TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
March 04, 2021, 06:11:49 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 113 114 [115] 116 117 ... 133   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Listening to.......  (Read 336809 times)
Jules Gray
Go on, groove my truffles
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Cheltenham

What makes the buzzard buzz?

« Reply #2280 on: December 08, 2020, 06:01:05 PM »

Sort your quote posts out, lads!

Jules

Edit: Done Smiley

Now be thankful for good things below
GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #2281 on: December 09, 2020, 09:47:21 AM »

The Christmas season begins for me on 9 December. It is going to be a difficult one this year for all sorts of reasons but I am kicking it off with a first listen to A Midwinter Miscellany by Ashley Hutchings, Becky Mills and Blair Dunlop.

It is quite lovely. A little more wistful and spare than the Albion Christmas Band albums but fans of the latter will definitely enjoy it. Very pleasing to have a new seasonal album to listen to.
Nick
Calendar Boy
Administrator

Loc: South Oxon

Block and Chip

« Reply #2282 on: December 09, 2020, 10:31:03 AM »

Listening to Harold Budd & Robin Guthrie - An hour, a day, no more...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hQKGP3J6Q9s&feature=emb_title

and drinking coffee and writing stuff.

You've got questions, we've got assumptions
Alan2
Other peole know stuff so I don't have to
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #2283 on: December 09, 2020, 02:27:45 PM »

Gordon Lightfoot : Complete Greatest Hits (WB CD).
mickf
Nevertheless, quite entertaining
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Blackwood, South Wales

« Reply #2284 on: December 09, 2020, 05:21:49 PM »

The Christmas season begins for me on 9 December. It is going to be a difficult one this year for all sorts of reasons but I am kicking it off with a first listen to A Midwinter Miscellany by Ashley Hutchings, Becky Mills and Blair Dunlop.

It is quite lovely. A little more wistful and spare than the Albion Christmas Band albums but fans of the latter will definitely enjoy it. Very pleasing to have a new seasonal album to listen to.

I must give that a listen, if I can get a copy. I've been listening to my favourite seasonal album, Thea Gilmore's 'Strange Communion', which is one I return to again and again.

If I had all the money I've spent on drink, I'd spend it on drink!
GubGub (Al)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #2285 on: December 11, 2020, 09:43:03 AM »

I must give that a listen, if I can get a copy. I've been listening to my favourite seasonal album, Thea Gilmore's 'Strange Communion', which is one I return to again and again.

It is available from Talking Elephant and Amazon but the cheapest way is direct from Simon Care. Message from Simon below.

"UPDATE: We have now added the new release A Midwinter Miscellany from Ashley Hutchings, Becky Mills and Blair Dunlop. We are also SOLD OUT of Tradtional.
As we are not able to do The Albion Xmas Tour this year, we thought we would bring Ashleys famous merchandise stall to you on Facebook. If you would like to order any of our albums please send your order with payment through PayPal ... Paypal address is PayPal.me/albionxmas
All are priced at £10 each incl. pp or £25 for 3 .... Please send your address and album titles with the payment.
If you already have the albums, why not buy some for friends for Xmas !!! I will be doing a post office run on Monday, so order now to get in that delivery. Please buy from us rather than Amazon."

Or email Simon at simoncaremusic@icloud.com

I am working my way through my vast library of Christmas music in the run up to the season. This morning it is

Yo Ho Ho - Merry Xmas - The Slambovian Circus of Dreams
A Charlie Brown Christmas - Vince Guaraldi
Alan2
Other peole know stuff so I don't have to
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #2286 on: December 11, 2020, 12:23:12 PM »

Rickie Lee Jones : Live and acoustic- Naked Songs (WB CD, 1995).
mickf
Nevertheless, quite entertaining
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Blackwood, South Wales

« Reply #2287 on: December 11, 2020, 04:13:21 PM »

It is available from Talking Elephant and Amazon but the cheapest way is direct from Simon Care. Message from Simon below.

"UPDATE: We have now added the new release A Midwinter Miscellany from Ashley Hutchings, Becky Mills and Blair Dunlop. We are also SOLD OUT of Tradtional.
As we are not able to do The Albion Xmas Tour this year, we thought we would bring Ashleys famous merchandise stall to you on Facebook. If you would like to order any of our albums please send your order with payment through PayPal ... Paypal address is PayPal.me/albionxmas
All are priced at £10 each incl. pp or £25 for 3 .... Please send your address and album titles with the payment.
If you already have the albums, why not buy some for friends for Xmas !!! I will be doing a post office run on Monday, so order now to get in that delivery. Please buy from us rather than Amazon."

Or email Simon at simoncaremusic@icloud.com

I am working my way through my vast library of Christmas music in the run up to the season. This morning it is

Yo Ho Ho - Merry Xmas - The Slambovian Circus of Dreams
A Charlie Brown Christmas - Vince Guaraldi

Thanks Al.

If I had all the money I've spent on drink, I'd spend it on drink!
RobertD
Holy expletive delighted...
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: New York City

« Reply #2288 on: December 11, 2020, 04:31:13 PM »

Seasonal offering this morning for me have been all of John Fahey's wonderful Christmas albums. A quieter start to the day over coffee and working on my photo project. These are ones I especially look forward to hearing as the season gets closer.

I'm just a little shy of Surf's Up and I'm deeper than Twist and Shout....Iain Matthews
ColinB
a better way to put it
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Lancaster

« Reply #2289 on: December 11, 2020, 04:57:37 PM »

The Steve Howe Trio - New Frontier.

Good music to write xmas cards to.

Listen to my Off The Beaten Tracks radio shows on Mixcloud
https://www.mixcloud.com/cmbertram/
Chris from Fieldtown
Sorry Bob

Loc: Fieldtown, Oxon

« Reply #2290 on: December 11, 2020, 09:56:41 PM »

One of my go to choices, a seasonal album that is timeless and simply wonderful.
Sue & Chris

« Reply #2291 on: December 12, 2020, 12:43:12 AM »

Taylor Swift's 'evermore'. Genuinely worth a listen.
GubGub (Al)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #2292 on: December 12, 2020, 12:21:33 PM »

A Christmas Gift For You - Various Artists
A Dave Brubeck Christmas
Best Of 20th Century - Christmas - Stevie Wonder

While I put the decs up.

Later it will be the new reissue of Lola vs Powerman and the Moneygoround by the Kinks.
Will S
A twinset of librarians
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: near Aldbrickham, in the Royal County

« Reply #2293 on: December 12, 2020, 10:15:50 PM »

Taylor Swift's 'evermore'. Genuinely worth a listen.

Finally listened to her Folklore yesterday.  Must give the new new one a listen too.

All the diamonds in the world
That mean anything to me,
Are conjured up by wind and sunlight
Sparkling on the sea
(Bruce Cockburn)
GubGub (Al)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #2294 on: December 13, 2020, 10:05:44 AM »

Come Darkness Come Light - Mary Chapin Carpenter, probably my favourite festive album.
Angel's Christmas - Bulgarian Voices - Angelite, perfect for a Sunday morning.
Jules Gray
Go on, groove my truffles
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Cheltenham

What makes the buzzard buzz?

« Reply #2295 on: December 13, 2020, 11:06:37 AM »

Nick Lowe - The Doings boxed set.  So much quality stuff.

Jules

Now be thankful for good things below
GubGub (Al)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #2296 on: December 14, 2020, 02:17:18 PM »

Hey! Merry Christmas - The Mavericks
That Christmas Feeling - Glen Campbell
It's Christmas Man! - Brave Combo. This is the original source of Bob Dylan's Must Be Santa. I only managed to find a reasonably priced copy a year ago but it has become a real seasonal favourite.
GubGub (Al)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #2297 on: December 14, 2020, 04:01:54 PM »

Mojo Blue Christmas - Various Artists
Mojo's Festive Fifteen - Various Artists
Quality Street - Nick Lowe
Christmas In The Heart - Bob Dylan
wayne stote
Many thanks for the Doobies advice

« Reply #2298 on: December 14, 2020, 08:56:36 PM »

My festive favourites are probably Magpie Lane's three Christmas albums along with Jethro Tull's and Dan Fogelberg's The First Christmas Morning.

I've been sent a link for a new digital Roger McGuinn album, called simply Merry Christmas. Haven't had a chance to listen yet. Not sure whether it's a set of new recordings or a compilation of Folk Den songs.
Chris from Fieldtown
Sorry Bob

Loc: Fieldtown, Oxon

« Reply #2299 on: December 14, 2020, 10:53:26 PM »

In an attempt to get some immunity from the coming onslaught of Merry Xmas. Mistletoe and Wine and the usual Xmas chart fodder I've headed to Upon a Winter's Night-Cara Dillon, Lighten the Dark-Kerfuffle and Strange Communion-Thea Gilmore. Not sure what dossage is required, probably three time a day for full protection
Pages: 1 ... 113 114 [115] 116 117 ... 133   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: