along at the top of my voice and I don’t care!!!

Born to Run (but not very fast)
Nick Reg
The Dreaded
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: NEWCASTLE, STAFFS

Merry Hell are coming

« Reply #2451 on: January 22, 2021, 04:19:10 PM »

Nothing to do with recent conversations on this page but been listening to both the Runrig live albums this afternoon (namely Party on the Moor and The Last Dance). Stirring stuff and yes I was singing along at the top of my voice and I don’t care!!!

I have always found Runrig and Embrace the two most sing along bands going, closely followed by Merry Hell and Oysterband.  Guaranteed sore throats all round.

There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets
Will S
A twinset of librarians
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: near Aldbrickham, in the Royal County

« Reply #2452 on: January 22, 2021, 06:16:59 PM »

I have always found Runrig and Embrace the two most sing along bands going, closely followed by Merry Hell and Oysterband.  Guaranteed sore throats all round.

What about Once In A Lifetime? One of my favourite live albums.  I got the two German Rockpalast live concerts (1996 and 2001) for Christmas.  Haven't watched the DVDs yet, but I have a had a listen to both, and they are indeed good sing-alongs.

All the diamonds in the world
That mean anything to me,
Are conjured up by wind and sunlight
Sparkling on the sea
(Bruce Cockburn)
RobertD
Holy expletive delighted...
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: New York City

« Reply #2453 on: January 22, 2021, 08:19:29 PM »

What about Once In A Lifetime? One of my favourite live albums.  I got the two German Rockpalast live concerts (1996 and 2001) for Christmas.  Haven't watched the DVDs yet, but I have a had a listen to both, and they are indeed good sing-alongs.

In my ever so humble opinion, Runrig live albums rated top to bottom

1. Once In A Lifetime
2. The Last Dance. Also a fabulous concert film
3. Party On The Moor
4. Transmitting
5. At Celtic Connections
6. Day Of Days
7. Beat The Drum

Mostly based on originality of content and length. Once In A Lifetime still captures the energy of the band best but as I said to someone recently-Donnie brought the emotion and heart, Bruce brought the energy and soul. Both great singers, the longer Bruce was in the more relaxed and confident he got which IMHO allowed Malcolm Jones in particular to shine

I'm just a little shy of Surf's Up and I'm deeper than Twist and Shout....Iain Matthews
Alan2
Other peole know stuff so I don't have to
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #2454 on: January 23, 2021, 11:54:04 AM »

Fotheringay : Fotheringay (Island/ Caroline LP, 2018).

Also Sandy's solo albums and recordings with the Strawbs.
Nick Reg
The Dreaded
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: NEWCASTLE, STAFFS

Merry Hell are coming

« Reply #2455 on: January 23, 2021, 12:30:03 PM »

In my ever so humble opinion, Runrig live albums rated top to bottom

1. Once In A Lifetime
2. The Last Dance. Also a fabulous concert film
3. Party On The Moor
4. Transmitting
5. At Celtic Connections
6. Day Of Days
7. Beat The Drum

Mostly based on originality of content and length. Once In A Lifetime still captures the energy of the band best but as I said to someone recently-Donnie brought the emotion and heart, Bruce brought the energy and soul. Both great singers, the longer Bruce was in the more relaxed and confident he got which IMHO allowed Malcolm Jones in particular to shine

There is no bottom , only runners up (copyright Bargain Hunt)

There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets
Col D

Loc: South Cheshire

« Reply #2456 on: January 24, 2021, 04:23:13 PM »

Pauline Murray - Elements. Only her third solo album in 40 years but pretty impressive on first listen.
GubGub (Al)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #2457 on: January 25, 2021, 03:01:29 PM »

Neil Young's Archives Volume 1.

I didn't buy this when appeared a decade or so ago, feeling that it was overpriced and being short of cash at the time. Since then it has become pretty scarce and horrendously expensive on the resale market. Then, last week, by pure fluke I lucked in to a pristine second hand copy of the CD edition on Amazon for about a quarter of the cheapest price I have seen elsewhere and significantly less than its original retail price.  Smiley
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Caer

« Reply #2458 on: January 25, 2021, 03:06:00 PM »

I didn't buy this when appeared a decade or so ago, feeling that it was overpriced and being short of cash at the time. Since then it has become pretty scarce and horrendously expensive on the resale market. Then, last week, by pure fluke I lucked in to a pristine second hand copy of the CD edition on Amazon for about a quarter of the cheapest price I have seen elsewhere and significantly less than its original retail price.  Smiley

Wow, how strange  Shocked

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
GubGub (Al)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #2459 on: January 25, 2021, 04:37:44 PM »

Wow, how strange  Shocked

Seller didn't know what they had I presume.
Pages: 1 ... 121 122 [123] 124 125 ... 134   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: